IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sisters in City Government USA  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sisters in City Government USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NieeMA Thasing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sisters in City Government USA
    Posted: 13 January 2007 at 11:25am
Assalaamu Alaikum

Alhumdillah
I am a new member of this forum/group and in a very short time I have been welcomed warmly Alhumdillah.

I started this topic because I think that this is a fine place to hook up with sisters who are of like mind.
Serving on City councils or any City Government in the USA.  It does not matter if you are on now, past or are looking at the future, I want to share information with you.  I am especially wanting to hook up with sisters from small towns in'shaAllah but I am looking forward to impute from all.

I hope to start a topic on health issues as well if there is not one in'shaAllah and if there is time.

A bit about me?  I am NieeMA Thasing a nine year Revert
I have two children and 5 Grand babies.  I also mother to the son of my new husband.

I am into health.  I remember reading what was said about Allah putting things on earth to cure all things.  Well, I am now spending a good amount of time looking into that.  Honey and Black seed are the cures for everything but death is what has been said.

I love to read about things related to health and might one day become an ND. in'shaAllah. (Naturopath)

I also remember reading about us as women needing to learn how to hunt, fish, and ride a horse and camel.  Well, I alhumdillah can do all of that and love it!!!
Living in a peaceful and fresh environment is what I need and Allah has provided that for me.

I grow up in St. Paul Minnesota and up until 2002 I was living mostly in the Twin Cities.

In 2002 I moved from St. Paul Minnesota to the Nederlands to be with my new husband Jan Sallim Thasing a Dutch revert of 6 years.  I am still a fully cover African American sister.
Yes, I am the nieema with no last name.

I returned to St. Paul Minnesota on July 3rd 2005 to attend to my dying father.  He died on July 7th.

On or about Aug. 2005 we move to South Dakota.

On May 1st 2006 we bought a home in Elkton South Dakota.  Elkton has about 695 residents.

I/we love it here in SD.  We live not that far from the original series "Little House on the Prairie"

In July I was approached by the Mayor of Elkton asking me if I wanted to be on the City Council as a Ward 1 Representative.  After having conversation with my husband Sallim and prayer, I told the Mayor yes.

The  Mayor took his time in putting me on the City Council so the community could get a chance to meet me and know me fully.  I work with two of the six City Council persons in the school (Fall of this school year I started teaching at the local school K-12 as a substitute.)
Our son is friends with the children of another Council member, so it was not hard to get to know people and they to know me.
We also have a member of the Council that is from Mormon (Latter-day Saints).  She and I worked on the abortion issue together and supported a candidate that was Pro-Life.

On January 3rd of 2007 I was appointed to the City Council by the Mayor and voted in as well by the full council, as a show of confidence.

January 7th, as a volunteer  assignment, I met some members of my ward for the first time.  I was welcomed in their homes like and old friend.  I was told about the history of Elkton and about the things that concerned them.  I listened and told them that they had an open door to me.
I let them know that that is the way of Islam, we look out for our neighbors, it is our duty!!!

The town of Elkton has welcomed our entire family with open arms.  This is a town that feels if you believe in God, then things are ok.

So far I have had a lot of people ask me "Why South Dakota?"

South Dakota is the place we planned to retire to in around 2015 or so if Allah willed it. 
My husband came to the US to visit me and we went to see the people that introduced us.  They live in a small town here in South Dakota.  While visiting we fell in love with the clean air and the open spaces of South Dakota.  It reminds me of the wonderful life I had in the Nederlands.

The other question asked, Why Elkton why a small town?

Alhumdillah
When we were living in the Nederlands, we were in a village about 3 miles from the German boarder.  I shopped in Germany more then the Nederlands.  My husband went to Jummah in Germany.
Our village was voted the cleanest place in the Nederlands and West Germany.  Coming to Elkton had that same easy going friendly, open tolerant feeling and fresh air.

There are several Hetterite colonies around us and those women are covered too.  So, I guess long skirts and a Hijab was not new to many folks.

When we came to South Dakota in August before we bought our home, we were surprised to find that there is a wonderful new Masjid in Brookings just a mear 15 miles from us.  Brookings is a good sized University town with many many Muslims attending the school.  My husband is now on the Board of Directors as the secretary.
Not the "Little Mosque on the Prairie" but it will do.

So far so good

lets talk!!!

Your sister in Islam

NieeMA

Edited by NieeMA Thasing
USA-NIQAABI View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA-NIQAABI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2007 at 5:27pm

Assalamu'Alaikum Sr,

I've heard that about the Nederlands my friend was flying on KLM and had an unexpected extended layover and she had an opportunity to see a bit of the city and she said it was so lovely cobblestone streets and quaint shops etc.....

Wow...Deutchland huh....how was it being there as a muslimah?

Mash'Allah it sounds like you've lived a blessed and wonderful life in many countries!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic