Print Page | Close Window

Why the Sabbath is not respected in Islam

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Interfaith Dialogue
Forum Description: It is for Interfaith dialogue, where Muslims discuss with non-Muslims. We encourge that dialogue takes place in a cordial atmosphere on various topics including religious tolerance.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12527
Printed Date: 20 September 2024 at 5:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why the Sabbath is not respected in Islam
Posted By: SilverArrow
Subject: Why the Sabbath is not respected in Islam
Date Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:48pm
Hi,

Just a quick question:
- Can someone explain from the theological point of view of Islamic teachings why the Sabbath is not respected by Muslims?

Respectfully,
Alex

Replies:
Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:57pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

Becouse Allah changed it to a Friday and there was no specific command to keep this jewish tradition. you may have to look up the original reason why Allah chose friday specifically as our holy day to get a better understanding, i dont have that information maybe one of the other forum members knows.

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Posted By: robin
Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 2:45pm

Originally posted by SilverArrow SilverArrow wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick question:
- Can someone explain from the theological point of view of Islamic teachings why the Sabbath is not respected by Muslims?

Respectfully,
Alex

Sabbath observance is not for Christians!

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 4:44pm
Asalaamu alaikum,
I believe you can find some of the sources for this in haditha and sunnah:

Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "Jews and Christians do not dye their hair so you should do the opposite of what they do."

Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "We are the last (to come) but we will be the foremost on the Day of Resurrection, nations were given the Book (i.e.Scripture) before us, and we were given the Holy Book after them. This(i.e. Friday) is the day about which they differed. So the next day (i.e. Saturday) was prescribed for the Jews and the day after it (i.e.Sunday) for the Christians. It is incumbent on every Muslim to wash his head and body on a Day (i.e. Friday) (at least) in every seven days."

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 5:00pm

Hi,

Just a quick question:

Respectfully,
Alex

Alex,
a very good and valid question, we are still waiting for the experts to pitch-in. Meanwhile I, as a Muslim will say this:
I am not aware that there is any day in Islam that is designated as rest day from physical work, activity, cooking food etc, like Shabbat or Sabbath is.
In Quran I have not come accross any such command that asks us to oberve Sabbath or any other day as such. 
It is mentioned about its observance by the people of the book:
16:124 The sabbath was only made (strict) for those who disagreed (as to its observance); But Allah will judge between them on the Day of Judgment, as to their differences.
And also of those who did not respected it then:
4:47 O ye People of the Book! believe in what We have (now) revealed, confirming what was (already) with you, before We change the face and fame of some (of you) beyond all recognition, and turn them hindwards, or curse them as We cursed the sabbath-breakers, for the decision of Allah Must be carried out"

Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Posted By: SilverArrow
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 5:20pm
Hi,

I asked this question with the idea in my mind that if the Qur'an is the last message from God which corrects and validates previous scriptures it should also enforce the Sabbath in my view and other Jewish or Christian religious holidays as per God's recommendation in these scriptures.

This is also one of my preoccupations with the universality of the message of the Holy Scriptures, whether Judaic or Christian. The Jesus's message and the Evangile itself was first addressed to the lost sheep of Israel and consequently addressed also to the world by apostles.
While the Torah, as preached in  Judaism is simply a Jewish matter, of their nation, etc.

I read some books on this subject from Jewish religious literature and it's said the following:
- The gentiles are not obliged to observe the Sabbath since is a given by God to Jewish people, but the gentiles can observe the Noahide (Noah) Laws which are composed of 7 important commandments.

The thing which comes out of this logic is that if the world was created by God in 6 days (ages, era, etc) and He rested in the 7 day then this day should be respected also by everyone regardless of his religious affiliation.
To me to say, that the Sabbath was given to Jewish people only doesn't make sense in the context of the creation itself. Is like assuming that God created the world only for Jewish people and not for all the people of earth.

In this general context described above I am trying to find out what is the Islamic point of view on this issue.

Posted By: Israfil
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:11pm
I came across this by accident. Thought it was interesting and seemingly plausible. http://www.jews-for-allah.org/Jews-and-Muslims-Agree/jewishsabbath-islamsabbath.htm - http://www.jews-for-allah.org/Jews-and-Muslims-Agree/jewishsabbath-islamsabbath.htm

Posted By: abuzaid
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:13pm
SilverArrow,

We believe that Sabbath(saturday) was just a day God chose for Israelites and we are not aware if it has any relation with creation. We do not trust passage of bible which says God rested on 7th day.
In fact Quran denies this claim.

50:38 We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in Six Days, nor did any sense of weariness touch Us.

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:13am
Wink

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Posted By: Theophilus
Date Posted: 31 May 2008 at 6:24pm

I am already 60 years old but just newly embraced ISLAM (after three years of self-study and interacting with good people in the internet) Honestly, i am on the 7th time in reading the Noble Quran with The Holy Bible in my side (for comparison purposes). I have not read any verse in Noble Quran that I can CONSIDER specifically disrespecting Sabbath instead I came across verses in Quran that abhored Sabbath breakers. (If I happened slipped some of the verses that indicates disrespecting Sabbath in Noble Quran, please do tell me where to find those in Noble Quran. I wanted to read it, study it in thew glory of GOD whosent Jesus and Muhammad).

PHILOWink

-------------
Let no life be spared in the name of religion.

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 05 June 2008 at 12:36pm

Hi,

I asked this question with the idea in my mind that if the Qur'an is the last message from God which corrects and validates previous scriptures it should also enforce the Sabbath in my view and other Jewish or Christian religious holidays as per God's recommendation in these scriptures.

I read some books on this subject from Jewish religious literature and it's said the following:
- The gentiles are not obliged to observe the Sabbath since is a given by God to Jewish people, but the gentiles can observe the Noahide (Noah) Laws which are composed of 7 important commandments.

The thing which comes out of this logic is that if the world was created by God in 6 days (ages, era, etc) and He rested in the 7 day then this day should be respected also by everyone regardless of his religious affiliation.
To me to say, that the Sabbath was given to Jewish people only doesn't make sense in the context of the creation itself. Is like assuming that God created the world only for Jewish people and not for all the people of earth.

In this general context described above I am trying to find out what is the Islamic point of view on this issue.

Interesting question. I myself never thought about it before,  . . . Cz well, its a jewish tradition. Heres why I think muslims dont follow Sabbath:

1. First of all, the concept behind Sabbath itself is against Islamic beliefs i.e. God made the world in 6 days and on the 7th He "rested". Muslims have a completely different concept of God, that He is unique, and does not have limitations. The fact that according to Judaism, God needed to "rest" on the 7th day goes against the "divine" , immortal concept of God. God is beyond human limitations and does not need to rest. Something He states in the Quran explicitly in Surah Baqarah (Chapter of the Cow) Verse 255 - "No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep" .. and later,  "He feeleth No fatigue in guarding And preserving them (heavens & the earth), For He is the Most High. "
As for ppl who may say that term "rested on the 7th day" is not used literally etc etc . . .Well, the MAJORITY of Christians and Jews take in the literal sense, which is why Jews are supposed to take the Sabbath day off as well. If it wasnt used literally, Jews wouldnt be taking the day off on Saturday and replicate the "rest", that God supposedly took. If "God" is resting, or needs to rest, than this particular being is not God. (This to me seems like a pagan concept of God, associating human-limitations to God, which I believe probably got mixed up somewhere down the road with Jewish beliefs)

2. Though Muslims believe in a lot of aspects of Judaism & Christian beliefs, (since we believe that Islam is a continual of these scriptures) . . . we also believe that the scriptures were later polluted by the followers and are no longer in the original form. Hence we dont believe in ALL the rulings of Judaism. There are a lot of practises from original Judaism that Islam continued, an example being circumcision, beards for men, hijab for women etc etc. Judaism and Islam are more alike than any religion out there.

3. Islam is a very practical and people-friendly religion. All its commandments are practical, easy and not hard on its followers. Though Islam too has aspects which require self-control, patience etc , they are reasonable and practical and are reasonalbly spaced. The only aspect of Islam that I can think of which require any self-control, patience or out-of-ordinary acts are Fasting and Hajj the Pilgrimage. But even then, Fasting is only for a couple of hours , for one month ONCE each yr. And the Pilgrimage is only for ONCE in a LIFETIME. And that too, only if the muslim meets the ability criteria. Numerous times thr Prophet was quoted telling the Muslims not be hard on themselves, etc.
          And Sabbath is clearly impractical and unreasonable. Every WEEK for a DAY, a person is asked not to perform daily, neccessary acts. They cannot light fires, switch on lights, use transport, perform paid labour etc etc. A lot of problems can arise from this. Especially in todays day and age (which stresses how Judaism is niether universal NOR timeless) And that doesnt even achieve any purpose, ppl simply turn on thier lights before Sabbath begins, pre-cook etc. So its not like they are actually learning any lesson in selfcontrol or good. The only good is that they are supposed to spend some spiritual time.
     The Prophet once said (in my own words) that Allah made Islam easy on its believers.

As for you commenting on the Jewish take on Sabbath, that only Jewish ppl shd observe sabbath, i completely agree with you there. If God created the world for evryone, then why is sabbath only for Jews??? Which brings me to the problem I have with Judaism , that it is an elitist, racist and non-universal religion.

I think Im gonna look up actual Islamic injunctions on Sabbath . . . Those were just my personal opinions.

Posted By: Caringheart
Date Posted: 17 July 2016 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by abuzaid abuzaid wrote:

SilverArrow,
50:38 We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in Six Days, nor did any sense of weariness touch Us.

Greetings,

I must point out here the word 'us'.
If the qur'an is the word that comes from the Creator, then how can the plurality of the Creator be denied?

asalaam and blessings,
Caringheart

-------------
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis

Posted By: asep48garut60
Date Posted: 19 October 2016 at 7:32pm
Dear Caringheart, Peace be with you...

Due to your question is long enough yet to be answered by Abuzaid, I will try to explain the word "Us" in such verse as follows:

The verse is correct using the word "Us", the same as other verses such as 15:9.
What is meant to 50:38, it doesn't mean that God is a lot or plural, but explains that when God created the universe the angels also getting involved, therefore, the word "Us" (nahnu) here means God and the angels.
Then, like the word "Us" (nahnu) in 15:9, it explains that the authenticity of the words of God in the Quran maintained by God, angels, and those who memorized the Quran.

In contrast to 20:14, this verse uses the word "I" (anaa), which indicates that there's no God but He, so angels and humans do not included as God.

Regards,
Asep

Posted By: DavidC
Date Posted: 20 October 2016 at 10:32am
Psalm 82 is one occurrence of God expressed as elohim (plural) and it does seem that the one God chooses to work through a divine council of angels and other lesser supernatural beings.

As Islam respects the Zabur, I note this in support of asep48's hypothesis.

-------------
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.

Date Posted: 20 October 2016 at 10:33am
Originally posted by mariyah mariyah wrote:

Wink

mariyah... I love that name.  Smile

-------------
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis

Date Posted: 20 October 2016 at 11:04am
I was brought to this thread today and feel I must comment on 2 things.
Chrysallis wrote:
"Judaism and Islam are more alike than any religion out there."
I agree, which is what makes it so hard for me to comprehend when muslims and Jews do not get along as brothers and sisters.
They are family after all.
One must examine why, and where, the animosity begins.
As far as I am aware the Jews never bore any ill will towards anyone... just kept to themselves.

"the problem I have with Judaism , that it is an elitist, racist and non-universal religion."
From my vantage point, this statement could be applied to muslims.
As you say, Judaism and islam, not so different.
Is this why they are in so much conflict with one another?
Each thinks they are superior?

Yshwe (Christ) teaches humility..."always think of yourself as less, not greater'...
'he who is least will inherit the throne of heaven'

Matthew, chapter 23
Luke, chapter 9
Mark, chapter 10
Luke, chapter16

asalaam and blessings.

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Posted By: asep48garut60
Date Posted: 26 October 2016 at 12:53pm
Dear CaringHeart,

I also agree with you that Judaism and Islam are more alike than any religion out there.

At the time of the leadership of the Prophet Muhammad in Medina, Muslims and Jews coexist even the Prophet had defended Jews in the land issue, he was ordered by Allah to always do justice without distinction of race, religion etc. The commencement of hostilities is that in my opinion is because the problem of territories dispute in Palestine and politics, not about religion.

I have a historical record of the conflict between Palestine and Israel:
In 1922, Britain did the first census on the territory of its mandate. The entire population amounted to 752.048 (Muslims 589.177, Jews 83.790, Christians 1.464, and other religions 7.617). Then the second census conducted in 1931. In 1945 a demographic study showed that the total population has increased to 1.764.520, consisting of Muslims 1.061.270, Jews 553.600, Christians 135.550, and other religions 14.100, or Muslims 60%, Jews 31%, Christians 8%, other 1%.

The conflict between Palestine and Israel begun that after in May 1947 conducted the distribution of territory between Palestine and Israel organized by the United Nations.
The result of the division is 54% to Israel, while 46% to Palestine, and when viewed from population between Israel and the Palestinians, Israel is only about 31.5% of the population. This has caused the reaction of the Palestinian fight for independence of their own land, while Israel considers that the division of the area is considered less (not enough).

It also invites Muslim sympathizers have sprung up everywhere.
Then, it's not because of Jews thinks superior, Muslims know that Jews are given more intelligence than other nations, as mentioned in the Quran.

Indeed there are some Jews who don't like bad manners such as Neturei Karta group, although Jewish, but their thinking is very different from other Jewish groups. They also pointed out that the Talmud is a book of demon that has been polluting the sanctity of Torah that God gave to Moses. Not only that, even a small percentage of Jews there are Muslims like my friends.

All the Prophets taught about goodness and truth, but among the followers of the Prophet there were faithful as followers, and some are denying or betraying their Prophet.

Regards,
Asep

Posted By: DavidC
Date Posted: 26 October 2016 at 2:42pm
>>I also agree with you that Judaism and Islam are more alike than any religion out there. <<

See Qu'ran 5:82

-------------
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.

Posted By: Saved
Date Posted: 26 October 2016 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

>>I also agree with you that Judaism and Islam are more alike than any religion out there. <<

See Qu'ran 5:82
They are alike, but that doesn't negate the gospel.

Posted By: Saved
Date Posted: 28 October 2016 at 10:21am
Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Bi ismillahi rahmani raheemBecouse Allah changed it to a Friday and there was no specific command to keep this jewish tradition. you may have to look up the original reason why Allah chose friday specifically as our holy day to get a better understanding, i dont have that information maybe one of the other forum members knows.
It wasn't just Jewish tradition; it was one of God's 10 commandments to Moses for his people to obey.

Posted By: Musheera
Date Posted: 27 July 2019 at 4:03pm
I am a new revert as well and I fully agree with your answer. One of the reasons I chose Islam is because it encompasses Judaism and Christianity. We are to listen to
ALL the things that Allah stated for his people and do them to the best of our ability. Islam was given to bring people back to the one true God. Jews went off the beaten path, Christians strayed off the truth of Prophet Yeshua, peace be upon him, and Islam was given to correct those wrongs and bring it all back to Allah. It doesn’t mean we dismiss the true commandments and directions of Allah in those other religions. We embrace all the truths that were given and dismiss the wrong parts and follow the final directions of the Quran. Allah said to do these things for ALL generations. We are to search ALL the scriptures. We are to obey ALL his commandments. Islam brings it home for the true believer. I was born a Christian and Allah has had me on a long five year journey to finding Islam. He routed me through the Jewish and Messianic religions on this journey. I came to realize the reason why is because he wanted to show me that there is his holy truth in all of it. It’s up to the believer to find these truths and learn the whole big picture and then follow what is learned. It has been a beautiful, heartbreaking, and awe inspiring journey. I had to unlearn some lies that I was taught in Christianity and Judaism. I had to learn a lot on the Arabic side of the Ishmael line and I agree that we are to follow the entire words of Allah and rest in the final truth of Islam. Inshallah

Posted By: Mohammad Isaac
Date Posted: 27 January 2022 at 11:23pm
Salaamun Alaikum

Firstly, I want you to know that Islam does establish that the Sabbath was commanded to the people of Israel. In 4:54, it says, " We raised the Mount over them for (breaking) their covenant and said,'Enter the gate(of Jerusalem) with humility.' We also warned them,'Do not break the Sabbath' and took from them a firm covenant." However, in 16:123-124, it is said," We revealed to you: 'Follow the faith of Abraham, who wasn't a polytheist'. The Sabbath was ordained for those who disputed(the faith of Abraham). Surely, your lord will judge between them regarding their disputes." Thus, it is safe to say that the Sabbath was ordained for the people of Israel. According to Islamic narrations, people were not allowed to work,not even fish or collect wood, or light fire(which means people had to stay in the dark during the night of Friday) on the day of the Sabbath. The Sabbath was a day reserved only for prayer. People of contemporary times just cannot adhere to such strict rules. In fact, according to the Bible, people during the time of Jesus were no longer obliged to obey the strict rules of the Sabbath as stated in Matthew 12:1-14, Mark 2:23-28, 2:1-6, Luke 6:1-11, 13:10-17, 14:1-6, and John 5:1-18. Technically, Muslims do have a "Sabbath hour." In 62:9, it is said, "When the call for prayer is proclaimed on Friday, hasten earnestly to the Remembrance of God, and leave off all of your businesses." However, we do not believe Allah rested on the seventh day after the beginning of the creation of the universe. It's just that the creation was completed in six days. Indeed, in 7:54, it was said, "Indeed, your Lord is Allah who created the heavens and the Earth in six days," but there is no statement where it is said that Allah rested. In fact, God never needs rest. In 2:255, it is emphatically said, "There is no god except him, Allah, the ever-living and all-sustaining. Neither drowsiness nor sleep overtakes him." Thus, we Muslims think that God resting on the seventh day of creation is a fabrication by the people of previous scriptures. Sabbath does mean rest in both Hebrew and Arabic. However, the rest refers to us, the followers of God, not our creator himself. Fun fact: Sabbath also means Saturday in both Hebrew and Arabic. Our prophet stated that God allocated the day of prayer for the Jews on Saturday, the Christians on Sunday, and the Muslims on Friday. It will the order in which we will be resurrected. Interestingly, according to Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 21, Hadith Number 284 and 285, our prophet would go to the Mosque of Quba every Saturday and perform prayers in it.

Posted By: JOB the OLD
Date Posted: 21 February 2022 at 1:28am
But why did Allah originally instructed the Jews to adhere to the Sabath, and why did Allah change some Jews into apes and swine because they did not rest on the sabath?
Q 7:166

I find it interesting that YHWH would sanction the Sabath as a day of rest in the Bible.
Then came Muhammad 1 000 years after the Old Testament, and tells us that Allah was so disgusted with Jews who fished on the Sabbath, that he turned them into apes!

Then Allah went further, and made the Friday a holy day.
It seems as if Allah changes his mind often.

Posted By: samuell344
Date Posted: 06 April 2022 at 8:20am
sabbath in judaism begins Friday sundown.   in islam all day Friday.   Friday is the true holy day.  sun day worship/sabbath of the church is pagan in origin.  sun day wa the day Rome worshipped the sun god. on sun. day 

Posted By: samuell344
Date Posted: 06 April 2022 at 8:23am
not at all.  Friday always been the holy day. jews start sabbath Friday sundown    muslims all day Friday.  'the seasons may change but god's word is eternal '   sun day worship was decreed by murderer Constantine.  as it was the day Rome worshipped the sun. god. on sun day 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net