IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Niqab! Wajib or Sunnah?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Niqab! Wajib or Sunnah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 8:30pm

Asalamu Alaykum

ok some of you are going of topic and starting to insult each other for some reason when all I asked for was just to give me a simple daleel stating if the niqab was wajib or sunnah, and I personally can't understand what's with all these off topic arguments. In the Name of Allah, if I knew that this thread would cause problems at all I would have never mentioned the niqab. I wanted to know if it was wajib or sunnah because I was interested in wearing it and also I had to write an essay about it over the summer with evidence from the Prophet's sayings. One thing that I forgot to do was close this thread after I got what I wanted and that's my fault and forgive me for that. All I'm asking write now is for the moderators to close this thread, please, it's causing problems.

queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 4:45am

From the 4 Madhabib (4 madhabs).......

Mufti Anwar Ali Adam Al Mazahiri (Mufti A'azam (Head Mufti) of Madrasa Madinatil Uloom Trinidad & Tobago.)
"Imam Shafi, Malik and Hanbal hold the view that niqaab (covering the face and the hands completely with only a small area for the eyes to see) as
being compulsory (fard).  Imam Abu Hanifa says that niqaab is Wajib and the face and hands can be exposed provided that there is not fear of desire if one looks at the female face, otherwise if there is the slightest chance of desire developing in the looker (the meaning of desire is that the looker would see the female face and think that she is beautiful, sexual thaught is not what is meant) then exposing the face and hands is Haraam.
(This is from the fatwaa issued by  Mufti Anwar Ali Adam Al Mazahiri on 13/9/99.  He derived the opnions of the 4 Imaams  from these sources Tafseer Ibn Katheer, Tafseer Ma'rifatul Qur'aan, Durre Muhtaar, Fatawa Shami, Al Mabsoot, Fathul Qadeer. And the opinion of Imaam Abu hanifah is a directly derived from his statements in the Famous book of hanafi Fiqh Fatwaa Shami)

queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 4:48am

I found this website. It has loads of daleel, hadiths etc about niqaab. Most of them are inclined towards niqaab being compulsory or recommended. it might be useful in helipng you to decide what to do inshallah.

http://members.tripod.com/~ibnfarooq/niqaab.htm#quran

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:46am
I have a question.  I once saw a very beautiful picture of a Bedouin woman in the Arabian desert.  She was wearing a full black veil, I'm assuming it was a Niqaab, but her eyes were exposed.  Is that also called a Niqaab or is there a different term if the eyes are exposed.  I've heard one major complaint from women who are required to wear the burka or niqaab is that they cannot see and stumble and fall quite often.  What's the difference between eyes exposed and eyes covered?
ummyasmeen View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummyasmeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 5:13pm

as salaamu alaykum

Angela that is also called a niqaab there is a half niqaab that shows the eyes it is made with elastic in the back or ties and there is full niqaab that most sisters wear that has the flap that allows them to flip that part down to shield thier eyes if they want more privacy. As for everyone elses talk about niqaab I have read some really good post and some really subhana Allah posts that I would never want to actually hear coming out of a muslims mouth. If the women of the prophet's Sallawho Alayhe wa Salaam Days didnt wear the niqaab why did he go out of his way to say not to wear it during hajj. Also When Surah Nur Was revealed the women tore the bottom of the skirts off and came from the tents unreconized.

When the ayah in Surah an Nur (24:31) was revealed, 'Aaisha (RAA) narrated: "May Allah bestow His Mercy on the first Muhajirat (emigrants). When Allah revealed, '...and draw their Khumur over their Juyubihinna...', (i.e. the women) tore their material and covered themselves with it." [Saheeh al Bukhari]. Ibn Hajar al Asqalanee, who is known as Ameer al Mu'mineen in the field of hadeeth, said that the phrase, "covered themselves", in the above hadeeth means that they "covered their faces." [Fath al Bari]

Clearly many of our contemporary 'Ulama, such as Shaikh 'Abdul-'Azeez bin Baaz, Shaikh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen, may Allah give them both life (ameen), feel that the Niqaab is indeed Waajib upon the believing women and their argument is strong and convincing, in my humble opinion. Others from amongst our 'Ulama, such as the Muhaadith of our time, Shaikh Muhammad Nassirudeen al Albaanee, may Allah give him life (ameen), clearly feel that the Niqaab is not Waajib but rather Mustahaab (highly recommended). Refer to his book, "Jilbaabul Mar'atul Muslimah". This argument is also strong and convincing.

I found this statement and I thought masha allah I should share this as it kinds of sums up what is being said here:

Regardless of which opinion one follows, I would say that there is no doubt concerning the benefits of Niqaab, and the scholars do not differ in this regard. In fact, today we hear many cries against the Niqaab for many reasons which do not make much sense. For example, the argument that the Niqaab is counterproductive to Da'wah in non-Muslim lands. After having established that the Niqaab is indeed an authentic part of Islam, we must then conclude that to hide it is what is counterproductive to Da'wah. No one would dare think that the Sahabah spread Islam throughout the lands of the earth by concealing the practices they learned from the Messenger of Allah (saaws); thus, as Umar ibn al Khattab (raa) declared: "LET THE SUNNAH GO FORTH AND DON'T STOP IT WITH OPINIONS." Other modernist Du'at claim that Niqaab is in fact Makruh or disliked!! How strange! They stand upon their own 'Aql (intellect) which is weak in light of the authenticated reports we have above

If I have said anything haraam then truly it is from Shaitan and If I have said anything good That is truly from Allah

Have a blessed Ramadan

umm yasmeen

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 5:43pm

Thank you, Umm Yasmeen.

I appreciate the clarification.  Its hard sometimes to follow threads like this when you don't know what the differences are. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic