IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - dutch bans burka  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dutch bans burka

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:00pm
Bi ismilahir rahmanir raheem

is there a reason you are not adressing me directly?

Bro Rami says "The Burqah is personnel law not something enforcable by any government islamic or otherwise..." and at an earlier post he talks about social influences where he says ""....It takes away the social pressure placed on women as being sexual objects........."

I also said we need to seperate issues. The topic of whether the burqah is fard or not comes from eveidence in the Quran, sunnah and practices and saying of the first 3 generations of muslims. Law is legislated based upon these. Islamic law states that it is wajib, a benefit of wearing it is that it takes away from social preassure, social preassure is not the basis for permisability or impermisability of an act.

If we look at this kind of reasoning, we indeed are looking at the social legitimacy of "Burqah" within the boundaries of Islam. In doing so, though we do take care of minimum requirements of hijab, as ordained in Quran and sunnah, but totally neglect the other extreme of it that the "shettle cock Burqah" presents. It is this kind of extreme form of hijab, that is problematic for identification purposes in modern societies, though it may still have usefullness in some societies.

This is the difference between secular law and islamic law, scosiety does not dictate what is right and what is wrong Allah and his messenger do. minimum requirments and extreme, according to who? you are advocating the negation of a persons right to follow which scholarly opinion he views to be most correct.

Secondly, my bro rami insists on freezing Islam to that of interpretations under 4 madhahibs when he says "There is no room for interpretation outside of what Islams schools of law have decreed,.....", where as he probably himself my realize that these 4 madhahibs came into existance on the basis of their rational critical examination of evidences from Quran and Sunnah. That too, not in an instant of time but over the period of several generations long after the year of Hijra. Hence it would be naive to limit Islam within the box of 4 interpretations.

No i have not frozen time but your argument does not hold, All the major topics and issues have been legislated upon by people the likes of whom you most likely will not encounter, which is why the door to ijtihad had to be closed the standard of high calibr scholars was decreasing dramaticly and most things were known. your argument only apllies to mutaghayirat (newly arisen matters).

If you know of anyone who is of the same calibr as Imam Abu Hanifah and they wish to start there own madhhab let me know, no one is stopping a person with the right Qualaficiations from doing anything. The basic understand and the wisdom is that these people do not exist and wont until the time of the mahdi. Until that time Islams four schools of thought are what mainly comprise sunni islam otherwise you are following a newly invented sect or you own unqualified opinion.

This is not to say that any scholar of such a stature in modern era exists (based on my limited knowledge), who has the appropriate qualification to bring better interpretataions as a whole, though badly needed. Nevertheless, it doesn't preclude individuals to research and reason out such personal issues with their own sincere and humble understandings from the same evidences of Quran and sunnah.

after you have come to understand all that, you will then move on to realiseing that following the most qualified people whom this Ummah have agreed upon there status as being great scholars is the most logical path. You can reasearch what ever you like there are some great scholars out there many of whom other scholars would consider having reached a lower level of Ijtihad but none of them are coming up with new rulings never heard of beffore or over ruling established laws. I dont recal stating that people can not study islam and attempt to be mujtahids, how did you come to this conclusion. The discusion is over an established topic based on Quran and sunnah not contextual circumstances.

But that to has been spoken of by traditional scholars and ruled upon by modern scholars, there are things in islam known as dispensations one legal maxim states �Hardship begets facility� (Al-mashaqqatu tujlab at-taysir). in these circumstances it would be permisable to only wear the hijab which is why in western society the hijab is worn. It is becouse of this maxim (Qawaid) that this dispensation has come about.

If the person so chooses he may not follow it, but you should understand clearly you can not rule that the Burqah under any circumstance is impermisable to wear, which is what i think you are trying to get at.

After all, as bro Rami as categorized it as matter of personal law, Allah is the judge who knows all inner dimensions of an individual. Indeed Allah knows the best.

Ameen.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 8:57am

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Bi ismilahir rahmanir raheem

is there a reason you are not adressing me directly?

To avoid personalization of the issue in hand, it is sometimes felt more prudent to use tense which reduces such affect. Nothing other than this.

bro rami says "I also said we need to seperate issues. The topic of whether the burqah is fard or not comes from eveidence in the Quran, sunnah and practices and saying of the first 3 generations of muslims."

Now, over here three sources of evidences on which Islamic law is legislated are provided. I don't know if this is from bro Rami's own knowldge or not, but the fact is if all these sources are considered to be the source of Islamic Law, then one can clearly realize that except the Quran, other two are, logically speaking, inherently limited by their scope of applicablitiy both temporally and spatially. Even if one is inclined to admit authentic sunnah in such a generalization, yet the third source can never qualify for a general application. Hence, any law, which is based upon the evidences of "first 3 generations of muslims" can never be considered ubiquitous in its application. 

Bro rami further says "Law is legislated based upon these. Islamic law states that it is wajib, a benefit of wearing it is that it takes away from social preassure, social preassure is not the basis for permisability or impermisability of an act. "

There are two things that one would like to argue in this line of reasoning. Firstly, it is known fact the all humans suffer from societal impressions and idealogies and views. Thus their actions reflect those cultural influences. The broader the horizon of a person is more broader his perspective would be about the world in general, and about his religion, in specific. Hence isolating such influences from the people can viewed in theory; far from reality.

Secondly, some times, the rules are enacted for their obvious benefits and not for the hack of it, otherwise who would go and devise "useless" law hanging in limbo. Therefore, it is infact the society that asks, or begs for the solution of their day to day problems. Once it comes to Muslim society, then scholars try to understand their issues within the legitimate boundaries set by Quran and Sunnah only. If there is no such need by the society, it is hard to imagine the requirement for such a law. 

Yet from another angle, it is the changing environment of different societies and different culture, that Allah sent different books on earlier prophets with different Shariah, yet the core of the message remained same in all such divine books. With this argument though one may consider Quran with no exception, but the fact is, only Quran, being the last book of guidance from Allah, has this attribute of being ubiquitous in its contents. None of the two other sources that bro rami has presented, in general, qualify for such a merit. It is not to say that one may reject sunnah and only rely on Quran, but to say that authentic sunnah is the way, not the source itself, as how Islamic law must be implemented (difference between the law as opposed to implementation of law). As regard to the third source, as identified by bro rami i.e. "first 3 generations of muslims" is concerned, suffice is to note that except the companions of Prophet, none other can be considered worthy without political baisness. The Islamic history after first 4 Caliphs (the companions of Prophet), is too controversial to consider them as usefull source of Islamic law.

Bro rami says "No i have not frozen time but your argument does not hold, All the major topics and issues have been legislated upon by people the likes of whom you most likely will not encounter, which is why the door to ijtihad had to be closed the standard of high calibr scholars was decreasing dramaticly and most things were known. your argument only apllies to mutaghayirat (newly arisen matters)."

One can easily point out obvious mismatch in the above statement when it is said " No i have not frozen time...... " and in the same breath it is said ".......which is why the door to ijtihad had to be closed........". I don't know who has this authority to "close the door of Ijtihad", though we do see the day to day problems of our society increasing not only in number but in magnitude as well. Classic examples of such issues can be quoted where the women are not allowed to drive cars in one society in the name of Islam and "honor killings" are considered as a legitimate way of shunning the evil away from yet another society. Similarly killing of "apostate" is considered very pious act for Allah on one side and FGC is considered a favourable custom within Islamic traditons on another note.

In the end, I think, I can't  agree more than what bro rami already concludes "If the person so chooses he may not follow it, but you should understand clearly you can not rule that the Burqah under any circumstance is impermisable to wear, which is what i think you are trying to get at."

Yap, I fully agree to this statement. 

Edited by AhmadJoyia
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 12:35pm

Bismillah,

Brother Rami,

I disagree with you on your ruling that wearing only the hijab is permissable and point to the sister's correct confusion that if the Burqa were required, then why lower the gaze?

The women who wear hijab are blessed and I am always glad to be able to recognize a Muslim sister outside.  However, having lived and worn the hijab and suffered more than not because of it, I can tell you that unless the Muslim men wish to wear very specifically Muslim clothing which identifies them as such, then they have no right, in fact THEY ARE SINNING to put their wives, sisters, and children out in the public as the bearers of Islaam!

How dare anyone say that a woman's choice is hellfire or hell on earth from the difficulties that non-Muslims cause us!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 8:07pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Now, over here three sources of evidences on which Islamic law is legislated are provided. I don't know if this is from bro Rami's own knowldge or not, but the fact is if all these sources are considered to be the source of Islamic Law, then one can clearly realize that except the Quran, other two are, logically speaking, inherently limited by their scope of applicablitiy both temporally and spatially. Even if one is inclined to admit authentic sunnah in such a generalization, yet the third source can never qualify for a general application. Hence, any law, which is based upon the evidences of "first 3 generations of muslims" can never be considered ubiquitous in its application.

No this is basic fundamental teachings of islam which you will not find any Sunni Madhhab group or sect disagree's with. If you do not know this already and why it is so, then i would advise learning about Islamic law and what is used to make rulings in Islam, i am afraid much of what i have said and the authority that i am quoting for you and everyone else is going to waste since it seems most do not even understand the basics.

It is not simply the Quran and sunnah that is used as new muslims and uneducated muslims like to repeat. Your logic is sound and i wouldnt disagree with you if you had said it about any other group but the authority for this comes from Rasul allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) himself you just do not know the relavent information.

Briefly i will give you an example of how the actions of the successors and companions are not limited to time and how they are used in Shariah. Saydinah Umar once caught a thief stealing food, the punishment in Islam as clearly stated with out need for interpretaion is that his hand should be cut of. But saydinah Umar did not do this he let him go on the basis that a famine was driving people to do this act. from this two very important islamic principles/maxims/qawaid can be derived.

"Harm must be removed" (Ad-Darrul Yuzaal) and �Hardship begets facility� (Al-mashaqqatu tujlab at-taysir).

this means that it is the responsibility of the Islamic government to remove any harm beffore you can even talk about punishment for crime. Since the famine was driving this person to steal food Saydinah Umar established the fact that the Khalifah has a responsibilty to address this issue before they have a right to punish this person.

These principles are also used in other areas of law and not simply limited to this, the evidence for these principles is also elsewhere not only in this act of saydinah Umar.

There are two things that one would like to argue in this line of reasoning. Firstly, it is known fact the all humans suffer from societal impressions and idealogies and views. Thus their actions reflect those cultural influences. The broader the horizon of a person is more broader his perspective would be about the world in general, and about his religion, in specific. Hence isolating such influences from the people can viewed in theory; far from reality.

This lacks the understanding of what Ihsan is what it entails and what is needed to achieve it, the Qualities required for prophethood as the prophets were perfect examples of Muhsins, and basic knowledge of things our prophet and Allah have said on the matter. A person needs to know the prerequisite knowledge beffore being able to comment on  deep issues in Islam, otherwise all they are doing is logicly analysing a situation with out considering facts and the basis for such matters. You should know why our scholars have done or said certain things not simply comment on the outcome of there rulings.

Secondly, some times, the rules are enacted for their obvious benefits and not for the hack of it, otherwise who would go and devise "useless" law hanging in limbo. Therefore, it is infact the society that asks, or begs for the solution of their day to day problems. Once it comes to Muslim society, then scholars try to understand their issues within the legitimate boundaries set by Quran and Sunnah only. If there is no such need by the society, it is hard to imagine the requirement for such a law.

Human nature and sexual drive do not change from scosiety to scociety and time. In reality the immoral nature of western scociety and the time we are in i could very easily and succefuly argue that the burqah is needed more in our time than in the past.

Yet from another angle, it is the changing environment of different societies and different culture, that Allah sent different books on earlier prophets with different Shariah, yet the core of the message remained same in all such divine books. With this argument though one may consider Quran with no exception, but the fact is, only Quran, being the last book of guidance from Allah, has this attribute of being ubiquitous in its contents. None of the two other sources that bro rami has presented, in general, qualify for such a merit.

Again here you lack basic knowledge needed to understand the issue, I am not talking from my self but what all scholars and any muslim who knows the baiscs of islamic law will tell you sunni or shia. Your reasoning as to why Allah sent different revelation is plainly wrong, he does not bow to us but we to him. Certain things in our genetics  and due to reality itself changing Allah made certain things permisable which were not to prior nations an obvious example of this is life spans Ibrahim (hs) was 1000 + years old if i remember corectly.

not becouse of scosiety or culture this is a western understanding of scociety and comes from the deceptive idea that man is changing for the better due to his surroundings and technology which in reality is nothing but moral degeneration, one hadith highlights this fact excelently "speed is from shaytan".

It is not to say that one may reject sunnah and only rely on Quran, but to say that authentic sunnah is the way, not the source itself, as how Islamic law must be implemented (difference between the law as opposed to implementation of law). As regard to the third source, as identified by bro rami i.e. "first 3 generations of muslims" is concerned, suffice is to note that except the companions of Prophet, none other can be considered worthy without political baisness. The Islamic history after first 4 Caliphs (the companions of Prophet), is too controversial to consider them as usefull source of Islamic law.

on what authority are you saying this, your own reasoning. we are not gods to place our own understanding above that of Allah and his prophet. If i were to quote for you the relavent hadith from rasul allah upon which these generations are taken as a source of legislation  what then of your opinion, you have said it clearly and as if you are certain of your self but what if someone were to read this and follow what you said what then.

Classic examples of such issues can be quoted where the women are not allowed to drive cars in one society in the name of Islam and "honor killings" are considered as a legitimate way of shunning the evil away from yet another society. Similarly killing of "apostate" is considered very pious act for Allah on one side and FGC is considered a favourable custom within Islamic traditons on another note.

These are not examples of Islamic shariah please learn the fundamental points of this Topic rather than offer your opinion as an authority. Do not treat this topic like you do other topics you are talking about the difference between haram and halal.

I respect your opinion and i am not commenting on your inteligance or ability to logicaly analyse a situation, but you need to learn the fundamentals of islamic law from a proper teacher. I dont have the capacity to teach anyone but myself.

Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 8:18pm

assalamu alaikum sister

I disagree with you on your ruling that wearing only the hijab is permissable and point to the sister's correct confusion that if the Burqa were required, then why lower the gaze?

sister if i where to give you a ruling from my self i would be scared of what allah will say to me any ruling i have given is from the four madhhabs of Islam, this is where Muslims have gained All there law from through out Islams history. Egypt, malaysia and indonisia are primeraly Shafii, north africa is mainly Maliki, some arab counties are Hanafi while others are Hanbali The majority of muslims follow one of islams schools of Law, the confusion arose with the wahabies who rejected the Islamic khalifah which was Hanafi and said no to any madhhab. They have been spreding the form of islam ever since, they are oil rich now so they have the louder voice but are few in number. 

I never said wearing the hijab is only permisable. you have misunderstood me.

How dare anyone say that a woman's choice is hellfire or hell on earth from the difficulties that non-Muslims cause us!

I dont know what you are talking about or what i have said to make you think this.

Edited by rami
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 5:54am

Bismillah,

I don't think my sentence makes sense really about permissable.  It was late in the day then. 

So I am referring to your comment that the burqa is required, but that it is okay to only wear the hijab in western countries because of the difficulty it causes sisters.  I am saying a truth that is known among experienced, honest sisters:  Wearing the hijab draws people's attention to us.  They harrass us and worse.  I had men approach me saying the jilbab made me look elegant.  I had many aggressive difficult people harrass me and my kids.  Many things over the years.

People with families to aid them have it easier.  People who know they are here in the west only for a short while can bear it knowing they will have peace soon enough.  People who are foreign-looking do not get hassled the way a white woman does.  They call me a traitor and try to humiliate me in public or in school or work.  They hurt you in quiet ways so that no one will be able to accuse them.  You are alone and your children are ostracized.  The Arabs and Paks have their group and rarely befriend you truly.  Many places there are few western Muslims or they don't have kids your age (you can't bring your noisy child to study or to mosque), whatever the reasons are, society has excluded you as a converted Muslimah oftentimes.

I say very clearly and for all to hear that it is not haram for women to not wear hijab in the west when she and her family are not able to bear the persecution.  And of course the obvious dress code and behavior code is modesty. 

We in the west are not immoral.  I grew up in a moral church as a pious, quiet, modest girl with a reputation for morality. 

Maybe you think I haven't studied, but I have.  For years I memorized Quraan and hadith.  I conclude now that misogynists have interpretations which I am sure with time our good brothers, and sisters if they will recognize our value, will interpret correctly and provide for us to study.  As a reserved lady, I wait for others to do this, and will support them.

I suggest you research the origin of the madhabs, and what came before them.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 7:19am

So I am referring to your comment that the burqa is required, but that it is okay to only wear the hijab in western countries because of the difficulty it causes sisters.  I am saying a truth that is known among experienced, honest sisters:  Wearing the hijab draws people's attention to us.  They harrass us and worse.  I had men approach me saying the jilbab made me look elegant.  I had many aggressive difficult people harrass me and my kids.  Many things over the years.

I was Quoting one of the madhhabs in Islam, we are commanded by Allah in the quran to follow people of knowledge. Other scholars hold the view that it is not wajib i never maid the claim that it being wajib was the only acceptable view among scholars. But the key word here is among scholars, we have no excuse in making up our own laws in Islam. I have also never said women who do not wear the hijab will go to hell this is a nonsence beliefe, but at the same time i would never make the claim that it is not a sin since all the scholars consider it to be a minimum requirment.

People with families to aid them have it easier.  People who know they are here in the west only for a short while can bear it knowing they will have peace soon enoug........................  Many places there are few western Muslims or they don't have kids your age (you can't bring your noisy child to study or to mosque), whatever the reasons are, society has excluded you as a converted Muslimah oftentimes.

These hardships are unfortunate, but can you please explain to me what any of this has to do with changing islamic law. You have the basic law in Islam, for example the view that the burqah is wajib you then go to a scholar and tell him i am going through these hardships is there anything in islam i can do to make life easier for me, he will tell you that yes there are dispensations in islam and you can do such and such becouse these hardships exist.

But you cant not claim becouse of these hardships therefore the thing that is wajib whether it is the burqah or anything else is no longer wajib now you are changing the law to suit yourself. You simply have an excuse in front of Allah for not being able to follow his command.

I say very clearly and for all to hear that it is not haram for women to not wear hijab in the west when she and her family are not able to bear the persecution.  And of course the obvious dress code and behavior code is modesty.

There is no need to make claims, if a women is being persecuted ( depending on what you mean by this term) then what you are saying is correct. Scholars would differ on what level of persecution would be considered unabrable.

Remember the Islamic principle/maxim i quoted, "Harship facilitates ease" it would apply here.

We in the west are not immoral.  I grew up in a moral church as a pious, quiet, modest girl with a reputation for morality.

i never questioned that you personaly are not moral but you can hardly speak for the rest of the people espetialy when the biggest industry in america and the west is the porn industry. What i said was a generlisation not a personel or sweaping comment, simply put there is enough imorality that the need for the burqah to counter this would be required. But personal safety is a more important issue, it a hypothetical statment which i should have qualified i am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Maybe you think I haven't studied, but I have.  For years I memorized Quraan and hadith.  I conclude now that misogynists have interpretations which I am sure with time our good brothers, and sisters if they will recognize our value, will interpret correctly and provide for us to study.  As a reserved lady, I wait for others to do this, and will support them.

If you have memorised much Quran and ahadith sister than you more than likely have memorised more than me alhamdulillah, may allah reward you. But memrising the Quran and ahadith does not make you proficient in Law, it actualy places you in a place of danger making you assume all that you read is all that there is to consider. If i ask you to outline what is required to become a faqih in islam will you tell me memorising the Quran and ahadith is all that is needed?

This article better explains what i am trying to say.

I dont understand your last comment are you accusing me of hating women?

I suggest you research the origin of the madhabs, and what came before them.

The only place you get any knowledge of islamic law is through the madhhabs. All scholars throughout history followed a madhhab please name me one who didnt.

Imama abu hanifah (80H-150) after whom the hanafi madhhab is named was a tabii ie a succesor he met a number of the companions and heard narations from them. His teachers where among the greatest Tabii to walk the face of the earth. a period of less than 80 years between him and the prophet what are you sugesting came beffore him, between him and his teachers there was notheing beffore the madhhabs.

Ibrahim ibn Rustum al-Marwazi said: "Four are the Imams that recited the entire Qur�an in a single rak`a: `Uthman ibn `Affan, Tamim al-Dari, Sa`id ibn Jubayr, and Abu Hanifa."

A hadith given by al-Bukhari and Muslim states that Abu Hurairah (ra) narrated Allah's Messenger (saw) as saying:"If the Religion were at the Pleiades, even then a person from Persia would have taken hold of it, or one amongst the Persian descent would surely have found it."  Abu Hurairah (ra) also narrates:"We were sitting in the company of Allah's Apostle (saw) when Surat al-Jum`a was revealed to him and when he recited amongst them, (those who were sitting there) said `Allah's Messenger?' but Allah's Apostle (saw) made no reply, until he was questioned once, twice or thrice, and there was amongst us Salman the Persian.  Allah's Apostle (saw) placed his hand on Salman and then said:"Even if faith were near the Pleiades, a man from amongst these would surely find it."

Imam as-Suyuti a Shafi'i alim (rh) remarked:"It has been communicated unanimously that this hadith refers to Imam Abu Hanifah."

Briefly about the other Imams,

Imam Malik (93-179H) after whom the Maliki Madhhab is named

The Prophet said: �Very soon will people beat the flanks of camels in search of knowledge, and they shall find no-one more knowledgeable than the knowledgeable scholar of Madina.�[140] Al-Tirmidhi, al-Qadi `Iyad, Dhahabi and others relate from Sufyan ibn `Uyayna, `Abd al-Razzaq, Ibn Mahdi, Ibn Ma`in, Dhu�ayb ibn `Imama, Ibn al-Madini, and others that they considered that scholar to be Malik ibn Anas.

Imam Shafii

He is the cousin of the Prophet � Allah�s blessings and peace upon him � descending from al-Muttalib who is the brother of Hashim, `Abd al-Muttalib�s father. Someone praised the Banu Hashim in front of the Prophet, whereby he interlaced the fingers of his two hands and said: �We and they are but one and the same thing.� [160] Al-Nawawi listed three peculiar merits of al-Shafi`i: his sharing the Prophet�s lineage at the level of their common ancestor `Abd Manaf; his birth in the Holy Land of Palestine and upbringing in Mecca; and his education at the hands of superlative scholars together with his own superlative intelligence and knowledge of the Arabic language.

To this Ibn Hajar added two more: the hadith of the Prophet, �O Allah! Guide Quraysh, for the science of the scholar that comes from them will encompass the earth. O Allah! You have let the first of them taste bitterness, so let the latter of them taste reward.� [161] Another hadith of the Prophet says: �Truly, Allah shall send forth for this Community, at the onset of every hundred years, someone who will renew their Religion for them.� [162] The scholars agreed, among them Abu Qilaba (d. 276) and Imam Ahmad, that the first narration signified al-Shafi`i, [163] and the second signified `Umar ibn `Abd al-`Aziz and then al-Shafi`i. [164]

Edited by rami
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 9:01am

Bismillah,

When I became a Muslimah, I did it without a sheikh, only with a Qur'aan.  There are no intercessors between me and Allah, SWT.  No one will take my punishment or my reward.  The sheikhs I have consulted have had varied opinions and integrity.  The same treatment occurred for my Muslim sisters.  Too often they favor the brothers when the brothers are there and they console the women, but do nothing to help. 

The communities here are broken because there is very little action.  (Al-Hamdulilah, I do see charity given, but not to a sister who is in difficulties with her husband because they won't take her side.) 

The Qur'aanic guidance is not generally followed by the men who are advised by sheikhs or other brothers in a difficult family situation, and the brothers, and sisters of the mosque do not step into a difficult family situation to help the sister.  Advice from the podium or given only to the sister and then changed when there is a consultation with the husband deserves Allah, SWT's retribuition.

So that is my feeling on your idea that I am supposed to consult a knowledgeble sheikh.  Please!

Unfortunate???  Wow.  How heartless.

I'll make myself perfectly clear:  Muslim men, sheikhs included, have no right to insist that women wear hijab when they do not wear similar Islaamic clothing all of the time, not just to the masjid.  I can quote you a sheikh or two who disagree with this, so you don't need to.  Think about it.  Women are out their in the public eye, targeted because of their differences, while the men sneak by with jeans and a  beard.  Beards are worn by many faiths and no longer distinguish a man to be a Muslim.  Also the kufa, the white or colorful cap men wear, that has become so stylish that many young guys wear it who are not muslim.  Men who require women to wear hijab should wear the long garments, either Pak, Arab, or African, which everyone recognizes to be Muslim male clothing.

I suggest you read more books about Madhabs, the ones that existed before they were reduced to four.  How much knowledge was lost or thrown away?  (My reference books were stolen years ago.  So I'm suggesting that it would be elucidating for you to study this topic more.)

Anyway, I am not of any of those schools, but if they say something sensible, I'm all for it.  Allah, SWT, gave me my faith and my brain, and I trust him.  He answers my prayers that suit his purpose, and guides me to His light.

Why do people ignore the hadith in Sahih B and M which says that the prophet Muhammad, pbuh, forbade the writing down of his hadiths?

Yeah, I forgot that west-bashing was encouraged on this site.  I have seen more morality here in America than I did in Kuwait or Phalasteen or Jordan.  There is a lot of immoral behavior in those countries, and I have heard about it in others, like Saudi and Pakistan. 

Good, moral people of the world, Muslims and all other faiths, need to unite against evil in this world.  If we defend the evil perpetrated by the Muslims in Saudi or Phalasteen, we are on the devil's side.

Edited by herjihad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic