IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why does my husband act this way?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why does my husband act this way?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakooooot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does my husband act this way?
    Posted: 06 April 2008 at 6:16am

Salam Sisters,

I have a question regarding how my husband acts sometimes (very rarely). My aim is not to talk crap about him but to get advice on how to pinpoint the factors that make him act this way so I can help him out with it. We share a very good marital relationship and we rarely get into arguments and fights. However, we r going through a tough time as I just moved away from my family and I tend to feel down sometimes. Everytime I mention to my husband that I am feeling depressed, instead of cheering me up, he starts getting frustrated and if i tell him that the only thing i need is his love and someone to talk to and this feeling of depression will pass, his frustration increases even more and he starts blaming me that my mood really affects him and that I am not the only person in this world who's burdened with problems and that in this mood he can never give me love etc etc and one thing leads to another and sometimes he ends up throwing stuff like breaking a glass for e.g. To me, it looks like a sign of weakness for only a person who can't control himself does these kinda trivial things but then i re-think and I don't understand how he can be this way at rare occassions when 90 percent of the time he's a very loving and patient person and does take care of me and listens to me as well. It's only when I mention i am feeling down or the word "depression" that triggers this monster inside him. Also, i must add that he has never physically abused me or hurt me and i know that he'd rather hurt himself then raise his hand on me but after these rare episodes of anger I get really scared and feel like who knows maybe he'll start hurting me as well if this thing is not cured soon? I rarely share my blues with him now cuz i am scared he would react in a weird way but sometimes when I unconsciously do end up telling him, it results in a nasty situation. I want to help him out and I am just trying to understand his psyche. I am not even the kinda wife who whines all the time or demands stuff from her husband. We have a very good relationship but is it unfair of me to feel down once in a while esp. when I am missing my family and the fact that I feel lonely at times? I need some positive advice from sisters. I don't even care about the emotional hurt his weird action causes me but I am more concerned about his health now cuz he does suffer from high blood pressure and for his age he shouldn't be. Thanks in advance.

Edited by sakooooot
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 7:09am

Seems that his temper tantrums are from immaturity and his feelings of helplessness over not being able to alter our melancholy and especially after �all� he has done for you to be happy and still you seem to want �everything� to be wonderful.  You may want to express your separation feelings during happy times as this will likely put less pressure on him and allow him to articulate his feelings as well, so when your depression returns he would have learned better ways of coping and expressing his feelings and frustrations.  Also, strive to meet new friends and purchase phone cards to keep frequent contact with your family.  Above all be patient and make plenty of dua. 

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:06am

salaams sister,

You know, moving house is a big upheaval, and perhaps this is adding to his tensions, as he does seem tense right now. You are in the process of adjustment with some things. It takes time to settle again. Also, you feel tense to a certain extent becuase you are further away from family.

try to keep busy as much as you can, and these low episodes will pass. Do you have a back yard at your new home? If so, try and get outside. the warmer weather is coming soon. And as the other sister suggests, try to meet new people. It can be so isolationg when you move area.

I'm sure that this is a minor hickup, as you say you have a good relationship usually. try to act in a positive mood when he is at home. try to relax. That will be of so much benefit to him. And you will see, I'm sure, that he will soon be back to his old self.

Take care. Let us know how you get on. 

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:12pm

Salaams and welcome to the forum,

i agree with Abuayisha and Martha.. you need to keep busy.. make new friends.. gain more Islamic knowledge. .want info for on-line courses?  

You are going through a challenging period.. moves are one of the biggest upheavals. I am sure both of you are feeling it..

Also, women like to talk about feelings..so I can say I am a bit depressed to a friend.. no problem.. She'll "get-it." Not all men do.. You need friends in your life so that you can not put so much burden on the husband to be all things.. not all of us are to each other..  it clearly is frustrating to him to not be able to hear you are happy.. and he feels he is working hard.. he may feel you are blaming him.. just an idea..

Do things togther that make you both laugh.. get outdoors (it is warmer in Canada now I hope)

Expand your box a bit.. isolation is not good for long periods.. volunteer.. do something..

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
sakooooot View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakooooot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:14pm
Thanks for your replies sisters. I really appreciate the positive encouragement. Right now I am just trying to figure out what's going on in his mind. I know he just started a new job and I just moved here etc etc. but to act in this way is pretty insane and childish esp. for a person whose normal at all times. I remember when I was a kid I sometimes used to see my dad doing these irrational things and I would think that my husband would never be like this but it turns out history is repeating itself. Maybe he needs to look into anger management or counselling? I do talk to him about these acts when we are in a good mood and he always shifts the blame on me saying I trigger it and that he doesn't need anger management cuz if that was the case he would be mad all the time. I feel restricted in being myself cuz God forbid if I am ever hit by the blues I am scared he would act this way.Also, I am trying to make new friends like I am trying to do voulnteer and stuff but it takes time to make good friends. Regardless of friends or not, a human is bound to feel down sometimes and those times are the most challenging for me cuz not only am I feeling down but I also have to take emotional torture from my husband's acts when i need his support the most. However, I am leaving everything to Allah and I know He tests us in many different ways. All i can do is forgive my husband for being so irrational and help him find ways to cure it.  
sakooooot View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakooooot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:19pm
Hayfa, I know the biggest problem right now is that I miss my friends and sisters. Guys don't like listening to the word "depression" esp. from their wives. I am trying to volunteer, in fact going for an interview on Monday. Yes, plz send me the link to online courses. Thanks for all the help.
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 3:19pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sister:

I am in a similar situation to you. I moved away from my home, but it has been almost nine years now.  The Muslims where I used to live were very united, they were warm and welcoming and I loved my Muslim Sisters there very much. My Mom also lived less than 120 miles away and my birth sisters would come visit often because we were geographically closer than we are now.

Here, well, there are many more Muslims but they are just very different. They are separated by ethnicity or cliques, and even though I have tried to make friends I just haven't been able to.

I don't understand the way they think here. I can give an example: I met a sister a few times four years ago. I do not really know her and the few times I did speak with her she was not friendly. One time she even became angry because I beat her at a board game. I never went to this sister's home nor spoke with her on the telephone, we were not that close.  Four years later I get an e-mail from her, I am not sure how she got my e-mail, asking me to call her it is very important. I didn't recognise her name on the e-mail, but I called because I didn't know what was going on. As soon as she started talkng I realised who she was, and she was calling because she was having an aqiqa the next afternoon and she wanted me to bake these special desserts I make. I was very quiet because I was thinking, HUH? I don't even really know this sister and the few times I did speak to her FOUR years earlier she was not nice to me and now she is calling me to make cakes for her aqiqa. She realised I was being quiet so she says: "Oh, well you can come to the aqiqa if you want."  I guess her plan was for me to make a couple hundred little dessert cakes, drop them off at her door before the other sisters arrived, and take off.

To me this was just amazing behavior.  And it is very typical of the community here.  I miss my family and my loving Muslim sisters from back home. I have tried to tell my husband that my Iman is suffering here but he won't move because of his work. I feel isolated and very depressed sometimes.  When I am depressed I try to talk to him about it, but he just doesn't get it. He doesn't become angry, he just glazes over and stares into space. He knows the way the community here is, but for men it is different. They don't need that personal bonding and socializing that women need. No matter how many hobbies or what type of busy work you have, you still need to connect to other people.

Unfortunately I think I am stuck in this situation, but Insha'Allah sister you will find some good friends where you are.

Writing this has made me very sad and homesick. It is so important to be in a good community. I miss that feeling of love and sisterhood so much.

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 7:00am

Shasta's Aunt.. that is very sad.. people can be SO messed up..

You know in my karate school.. we havea real community that welcomes new people, everyone is friendly to them, we seek them out etc.. And it is hard to do to that to some Muslim functions and no one talks to you or is warm and friendly.  Maybe its because we have a certain value in giving to people that permeates the community.

In karate.. we all wear a uniform... and yes we have ranks but no one is more important than another. And in fact that the longer you have been a student he moreyou are held accountable for the community. Recently we had someone visit our school. They were looking for anothe school as they had moved. They chose our school based upon our friendliness and values. Some schools are like the place you are in.. closed. And they almost "test" you before you can join them. "Are you like us?" type of thing.

Sad really..

Herei s the contact for the Institute. .I like these people and someone may be interested. http://www.zaytuna.org/distancelearning.asp

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic