IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Niqab! Wajib or Sunnah?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Niqab! Wajib or Sunnah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 11:46am
Originally posted by MayPB MayPB wrote:

The niqab seems extreme if you live in a Western country. I think it is extreme in any country. Women as well as men need sunlight on their bodies daily to make enough vitamin D. HOW COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE PREFERRED IF IT IS LIKELY HARMFUL TO OUR BODIES AND HEALTH? AS WELL AS SOCIALLY, HOW WILL THE KIDS THINK OF WOMEN IF THEY THINK WOMEN SHOULD WEAR NIQAB BECAUSE THEY CAN'T KEEP THEIR GOOGLY EYES IN THEIR POCKETS.

.....JUST MY OPINION, i THINK IT LOOKS ????, AND TO ME IT UNDERMINES OUR HUMAN ABILITY TO RESPONSIBLE ADULTS. i AM NOT YELLING IN CHAT ROOM, JUST TECH ERROR.

sALAM

I can't find any words to say....

MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 3:00pm

Apologies, I may have come off as too harsh. I don't beleive it is more pious than wearing hijab which allows the face and hands to be uncovered. By wearing hijab I am dressed modestly and able to work and study amongst men as well as women. I know that because of my dress and mannerisms men will know that I am not "available" and am to be respected. It is the opinion of a scholar that it is more pious to be dressed head to toe, skin to skin no pants. But this limits a woman's ability to be involved in any activities, school , work. We must make the best decisions when faced with the everyday trials of normal life. That is it. Is it not an escape mechanism to stay in the house all day and away from society in attempt to avoid any temptations? How will we learn to work with people, muslims and non-muslims if this is a typical way of life. How about the fun activities missed out on that show children the greatness of Allah by exploring natural sites. You need to wear comfortable clothing that won't cause a woman to fall off a mountain! Is riding a bike importand in Islam?

MAYPB

Saido View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 4:11pm

Salaams

sister you make it sound like wearing the niqab makes you handicap and that you can't do much.In fact I know several women who wear it and are very involved in their communities.

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 9:29pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

In the hanafi and shafii madhhabs the niqab is not wajib, in the hanbali madhab the matter is undecided and there scholars are split on this issue one saying it is while others say it is not. I am not 100% about the maliki but i think it is not wajib either.

Only minority groups like salafi's try to enforce these things which is a reprahesible bidah as the prophet (salla llahu alaihi wa sallam) himself never forced women to wear the hijab let alone niqab, it is a personel choice.

Just adding the above is the opinion of the scholars in our time as per our current situation. The face and hands are not and have not been considered to be awrah.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 1:19pm

I totally agree with MayPB. In all honesty Saido, some of my friends wear niqaab and as to this day I am confused as to where they get their rulings from. For example, when their brother in laws come in to their homes they hide their face. They eat in seperate rooms from their in-laws. Common now? Why can a family not sit around a table and eat dinner because someone is wearing a niqaab? Islam encourages family building etc. Where in the qu'ran does it say to hide our faces from our male relatives. Do any of the schools of thought tell us this? Because I don't know.

I understand women in desert countries wearing it, because I've been there and I noticed men can't stop looking at your face. So you end up wearing it to prevent such embarassment. Also many of those women have drivers, don't work they are ladies of leisure (lucky for some). Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the sisters who wear niqaab, but I'm a young muslim woman and I know if I started wearing niqaab will get in the way of things. What allah has prescribed for me is enough. It is perfect. It is neither too much nor too little and for that I am grateful.

MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 3:16pm

Involved in their communities? So everyone is accepting of their way of dress? How about the cashier at Vons? Of course they think it is strange looking and it makes for an uncomfortable situation. When does Islam require us to be so completetly unique from most people in the world. And although it is accepted in their community, it's not everywhere else. I am not saying that people should be like everyone else and compromise what they beleive in but be somewhat normal and give your kids some chance at fitting it.

Peace

amatuallah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amatuallah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 10:45am
I AGREE WITH mayPB
Saido View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 4:30am

Asalamu Alaykum

Jazakallah for your thought regarding the niqab but can you give me more daleel and evidence regarding it being wajib or sunnah? Is there any member on this forum who thinks the niqab is wajib?why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic