Print Page | Close Window

Aromatherapy

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3073
Printed Date: 06 October 2024 at 6:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Aromatherapy
Posted By: hakeema
Subject: Aromatherapy
Date Posted: 22 November 2005 at 10:53am

As-Salaam Alaikum sister,

I am taking a aromatherapy class.  I am learning a lot stuff I thought I may share with you.  If you don't know what aromatherapy is, here is a website you can look at http://www.aromaweb.com - www.aromaweb.com .  It has a lot of information on it.  I took the class to increase my knowlegde because sometimes I use aromatherapy oils. Plus I like to learn about health stuff.  For colds I take some peppermint and eucalyptus oils, rub it on my neck and chest to open my nasal passages.  My husband felt sick to his stomach one morning and I told him to sniff some peppermint oil and one minute later he felt better.  I use lemon oil while I am cleaning dishes because it has good antiseptic properties.  In the books that I am reading they have a lot recipes to treat PMS, anxiety, sprained ankles etc.  I will share at a later time. I haven't gotten that far yet.  Here are some oils I learned so far.

Lavender:  insect repellent, antidepressant, calming.  I take a bath every Sunday in Lavender oil because I can never go to sleep on sundays because I sleep in late on the weekends.  So Lavender helps me sleep.

Peppermint:  good of colds, good disgestive aid.

Tea Tree:  good to treat skin diseases such as ringworm, and athlete foot.  Has antifungal properties.

Hakeema

Replies:
Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 22 November 2005 at 10:59am

Assalamu alaikum Sister Hakeema,

There is no doubt that our sense of smell can be a useful and powerful thing.  I cannot smell orange soda pop without thinking about my maternal grandmother (who always gave us vanilla ice cream and orange pop floats for a treat!).

I saw a piece on the television, not too long ago, that showed how merchandisers have tapped into this aroma thing.  They have been experimenting with putting out different smells in their stores to encourage people to buy more!!!  Talk about using something good for an evil cause!

They also said the smell of bananas can help us eat less - doesn't work for me though, I like food too much .

Hope you enjoy your "smelly" classes!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 22 November 2005 at 6:27pm
I like aromatherapy, and I have suggested a couple of times use it to life up your spirits if you feel down and depressed. But there also needs to be caution with it to. Most especially if one is pregnant!

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 22 November 2005 at 6:29pm

Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

They have been experimenting with putting out different smells in their stores to encourage people to buy more!!!  Talk about using something good for an evil cause!

That stinks!

-------------

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 5:18am

Bismillah,

Thanks sister Hakeema!  Would you also share with us where we can get the things you mention, like at a regular grocer or a specialty store or online?

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 11:30am

As-Salaam Alaikum sisters,

It is best to get essentials from a organic food store, or a store that sells natural medicines.   The best essential oils that I know of is young living essentials their website is  http://www.youngliving.us - www.youngliving.us , Oshadhi essentials oils their website is http://www.oshadhiusa.com - www.oshadhiusa.com , Aura Cacia essential oils http://www.auracacia.com - www.auracacia.com .  These are companies that I have been told from aromatherapist, and massage therapist that they make good essentials.  I talk to people about different companies, because some companies say that their essentials oils are 100% essential oil but it is not.  They put different products in there such petroleum, and alcohol, I guess to make more. It like 20% essential oils and 80% alcohol or petroleum.  Personally I have used young living essentials oil, and aura cacia essentials oil I like them both no problems.  I know two aromatherapist who use Oshadhi products.  They don't have problems with it.  The two books I am reading are Aromatherapy Workbook by Marcel Lavabre, and The Complete book of essential oils and aromatherapy by Valerie Worwood.  They are excellent books, and they give a lot of recipes.  I can't wait to get to recipe part.  Also I am part of a aromatherapy club.  It was started by a R.N. and a acunpuncturist.  Once a month we get together talk and learn about essential oils.  It is fun.  If you want to learn about essentials oils just find out in your area where people have lectures.  That is how I started off.  You can check with local hospitals, and check with the health store etc. 

Hakeema

Date Posted: 24 November 2005 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by hakeema hakeema wrote:

They put different products in there such petroleum, and alcohol, I guess to make more. It like 20% essential oils and 80% alcohol or petroleum. 

Anybody that puts in 80% alcohol or petroleum is not practicing the art of aromatherapy.

There is alcohol used (which is the ethyl - perfume grade alcohol), in some products but it is removed in the second distilling process, leaving the absolutes.

"Absolutes are similar to essential oils and are used in aromatherapy. The difference is that where essential oils are created through a process of distillation absolutes are extracted with the use of chemical solvents."

In essential massage oils there is NO alcohol, it is only the essential oil and a carrier oil, which is vegetable based such as almond, grapeseed, olive, etc.

For candles the essential oil, either undiluted or diluted is a few drops sprinkled into the beeswax.

p.s: again aromatherapy needs to be careful in pregnacy and avoided in the first 3 months. Later in pregnacy and for baby the oils need to be more diluted than you would normally use. I strongly suggest to consult a qualified practioner, if you are unsure of anything.

And also in some medical conditions, some oils need to be avoided.

I love this little book: Secrets of Aromatherapy by Jennie Harding, 2001. ISBN: 07513 12045.

-------------

Posted By: IslamIsTheBest
Date Posted: 30 November 2005 at 10:44am

Sister hakeema,

Please continue to provide informative uses for different aromas.

I am very interested in this topic.  I met a woman who has a business and she mixes her own scents into bath salts, bees wax, and skin cream, etc...

I would like to know more if you have any other good things to share about this topic.  Also, I would like to know where I could buy some of these things for a better price.  Some of the aromas you talk about are 10-30$ for a small bottle.

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 30 November 2005 at 11:18am
I found the smell of essential oil of lemon to be very soothing when I was pregnant and very nauseated. I also liked organic essential oil of lavender when feeling restless and unable to sleep when pregnant, I was told to put one drop on a spoon with a little honey and take it in the mouth. It was really nice... Peace

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 30 November 2005 at 1:27pm

As-Salaam Alaikum sisters,

Islam, I will continue to provide more information about aromatherapy, and information about health overall.   I am in the healthcare field.  I am educating myself(and going back to college in January) to use the knowlegde I have gained to help people in the future.  So I will post some information about health from time to time.   Thanks to everyone for all of your feedback, and the experiences you had with aromatherapy oils.

Hakeema

Posted By: Alwardah
Date Posted: 30 November 2005 at 2:38pm

As Salamu Alaikum

I am a believer in Aromatherapy. I started using essential oils when I could not manage my constant migraine headaches.

I worked with a therapist who helped me decide which essentials oils will work for me.

After many trials, we found that a blend of Rosemary and Rose essential oils worked best for me.

At the start of an attack I apply the oils on the temples and then place a cold pack on my forehead. Alhamdulillah my in-take of medicines has now decreased by almost half.  In addition to this I drink rosemary or chamomile tea. (herbs infused in boiling water)

Lavender is great for people who cannot sleep. I normally put a few drops on the upper edge of the pillow before retiring.

Thanks Sis Hakeema for the links you posted.

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)

Date Posted: 03 December 2005 at 6:23am

You know what I do, buy aromatherapy soaps in smells I like and put them in my clothes draws they keep the clothes smelling nice and also keep the bugs away

Lavander is very good for keeping bugs away, you can make up little lavander bags and place them around or you can sprinkle the lavander in places like behind cupboards or wardrobes or draws were you can't normally get to. Or on bookshelves which you spinkle some at the back of shelves and keep those silverfish away

-------------

Posted By: Abby
Date Posted: 08 December 2005 at 11:52am
I love taking herbs.
I have tried almost everything for my acne and now alhamduallah I got rid of them
I tried a soap and a cream product that had melaleuca oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)in it, and it worked.
I think it is great because I tried so many things, I was almost going to give up.
http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/melaleuc.html#teatree - Melaleuca alternifolia
http://www.rmbarry.com/research/archives.html - Melaleuca information
GO NATURAL with everything (well almost everything )

-------------
http://spaces.msn.com/members/breeze57jathome/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net