Print Page | Close Window

eye brows

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2283
Printed Date: 20 September 2024 at 8:22pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: eye brows
Posted By: aminah
Subject: eye brows
Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 3:14am

Salam

Just wanted to remind us not to shave our eye brows its not permissible i noticed its common among alot of sisters in my country dont know about others.

Masalam

aminah

Replies:
Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 4:49am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

From sunnipath.com, this is the legal opnion of the hanafi madhhab and it is similar in the Shafii also.

Eyebrow & Hair Removal 
Answered by Shaykh Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf Mangera

Eyebrow and hair removal.

Assalamu alaykum

In the name of Allah the Inspirer of truth.

The issue of removing hair from around the eyebrows has become a very popular issue and one which many people seem to be very confused about. What makes it more difficult is that in vogue today [especially in non-Muslim circles] is one of thinning the eyebrows and shaping them. Hence, this poses a great fitna for many of our Muslim sisters.

Even those who have perfectly formed eyebrows sometimes feel that they are out of shape and look upon themselves as being ugly. Then they begin the exercise of shaping, bleaching, and thinning them out.

The Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wasallam said:

Allah has cursed those women who modify their eyebrows or ask others to do it for them (Sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim).

As we can see the warning from the Prophet Sallalllahu alayhi wasallam is a very strong one. This is why great scholars like Ibn Hajar al-'Asqalani, Tabari, Nawawi, among others have actually prohibited any kind of modification to the eyebrows, even removing hair from in between linked eye-brows. Tabari has considered it to be changing the creation of Allah.

However, they have permitted the removal of hair for women from the chin and above the upper lip (if a beard or a moustache develops), since this is to avoid resembling men.

We learn from this that it is not permissible for women to remove any hair from the eyebrows for the sake of just beautifying themselves. However, it would be permissible for a women to remove the hair from above the nose (if the eyebrows have become linked) as this is considered not-normal. It may also be considered permitted to clip off one or two stray hairs from around the eyebrows or for very bushy eyebrows to be reduced to normal size and moderation. This type of concession (i.e. to remove hair for the sake of eliminating a defective appearance) can be found in the following:

Ibn 'Abidin al-Shami writes in his commentary on the al-Durr al-Mukhtar concerning the prohibition of plucking hair from the face:

It is possible that the prohibition mentioned [in the hadith] is if this is done for the sake of beautifying oneself for the sake of strangers, otherwise, if she has some hair on her face which causes abhorrence in her husband, then the prohibition of removing such hair seems to be far-fetched. This is because [self-] beautification for women is recommended for the sake of chastity.� It states in the Tabyin al-Maharim that removing facial hair is unlawful, unless a beard or moustache grows on a women, in which case it will not be unlawful to remove it, but would actually be recommended. It is related in the Tatarkhaniyya from al-Mudmarat that there is no objection in removing the hair from eyebrows and face so long as it does not cause one to resemble a effeminate. The same is mentioned in the Mujtaba (Radd al-Muhtar 5:239).

There is also the following from the Fatawa Hindiyya:

And there is no objection to take the hair of eyebrows and face so long as it  is not effeminate (Fatawa Hindiyya pg 23/4).

Also, one of the great jurists of the twenty first century Mufti Rashid Ahmad Ludhyanwi issued the following fatwa:

[...] however, if the eyebrows have become so dense that it is unseemly for a woman and incites abhorrence in her husband, it is permissible to trim it to a more appropriate and normal size (Ahsan al-Fatawa Vol.8 pg.76; Zakariyya Book Depot).

Taking the hadith and the various statements of the Hanafi jurists into consideration the following could be concluded:

1. It would be permitted for a women to remove a beard or a moustache that appears on her face. Even though it is facial hair, but since it is to stop women from resembling men, it is permitted. This is the opinion of the majority of scholars, in fact they have said it is recommended, not just permitted. The same will be to bleach this hair instead.

2. If the eyebrows are linked in between, it would be permissible to remove the excess hair from in between to separate them [i.e. the hair above the nose]. The reason for this is that linked eyebrows are looked upon as a defect, hence it would be permissible to remove it.

3. A 'few' stray hairs around the eyebrows would be permissible to remove by clipping them off, if it looks defective, or for married women creates abhorrence in their husband. This does not mean it is permitted to remove a whole line or two of fine hair from around the eyebrows [as is the nowadays].

4. Dense bushy eyebrows may be trimmed down to a more normal size. However, one must exercise great caution in this regard, since one does not want it to fall under the warning of the hadith. If one is not sure how to determine the normal size they should not act on the benefit of the doubt, but rather follow the more cautionary approach and trim less. What so called 'regular' [especially non-Muslim] people consider nowadays as the norm i.e. eyebrows that are shaped in particular unnaturals or reduced to thin lines can not be considered as acceptable in Islamic law due to the severity of the hadith.

5. Great caution has to be exercised in this regard, since the hadith is very strict and there are some Hanafi scholars who have taken more strict position. For instance, Mullah Ali al-Qari (R.A) comments [relating from Imam Nawawi] that plucking of the facial hair is haram (unlawful) for a woman with the exception of moustache or beard hairs (Mirqat al-Mafatih 8:218). The concessions mentioned above are for the removal of a defective appearance and not for purely beautification purpose, hence, caution in this matters is the way.

And Allah knows best.

Abdurrahman Ibn Yusuf

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 21 September 2005 at 9:40am

Bismillah,

Love and Peace to y'all.  I strongly feel that anyone who plucks, shaves, peels et cetera, their eyebrows IS NOT GOING TO HELL FOR IT! (Please, please just think deductivelly, logically about such a threat for such a small thing.  Why can we remove the hair from the rest of our bodies then?)

We live in a world where people are piercing every unconceivable part of their bodies, and this is occupying your time, thoughts, and energy???

When Our Merciful Lord created us, He said:  I promise you that my Mercy is Greater than my Wrath.

Now, could we focus on piety and spirituality and forgiveness of our friends' little quirks and things like that?

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 21 September 2005 at 9:47pm
Herijad, I agree with you!!!

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Posted By: Brother123
Date Posted: 24 September 2005 at 1:44pm

Any one who pluck, shaves their eye brows has been cursed. To many people making what is haram as halal and we have been warned that these people will come one day by the Prophet (peace be upon it). pity they had to come in our age....

shaytaan (satan ) is the biggest enemy for mankind and he is determined to mislead people away from obeying Allah and persuade people to do what Allah has forbidden them to do. One of these things is that shaytaan will try to get humans to change the nature of creation.

Allaah tells us about the plots of  shaytaan  in the following verse: 

�They (all those who worship others than Allaah) invoke nothing but female deities besides Him (Allaah), and they invoke nothing but shaytaan (Satan), a persistent rebel!

Allaah cursed him. And he [shaytaan (Satan)] said: �I will take an appointed portion of your slaves.

Verily, I will mislead them, and surely, I will arouse in them false desires; and certainly, I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah.� And whoever takes shaytaan (Satan) as a Wali (protector or helper) instead of Allaah, has surely, suffered a manifest loss�

[al-Nisa� 4:117-119] 

It was narrated that �Abd-Allaah said: �Allaah has cursed the women who do tattoos and those who ask for tattoos to be done, those who ask for their eyebrows to be plucked, and the women ask for their teeth to be filed for the purpose of beautification, changing the creation of Allaah.� A woman from the tribe of Bani Asad whose name was Umm Ya�qoob heard of that and she came and said, �I have heard that you have cursed So and so and So and so.� He said, �Why should I not curse those whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed and who are mentioned in the Book of Allaah?� She said, �I have read what is between the two covers [of the Qur�aan], and I did not find anything in it like what you have said.� He said, �If you have read it, have you not read that Allaah says,  

�And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it)�

[al-Hashr 59:7]?� 

She said, �Of course.� He said, �He forbade that.� She said, �I think your wife does it.� He said, �Go and look.� So she went and looked and she did not see what she was looking for. He said, �If she had been like that, she would not be with us.�  

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4604; Muslim, 2125 

Al-Bukhaari (5931) and Muslim (2125) narrated that �Abd-Allaah ibn Mas�ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: �May Allaah curse the women who do tattoos and those who have them done, those who have their eyebrows plucked, and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and change the creation of Allaah.� Then �Abd-Allaah said: �Why should I not curse those whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed.�

The mutanammisah is the one who asks another to pluck her eyebrows, and the naamisah is the one who does it. Al-nimaas means removing the hair of the face with tweezers. It was said that the word nimaas refers specifically to removing hair from the eyebrows in order to reduce them or make them straight. Abu Dawood said in al-Sunan: al-naamisah is the one who plucks the eyebrows in order to reduce them. 

rest of article...

http://www.shariahway.com/cosmetics/plucking_eyebrows.htm - http://www.shariahway.com/cosmetics/plucking_eyebrows.htm

Date Posted: 24 September 2005 at 10:48pm
I think there is clearly a difference between plucking the stray hairs that grow above or below your brows and thinning and shaping your brows. There is a difference between keeping yourself looking neat and trying to thin and arch the brows to take on a more modern or european look which I think is wrong. Women should not allways try to change thier appearance to look more western, like dying the hair blond as well. 

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 5:35pm

Bismillah,

Jenni.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 04 October 2005 at 2:43pm
Herijad!!!

-------------

Posted By: ummyasmeen
Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 12:24pm

As salaamu alaykum,

I believe that is the problem with so many muslims trying to justify who and why someone will go to the hell fire when it clearly says cursed are the women who pluck their eyebrows or adds hair into her hair. Remember Prophet Mohammed Sallawho Alayhe wa salaam said he seen the hell fire and most of the dwellers were women because of their tongues

Umm yasmeen

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 3:43pm

Bismillah,

Um Yasmeen, there is no problem.  You see things your way, and we see things our way.  Yet we are all Muslims who love the pillars of Islaam and our prophets from Adam AWS to Muhammad pbuh.

There is no compulsion in religion.  We have a common love.  Let's emphasize that while we share our ideas, motivations, opinions, and realities.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 8:03pm

As salaamu alaykum

I have found some proofs on this subject insha allah it may be as so to clear up any Opinions and thoughts

Question :

I have come across various Islamic articles & write-ups that have spoken against shaving of hair on eyebrows amongst other areas of the body. I however need clarification on this does this shaving refer to TOTAL shaving? Am I allowed to reduce the amount of hair by mere shaping ? I have very bushy eyebrows that need trimming as it makes my face look crowded.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.  

We will quote for you the fatwas issued by the scholars concerning the ruling on removing hair from the eyebrows and hair from the rest of the body. 

Shaykh Ibn �Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: �If removing hair from the eyebrows is done by plucking, this is namas (plucking the eyebrows) and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the naamisah (the woman who plucks eyebrows) and the mutanammisah (the woman who has her eyebrows plucked). This is a major sin, and women are singled out in this ruling because they are the ones who usually do this, for the purpose of beautification, but if a man were to do it he would also be cursed, just as a woman is cursed for doing this, Allaah forbid. 

If hair is removed from the eyebrows by a method other than plucking, such as by cutting or shaving, some of the scholars regard this as being the same as plucking, because it is changing the creation of Allaah, so there is no difference between plucking, cutting or shaving. This is undoubtedly more on the safe side, so a person must avoid that, whether man or woman.� 

(Quoted from Fataawa �Ulama� al-Balad al-Haraam, p. 577) 

The following question was mentioned in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa�imah (5/196): 

A young woman has very thick eyebrows that make her look bad. This girl was forced to shave part of the area between the eyebrows and to reduce the rest so that she will look acceptable to her husband. 

The Committee replied: 

�It is not permissible to shave the eyebrows or reduce then, because that is the namas (plucking) for which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it and the one who asks for it to be done. What you must do is repent and pray for forgiveness for what you have done in the past, and beware of that in the future. 

Another question (5/195) was put to the Committee: 

Namas means removing some of the hair of the eyebrows, and is not permitted, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the woman who plucks her eyebrows and the one who has that done, but it is permissible for a woman to remove a beard or moustache, if one grows, or hair from her legs or arms.� 

The hadeeth which says that the woman who plucks the eyebrows or who has that done is cursed was narrated by al-Bukhaari (4886) and Muslim (2125), from the hadeeth of �Abd-Allaah ibn Mas�ood (may Allaah be pleased with him). 

The point is that it is haraam to remove any hair from the eyebrows, whether all the hair is removed by shaving, or some of it is removed by cutting. Anything apart from that is permissible, such as removing hair from the arms and legs, and the area between the eyebrows. The following appeared in Fataawa al-Lajnah (5/197): 

Question: What is the ruling on plucking the hair between the eyebrows? 

Answer: It is permissible to pluck it, because it is not part of the eyebrows. 

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Posted By: MayPB
Date Posted: 13 October 2005 at 5:50pm

If you are trying to follow a "sunnah" path and see someone who might be in error, by your definition, why not just be polite and not say anything, I think remarks about hair plucking, nail polish and beard length is cloddish.

Date Posted: 13 October 2005 at 7:28pm

As salaamu alaykum

It is not by my definition it is that of the prophet Mohammed (saw) and as far as correcting or saying I shouldnt say something

Question :

What is the ruling on a case when, if you tell a man or a woman, �What you are doing is haraam� � such as telling a woman not to wear short clothes, or telling a man not to smoke cigarettes � they reply by saying that everyone does that, or that all the women in our country dress this way?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah. 

The response that you describe is wrong, and the people�s evil actions cannot be justified. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

And if you obey most of those on the earth, they will mislead you far away from Allaah�s path� [al-An�aam 6:116]

Rulings on what is halaal and what is haraam are taken from the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), not from what people do, because people may be wrong or they may be right.

I dont make the rules I only hear and obey insha allah.

Umm Yasmeen

Date Posted: 14 October 2005 at 6:01am

Bismillah,

The least of charity is a smile!

We should be respectful of each other's differences.  If you know someone who wants to follow a certain school of thought and they would appreciate learning that way, then that's a great idea to tell them. 

When people constantly told me not to do this or that when I just wanted to go to the Mosque and pray with my fellow Muslimah, I didn't want to go there much anymore.  I found kind Muslimahs and went to their houses to meet and pray instead.

I know sisters who are driven away from the Mosque by people, who have many of their own faults, insist on telling them the same things over and over again.  Let's use discretion and love and lots of smiles when we talk to each other.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 October 2005 at 6:23am

As salaamu alaykum

I agree with you I see sisters all the time who should be corrected but when it comes time to just say well its a new day and era or etc then thats when I disagree..there are many schools of thoughts out there but the main is Quran and sunnah. I know when I became muslim I like the fact that people corrected me because I truly did not know and I think that is the hikmah behind to inform the uninformed but when you have done that once and they choose to ignore it then thats between them and their rabb insha allah

Aisha umm yasmeen

-------------

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 14 October 2005 at 11:09am

There is a difference between helping and educating and bashing people over the head with something again and again...

And all helping should be done with grace and humility.... 

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: aminah
Date Posted: 18 October 2005 at 7:09am

Salam

Ramadan Mubarak may Allah forgive us all our sins and admit us into paradise.

We are brothers and sisters in Islam we are all suppose to remind ourselves to be better muslims and share information with each other.

The Holy Quran is a reminder from Allah may He guide us unto the right path.

Remember to feed the fasting person if you are able there is great reward in it.

Masalam

Posted By: sinful servant
Date Posted: 19 October 2005 at 3:39am

as salaam mu alaikum

before i start i would like to first explain why i chose this nickname.sinful servant is quite a controversial one..i chose it because we are all sinners although we try and do the bnest we can to stay away from shaytaan we are still all sinners...this nickname doesnt portray me as an individual but rather all of us who are trying to do the right thing in Allah;s eyes.may Allah shower us with his Mercy and Forgive us our shortcomings

i'd like to quote herjihaad when she said there is no compulsuion in islam...you are right that the Holy Qura'an states this,,,but that is for the non believers..that we do not force our religion  on them,,,however once u become muslim then the compulsion of doing what is right and keeping away from waht is wrong..comes into play...just a small thing i would like to bring to your attention.

Posted By: soulsearching
Date Posted: 30 October 2005 at 10:57am

how strange then that eyebrow shaping is so common in arabic culture..nowadays at least.

also something confuses me..from an earlier post..

"Ibn Hajar al-'Asqalani, Tabari, Nawawi, among others have actually prohibited any kind of modification to the eyebrows, even removing hair from in between linked eye-brows. Tabari has considered it to be changing the creation of Allah."

"However, they have permitted the removal of hair for women from the chin and above the upper lip (if a beard or a moustache develops), since this is to avoid resembling men."

but a woman who naturally has a moustache was created this way by Allah. So question is why would Allah create her in  a way that would displease him and presumably her husband.

I thought the idea of accepting Allahs creations as they are to be quite wonderful..where does all this "normal/abnormal" stuff come into it..is it in the Quran?

Posted By: sinful servant
Date Posted: 01 November 2005 at 3:08am

the reason thatwe are allowed to get rid of hair on the cheeks or chinis because for a women that is not NORMAL.it may disfigure her face and, if she is married then her husband might want her to remove it.it IS Allah's creation that the hair gotthere...but somtimes it is also a result of nasty side effects for example...Oral contraceptives lead to facial hair growth for women.

its like a woman with a beard,Allah mighthave put the hair there but its not NORMAL for a woman to have that much facial hair.

the thing here is about changing the SHAPE of your eye brows.because that is changing somthing that women(all humankinD)are SUPPOSE to have!

hope i havent confused you.if u want ...go to islam-online.net and type in fatwa on eyebrows or even the site here on islamicity and you can see what comes up!

may Allah be pleased with us all

Date Posted: 01 November 2005 at 5:15am

Bismillah,

I agree with soulsearchings interesting observation.  Who says facial hair or single eyebrows aren't feminine?  When did this idea come about?

Of course, your point SS about drug interactions is valid.  But all of this work that women have to perform just to be acceptable to men is quite possibly, well, frivilous!  Allah, SWT, did make us with hair!

-------------

Posted By: soulsearching
Date Posted: 09 November 2005 at 9:30am
Originally posted by sinful servant sinful servant wrote:

its like a woman with a beard,Allah mighthave put the hair there but its not NORMAL for a woman to have that much facial hair.

where does Allah say that? and if it is required to NOT have hair on your face to be good, then is Allah testing a person by giving them abnormalities?

it is not NORMAL to be increadibly disfigured, like people who are born with a cleft palatte or a missing limb but does that mean it is required of them to try to look "normal". surely we can respect Allahs creation by being as clean and healthy as possible not by shaming those who were created different-looking.

since when was islam so obsessed about finding husbands?

Date Posted: 09 November 2005 at 11:28am

Bismillah,

There is an old wives tale I heard that marriage is blissful!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net