IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 16:15  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16:15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:16am
Of course mountains are neither 'cast', 'driven', nor 'set' into the earth but instead are RAISED by tectonic plate movement (e.g., Himalayas) or volcanic activity (e.g., Hawaii).

The earth just doesn't work as described in that verse.

(The plain meaning of 'cast' is throw or thrown.)

--
Ringer
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 3:01am
Of course mountains are neither 'cast', 'driven', nor 'set' into the earth but instead are RAISED by tectonic plate movement (e.g., Himalayas) or volcanic activity (e.g., Hawaii).

The earth just doesn't work as described in that verse.

(The plain meaning of 'cast' is throw or thrown.)

From a believer's POV the mountains are indeed, driven into the earth. Just as a master builder would to make the earth stable. Which once again only a master builder would know was needed. Personally, I love the word driven(it is so appropriate), like massive pegs, if you like.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:25pm
Quote TS
May I inform you that arabic words usually have many meanings.

I like that.
Whenever there is trouble ahead the ambiguity of the arabic language gets stretched.

How was this again:
The revelation of the Book about which there is no doubt.....

Smashing: Airmano

Edited by airmano - 10 May 2016 at 12:28pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 4:00pm
Except for the fact that no one has seen a mountain being cast, driven, or set nor is there any evidence for such an activity, while you can watch mountains being BUILT (volcanic) and measure the movement and the growth of mountains of the earth if you are patient enough.
--
Ringer
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 5:25am
I like that.
Whenever there is trouble ahead the ambiguity of the arabic language gets stretched.

NOoooo. You are so fond of imagining you to be sOOooo intelligent. LOL. While talking about the Quran it is all plus plus. I expected you to know few things about the Arabic language by now. However, I will try to give you a few introductory pointers to what you may expect learn about it. Which might make it easy for you to realize what I am saying. "The

Arabic language is a unique language, and has many special and unique features which make it suitable for it to convey; many meanings in few words, subtleties, emphasis and powerful imagery through speech alone. If God was to convey a message to mankind, it would be through a language which is easy to learn, and has the highest form of expressiveness. I believe that Arabic is that language by which He communicated His final Message to mankind, and I will try to prove it through this Book � Qur�an, the Linguistic Miracle."

What is the Arabic language? Arabic is an ancient Semitic language, believed to be over 2000 years old. So it has had alot of time to develop, and enrich its meanings and linguistic beauty. Some say it � the language- has been inspired and preserved miraculously in its pure form. It has stayed firm and pure to its roots, meaning that words and their meanings which were said over 1,400 years ago are still preserved and documented for us uptill this day. Unlike many other languages where words change meanings every few generations, and the meaning of the original word is lost. An example in the English language today is the word 'wicked' which meant 'evil' last generation, but in this generation it means 'good.' It may be that 2 generations ahead, 'wicked' may only be recognized as meaning 'good', possibly making future readers of the language confused.

http://d1.islamhouse.com/data/en/ih_books/single2/en_quran_the_linguistic_miracle_linguisticmiracle.pdf
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:24pm
Frankly,

if the Arabic language had anything really special that would put it above all others we would now about it by now.

The rest is wishful thinking.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 12 May 2016 at 1:02pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 4:39pm
The way that the Qur'an (especially the original versions) conveyed many meanings is through extreme ambiguity.

The character set originally has no diacritical marks on the letters (not talking vowel markings but the dots that represent different CONSONANTS) so for example b, t, th could not be distinguished.  Many other such indistinguishable sets exists.

Then of course the vowel and other markings to distinguish double consonants etc. were also missing so even more ambiguity.

Many of the verses make no sense in any language so 'only Allah knows'.

This is not a book that is perfectly clear.

If there is room for ambiguity in something as important as religion and especially so little contemporary evidence then people are going to fight over the meanings and even go to war.

Look just at the history of the Shi'a and Sunni relations alone with each trying to use the Qur'an and Sunna to 'prove' their own case.

--
Ringer
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 6:20am
Frankly,

if the Arabic language had anything really special that would put it above all others we would now about it by now.

The rest is wishful thinking.

Ignorance from up close could be quite deceptive. However, your rather pretentious and hypocritical claim may have had a fig leaf to hide behind if you had learnt the Arabic language.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic