Print Page | Close Window

SevereProbsWithSisterInLaw...

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13712
Printed Date: 06 October 2024 at 2:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: SevereProbsWithSisterInLaw...
Posted By: Hala1
Subject: SevereProbsWithSisterInLaw...
Date Posted: 11 December 2008 at 6:56pm
Cry I have a seemingly, never-ending problem...Long story short:

My sister-in-law lives within 15 minutes of my husband and I. She has lived in the US for 7+ yrs.  I brought my husband here 1 yr ago.

His sister, husband and 5 children have been fighting with my husband for months on end. She can't stop talking to family overseas...slandering us. She is 'always right' and has to be in total control of everyone's lives...even her friends!     We can't seem to do anything right.

Her children are 'angels' although they don't wear hijab, cuss, dress haram, smoke, drink and don't study Qur'an. Yet, when the teen son attacked my husband with a butcher knife...again, it was my husbands fault !!! (NOT an exaggeration)

I don't have enough room to go into all but...she has slandered me, my dear family and our country and everything that her kids do that is wrong is always due to 'the culture here', even though the 4 youngest kids don't go anywhere or do anything outside of school.
ALL attempts have been made to stop her and her kids, yet NOTHING works!!!!!!!!!!
We have done all, including ignore them completely, yet she continues to whine to all whom will lend an ear, even briefly, and we just don't know what else to do.  EVEN went to my husband's place of employment, talking with coworkers!
We continue to make dua and InshaAllah it will stop soon BUT, so far, nothing.

My husband was hurt, seriously, at work, off work now, and needs back surgery ... I am disabled and have a muscle disorder so stress puts me in the hospital. I've had a migraine for over a month now.
It is truly straining our marriage. My husband is wonderful and NOTHING like her, nor is the rest of his family but the constant stress has worn us both down completely.

In Islam, I have been told, it is haram for my husband to cut all ties with his sister.

So now what???
I am so depressed at times, as is my husband. He just tells me, "what do you want me to do? She doesn't listen!"
I am at my wits end and so unhappy and fed up at times that I just want to go to sleep and not wake up again.
I am normally such a smiling, happy, overly caring person but after all she has done and said, especially about my dear parents ... I can't dream of being happy again. And she sees that she and the family have done absolutely nothing wrong so there's NO WAY she would apologize for what she's said or done!

Please, can someone advise what we can do???

Replies:
Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 12 December 2008 at 6:51pm
Salaams Hala,

There is a difference between cutting ties and actually being abused on a regular basis. I have never "cut ties" with my family, but my brother is an alcoholic and well, i rarely see him.

No noe should be at such a point that it is so mentally unhealthy for you and is affecting you o severely. Honestly, we cannot abuse not neglect family but that is different than a clear case of mental and emotional abuse.

Honestly, your husband's job is to protect you, his wife. Sorry there is nowhere that says this is allowed. He is your protector. Period. And he must side with you and limit interactions.. There is a level of behavior that is acceptable.

I would say that he should not tolerate that type of behavior in his home, your home.  It is about appropriateness. We as Muslims are not supposed to act the way she is towards you both. And you have the right to peace and harmony in your home and life. Sometimes one has to put your foot down. "If you speak like such and such we will leave,  (or you need to leave). I want to have a relationship with you but this is unIslamic and therefore I need to follow it." Say it calmly and with no anger. She gets anry, just walk away. Or don't respond. Just keep repeating it.  be kind but firm. We must be kind, but we are not to endorse unislamic behavior or attitudes.

Maybe someone is waiting for someone to take te lead, Iam sure others feel this way.

OR he and others in the family say it to her as a group. And they DON'T response with anything but that. Basically do not engage on their level. Its a refusal to participate. As long a you "engage" this behavior will continue.

Its like the child who gets attention for bad behavior.. and nothing for good.. guess what they do..the bad behavior. We can enable people to continue doing unhealthy activities.

Some other basic tips/ideas
-change the subject
-when she is around, read the Quran. Ask her to read it with you
-ask her to pray with you
-pray FOR her. Honestly, she semes really unhealthy and probably miserable.
-if she comes, be busy... is she invites, be busy
-get religious lectures on tape, when she comes, invite her to listen with you
-play recitiations of the Quran when she comes...

It may seem trite, but really, you need peace and she needs help!  You can improve your deen and maybe influence her.. if your husband cannot be so firm... these might be some tips.  If you are improving, by listening to Quran etc., best would be if she is influenced and that is up to Allah.

If you need recommendations for CDs I can send you some. Smile

I pray it goes well for you. Keep us updated..

Hayfa 

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: Hala1
Date Posted: 13 December 2008 at 6:00am
Clap Thank you so very much for all of the great advise. Your advise has been so much better than all i've been advised so far!
I will try what you have suggested. 
My husband is a wonderful man and attempts to protect me by telling his sister to just not speak of me, at all. He is so fed up with all the drama. And hurts him so because this is his sister. He said that he just never dreamed one of his sisters would EVER be same as she is!
InshaAllah things will get better soon. I will talk more when I have a bit more time.
Thanks again...I will continue to make dua daily.
Hala

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net