IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Qibla  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qibla

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 8:06pm
While most people will never read the original academic study, it is hoped that through this review, you will be introduced to the study, and better understand what academics and Muslim scholars are wrestling with.  

Dan Gibson, the author of Qur'anic Geography is a Canadian historian who has spent a life-time studying the history of the Arabian peninsula. He is the author of a dozen books, including The Nabataeans, Builders of Petra, as well as many papers and articles. He may be reached through the forum at www.searchfor-mecca.com

While Muslims are adamant that Mecca was the center of the trade route, modern historians give us a different picture. Dr. Patricia Crone tells us:
�Mecca was a barren place, and barren places do not make natural halts, and least of all when they are found at a short distance from famously green environments. Why should caravans have made a steep descent to the barren lands of  Mecca when they could have stopped at Ta�if?

If the Holy City was such a large city, then it is strange that the name Mecca is missing on early maps.  One would expect that a major merchant city in Arabia would be mentioned in early times. Such maps never claimed to show every village and settlement, but certainly sought to place signifcant and famous cities.
... not one map before 900 AD even mentions Mecca.  Not until 300 years after Muhammad�s death does Mecca appear on any map.

Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 8:08pm
Greetings islamispeace,

"The Holy City is described as being surrounded by mountains where people could look down into the city to see the Yemeni elephant attacking the Ka�ba."

So were you mistaken in thinking it was Medina that is surrounded by mountains?  Medina is also a Holy city to muslims, is it not?

Did you take the time to read at the address which I provided?
So here is some of what I found in the article:  http://www.academia.edu/1776803/The_Mecca_Question

at any of the addresses I provided?
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Joukowsky_Institute/Petra/

I also asked;
Note:  I'm curious, where do you come up with your evidence of artifacts in Mecca?
Has any archaealogical evidence ever been turned up in Mecca?

Shukran and salaam,
CH

Edited by Caringheart - 15 October 2014 at 8:10pm
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

I'm suddenly put in mind of a line I heard in a movie trailer once......

"What if everything you've ever believed was based on a lie?"

Wish I knew what movie it came from. Smile

I don't know, but it must have been about Christianity

It is true... it is a statement which could be made of any religion.

asalaam,
CH

Edited by Caringheart - 15 October 2014 at 8:15pm
Blessed be God forever
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 8:47pm

While most people will never read the original academic study, it is hoped that through this review, you will be introduced to the study, and better understand what academics and Muslim scholars are wrestling with.  

Dan Gibson, the author of Qur'anic Geography is a Canadian historian who has spent a life-time studying the history of the Arabian peninsula. He is the author of a dozen books, including The Nabataeans, Builders of Petra, as well as many papers and articles. He may be reached through the forum at www.searchfor-mecca.com

While Muslims are adamant that Mecca was the center of the trade route, modern historians give us a different picture. Dr. Patricia Crone tells us:
�Mecca was a barren place, and barren places do not make natural halts, and least of all when they are found at a short distance from famously green environments. Why should caravans have made a steep descent to the barren lands of  Mecca when they could have stopped at Ta�if?

If the Holy City was such a large city, then it is strange that the name Mecca is missing on early maps.  One would expect that a major merchant city in Arabia would be mentioned in early times. Such maps never claimed to show every village and settlement, but certainly sought to place signifcant and famous cities.
... not one map before 900 AD even mentions Mecca.  Not until 300 years after Muhammad�s death does Mecca appear on any map.

People who do actual research would know that plenty of scholars have criticized Crone' revisionist claims.  For example, Mikhail Bukharin writes:

"Crone's work has been subjected to a careful analysis by R.B. Serjeant, who has concentrated primarily on the Arabic sources.  Serjeant's starting-point is the fact that the valley of Mecca had been settled by Qusayy in spite of its lack of natural resources, and that the Meccans had been consequently forced to import their foodstuffs, i.e. to engage in long-distance caravan trade.  They therefore had to have some kind of income, and pilgrimage to the Meccan sanctuary must have involved trading.  Serjeant points out that Yemen and Syria were the most important suppliers of Mecca with grain" ("The Qur'an in Context: Historical and Literary Investigations into the Qur'anic Milieu", p. 116).   

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by caringheart caringheart wrote:

"The Holy City is described as being surrounded by mountains where people could look down into the city to see the Yemeni elephant attacking the Ka�ba."

So were you mistaken in thinking it was Medina that is surrounded by mountains?  Medina is also a Holy city to muslims, is it not?

So you are confused!  Gibson insists that Petra was the site of the Muslim pilgrimage, instead of Mecca not Medina!  Medina is not part of the Hajj. 

Now, Medina was surrounded on three sides by mountains, which is why the Meccan had to attack from the north, and which is why the Muslims dug the trench there. 

By the way, Mt. Abu Qubais is very close to the Kaaba, and it would have been easy to see what was going on when Abraha's army was attacking Mecca. 

Originally posted by carignheart carignheart wrote:

I also asked;
Note:  I'm curious, where do you come up with your evidence of artifacts in Mecca?
Has any archaealogical evidence ever been turned up in Mecca?

As I already said, there is evidence of Mecca's importance to Islam, as can be seen in inscriptions of the Quran.  Did you look at the link I provided?
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 7:06am
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

By the way, Mt. Abu Qubais is very close to the Kaaba, and it would have been easy to see what was going on when Abraha's army was attacking Mecca. 

Some more info on Mt. Abu Qubais in Mecca.  Muhammad Asad, a Jewish convert to Islam, wrote:

"To the north of the Holy City rises Mount Abu Qubays, the center of many ancient legends and traditions.  From its summit, crowned by a small, whitewashed mosque with two low minarets, there is a wonderful view down into in the valley of Mecca with the square of the mosque of the Kaaba at its bottom..." ("The Road to Mecca", p. 312)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 6:28pm

Also, apparently Muhammad first had his followers praying in the direction of Syria, and all the evidence supports the first holy place for muslims as Petra.

So tonight I was doing some studying and I learn that Hagar and Ishmael were known to have settled in the wilderness of Paran... in Jordan...
and this previous research jumped to my mind... about the original qibla being to the north...
Jordan... to the north...
Petra... in Jordan...
the wilderness of Paran... in Jordan
This fits with the areas Abraham was known, according to archaeology, to have traveled.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0015_0_15406.html

Hagar and Ishmael are even said to have attended the funeral of Abraham.

Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic