Print Page | Close Window

Today I became a Muslim! I think...

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1685
Printed Date: 06 October 2024 at 6:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Today I became a Muslim! I think...
Posted By: erotanes
Subject: Today I became a Muslim! I think...
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 7:20pm
About an hour ago I went online and was looking for some resources that I could travel to for some human assistance on the matter of Islam. I looked first online and came across the Muslim Community Mosque of Metropolitan Phoenix and called them on the telephone. A gentleman answered the phone and it was a bit hard to understand what he was saying because of the foggy telephone and his accent. I asked him if he knew of a place that I could to go study Islam and he told me all I needed to do was recite the shahada over the telephone and I am allowed to enter the womans section of the mosque. I listened closely to what he was saying because I had to repeat what he said in arabic. It was difficult because of the phone and I did not know if I was saying it correctly because I could not see him mouth. I thought I knew what the shahada is (There is no god but God, Muhammad is his prophet.). What I repeated over the telephone in arabic was much longer. Now I suppose I am going to the Mosque and I half to bring a sheet with me and they will give me something to cover my head with and they will teach me how to pray and help me. Well I am excited but I am scared. This is so new to me and I do not really know what to expect because I have never been in a Mosque before and I am so scared I will do something wrong or be disrespectful (without realizing it). I feel like I am doing the right thing. But at the same time I am frightened. I am also now thinking about my friends. Often times the things they say and do are bad things. Should I stay away from these people now?

Replies:
Posted By: Lehua
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:37pm

Masallah!!  Assalamu alaikum!

I am very happy for you.  The beginning is full of questions and discovery.  Don't worry about doing something wrong, the sisters you are with should know that you are new and learning.  In the beginning it can feel vey overwhelming, just remember the Koran was revealled over 23 years and you are only expected to do what you are capable of.  Allah(swt) knows what is in your heart and is Oft-Forgiving and Merciful.

In regards to your friends, begin with letting them know what is inapropriate behavior around you, i.e. lewd behavior, drinking, cursing, etc.  If they are a true friend they will respect your wishes and refrain from doing inapropriate things around you.  If you have to continue to remind them, distance yourself and let them come to you.  If they do not come, unfortunetly they were not as close as once presummed.  Insallah (God willing) your relationship with them will only become closer.  In my experiences, I have less total number of friends however the ones I do have are closer than most of my family (Muslim and Non-Muslim).

Lehua

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:51pm
I will do my best not to stress too much about it. I am just very shy arround new people which I am sure will make it that much more difficult for me. Thank you for your support!

Posted By: nadeem_aus
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:34pm

Congratulations Sister  Erotanes!  My advice, now that you have become a muslim is to take things slowly and learn little by little.  That way you will have a good understanding of the religion and its customs.

Posted By: ZEA J
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 10:05pm
congratulations sister.

-------------
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)

Posted By: J.R.
Date Posted: 30 July 2005 at 2:28am
ALLAHU AKBAR!! You're in my prayers and I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!
Insha Allah the mosque will soon feel like your home!!

-------------
Smile

Posted By: amna_ali
Date Posted: 30 July 2005 at 3:31am

Asslamualaikum

Alhumdolillah

We are so happy to have a new sister in Islam.Allahu Akbar. Inshallah Allah will help you to strengthen your faith.

May Allah shower His blessings unto you and may you be able steadfast in Islam.

La Illaha IllAllahu Muhammadu rasool Allah

Ma Salaam

-------------
Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. God is free of all wants and He is most forebearing. (Al baqra: 263)

Date Posted: 30 July 2005 at 7:13am
Thank you all so much for your kind words! I am really excited. But now that I am a Muslim I have many questions about the life I have been living up to this point. How am I to behave? Am I allowed to attend my yoga classes anymore? How do I dress now? Where do I buy clothes now?

Posted By: ummsaleh
Date Posted: 30 July 2005 at 7:47am

Masha�llah sister,

Take it slow, i am so happy for you; insha�llah god will make everything easy for you.

Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 30 July 2005 at 8:29am
Wonderful,May Allah bless you,Amin!!!...Congratulations!!!

Posted By: Saido
Date Posted: 30 July 2005 at 8:46pm

Asalamu Alaykum

Allah is the Greatest.Sister I understand that it is a bit scary to try something new but don't worry about being disrespectful or do somethimg wrong. Your Lord will not hold you to account that which you didn't know, forgot or was forced upon. Focus on Allah and not on the thoughts of people whether you make a mistake or not.

Sister behave the way the Prophet PBUH behaved becaused he has the most excellent behavior.I can't explain every detail about his behavior but if you have specific questions ask us.

I don't think that your yoga classes will be a problem as long as there are no men around.Obviously there are many questions on your mind. Iwould suggest you to buy "The Lawful and  Prohibited in Islam" by Dr. Yusuf Al-Qadarawi or go to ymofmd.com , click on Books go down to Islamic Laws and Jurispuridence and you'll see The Lawful and Prohibited.

Date Posted: 30 July 2005 at 10:04pm
Sister Erotanes, Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.  I concur with the viws posted early.  Do not be afraid and take it all slowly.

Posted By: Rose
Date Posted: 31 July 2005 at 9:01am

Salaam,

Alhamdulillah, I am very happy happy for you erotanes.

Take everything step by step, no one gets to thr top just by one step.

ALLAH the Most Generous.

-------------
A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom

Posted By: Henna
Date Posted: 31 July 2005 at 3:25pm
Dear sister,
i have some tears in my eyes:)
Mashallah:)

Did you go to mosque? If so, i hope everything was great:)

Date Posted: 05 August 2005 at 9:18pm
Sister, remember to dress appropriately too!

Posted By: AhmadJoyia
Date Posted: 11 August 2005 at 10:34am

Well, sis Erotanes, May Allah accept your good intentions of accepting Islam. At this juncture of your life, I would always suggest that you keep a strong relation with Quran. Though importance of all rituals at their own place, but it is your own conviction of finding the right path to your ultimate truth that shall govern all your motivation to accomplish anything which seems challanging in the begining. By this time, you must have realized that there is nothing to be afraid of while visiting the Mosque. Whatever you do over there through sincereity, even through your unawareness of the norms, should not make you embarrasing, at all. After all, there would all be humans like you. Secondly, no one can expect the new comer to know everything, hence you would find many new friends in the mosque who shall be willing to teach you whatever you need. I pray for your success in your new future. Amin. 

Posted By: Israfil
Date Posted: 11 August 2005 at 11:25am

I am proud to say to you As'Salaamu alaikum sister

but the one thing I had to question prior to your conversion was your saying:

"I asked him if he knew of a place that I could to go study Islam and he told me all I needed to do was recite the shahada over the telephone and I am allowed to enter the womans section of the mosque."

Did he say before you can study Islam you had to convert? Or did he even answer any of your questions? Was he attentive to your needs in your curiousity of Islam? You kind of left of some parts and that paragraph kinda drew my attention.

I'm not trying to burts any bubbles here but the last thing I want is someone who is curious of Islam have to convert to Islam with some concerns. Sure, everyone here is happy but again we must be clear on something. A religious institution regardless how noble it sounds still is foreign to us especially if we lack knowledge about it. No person, no Muslim especially has any right to say "You cannot come here unless you are Muslim." Part of our Dawah is to be open to people. I hope I am sister in what I'm conveying here but it kinda sounded like forced conversion. I too am an older revert and it took me almost 2 years to really come to Islam. Even though I believed spiritually in its context I want to wholeheartedly except the truth. The reasons why Islam has lost converts is because people do not come into Islam wholeheartedly but weak in spirit. I hope you can elaborate more sister.

Posted By: Meedo
Date Posted: 13 August 2005 at 10:52am

I totally agree with Israfil. This was totally unethical from the employee of the Mosque.

Sister let nobody force you on anything. The prophet PBUH said in an Authenticated Hadeeth " Whatever was taken by the sword of shyness is unlawful"

That means that Nobody can embaraqsse you or force you into any situation or into giving him anything you arent sure about .

Weather you are a muslim or not we love you in Allah and we will always be true to you and be your friends.

May You always have happiness and love and peace and tranquility.

Your brother half way acros the Globe

Meedo

-------------
Meedo

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net