IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need support - starting to wear hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need support - starting to wear hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almostthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need support - starting to wear hijab
    Posted: 01 January 2007 at 3:03pm

Assalamu-aleikum dear sisters and Eid Mubarak

I so much like the way sisters help each other and encourage, support and listen to each other in this forums.

Please help me, I want to start wearing hijab, and even though I have known for a long time that this is required by Allah, and I even started wearing hijab as a teenager, and again a couple of times this (last) year, I stopped again. Part of the reason was lack of support (which is a weak one, I know, I should be stronger than that...). Interestingly, sometimes my husbands asks me to start wearing hijab, but when I actually did a few months ago, he asked me some days to not wear it, so I stopped altogether. And then I started a new job in a new city. Now I want to start wearing it, and stick with it. And even though one woman at my workplace in a high position wears it too, I still feel scared and not ready. But then I think this is something I can always delay and not feel ready for it, I just want to jump in and "just do it". I've been planning to for years and  years, how much longer do I want to wait? And what is it anyway, it doesn't change who I am, I am still the same person, and if people reject me for it, fine. I have always been very self-efficient and thought that I did not care about other people's opinion too much. I have most of my life done what I thought what was right, and stuck through difficult situations, so how can wearing hijab scare me so?

Interestingly, the two women who did not once ask  me about hijab when they saw me wear it a few months ago were both non-muslim, one being my oldest friend. She also didn't comment when next time I wasn't wearing it. ANd she had always asked me and questioned me a lot about my beliefs, my religion.

I don't want to be scared, I want to be strong and proud of wearing the hijab.  And I want to be immune against discouraging remarks from within my own family (which is an islamic-born family - so really they should be encouraging, right?). My mother wears hijab too, she started many years ago.

I want to be a good example to my kids, I want to fulfill all of Allah's commandments.

May Allah bless all of you

niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2007 at 4:05pm

Assalamu'Alaikum Sister,

Insha'Allah...the best advice I could give you is that you wear a hijab inside out....meaning the simple act of putting cloth over your head isn't wearing hijab...

Wearing hijab comes from an inner peace from within an intention "Niha" ever present to hold yourself to a higher Islamic standard and be the best muslimah you can be....

With that said....look with in yourself and ask yourself what is holding you back vs. what your reward for being a true hijabi in the sight of Allah(swt)...Talk to your family your husband and ask him what he thinks about it....tell him that you've reached a point where you want to wear a hijab all of the time no exceptions but you're going to need his support because no matter what anyonelse says or thinks it'll be him and your kids that you'll be coming home to at the end of the day and their opinion of you means more than what anyonelse could ever say or think of you...as well as your opinion of yourself!

Insha'Allah sister ask Allah(swt) for help and strength he'll never leave you if you submit to him...his blessings go beyond anything we could ever imagine or thank him for properly....

You probably are familiar with how to wear hijab but for anyone that might not here are some great ways of hijabing'

MasSalaama

Umm Abdelkhalek
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2007 at 5:02pm

Assalaamu alaikum:

The decision to wear (or not to wear) hijab is between you and Allah (swt) alone. It should not be the decision or request of a spouse or anyone else. If you are in a western country you are a trailblazer, many sisters I know do not wear it on a regular basis. I remove the scarf when crossing the border into the US to work because I have been detained for up to 10 hours because I tried to cross in a headcovering. Otherwise I wear it, it is my right as an American citizen. Not all are religiously tolerant! But I am older, (48)very assertive for a muslimah and am as stubborn as a mule!

Pray over it and go with your heart, Stay safe! You have a right to hide your Islam if you feel threatened. The men do, do you see them running around life in their kufis and beards to tend to their daily business? It is an individual choice, and one that will become easier with time. May Allah (swt) guide you in your efforts!

Wasalaam,

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2007 at 6:39pm

I say go for it girl!!  Not that I wear it my myself, but I absolutely support you.

When I do wear it, to help me, I try to think less about it.. it IS important to you.. but sometimes it has helped me to NOT make a big deal out of it.. This helps ease any worries or anxieties I have. Actually I laugh at myself because style is not my strong suit and it is quite apparent..lol

Remember it is a piece of cloth.. it is not the sum part of who you are as a human being. And anyone who judges you should just stuff it..  

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
sakeena View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakeena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2007 at 8:03pm

"Just do it"! It's kinda scary I guess, but I've been wearing full head hijab for about half a year now. I used to just cover my hair and have the rest of my head (neck, ears etc.) showing. But I started covering it all (excluding face  ) when I began college. Alot of people asked me about it but they weren't rude. In fact, know one even knew what a Muslim was .

Frankly, if no one asks me about it, I forget I have it on. I got used to it very quickly and insha'Allah it goes the same for you! My biggest test was over the weekend visiting the rest of my family, whom of which are all Christians (excluding my father, mother, 1 bother and 1 sister; they are Muslim ^^). No one even gave me a strange look. I didn't think about my hijab all the while I was there.

I hope this encourages you to get over the anxiety! Pray and ask Allah to give you strength. He never fails any of his servants ^^

Salaam!!

p.s. children tend to stare; this you'll have to get used to

almostthere View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almostthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:15am

Assalamu-aleikum,

thank you very much, your posts did help me a lot! Now let's see, gonna start tomorrow at work... my own children won't stare, they are too small, but they'll want to wear it too when we go outside, for which they are much too small yet  The children I work with....., them, too, I don't mind, they'll just be curious. as they are with my nosering, it's a groundbreaker. And I DO want everyone to know I am a Muslim. Right now, everyone thinks I am Hispanic (it's amazing how similar mideastern people sometimes look to Hispanics), especially males. Congrats to sister Sakeena, keep it up

And yes, I think the best way to go is to not think about it too much!!

And sister Maryah, you are absolutely right, it is between me and Allah. Do you happen to cross the border in Mexicali? Private msg me if you want to.

Sister Niqab_Ummi, you are absolutely right, there is a hijab of the soul, of the mind, of the eyes... I have seen girls in hijab wearing tight and short-sleeved clothes and couldn't help but stare...  I started wearing full-sleeved long clothes over a decade ago, and in my heart and mind I decided at 14 that it is the right thing to do. Now that was over 20 years ago, and now is about the time to start lol. Never know how long you are going to live, and I like the way my daughters imitate me, that will take a lot out of explaining what they should do in 10 years, it is so much more important to "see" than to just listen. And of course there is so much more to it than just a piece of cloth, and there are other things I need to change in myself in order to be a good Muslimah - I used to be a very peaceful person, untill I got married.... I do love my husband and am absolutely committed to him and this marriage, but it continues to be a new challenge almost every day.

Thank you very much for your support, please keep it up, and may Allah bless you all

niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 11:31am

Insha'Allah let us know how day 1 goes with the hijab.....

MasSalaama

Umm Abdelkhalek
almostthere View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almostthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 8:20pm

Salaam,

day 1 went good, by the afternoon I had forgotten about the scarf. Interesting remarks I got, from comliments as to looking good to an astonished "what happened here?", to "how long are you going to wear it?", "why didn't you wear it before?" After work I even went to Target.

Day 2 - uneventful, as if I've worn it always !

My little daughters first asked me what it was, then asked me to take it off, and then ended up wearing a scarf themselves.

Thanks for all of your support!

The challenging part is just to put the stethoscope in my ears and not displace any hair or the scarf. How do women do that?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic