IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 16:15  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16:15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 1:58pm
Quote Airmano:
Let me rephrase it: What (or who) gave Uthman the authority to define his version as the only true on ?

The Saint:
He had the authority by virtue of being a Khalifa. A companion of the Prophet PBUH. Absolutely the right man, in the right place to do the right thing. To remove all possible confusion as to what constituted the true and original Quran.

Still I don't see what gave Uthman the authority. In case of Mohamed things look clear (to you): He got the authority from God.
Since he was supposedly the last prophet, absolutely nobody - including Uthman- had the right to change or even decide on anything regarding the Quran.

Describing Uthman as an important person doesn't take this conflict away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Airmano:
None of the existing Qurans come from Uthman times. How do you know that the "official" (Cairo) version is 100% Uthmanic, especially knowing that all historical ones differ from each other ?
The Saint:
Please note that the Arab society contemporary to the prophet was an oral one. Therefore, there was great emphasis in memorizing long texts and poems. Thus as the Quran was revealed to prophet Muhammad PBUH it was being written down on available materials and also being memorized by companions. Thus oral preservation continued down ages. The Quran was handed down to successors orally as well. Besides there was a system of Isnad developed by scholars. Any claim of a verse/s not included in the Uthmanic Mushaf was verified by the Mushaf itself and also what was the chain of the claim.

...but this oral transmission did not prevent deviations to develop. Obviously the transmission was not perfect and already after a very short time after Mohamed the Sanaa scriptures showed deviations. I have absolutely no reasons to assume that this "evolution" has/had stopped with Uthman.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 04 September 2016 at 2:25pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 2:10am
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

You claim god did it and that's the end of it, but science keeps on working

Bah! Spontaneous occurrence! Tell me, airmano, did you happen spontaneously? Don't we all have origins?

Btw, the Chinese discovery is still a maybe.

Why is "don't know" a problem and why does it mean your particular god is the right one?
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 8:30am
But this does not answer my question !

It should have.

Let me rephrase it: What (or who) gave Uthman the authority to define his version as the only true on ?

He had the authority by virtue of being a Khalifa. A companion of the Prophet PBUH. Absolutely the right man, in the right place to do the right thing. To remove all possible confusion as to what constituted the true and original Quran.

None of the existing Qurans come from Uthman times. How do you know that the "official" (Cairo) version is 100% Uthmanic, especially knowing that all historical ones differ from each other ?

Please note that the Arab society contemporary to the prophet was an oral one. Therefore, there was great emphasis in memorizing long texts and poems. Thus as the Quran was revealed to prophet Muhammad PBUH it was being written down on available materials and also being memorized by companions. Thus oral preservation continued down ages. The Quran was handed down to successors orally as well. Besides there was a system of Isnad developed by scholars. Any claim of a verse/s not included in the Uthmanic Mushaf was verified by the Mushaf itself and also what was the chain of the claim.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 11:15am
Quote The Saint:
This question was actually answered hundreds of years back! The Uthmanic Mushaf, of course!

But this does not answer my question !

and

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 27 August 2016 at 3:23pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 8:46am
Based on which logic/surah/hadith can you claim which of the two (or any other) is the "true" one ?

You have been stressing yourself about such a simple issue! This question was actually answered hundreds of years back! The Uthmanic Mushaf, of course!
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2016 at 8:23am
Quote The Saint:
Presumably, you are not a fool and you do not play either, so why don't you reveal your wisdom here?

Let's look at two different versions of the Quran: Sanaa, Topkapi. (forgetting about the other ones that there are for the moment).

Based on which logic/surah/hadith can you claim which of the two (or any other) is the "true" one ?

Good luck: Airmano

Edited by airmano - 20 August 2016 at 2:20am
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 1:32am
Don't play the fool !

Presumably, you are not a fool and you do not play either, so why don't you reveal your wisdom here?
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2016 at 1:45pm
Quote Airmano:
The Sanaa scriptures are already a contradiction to the doctrine for the uniqueness of the Quran

The Saint:
How is that?

Don't play the fool !

Airmano
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic