IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ridiculous topics and advice  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedridiculous topics and advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 6:04pm

Assalamu Alaikum!

Sister Jenni,

"Peacemaker, Who says who is a Scholar, and not just someone giving advice. Brother Rami had told me, Most scholars in the west are totally unqualified to give Islamic advice and do not understand Arabic enough to Interpret the Hadiths and Quran. And there are Islamic Websites that promote beating women, female genital mutilation, and many other horrible things, including terrorism. So again I will speak my mind and I am not alone!!!!"

Islam does not sanction or promote beating women, female genital mutilation or terrorism. We discuss here main stream Islam. If you have any concern about any sect in Islam, discuss that in intrafaith section. Islam is not based on one's individual opinion, therefore,  you or many others are free to have individual opinions, but you will not be allowed here to do any form of Islam bashing, Scholar bashing or Muslim bashing. Discuss the matter with Islamic Adab, and there is no problem.

Could you please post the link to what brother rami had told you about Scholars in the West.

I hope that you would listen to what I am talking about.

Let us all follow guidelines.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 7:22pm
I was complaining about advice in the west and also about interpretations of hadith. He clearly told me that many scholars have badly interpreted the hadiths to english, and not all the scholars that are giving advice are truely qualified. I am not Islam bashing, and since when is any one who gives advice or starts a website a scholar anyway???

Edited by peacemaker
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 8:14pm

Assalamu Alaikum!

Sister Jenni,

"I am not Islam bashing."

Well, that sounds great Masha Allah. We all, including myself, are learners. I believe that life is all about learning. We can never become perfect, and may gradually proceed towards that ultimate goal as Allah and His Messenger (pbuh ) told us.

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 9:29pm
Thank you, I feel the danger is in the internet, anyone can start any site and answer questions that people are asking seriously and who says this advice is valid? Who is the person on the other end of the wire? And shouldn't we all, READ OURSELVES. I feel that we Muslims(including myself) are getting way too lazy when it comes to looking up our own answers in the Quran and authentic hadiths. We have brains and for a reason and why did we even learn to read? So that every time we have a question we can just ask someone else and put all our faith in them that they are correct? THAT IS WHAT CHRISTIANS DO!!! They put all their faith in the priest or minister, hardly touching the bible and go totally off of what priests and christan scholars write about. Most christians rarely read the bible and get all they want to know from the Sunday church meeting and chatting with the priest. They have no idea if he is right or wrong, they just put faith in a man. IS THAT WHAT WE ARE DOINT TOO?
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 12:08am
Assalaamulaikum,

Firstly, yes there are a few points which i do not agree with, from that site regd. advice for children, but i can take what i like and reject what i dont coz it is just from a person , there is no quranic verse or hadith there. But at the same time i have no right to criticize it.

Alwardah, you have expressed yourself really well and i do agree with all that you wrote.

One point sister Jenni made is absolutely right about READING OURSELVES. This is a fact that most muslims rely on scholars rather than reading the quran and hadith. Of course if you do not understand any verse, there were mufassireen (including the prophet (saw), at the Prophet's time and later). so it is wise to refer to good books by "old" scholars, when needed. And it is wise to ask Allah for help and use your brains as well.

It is nice to warn our brothers and sisters about wrong information, in fact it is our duty, but mocking is a no-no! This is true that everyone is not a scholar, many people do misinterpret fiqh issues.

I have posted this verse before and i post it again:

"O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former; nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former, nor defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. How bad is it, to insult ones brother after having Faith (i.e. to call your Muslim brother (a faithful believer) as: "O sinner", or "O wicked", etc.). And whosoever does not repent, then such are indeed Zalimoon (wrong-doers, etc.)."
(  سورة الحجرات  , Al-Hujraat, Chapter #49, Verse #11)

Regd. women's travelling, sister mishmish has posted the hadith, the travelling in those days was on foot or by camel, that is why it took more than a day minimum to reach another city. today there are planes , so it takes less time, but the distance remains the same!! I personally met many women who swore never to travel again alone because they faced severe difficulties at  times, like flight delays and harassment. And they wished at that time that they had a mahram with them!

If you wish to reject the command of our prophet (saw) , it is your wish sisters, (again= it is between you and Allah)But sister Danty, obeying the prophet is above obeying the husband. If the prophet (saw) said not to travel alone, even if my husband says do it, i will not do it. (of course there can be exceptions in case of emergencies or situations where you have no choice, Allah knows our intention) In trying to "prove" our independence, we go too far at times. why are we afraid to admit that we are dependent on men? Allah has made it that way!

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means."
(  سورة النساء  , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #34)

I am not saying women are not independent or should not do things on their own, please dont misunderstand me, in some things, WE NEED MEN! namely travelling....And thats how Allah has made it...

peacemaker said, we have to respect scholars. also respect each other.

I hope i have not hurt anyone's feelings here. Sometimes while pleasing Allah , we do displease humans....

Allah knows best!
wassalaam

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 12:45am
Narrated Anas: Allah's Apostle was neither a Fahish (one who had a bad tongue) nor a Sabbaba (one who abuses others) and he used to say while admonishing somebody, "What is wrong with him? May dust be on his forehead!"  (Book #73, Hadith #72)
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

I agree that Hadith may not apply today.

Kindly explain this, i hope i am not misinterpreting you.

Do you mean  hadith gets outdated??

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 6:05am
Originally posted by peacemaker peacemaker wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum!

I agree with Sister Alwardah. We may disagree with any scholar, but we have no right to defame Scholars and Islamic web sites. By doing so, we will only be siding with those anti-Islam forces, determined to defame Islam and Muslims all over the world.

It is WRONG to call the person who wrote that a scholar!!!  Sister Jenni is absolutely correct and I thank her for pointing the fallacy of this posted document out to us. 

It is not an easy task to become a Scholar just as it is not easy to become a scientist, doctor, engineer or any other professional. One has to invest thousands of hours of time, effort and other financial resources. I would rather say that even becoming professional doctor may be easier than becoming a great scholar. Therefore, we have to respect scholars, because of them we know many things about Islam today that otherwise would not have been possible.

We may also respectfully disagree with them.

When someone says they are something, a doctor or a scholar, and they are not skilled at what they do, it is our DUTY to point this out to others who may rely on that PERSON incorrectly.  The fallacies in this PERSON'S supposed educated post on an Islaamic website are destructive to children and to Muslims and Sister Jenni needs to be thanked for drawing out attention to his mistakes.

I hope we all would respect these sensitivities at this forum.

Peace

[QUOTE=peacemaker]

Assalamu Alaikum!

Sister Jenni,

"Peacemaker, Who says who is a Scholar, and not just someone giving advice. Brother Rami had told me, Most scholars in the west are totally unqualified to give Islamic advice and do not understand Arabic enough to Interpret the Hadiths and Quran. And there are Islamic Websites that promote beating women, female genital mutilation, and many other horrible things, including terrorism. So again I will speak my mind and I am not alone!!!!"

Islam does not sanction or promote beating women, female genital mutilation or terrorism. We discuss here main stream Islam. If you have any concern about any sect in Islam, discuss that in intrafaith section. Islam is not based on one's individual opinion, therefore,  you or many others are free to have individual opinions, but you will not be allowed here to do any form of Islam bashing, Scholar bashing or Muslim bashing. Discuss the matter with Islamic Adab, and there is no problem.

Could you please post the link to what brother rami had told you about Scholars in the West.

Bismillah,

I remember Brother Rami saying that more than one time!

I hope that you would listen to what I am talking about.

Let us all follow guidelines.

Peace

Bismillah,

I will say, Brother Peacemaker that your tone with our respected Muslim Sister in this thread is very disturbing to me.  She would NEVER Islam bash!  How dare you imply that she did so!  Just because you disagree with her doesn't give you the right to speak to her so disrespectfully!

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic