Print Page | Close Window

Sunnah?

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2134
Printed Date: 06 October 2024 at 6:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sunnah?
Posted By: christainwoman
Subject: Sunnah?
Date Posted: 31 August 2005 at 1:42pm
I have a question that may seem a little strange. What is Sunnah??? I just keep hearing abou this and I donno even know what it is!!!! Please help!
Taryn

Replies:
Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 31 August 2005 at 2:37pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Hello Taryn,

In arabic, sunnah literally means "the way". The sunnah of prophet (SAW) therefore means his (saw) ways. How he dealt with various things, how he lead his life etc.

I hope this helps.

Peace,

Nausheen

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 31 August 2005 at 2:41pm

Sunna, plural. sunan: "Road" or "practice (s)." Standard practice, primarily of the Prophet sallAllahu `alayhi wa-Alihi wa-Sallam, including his sayings, deeds, tacit approvals or disapprovals.

As explained on http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=146&CATE=24 - sunnipath.com

Peace.

-------------

[/COLOR]

Posted By: queenie
Date Posted: 01 September 2005 at 7:22am

my understanding of sunnah is somthing that the prophet (saw) either 1. somthing he said or 2.instructed us to do or 3. an action that he carried out himself. It is a duty for muslims men and women to act in accordance with the sunnah if they wish to please Allah. So for example it is a sunnah for men to use a Siwaak (that stick thing) to clean your teeth with. I'm sorry I don't know what it is called in english. This is somthing that the prophet (pbuh) practised and we as muslims should practise. Another example is the growing of the beard. The prophet grew his beard, so it is a sunnah (somthing the muslim men should do) , However in this case he also advised on the lenghth to grow it and spoke in detail about it. Therefore this sunnah becomes an what is known as a "sunnah-wajib". The word wajib now implies that it is compulsory for men to grow their beards, and not doing so is sinful. SO BROTHERS WITHOUT BEARDS READING THIS, who shouldn't be !!!!!!!!! There are some sunnahs that are categorised in islam as being obligatory. What makes them obligatory is the fact that not only did the prophet pbuh carry the act out, but he also instructed muslims to do so. Its quite interesting to study and see how many muslims do not understand the concept of the sunnah. They refrain from certain sunnahs claiming that "its only a sunnah" and "its not obligatory". That may be so, but why would one who claims to be a true believer want to carry out the acts of sunnah. Such acts can lead us to paradise and many of us are fools who fail to see this. Also it is a sin to hate a sunnah from the heart . For example hating the siwaak can lead you to hell.

Posted By: MayPB
Date Posted: 02 September 2005 at 3:08pm

This is sunnah, the things that Muhammed did and said, but at the same time people need not feel obligated to follow this to be a good muslim. Granted his actions took place 1400 years ago we must be reasonable. I.E. It is "Sunnah" to breastfeed for two years. It was commen back then and healthy, it's also the best thing now for children in impoverished countries, but if you live in Western society we have alternatives and aren't obligated to breastfeed that long by neccesity. also in example, there is a "sunnah" saying that all health concerns can be cured with honey, we know that this is not true and must take heed of the medical technology available. I think generally Muslims must be tolerant of those who do not choose to consider
"sunnah" in their daily life. This is not the importand part of being a good muslim.

Date Posted: 02 September 2005 at 5:33pm

Originally posted by MayPB MayPB wrote:

but if you live in Western society we have alternatives and aren't obligated to breastfeed that long by neccesity. ...

Vow!. Are u a mom, or just talking about what you may have read in a magazine or heard from someone?

Breast Milk is the best nurishment for a baby for at least six months and at the most for 2 years. It helps develop the baby's immune system within the first six month, which no other diet can supplement. Plus, breast feeding is the best thing for the mom as well. If you want to continue to be weighty and shabby after the delivery, or want to spend hundreds of dollars on fitness gyms etc, then it is a different matter altogether.

As for you other comment on "its only sunnah" so "take it easy" comment, insha allah I will get back to you.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 02 September 2005 at 6:18pm

I.E. It is "Sunnah" to breastfeed for two years. It was commen back then and healthy,

Girl, where are you living??

It was common back then?? hey honey it still is  

Quote it's also the best thing now for children in impoverished countries,

It's the best thing everywhere  Not to say that formula is not good, or cows milk when the child can handled it.

Quote but if you live in Western society we have alternatives and aren't obligated to breastfeed that long by neccesity.

It's not I don't believe its obligated in islam either, some mothers do run out of milk earlier. I would say its recommended but not obligated for the reason I mentioned just above.

May I ask where you get that statement from "if you live in western society......"

Obligation or necessity doesn't play a part really although the same message everywhere is; its recommended because it does strengthens and bulids the immune system, its the choice of the mother and whether the milk supply runs out. And if you live in an impoverished country or living the islamic sunnah of the Prophet, don't you think there would be alternatives also there, if your milk runs out or a mother decides to stop breastfeeding before 2 years of age?

here's another question, what if the mother cannot breastfeed for some reason? which does happen.

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 02 September 2005 at 9:14pm

This is sunnah, the things that Muhammed did and said, but at the same time people need not feel obligated to follow this to be a good muslim. Granted his actions took place 1400 years ago we must be reasonable. 

I think generally Muslims must be tolerant of those who do not choose to consider  "sunnah" in their daily life. This is not the importand part of being a good muslim.

Reasonability outside the commandments of Islam bears little meaning for the soul of a muslim.

My question to you, are you a Muslim? Or planning to revert?

If you are muslim, have you been studying the fiqh and the sharia? What books and what scholars have you followed so far?

The Quran commands us to follow the instructions in it. It says a muslim is required to follow what Allah and His messenger tell the believers.

This means, the good pleasure of Allah lies in following the messneger, ie following the sunnah, with the intention to please Allah and earn his barakah.

I agree that sunnah is not an obligation, on all occasions. However the sunnah are of two types

a) Emphasised sunnah or sunnah muakkada - missing these is blameworthy - these sunnah are the practices our prophet(SAW) never left out in his daily life. The sahaba observed these almost as close a command as an obligation.

b) recommended sunnah or mandub- these are the practices he(SAW) did sometimes and left on other occasions. There is no blame if one misses these on certain occasions. However, if one makes a habit to miss these, it becomes blameworthy.

To be a good muslim one needs to follow two things - commands of Allah, and the practices of the messenger. Leaving out either of the two introduces a deficiency in the conduct of a "good muslim".

The Prophet�s role was expounded in the Qur�an, �We have revealed the Remembrance [Qur�an] to you that you may explain to people that which was revealed for them.� (16: 44)         

This explanation was through the Prophet�s words, actions, and example.

Following the guidance and the example of the Prophet was made obligatory, �O you who  believe, obey God and obey the Messenger,� (4: 59) and,

Verily, in the Messenger of God you have a beautiful example for those who seek God and the Last Day,  and

remember God much.�

The Prophet (pbuh) himself instructed, �I have left two things with you which if you hold on to, you shall not be misguided: the Book of God and my example.� [Reported by Hakim and Malik]

Peace,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Posted By: Alwardah
Date Posted: 03 September 2005 at 6:54am

As Salamu Alaikum

Masha Allah - a very informative response Sister Nausheen.

Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala tells us in the Glorious Qur'an to establish Salah, pay Zakat, fast in Ramadan and perform Haj. It is the Sunnah of the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) that explains to us how these acts are done. This is the compulsory Sunnah. If we leave these sunnahs out our acts are invalid. For example we cannot pray Salatul-Maghrib as two or four Rak'at (units) because the Fardh of Salatul-Maghrib is three Rak'at .

On the other hand the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) loved to use the siwak (miswak). Insha Allah if we prefer not to use it, we are not committing a sin, and will not be punished. But we will be greatly rewarded if we do follow the Sunnah and use the siwak instead of the normal toothbrush. Who doesn't need the rewards and blessings of Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala. The only way to get closer to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala and His Presence is by practicing as much of the non-compulsory Sunnah as we possibly can.

Wa Alaikum Salam 

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net