IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 16:15  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16:15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 4:43am
Just have a look at this and that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sana%27a_manuscript

I looked. And I wish to remind you that since the Uthmanic Quran came into existence all MUslims all over the world have been reading it alone. Nothing is going to change that, In sha Allah! Millions of Huffaz have memorized the same Quran as well. There IS no other Quran.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 7:53am
Quote The Saint:
And I wish to remind you that since the Uthmanic Quran came into existence all MUslims all over the world have been reading it alone.

Sure, but the presence of different Qurans shows clearly that there have been errors in the transmission channel(s). All Uthman did was defining one (of the many) version as the Quran" (burning the others).
In other words he standardized the Quran(s) to one official version.

But what is so exciting about defining a standard ?

Ah, although I am sure you will never read this [to the end] it's at least to remind you that there are other views on this subject than the "official Muslim" one.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 02 June 2016 at 8:07am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 4:49pm
Do note "Saint" that the fact that Muslim's ignore all other Qur'ans doesn't mean they don't exist nor that there weren't many in existence AND IN USE at various times during Islamic history.

Also note that the old museum Qur'ans are considered authentic and do not have the diacritical marks that distinguish various consonants nor the vowel marks that show where and what vowels appear within the roots.

Such to each of these original sources being legitimately read with many (perhaps effectively infinite) meanings.

This neither argues for or against any myth of a miracle due to a single version.

A 'single Qur'an' just isn't relevant to that subject of miraculous origin.

--
Ringer
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 6:58am
Sure, but the presence of different Qurans shows clearly that there have been errors in the transmission channel(s).

No, not at all. They are museum-worthy only. They are mere curiosities. The standard is there in the Uthmanic Quran. Anything not comparable with it is not even worth discussing. At best it could be from people who did not receive the Uthmanic Quran.

All Uthman did was defining one (of the many) version as the Quran" (burning the others).

All Hazrat Usman RA did was to standardised the pronuciation and the dialect of the Quran to prevent confusion. No addition or substraction.

In other words he standardized the Quran(s) to one official version.

Exactly. And it has remained the same till date.

But what is so exciting about defining a standard ?

Exciting is not really the appropriate word here. The primary concern was to ensure uniformity of reading, pronunciation and of course, content.

Ah, although I am sure you will never read this [to the end] it's at least to remind you that there are other views on this subject than the "official Muslim" one.

LOL..............there always are! To everything.
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 7:06am
Do note "Saint" that the fact that Muslim's ignore all other Qur'ans doesn't mean they don't exist nor that there weren't many in existence AND IN USE at various times during Islamic history.

Muslims are actually supposed to ignore all other so called Quran's except the Mushaf of Usman RA.

Also note that the old museum Qur'ans are considered authentic and do not have the diacritical marks that distinguish various consonants nor the vowel marks that show where and what vowels appear within the roots.

Perhaps, you are right. I do not know this for a certainty, though.

Such to each of these original sources being legitimately read with many (perhaps effectively infinite) meanings.

I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean?

A 'single Qur'an' just isn't relevant to that subject of miraculous origin.

Single? Or, do you mean unchanged since the Uthmanic Quran came into existence
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

Thanks, I have read it.
It is interesting, but I don't see how it addresses the question I asked about which translation is correct and what does the word "cast" mean.

May I inform you that arabic words usually have many meanings. But cast, driven and firmly set all mean the same thing here, in this context. Therefore, it is my understanding that the functions of the mountains is to keep the earth steady.

Again, according to my humble understanding mountains act on the earth as paperweights do on paper.

By saying "cast, driven and firmly set all mean the same thing here in this context" what do you mean.

You drive a stake into the ground by hammering it in.
Cast can mean to throw down or place down on something.
Firmly set means that something stays in one place.

These words mean different things. Can you please explain what you mean?

Lane's Arabic Lexicon defines "cast" as to order, throw down, place on. p 3012
http://www.tyndalearchive.com/tabs/lane/
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by 6wlds2go 6wlds2go wrote:

Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

And what does the word "cast" mean here?

Many thanks and God bless.
I compare it with other instances (same word) in different chapter it seem the correct word is "Throw".

Salaam alaikum and thank you for your answer.

Are there other possible meanings also?
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 8:58am
@ Ringer -I do not see any links pointing to different versions of the Quran?

Edited by The Saint - 14 July 2016 at 8:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic