IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Still not married  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Still not married

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 11:37am

If, according to hadith - half one's faith is to marry - does that mean that Jesus/Isa was sorely lacking in faith ?
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 11:39am
I was married nine times.  I'm Lizzy's cousin -  Rip.  LOL  ;-)

Perhaps it means that to love another truly, as you love your own soul is half of one's faith. That may well be true. The other half is to love God with all you are. It's in the great commandments.

Love God

Love your neighbour (hubby for u ladies too)

as you love your very self.

"Love for your brother what you love for your self".  Muhammad (pbuh)

PS I am so very sorry ladies. I did not know this was the women's section. I was somewhere else and this thread was there. Excuse me. I trust I have not offended anyone. I'll slip away again.

God bless

Edited by Gulliver - 07 October 2008 at 11:46am
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Gulliver Gulliver wrote:

If, according to hadith - half one's faith is to marry - does that mean that Jesus/Isa was sorely lacking in faith ?

Good point . . .

However, I personally dont think that this hadith says that those that dont marry are 'lacking' half the faith, it says, that when one marries, it is as if they have completed half thier faith.

Its like saying, is the glass half full or half empty. . . one has a negative connotation, the other has a positive one. Saying, Half your deen is incomplete, sounds negative, but saying Half your deen is complete is postive.

The hadith goes something like this: "When someone marries, he has guarded half his Iman let him fear Allah with the other half' (narrated by Anas)

Meaning, that when a Muslim marries, it is as if he/she has already completed half the deen . . .why? Because marrying enables a person to acts that cause him/her to complete half the deen. One needs to go into details as to why marrying completes half the deen.

Does that mean that a person who has a bad spouse that leads the other astray - still completes half the deen? ofcourse not . . . which is why it is better to have no spouse, than to have a bad spouse.

Marriage is an emotional and physical support system, which enables a person to be the best of what they can be - that includes religion. So according to islam, marrying enables us to be better muslims. That hadith was an encouragement to people to get married, or who already were married. It was probably never meant to look down upon those who were unmarried! One can be unmarried due to a variety of reasons! The only instance when singlehood is discouraged in islam is when a muslim, despite having the opportunity, means and resources to get married - refuses to do so, because they want to 'enjoy' singlehood. . .

One of the significant reasons is sex - unless human biengs have an outlet for sexual energy, they cannot focus on the more important things in life and function in a healthy manner. . . marriage allows us to do that. Also because in Islam promiscuity and extra/pre-marital sex is strongly haraam, so, fulfilling those desires in a halal manner, helps us complete half our deen by staying away from sins. There are also numerous actions in marriage that actually are reward-worthy. For example the Prophet is said to have said 'what a man spends on his family is sadaqah (i.e. reward-worthy)' and that a man is rewarded for a mouthful that he gives to his wife. Even the act of intercourse, if done in a halal way i.e. in a marriage is considered reward-worthy, because the person is choosing a halal way over a haraam one.

So that hadith tells us of the merits of marriage, and encourages it. It in no way looks down upon single.

Also, with regards to Jesus, Muslims believe that after his return, he will abide on this earth and get married for some time, before he dies a natural death.

Edited by Chrysalis - 09 October 2008 at 10:52pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 9:07am
I really shouldn't be here as it's the women's section. But it came to my email inbox.

"Marriage is an emotional and physical support system, which enables a person to be the best of what they can be - that includes religion."

I agree with this. For two people to truly love each other and make a convenant of that love - elevates both of them, enobling them and empowering them to even greater 'deeds' - acts of love for God, than if they are alone. Not in all cases of course.

Some people do choose to dedicate themselves wholly to seeking God above and beyond all created things - including human loves. And can reach a place where all things are loved as God would love. Rare souls - but they do exist I believe.

I cannot begin to imagine why Jesus would come back to experience marriage - when he knows the love of God so wholly.

But then in the Christian tradition - there is no 'marriage' in Heaven - we are to be 'like the angels'.

I mean Chrys - come of it. Can you really imagine spending ALLLLLLLLLLL eternity with that guy ?  LOL !!! ;-) I am kidding !!

We will all find out one fine day that's for sure.

Un bel di vedremo.........   

Now there is a beautiful piece of music :-)
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 9:27am
I dont mind brothers poking into the women's section now and then. . . they might learn something Tongue , especially about women. Its hard to learn from us and about us if you stay on Mars and women on Venus, ainnit? Smile

Oh, and just wanted to say, Jesus wont come back to 'experience marriage' , he will be resurrected to clear certain misconceptions about his divinity and relationship with God. The purpose of his return is not marriage, its simply stated in the texts, that he will get married, kind of like a prophecy.

Edited by Chrysalis - 09 October 2008 at 10:53pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 10:04am
Which texts Chrys ? I'd like to read about that.

I could teach you plenty bout the brothers and the sisters - but you might not wanna hear it.  LOL ;-) We're all human and we all feel the same kinds of things.

One of issues I got into a little bother with on odd occasion. The Catholic Church is called 'Mother' Church - but it's run and governed by men. A lot of the ol' horrible shennanigans that was going on would have been nipped in the bud long before now, if women had more say - especially married women with children. They'd have nipped a few of those guys in the buds - cut them clean off. I think, just thinkin' mind you - that with the emancipation of women in western societies - women felt a kind of pressure almost to act more like men, so as to 'succeed' -  acting agressively - than bringing their real skills to the fore. I think they have one of those new fangled expressions for it these days - "emotional intelligence." Common sense.  The nurturing caring roles. Even in business - common sense would suggest that if people are treated like human beings, with respect - they will give of their best in the work environment. Or maybe that's naieve. I don't tink so though. A little love and respect works miracles in all kinds of environments.

You're in Pakistan Chrys ? I thought you were in US for some reason.

God bless

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 10:38am
By texts I meant Ahadith (sayings) of the Prophet. The are compiled in authentic books, by scholars namely Bukhari , Muslim, Maalik, Dawood, Tirmidhi, Nisai, Ibn Majah etc. The above books contain sound traditions. I would reccommend you to get to know the basics and quran first, before moving onto the ahadith, since they are extensive.

I'll try and see if I can look up the exact hadith with source that mentioned that about Jesus . . . insha'allah.

Yup, am from Pakistan :) Born, bred, lived there. Though moved a year ago, abroad. . .
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 12:21pm

OK Chrys. Here's something common to human beings of both sexes.

Tell me sis, how do you deal with a 'broken heart' ?  ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic