IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 16:15  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16:15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 9:01am
@ Saint:

Just have a look at this and that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sana%27a_manuscript

Tell me why I should see them? How do I know it is not some more 'internet intelligence'?
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 10:20am
This WIkipedia article has discussion of the oldes Qur'anic sources including these 2 which were written in the "Kufic script" which has neither vowel points no diacritic marks to distinguish many of the Arabic consonants:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Quranic_manuscripts
For a long time, the Topkapi manuscript and the Samarkand Kufic Quran were considered the oldest Quran copies in existence. Both codices are more or less complete. They are written in the Kufic script. It "can generally be dated from the late eighth century depending on the extent of development in the character of the script in each case."[8]

Without those markins (in the Kufic script) the text is highly ambiguous and is an example of versions which do exist.

There are references to other early versions as well.  All of these differ in at least some ways from modern Qur'ans thus demonstrating there do exist (many) different versions.

Nothing particularly surprising about this except that it demonstrably refutes the claim of a "single version".

--
Ringer
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:02am
Quote The Saint:
Tell me why I should see them? [them = Historical non official Qurans]

Because you ask me to look at the Quran "with an open mind".

So I ask you to do the same with issues that contradict the official muslim doctrine.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 23 July 2016 at 4:04am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2016 at 5:30am
For a long time, the Topkapi manuscript and the Samarkand Kufic Quran were considered the oldest Quran copies in existence. Both codices are more or less complete. They are written in the Kufic script. It "can generally be dated from the late eighth century depending on the extent of development in the character of the script in each case."

If you read carefully, you will notice that both Samarkand and Topkapi copies are Uthmanic.

There are references to other early versions as well. All of these differ in at least some ways from modern Qur'ans thus demonstrating there do exist (many) different versions.

Post a link to the said references.

Nothing particularly surprising about this except that it demonstrably refutes the claim of a "single version".

Far from being demonstrable, your references fail to even prove what you had set out to prove.

What you need to to do is to prove that there are Qurans out there in the public domain being read as scripture and which differ from each other.
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2016 at 5:33am
Because you ask me to look at the Quran "with an open mind".

Have you as yet?

So I ask you to do the same with issues that contradict the official muslim doctrine.

You claim there are so called contradictions but have failed to cite any.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2016 at 9:00am
Quote The Saint:
Have you as yet?

Yes !
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote You claim there are so called contradictions but have failed to cite any.

The Sanaa scriptures are already a contradiction to the doctrine for the uniqueness of the Quran
(I thought God protects the [uniqueness of the] Quran. If so, he did a lousy job in this case)

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 08 August 2016 at 9:01am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2016 at 4:28am
The Sanaa scriptures are already a contradiction to the doctrine for the uniqueness of the Quran

How is that?

(I thought God protects the [uniqueness of the] Quran. If so, he did a lousy job in this case)

It seems to me you are labouring to suggest that the Sanaa manuscript demonstrates something to you that you would like to share to prove something you have in mind?
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2016 at 1:45pm
Quote Airmano:

The Saint:
How is that?

Don't play the fool !

Airmano
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic