IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - some thoughts I watned to share  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

some thoughts I watned to share

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aishag88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: some thoughts I watned to share
    Posted: 06 November 2005 at 6:34pm

In my personal opion...

I ALWAYS hear sisters asking and talking about what Muslim Women should wear and what is appropriate. The way you behave and the way you see that person is based a lot of how they dress. Its all a part of first impressions...

Articles say alot about wearing losse clothing, not transprant, not eye-catching clothing. These are things i have seen:

1: Jeans (?!!) to me are ok, but i would wear a shirt that goes at lesat to your kness. I guess if you are young and go to school this is what you want. Though, i am trying to stay away from jeans, becasue they are what kafars wear and also are tight.

2: Skirts are great to wear.

3) Abaya. Out of all the clothes for muslims, abaya is the best. Most people seem to relize what i do is for religion when i'm in abaya. When i wear jeans or tighter shirts, I sometimes think how easy it is for people to think i have no hair becuase i am covering my hair but my body is in tighter clothes.

Sometimes i try to "blend in'' with other teenagers wearing jeans and a short top with hijab. And almost EVERY time i do that. I will see another muslim and fell guilty. I realize what I am dong is wrong. So I will lower my hijab around my chest. In fact as I was writing this, that is what happened! I was in the airport, in tight jeans and shirt top (  ) And i saw another Muslim women. I felt so ashamed!!!!

I see  women go to the masjid wearing  pants and a long shirt (salwar kameez) Then they go over to the cabniet and get a prayer skirt to wear during the pray.

I am not trying to make fun of any here...I am just pointing out things i have seen.

My best advise is: IF IT IS NOT MODEST ENOUGH TO PRAY IN, IF YOU ARE ASHAMED TO GO BEFORE ALLAH TO PRAY IN WHAT YOU ARE WEARING. THEN, YOU SHOULD NOT WEAR IT IN PUBLIC! 

That has always confused me...Why do women cover themselfs more only when praying?? Out of respect I know, but Allah knows what your body looks like. If you obey that, then why not hijab to? I hate seeing those trasprant little hijabs...please show respect when going to the Masjid.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 8:50am
aishag88- I think we are all a little tired of being told what to wear. And I think salwar kameez are perfectly modest to pray in so I don't know why you would need to wear a prayer skirt. Women are really starting to tire of this constant emphasis on what they wear. I think every woman has to figure that out in the west herself. And she should feel comfortable in her sourroundings. I have said before that I don't wear a hijab because I don't like making a spectacle of myself, And many women feel this way. I dress like a typical American only more conservative. I wear American skirts, blouses and pants only long and loose. By the way around the world Muslim women dress differently in every culture and country. Just dressing in Abaya like an Arab is not the only way. In Africa the women wear bright colored dresses ofted sleeves above the elbow with thier hair wrapped up. The reason is they are doing chores like milking goats and picking produce so they cant be cloaked from head to toe. It is more practical for them to dress this way.
Women need to get over this issue and look at whats really going on in the world, and as a convert I know that every Muslim thinks thier opinion and thier way is the only way and I'm sick of it!!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 10:45am

Bismillah,

Of course I agree with you, Jenni.

Aisha, people have different motivations and feelings.  If you feel ashamed to dress with tight jeans and a short scarf, then you should dress in a way that makes you feel proud of yourself all the time.  That way you can focus on your spiritual growth instead of your clothing.  Do what you think is right!

However, it is a bad idea to leap from judging yourself to judging others.  When I first went to the mosque, my very first time, it was summer and hot.  Normally then as a 21 year old, I wore short sleeves always.  So I bought a pair of loose pants and a long sleeve shirt to go to the mosque sit and learn in the women's group.  Fortunately my Muslimah friend took me.  The women stared at me, didn't greet me, excluding me completely.  I did not return.  My friend answered my questions from then on. (I don't think there was an interactive internet then as there is now, and I know I didn't know about it!  That was over 20 years ago!)

Do you get my point?  And if a person gets stuck at some point wearing tight jeans, or Allah, SWT, forbid, a belly-showing shirt and hijab, we should appreciate the fact that, yes, these are our Muslim sisters. 

Al-Hamudulilah for all of our Muslimat (Muslimah plural) no matter what they wear.  I love you all because you love our beloved Prophets, and I love them too.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Muslim Friend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslim Friend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 10:57am
Aishaq88 - sweety, i'm not being patronizing here, but your saying that you were led to writing this topic, because you were dressed immodestly - can i suggest you take your own advice.
O Allah! Bless Muhammad and let his be the place close to you on the day of Resurrection.
aishag88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aishag88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 11:36am

I don't understnda the way this form works at all!

I am wrting to express my opions. Sister you don't have to listen to my advise, you don't have to read what I write. Its your choice if you think you have heard this to many times. I said in the writing that its something I hear a lot..So i descided to write about that. Why are you critcing me for that?

Muslim frined...You need to read it again.

queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 12:21pm

It just seems like the sister aisha is pondering over thoughts on how she should dress, what is wrong with that? everyone has opinions and its interesting to hear different ones.

Sister Jenni I personally find it weird when I pray in shalwar kamiz,as I recently visited Pakistan and I returned to London as a victim of the dredded "tight fitting kamiz syndrome" My wardrobe is now full of tightly fitted, half sleeved/no sleeve, low neck line kamizs.(to wear under my jilbaab of course). But I'd feel a right fool praying in such clothes and I don't think my prayers will be accepted, simply because my awrah is not covered.so i wear a loose jilbaab over me to pray in. that is why i understand why some women may choose to wear a skirt when they pray at the mosque. so i have to disgaree with you sis, i don't think shalwar kamiz is always modest.

However there is a difference of opinion on what the dress of a woman is and no where in the qu'ran are we told to wear abayas. but we are told to cover certain parts of our body, such as the head and the bosoms (the chest). therefore it does make sense to wear an abaya and a head scarf.because it easily conforms to what islam permits.there is another opinion that your hijaab should be one garment incorporating the head and body piece (a salafi view).we could go on about different opinions till the cows come home. but we'd be here forever.

As far as comments such as "I don't wear hijab because I don't like making a spectacle of myself" go..........frankly I find that laughable!You don't wear it because you don't want to!end of.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 1:34pm
Queenie, I don't want to be harassed thank you. I wear it when I go to pakistan and I certainly don't have to wear it there as it is totally optional and my husband nor his family pressure me. So don't judge me. I am sick of all the hate and judgement over this issue, muslim sisters are so divided that the whole unity bit is a total crock!!! An my shalvar kamiz are loose fitting and long sleeve and perfectly fine to pray in. So again keep you judgements to yourself and please sisters there are bigger issues facing the world, like war, poverty, domestic abuse, child sex trafficking ect ect ect. And muslim sisters could use thier time better than nitpicking what each other wears, I hear this complaint from many many sisters..........
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 1:36pm
Queenie, by the way not all of us buy the tight sexy shelvar kameez and women in pakistan have been praying in thier modest traditional clothes for generations. This arab abaya concept is very recent..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic