IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Veil: the View From the Inside  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVeil: the View From the Inside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Veil: the View From the Inside
    Posted: 29 July 2006 at 3:38pm

Bismillah,

I read this piece.  In that it is one person's experience, it is valid.  In that it says this:

It is non-Muslim (and "liberated" Muslim) women who are to be pitied for displaying their private self for all to see.

It is provocatively annoying, foolish, hurtful and completely wrong.

Salaamu Alaykum

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Srya View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 10:45pm

Salem,

Great Article.

I would like to say here that No matter how we try to make excuses for ourselves why we don't cover the bottom line is this, that the words of ALLAH swt in the Quran Clearly tells us to cover. Period. That's it. No if's, and's or but's about it.

Surah 3 Ayat 186
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Suzanne Suzanne wrote:

Salem,

Great Article.

I would like to say here that No matter how we try to make excuses for ourselves why we don't cover the bottom line is this, that the words of ALLAH swt in the Quran Clearly tells us to cover. Period. That's it. No if's, and's or but's about it.

Bismillah,

Sister Suzanne,

This statement I bolded above is arrogrant, and Allah, SWT, doesn't love arrogance, but rewards humility and piety.

Pity by design is a thing of mercy, but we humans have contorted it into a thing of arrogance and haughtiness.

Do a forum search under this topic to see the pages and pages of your Muslim Sisters who disagree with your statement.

Again, focus on piety.  And men lower your gazes, and dress modestly, please.  May Allah, SWT, reward you for your efforts.

Salaamu Alaykum

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 7:44am

Assalamu alaikum,

I wonder, Sister Herjihad, from your above post, if you feel it would be better if sisters who say the hijab is obligatory would express pity for those who do not wear it?

Allah's decree in the Qur'an is quite clear.  Perhaps Sister Suzanne could have expressed that with more piety or pity, or at least with more tact - but I doubt that would have made the truth of the statement any more palatable to some.

Pages and pages of sisters who don't agree with wearing hijab does not make it so.  Why must some always show such an argumentive attitude for those Muslimahs who follow the law of Allah and say so on the forum?

I am sure the original post in this thread was not to rehash the same old arguments nor to open the same old wounds.  Rather, I am sure that Sister  Fatima posted it as a piece to boost the moral of the hijabi's, who in this world climate are bearing the brunt of hateful stares and worse from those who have decided to hate Muslims.

Sister, I (and many others) greatly respect your choice of apparel, as everyone's choice is surely between Allah and themselves.  You are also respected as a prominent member of this forum.  Let's not let the issue of "a piece of cloth" cause bad feelings or arguments between the Sisters

Calling one's words that express the decree of Allah "arrogant" is surely not called for.  Of course you have the right to your opinion, as does everyone, but let's all try to express our opinions without the hurtful words. 

The whole world is quickly spinning out of all reason and we Muslims are all in a very bad situation.  We Muslims need to stick together, support one another and be each others best friends.

Let us all try a lot harder to speak with kindness toward one another and express opposing views with out malice or harsh words.  It is getting to the point where petty disagreements just have to be put aside so we can all unite.  We can agree to disagree, but let's try hard to do it kindly.

As mother's like to say to their fighting toddlers "make nice!"  And if that doesn't work for you ladies, just watch the news for five minutes or so - this slip of decorum will seem like nothing compared to the problems others are facing right now!!!!

And Sister Fatima, thanks for the original post in this thread - in these times I can use all the spiritual boosting I can get.

May Allah forgive me if I have hurt any feelings or said anything in error.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 12:28pm

Bismillah,

Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

I wonder, Sister Herjihad, from your above post, if you feel it would be better if sisters who say the hijab is obligatory would express pity for those who do not wear it?

No, sister.  That is what she said and what I bolded.  Mutual respect would be a fine thing to try to achieve. 

Allah's decree in the Qur'an is quite clear.  Perhaps Sister Suzanne could have expressed that with more piety or pity, or at least with more tact - but I doubt that would have made the truth of the statement any more palatable to some.

Many erudite Muslimeen disagree with this.  Not only that, the focus on a head scarf and not on moral certitude of the whole community is very disconcerting to many of us.  Many, many muslims disagree about the scarf and coat and just because you get the last word or repeat yourself endlessly does not make your statements true.

May Allah reward all of the good you do in this life, including your apparrel.

Pages and pages of sisters who don't agree with wearing hijab does not make it so. 

Why must some always show such an argumentive attitude for those Muslimahs who follow the law of Allah and say so on the forum?

You can follow Allah's law as you see fit and will receive the reward for that from Him, but as I stated above, many muslims have different intepretations of the Holy Quran than yours and the mainstream thought of this cite.  The argument is the rude statement in Sister Fatima's post by the sister who wrote the article denegrating non-hijabis.  It shouldn't have been included if a peaceful presentation of support for hijabis were the goal.

I am sure the original post in this thread was not to rehash the same old arguments nor to open the same old wounds.  Rather, I am sure that Sister  Fatima posted it as a piece to boost the moral of the hijabi's, who in this world climate are bearing the brunt of hateful stares and worse from those who have decided to hate Muslims.

I disagree with your assessment.  The article openly put down non-hijabis as pitable. You want me to let that pass?  No.  I don't think so.

By the way, I wore the hijab and coat for 15 years and still wear it to mosque.  I've experience the paranoia and hatred that it arrouses in people personally, and still do sometimes.

It is non-Muslim (and "liberated" Muslim) women who are to be pitied for displaying their private self for all to see.

Sister, I (and many others) greatly respect your choice of apparel, as everyone's choice is surely between Allah and themselves.  You are also respected as a prominent member of this forum.  Let's not let the issue of "a piece of cloth" cause bad feelings or arguments between the Sisters

I respect others choice of clothing.  You're not going to see me "pitying" a hijabi!  You need to realize that insults like this need to be stopped at least on this forum so that we can finally have a real dialogue on the subject.

Calling one's words that express the decree of Allah "arrogant" is surely not called for.  Of course you have the right to your opinion, as does everyone, but let's all try to express our opinions without the hurtful words. 

Sorry, sis.  I haven't changed my original assessment of the sister's statement.  It was condescending and arrogant.  Calling an acorn a rose just won't make it so.

The whole world is quickly spinning out of all reason and we Muslims are all in a very bad situation.  We Muslims need to stick together, support one another and be each others best friends.

Let us all try a lot harder to speak with kindness toward one another and express opposing views with out malice or harsh words.  It is getting to the point where petty disagreements just have to be put aside so we can all unite.  We can agree to disagree, but let's try hard to do it kindly.

I agree, sister.  We need to discuss things politely and respectfully.  When are you going to recognize that millions of muslim don't wear scarves and don't intend to and don't believe it to be required?  We acknowledge your point of view, you need to acknowledge our in order to have a dialogue.

As mother's like to say to their fighting toddlers "make nice!"  And if that doesn't work for you ladies, just watch the news for five minutes or so - this slip of decorum will seem like nothing compared to the problems others are facing right now!!!!

All of people's problems are important.  If little Joey gets a nail in his foot, it hurts.  We all need to individually examine our own priorities and thank Allah, The Provider, for all of the things we have in this life. 

But we still need to talk about things and tell people when they've said something inappropriate when it is.  Otherwise, they'll just keep stomping all over people's feelings and rights, and that sounds familiar right now too, doesn't it?

And Sister Fatima, thanks for the original post in this thread - in these times I can use all the spiritual boosting I can get.

I do agree, Sister Fatima, that a post encouraging and supporting each other in Islaamic decisions is important.  Maybe next time you could judiciously delete the one condescending, arrogant statement that will offend many people who never respond to this forum and won't take part because of this type of attitude.

May Allah forgive me if I have hurt any feelings or said anything in error.

Ameen.  You and me both.

Salaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by herjihad
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2006 at 10:12am

I thought the article in a sense, was a good insight into the way and experiences of one person.

Unfortuntately with te way things are in some areas, in Saudi Arabia you must wear it, in Turkey, France, etc. you are more restricted. Often the decision is not left up to the woman themselves . So we cannot tell what is in one's heart. None of us can know unless they blatantly go against the law or customs.

So we need to let women be as they are.

May each of us be good in our hearts and actions.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Srya View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 10:07pm

Salem,

"And whatever the Messenger gives you, take it, and whatever he forbids you, leave it. And fear Allah: truly Allah is severe in punishment. " [Qur'an 59:7]

In one tradition, the Prophet Muhammad is quoted as saying: "...If the woman reaches the age of puberty, no part of her body should be seen but this --- and he pointed to his face and hands."

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and
guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their
right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense
of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards God, that ye may attain Bliss.

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And God is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Sister Herjihad wrote : "When are you going to recognize that millions of muslim don't wear scarves and don't intend to and don't believe it to be required?"

Sister Herjihad,

I would like to dicuss politely and respectfully here. My point of view here is what I listed from the Quran and what Prophet Mohammed pbuh said. From what you read in the beginning of my post, please how do you justify your comments that I bolded?

Surah 3 Ayat 186
kagenokunoichi View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 5:50pm

I liked this article. 

And I believe that if a woman wants to call herself a Muslim without wearing a hijab, that's none of my business.  I can wear mine and set a good example, but other than that there's no need for argument.  It's a matter of individual faith. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic