IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Having doubts about hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having doubts about hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having doubts about hijab
    Posted: 06 October 2006 at 10:00am
Assalamu Alaikum,

I know there have been countless debates in this forum with regards to
hijab. I don't mean to start another one up and I ask for everyone's
patience and understanding. I have been Muslim for almost five years
now. I've been wearing the hijab for a little over a year. For that year I
have been living in a very small, mostly white Christian town. The Muslim
community here is very small and I'm the only sister who wears hijab.
That's fien, I'm not making judgements on anyone. Throughout this past
year of wearing hijab I go through periods of depression and isolation.
All of a sudden I get very paranoid about going out in public with my
hijab. I become very stressed out and end up going through a
breakdown. Afterwards, after I've recovered from that, I build my courage
up again and am ok. Recently I've been having some marital problems.
My husband and I met with the Imam earlier this week to disucss our
marital issues. I'm legally blind and that also makes me feel very
isolated. I know that my stress carries over into my married life and i'm
often very ill-tempered with my husband. Ilhamdulilah he tries to be as
patient as he can. Well, the Imam asked if my hijab was the reason I feel
depressed and stressed. I told him that i do feel stressed because of it.
He then suggested that I stop wearing hijab. I was pretty shocked by this,
knowing that I was the only woman in town who wears it, I thought he
was supportive of me. To him, there exists so many hadiths about hijab,
niqab, etc., and no one knows for sure which is correct so a woman
should just worry about being modest. The woman often come into the
mosque and their hair is still not covered. I was dead-set against his
advice, but these past couple of days I've been even more depressed,
unsure which is the right course. I am very limited by my disability and
the hijab no doubt adds to my feelings of isolatioin, despite efforts of
making friends, finding work, etc.
I hope some of you wonderful sisters may have some advice for me.
Please help a sister, especially during Ramadan.

ma3a salama
JR
Smile
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 10:38am

Assalamu alaikum Sister J.R.

Hijab is an obligation from Allah in the Qur'an, however, Allah says many times that He does not wish to make the religion hard for us.  Look hard in your heart and try to see if the hijab has just become the focus of other things that are bothering/troubling you.  If you can, with an honest deep look inside yourself, say that it is only the hijab that is causing the problem, then I would say take it off for now......

If, after taking it off, you find you are still having difficulties, then it would be safe to say that it wasn't really at the source of your problems after all.  Be honest with yourself, pray and for the sake of your faith and your sanity, do what you really feel needs to be done.

May Allah guide you and protect you.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Srya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 12:04pm

Wa Assalama Alaikum

Sister from reading your post you are feeling indifferance becasue there are some women who go to your Mosque and not wearing theirs and that you live in a small town with mostly white Christians and trust me this is normal.I am the only Muslim in my family....right now alhemdeallah. Yes, at times the indifferance was not easy to say the least but alhemdeallah  am doing well. I prayed to ALLAH swt to protect me and to remove from me the feelings I had with the hejab sometimes. I would have been shocked to perhaps I heard an Iman say that. But, Sister I think because you were shocked to me it seems you know that it is required; And I think that is a good. He should have told you ways to ask for help from Allah swt to overcome your feelings and I am sorry he did not. Just continue to pray to Allah swt to help remove these feeling that you have.  Please just be patient Sister.

Surah 3 Ayat 186
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 4:12pm
J.R. I think you should do what you think is right. What feels good in your heart. Maybe the Imam said that because of your emotional state and was trying to ease the burdon on you. I think he is correct, if you want to take it off do so, and if you feel you want to wear it again do so. I don't personally wear hijab but have many friends who do, I am proud of them. But again I think it is totally your choice, just like a man wearing a beard or not.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2006 at 6:05am

Assalamu Alaikum,

Thank you, Sisters, so much for your advice and thoughts.  I discussed everything with my husband and we agreed that hijab is just too much for me now.  I took it off yesterday.  I prayed very hard and read Qur'an.  I made dua'a and told Allah (swt) that I have to do something for my sanity.  My husband is being very supportive.  I do feel better and believe it was the hijab which was cuasing my problems.  Insha Allah when I feel mentally capable to handle things again I will put it on.  I do believe it is an obligation but like Sister said, Allah (swt) doesn't want us to be miserable with our faith.  It was getting so bad I could barely concentrate during prayers.  I felt I was depressed most of the time around my husband.  May Allah (swt) give us strength to be true to our deen.

JR

Smile
taliyya View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taliyya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2006 at 12:07pm
May Allah guide you and make you strong in your Iman sister Z.B. I understand how you're feeling. Sometimes an Islamic duty becomes so burdensome that it starts affecting other duties that you didn't have a problem with previously. Just remember that disobedience weakens your faith and it can be very hard to regain the level of faith you once had once you deliberately go down the path of disobedience. We can't blame it on Shaytan because we're in Ramadan, so it must be your Nafs. May Allah help us to control our Nafs. Ameen
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2006 at 12:33pm
I agree with Sister Ummziba,if you will loose the whole path by the cause of this heavyness comes from your hijab then delay your wearing hijab if it is the real reason,if not please also search for the other resolutions...but i see that you are not ready to wear hijab and the obligation is not came yet to you...just keep on improving yourself...may Allah help you insh'Allah...
Sky21006 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sky21006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2006 at 9:53pm

Salaam

Talliyya sister your post/comments are lovely 

But Sister J.R please note , entering paradise need sucrifices the sort of problems you are facing might be your test, be stable and careful. Read Narration of Sohaba (R).

Salaams

Originally posted by taliyya taliyya wrote:

May Allah guide you and make you strong in your Iman sister Z.B. I understand how you're feeling. Sometimes an Islamic duty becomes so burdensome that it starts affecting other duties that you didn't have a problem with previously. Just remember that disobedience weakens your faith and it can be very hard to regain the level of faith you once had once you deliberately go down the path of disobedience. We can't blame it on Shaytan because we're in Ramadan, so it must be your Nafs. May Allah help us to control our Nafs. Ameen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic