IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Acid reflux Disease  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acid reflux Disease

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acid reflux Disease
    Posted: 17 March 2006 at 2:25pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

I am wondering if any of you know of a natural way to control acid reflux? I have GERDS and have been taking Prevacid, but I am tired of taking the pills, I'm not sure what side effects they are having after so long, and they cost $200.00 a month. I have been looking for natural remedies that REALLY work, but have not found any. I have tried almost everything...

Any help would be appreciated.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ZEA J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZEA  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 2:31pm
if you don't mind me asking sister Mishmish, what is acid reflux?
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 2:49pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Sis Zea, acid reflux is when contents of your stomach come back up your esophagus (sp.?).  It can cause heartburn, and cause much damage to the tissues of your esophagus, among other things.

Sis Mishmish, I don't know of natural remedies, but here are some pointers that might be helpful:

• eat more and smaller meals (rather than 3 large meals a day)
  • don't eat within at least 4 hours before bedtime and don't have a big meal at supper time
  • prop up your upper body in bed by putting blocks under the feet of the head of the bed or by using a triangle shaped foam under yourself
  • chew sugarless gum after eating (the extra saliva it makes your mouth produce is quite helpful)
  • avoid caffine, chocolate (O.K. enjoy your chocolate and then chew lots of gum and Tums!!!), spicy food, and other things you know make your stomach worse
  • drink lots of water

The gum thing really works, though of course it won't rid you of the disease.  If you feel like doing some reading, just "google" acid reflux and there is tons of information out there.  It seems to be a very common problem and it seems that once you have it, you always will.

When my stomach is really bad, I swallow a tsp. of baking soda disolved in luke warm water, then drink tons more to rid the salty taste away.  This really helps when things are quite bad, but, I don't know how good it is to swallow that much baking soda!

I do hope that you can find some solutions to ease your problems with your stomach and may Allah give you much patience to deal with this more than pesky problem!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 3:10pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sister Ummziba:

I have googled myself silly... I have had this problem for over 15 years and been off and on the Prevacid for 10 years.

I have good days and bad days. On my bad days a slice of bread or crackers will make my life unbearable. On good days I can eat almost anything with just heartburn. It can be a nightmare.

I have tried all of the above, plus just restricting my diet to almost nothing. The problem with acid reflux is that even if you stomach is empty you get the acid.

I have read that eating or sucking on a slice of apple will calm your stomach. Have you ever tried this? I don't like apples since a traumatic half-worm experiance as a child.... They usually make me gag uncontrollably, but I would be willing to try if it works.

Salaams,

Dwanna

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 5:34pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Sis Mishmish, I have also suffered as you for many years - as I said, once you have it you have it forever.  I totally understand the good days/bad days scenario and that sometimes even crackers or bread or even rice can make life unbearable....

I've never tried sucking on a slice of apple, though I eat apples all the time (but always remove the skin, it irritates my stomach).  I'll try it next time (in five minutes or five hours or five days???) and see if it helps me or not.  It probably works on the same principle as chewing gum, it makes your mouth produce extra saliva, which helps your stomach.

Doesn't it drive you nuts when you've done everything right, eaten the right foods and small portions and out of the blue ~ BAM! acid?   It is even more discouraging to wake up on occassional nights with (warning: grossness to follow, don't read if you dislike being grossed out!) a mouth full of vomit and a stomach on fire.

I worry about taking acid reducing pills for years upon years, wondering what other problems doing so has caused, but, what else is there to do?  Like you said, even when we do everything right we can still get the problem.  I've gone off the pills in the past but end up taking so many antacids I'm afraid of growing an extra set of bones from all that calcium!

I wonder, have you had your gall bladder removed?  All my acid reflux problems started after I had that surgery about 18 years or so ago.  First my pyloric valve started having spasms, then the heartburn began, and it's been down hill (or up esophagus ) ever since.

Maybe someone else will read this thread and have something that worked for them, but I am not hopeful.  Sis, I'll think of you and say a prayer for you everytime my stomach is on fire (that will be lots of prayers, and they never hurt!).

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 6:56pm

Assalamu Alaikum

My dad suffered from acid reflux.  His cure was a teaspoon of baking soda in warm water.  Not only does it taste horrible, it is truly is not good for the lining of you stomach it you do it too often.  There are several good benefits to chewing sugar free gum after you eat, including removing harmful plaque.  I recommend Orbit. 

Sister Mishmish, have you checked to see if you have any food allergies what will make it act up more?  Sometimes we have food allergies which are not as life threatening as nuts for some; however; they are enough to add to the problems associate with acid reflux.  Along with no caffeine, stay away from carbonated drinks of any kind. 

I pray that you find some way to deal with your acid reflux.  Ameen!  If I come across any additionals information, I will let you know.  Oh, do things to reduce stress like a warm bath or shower...soaking in a hot tub if you have one...go for a walk, do some yoga stretches if you can.  I do know that stress affect a person's acid reflux level.  Have you tried warm teas like peppermint, almond or camomile?  Those may help as well.

Allah Hafiz

Sister Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
ZEA J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZEA  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 9:59pm

SAALAAM

thank you so much sister ummziba ,may Allah reward you.ameen.

"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2006 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

I have been looking for natural remedies that REALLY work, but have not found any. I have tried almost everything...

Any help would be appreciated.

If you haven't,

You really need to go to a naturopath or homoepath to help with the natural remedies.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic