IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Having doubts about hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having doubts about hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2006 at 7:34am
[QUOTE=Sky21006]

Salaam

Talliyya sister your�post/comments are lovely�

But Sister J.R please note , entering paradise need sucrifices�the sort of
problems you are facing might be your test, be stable and�careful. Read
Narration of Sohaba (R).

Salaams

Assalamu Alaikum,
I know you're all trying to help me and may Allah (swt) reward you all. I
wasn't out for very long yesterday but like I posted earlier, I took my hijab
off. Last night I felt very weird, maaybe a little disconnected from my
thoughts on Islam. I told my husband last night I want to put the hijab
back on. He supports what I want but is afraid I'll end up depressed
again. I have soooo many voices going on in my head, one for every way
of thinking about my situation. I agree that Allah doesn't want our faith
to make us miserable yet I also believe this could be a test. I plan on
wearing it today. It may come across as hypocritical, taking it off one
day, putting it back on the next. I'm desperately trying to do the right
thing.
Sister Sky, what is the narration of Sohaba (R)?

Allah hafiz,
JR
Smile
taliyya View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taliyya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2006 at 10:01pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sister J.R.

please don't feel like you're being hypocritical. you're trying and that's what's important. may Allah make it easy on you and remove the depression from you.

Dawn View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2006 at 11:10pm

Sister, the emotions that you are going through is cause of the community around you. Just an example, If suppose say you were living in a country like Saudi Arabia or a Muslim community in here. You wouldn't had dare to take out your scarf and been more strong about views on hijab. It's normal people go through stuff like that.Take as much time as you want.  Just remember that Allah is with you in your thoughts and in giving you courage. You are just confused right now. May Allah guide you and make things easy for you. (Inshallah) Don't stress out yourself. There was a way,  guidance from Allah how you approched it in the first place. Just pray & he will guide you even more and keep you close to him. As long as you try your best, that's what counts the most.

Edited by Dawn
rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 11:13pm

salaams

i started wearing my hijaab recently as well, form the beginning of Ramadaan this year. i was very afriad at first cos i wasnt sure how will people at work react. i was pleasently surprised that no one said anything. people still treated me the same

i have had one or 2 synical remarks from my mom n my sister as they felt i was being too extreme in deciding to suddenly wear hijaab n they even commented that it wont be long before i waer niqaab.

but i have told them that i have reached a stage in my life where i feel comfortable n confident enough to wear my hijaab n im not gonna revert to my old ways of not wearing hijaab

what made me start wearing my hijaab is that i wnet onto a certein site n i was reading posts of other sisters, mostly reverts. n most were wearing niqaab. and i thought to myself, here are sister who have reverted to islam, yet they proudly wear thier niqaab even in the USA. so y cant I, a person who has been a muslim my whole life even wear hijaab

then i decided to make the change nad im very happy abt wearing my hijaab

sister, i make Dua that in tiem, u too find your way

(sorry if i went into detail about myslef rather than advsising u on the topic. hope i have not offenede anyone)

UmmTaaha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmTaaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 6:45pm

3:8 "Our Lord!" (they say), "Let not our hearts deviate now after Thou hast guided us, but grant us mercy from Thine own Presence; for Thou art the Grantor of bounties without measure.

JR,

It is said that we must be careful about the scholars we consult. If a scholar or Imam is advising you something against the divine laws, you should be very weary of his opinion.

When the verse in sura maida was revealed that says allah has completed and perfected the religion for us, all women in the ummah were covering their hair, and dressing up modestly.

Whatever change in dress sense and concept of attire we see afterwards which has allowed women to expose their hair, shape of the body, or even their skin, is new. Rasul allah (saw) has said, anything new, which is not from this deen is rejected.  - Rejected means, the action is not accepted by Allah.

Why do we do acts of obedience? Allah is not in need of our obedience - then why do we tire ourselves with all that He has ordained? Ask this question to yourself, and contemplate on the answer.

We are obedient to Allah, because, the fruit of this obedience is felicity with Allah. This fruit one can enjoy only when the actions are accepted by Allah. Thus we must be careful what actions and what quality of obedience we present to Him.

It is said in the Quran that one who meets allah on the day of reckoning, with a sound heart has been successful. A sound heart is one which is free of His disobedience.  The actions of our limbs are reflected in the mirror of the heart. If the limbs are obedient, the heart automatically learns to be obedient.

We wear the hijab to please Allah subhan wa ta�la. The fruit of pleasing Allah is that we find peace within. We feel a nearness with Him, and a joy which is not found in anything wordly. If you are performing an action that is pleasing allah, how can it  give you stress.

Try to search within yourself why is it that an act of obedience is giving you stress. It could be that your attachment to these acts of obedience is feable or your understanding of why you perform them is not complete.

It does not matter if nobody in the community is wearing it. As long as you are in a state which pleases your Lord Most High, you are in safety. 

I agree that practicing the deen becomes reletively very easy if we are in the company of those who are practicing. However, if unfortunately such people are few, even then we are not free from the duty to practice. At the same time, the more the difficulty in adhering to this deen, the greater is the reward.

The nafs, scholars have related to as nafs al ammara bissu. The nafs, when it is not trained, commands us to do disobedience. If an action is pleasing to the nafs, know that it is displeasing Allah.  One must oppose this nafs, and do exactly opposite of what it commands. If you keep persisting in such a way, it will learn to become obedient, and even appreciate it, so much so that it will accept obedience as a natural disposition insha allah.

To cure depression, try establishing a living relationship with the Holy Quran. Recite a portion everyday - a portion enough that you can remain consistent with.  Read its meanings, tafsir - you will see within a month you have a bond with this book, and insha allah it will lift many of your worries. This Book says, that it is a healer, and a blessing to the believers. The reason why we do not find healing to our ailments in it is that we do not bond with it.

Do Dhikr of allah much, because the Quran says that hearts find rest in the rememberance of Allah.

Stay connected with people who call you to obedience of Allah, or the company of those motivates you in it.

Insha allah if you observe these you will find a change within yourself.

UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2006 at 9:56pm

Supan'Allah....

Salaam

Sister your situation reminds me of myself when I first converted to Islam.

I'm getting the chills!

I converted to Islam in the MidWest, and lived in a small town that was also majority white and christian.  The Masjid I went to the women were the exact same way you are describing. To make matters worse, they were very racist. They did not believe a non-Arab was equal to them, and pushed out black and hispanic americans interested in Islam. Due to their disrespect, shunning, and ignoring me, I also too fell into depression.  Alhamdilal, I ended up moving to the North East Part of the United States, where I have been in peace ever since. Ma'sha'Allah.

Sister, WAHLAH I understand how you feel 100% I don't want to put my business out in the streets but I was suffering through a couple of major hardships at that time only to have those people spit in my face. If you ever need to talk please feel to free e-mail you and it would be a privallege to talk to you as you have enough of character and integrity becuase at least you tried.

And on a final note, I recommend daily dhikr at least thirty minutes in the morning and thirty minutes at night, I also recommend praying the last three surahs, and reciting ayatal Kursi before you go to the masjid or any time you associate with the Muslims.  When you step out of your door seek refuge from shaytan and recite surah kafiroon. If a non-Muslim is harassing you say out loud right up in their face " authobillahi mina shaytanirajeen." Don't feel guilty. And if a Muslim is being beligerent say the same thing, and walk away. Don't look back when you do.

I hate to say this sis, but there are many Muslims both born and revert, who are jealous of those who are truly content with Allah, sincerely happy with Islam, and love being Muslim. Any manifestation that your faith is growing and you are happy will be attacked. Many of these people are deeply insecure, and have a very hateful treacherous like spirit. I call it the gutter mentality or the good old crabs in the barrel cliche. One woman in my old community actually asked " who do you think you are, wearing that hijab" Be very careful becuase people with that level of self hatred, envy, and hatefulness are dangerous to your soul and mental health. They aren't even worth a salaam in all honesty, they don't wish you peace becuase they can't give what they don't have. So why you are celebrating the praises of your Lord and honoring your agreement with Allah, becuase they refuse to, it is going to always be a jihad. The best thing you can do is relocate to a mixed community. When I say mixed I'm talking about ethnically mixed but more so where there all types of Muslims shia, sunni, sufi, etc.

Allah knows best

Mrs. Dia
UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2006 at 10:00pm

Salaam

The problem is not the sister's naffs. That's the least of her concerns.

If it were here naffs she wouldnt feel so broken hearted and conflicted about it.

Let me tell you sisters, unless you have lived in a situation like that, you don't know how it feels. I almost apostated as a result of my experience.

I know it's hard to believe, but Muslims are just as creul, and selfish as other groups of people.

Salaam

Mrs. Dia
UmmTaaha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmTaaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2006 at 9:36pm

Quote Let me tell you sisters, unless you have lived in a situation like that, you don't know how it feels. I almost apostated as a result of my experience.

Sister, why did the result of your faith not keep you firmly grounded on the straight path? Why did you waver because of people? The deen is for the worship of Allah alone

Quote I know it's hard to believe, but Muslims are just as creul, and selfish as other groups of people.

It is not hard to believe. There are many people who look like true muslims, but the spirit of Islam is still sleeping within. People who follow guidance, expereincing the pleasure of following have guard their hearts against the darknessess of those whom Islam has touched but very little.

Edited by UmmTaaha
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic