IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 16:15  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16:15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16:15
    Posted: 17 April 2016 at 1:41pm
have another question from the Quran. Verse 16:15 seems to be talking about mountains, and the Sahih International translation states:

"And He has cast into the earth firmly set mountains, lest it shift with you, and [made] rivers and roads, that you may be guided,"

Other translations I see state that He set up on the earth mountains, fixed the mountains on the earth, affixed them into the earth.http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=16&verse=15

Do you know which, if any, of these translations is correct? And what does the word "cast" mean here?

Many thanks and God bless.
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 8:54am
http://quranx.com/Tafsir/Maududi/16.15 Read at the link above.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 5:38pm
--
Ringer
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 3:04am
However, "Mountains are formed through tectonic forces or volcanism."

Sure, that is what science tells us. But science is yet unable to define what/who caused the BB? And what predated it?
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 12:40pm
Quote The Saint
Sure, that is what science tells us. But science is yet unable to define what/who caused the BB? And what predated it?

You claim god did it and that's the end of it, but science keeps on working

Airmano
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2016 at 2:33am
You claim god did it and that's the end of it, but science keeps on working

Bah! Spontaneous occurrence! Tell me, airmano, did you happen spontaneously? Don't we all have origins?

Btw, the Chinese discovery is still a maybe.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

http://quranx.com/Tafsir/Maududi/16.15 Read at the link above.

Thanks, I have read it.
It is interesting, but I don't see how it addresses the question I asked about which translation is correct and what does the word "cast" mean.
Maududi translates this verse by saying
He has driven mountains firmly into the earth lest it should turn away from its usual course along with you:
http://englishtafsir.com/Quran/16/index.html
Does the Quran teach the mountains were driven into the earth? What does that mean? Were they thrown into it? Pushed into it?
What does the word for "cast" mean in Arabic?

From the tafsir:

This shows that the real function of mountains is to regulate the motion and speed of the Earth. We have come to this conclusion, for the Qur'an has made this benefit of mountains very prominent in many places. Therefore, their other benefits should be regarded as incidental.
[/]

How do mountains regulate the speed of the earth?
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 7:42am
Thanks, I have read it.
It is interesting, but I don't see how it addresses the question I asked about which translation is correct and what does the word "cast" mean.

May I inform you that arabic words usually have many meanings. But cast, driven and firmly set all mean the same thing here, in this context. Therefore, it is my understanding that the functions of the mountains is to keep the earth steady.

Again, according to my humble understanding mountains act on the earth as paperweights do on paper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic