Print Page | Close Window

abortion

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3320
Printed Date: 06 October 2024 at 1:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: abortion
Posted By: leen
Subject: abortion
Date Posted: 23 December 2005 at 7:08am

salam,

I have been married for 1 year 4 months,  and was seperated  for 1 week, recently (we have been back together for 2 weeks. now) I just found out I was pregnant it's 2-3 weeks, we are not a stable relationship we both are not happy, and thought we would give the realtionship one last try..............and now this. normally this would be a blessing but in this case I hate it, think it is only going to cause more problems.  When is a abortion o.k?  how soon can one be done with out taking a soul?

need some advice,

thank you

Replies:
Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 23 December 2005 at 7:42am

Leen,

Have you thought about adoption?  I personally suffer from infertility and though the child would be a burden on you and your spouse.  There are thousands of couples like my husband and I who would jump at the chance to raise the child.  I mean to be gentle in saying that life has already begun and abortion is really a hard subject for a number of people.  I understand cases of incest, rape and when the mother and infant will die.  But, if you cannot raise the child.  Please consider letting a woman who cannot have her own give your baby a loving home. 

Also, if you are worried about financial stress.  There are programs like Baby Your Baby and the Healthy Baby Initiative that can help you get Doctor's appointments and get help from places like WIC.  That's if you're in the United States.

There are other options.  Family adoption is another one.  Sisters, Cousins, etc. 

Pray to God for Guidance and see what you feel in your heart. 

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 23 December 2005 at 7:57am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Buismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum Leen,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am sorry to hear about your unstable relationship. May you be able to work it out with your husband, thru wisdom and understanding, insha allah.

Though abortion is permited under certain circumstances - ie when the mother's life is in danger, it should not be in your case. Better if you consult a scholar.

As to the second part of your question, one can abort the foetus before 3 months of gestation.

This is not to undermine Angela's beautiful proposal, but it would be better for both you and your husband to reconsider. Many times relationships get a new perspective with a new arrival

All the best!

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 23 December 2005 at 8:20am

My proposal was only to offer options if they cannot handle the baby Nausheen.

My fear is women too often think abortion is a quick and easy answer.  People never discuss the other options, especially here in the US for fear of "offending" someone who is Pro-Choice. 

They forget part of being Pro Choice is choosing to NOT have the abortion and so they fail to discuss what to do if you can't go through with it.

I hope the months of the pregnancy bring stability to the couple.

To quote a friend, since I do not have one of my own.  She says, "You never love your husband more than the day they put your child in your arms for the first time and you look into his face and see your husband's eyes."

Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 24 December 2005 at 11:16am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

click on the follwoing links
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=270&CATE=87 -
- When it is permitted to have an abortion

the following is from the view of a person adopting a child not giving him up but i thought it may be of interest.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=266&CATE=87 - - What is the fiqh of adopting a child?

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Posted By: Muslim Friend
Date Posted: 25 December 2005 at 11:01am

You are not allowed an abortion if its not threatening your life. Besides - i can only put this in one way - if you were unhappy - i would have thought contraception would have been a better preventative than considering abortion as a cure.

Its now your responsibility. I have no sympathy for you. Its something you should have thought through before.Sorry if i sound harsh.

-------------
O Allah! Bless Muhammad and let his be the place close to you on the day of Resurrection.

Posted By: candor
Date Posted: 25 December 2005 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Muslim Friend Muslim Friend wrote:

You are not allowed an abortion if its not threatening your life. Besides - i can only put this in one way - if you were unhappy - i would have thought contraception would have been a better preventative than considering abortion as a cure.

Its now your responsibility. I have no sympathy for you. Its something you should have thought through before.Sorry if i sound harsh.

Despite our differences, I liked your post the most in this thread. You will surely be/are a good mother.

-------------
Courage is not absence of fear.
Smoking is injurious to health.
Bigger is the gun, smaller is the brain.
Intelligence=Knowledge+Imagination.

Posted By: Amina16
Date Posted: 26 December 2005 at 10:21am
i believe that abortion is not an option.  last year in speech class we had to do a persuasive speech and i chose to do it on abortion.  When i was researching it i ran to a site that showed the babies after abortion.  it was so heartbreaking i cryed when i saw it.  why would anyone want to do this to a baby.  i mean when u were in ur mom's stumach i bet she never thought about getting rid of u.  So why than r u thinking of getting rid of ur unborn child.  How will ur child if u agree to have him or her feel when u told him/her that u considered getting rid of Him/her?  How would u feel if ur mom told u this?  

-------------
"Words have Power" ex: The Quran

Posted By: DavidC
Date Posted: 26 December 2005 at 10:46am
Rami - good link. I don't understand this hadith Raad al Muktar that is
cited. How does one look up the actual hadith referred to?

-------------
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 27 December 2005 at 7:58pm

You both maybe unstable when together, but when alone you are probably stable and I think that should count, and I don't think there is a need to get an abortion because both parties can't work things out.

You do not need two parents to bring up a child, altough it can help but its not necessary, I am from a single parent family and my mum did everything without a man around and I am quite perfectly fine  and of course there will be hardships but if you have family and friends, then it lessens it.  

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 28 December 2005 at 10:08pm

"The great Hanafi Faqeeh Ibn Abidin States in his Radd al-Muhtar"

Radd al Mutar is a work by the scholar Ibn Abidin.

If you require specicifc ahadith about the development of the feotus look up the subject from an "islam and science" perspective on the net. Although the interpretation of these works are not 100% they are relatively good and in this particular area much has been done.

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Date Posted: 29 December 2005 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Muslim Friend Muslim Friend wrote:

Its now your responsibiity. I have no sympathy for you. Its something you should have thought through before.Sorry if i sound harsh.

You should have sympathy.  She shouldn't have an abortion, but this young woman is in need of caring hearts and encouragement.  Where is your charitable spirit?  Instead of chastising her about her being with her husband, you should be helping her by encouraging her to be a good mother and wife.  Or at the very least to give the child life and a good home. 

I surely hope when it is you who are struggling with an unexpected occurance and turn for help there are more charitable and kind people to put a hand out to you.

Date Posted: 29 December 2005 at 1:52pm

I surely hope when it is you who are struggling with an unexpected occurance and turn for help there are more charitable and kind people to put a hand out to you.

Angela - i have been through this very situation - i am a single parent - but not for 1sec did i even contemplate an abortion. If this girl knew that her relationship was more than unlikely to last and they were already going through a small separtion - then do you not think that bringing a child into the world should be considered once you are comfortable in your relationship and know you can provide that child with a stable household??

What i meant and probably should have made more clear is - that i have no sympathy for someone who at the first hurdle considers a way out - But if she tried i bet she would make a great parent - it'll be hard but as long as you have a support system you'll be fine.

-------------
O Allah! Bless Muhammad and let his be the place close to you on the day of Resurrection.

Date Posted: 30 December 2005 at 2:28am

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

We are all different individiuals with different situations and potentials. 

Dear Muslim friend, we all go thru hardships in our lives, and face them in whatever way we are able to. When we see our fellow humans in a similar condition it should call for compassion and kindness extended from us.

Alhamdulillah, you had the wisdom and far sightedness to handle your situation more tactfully, which this sister is unable to. But we do not know pressures which she may be going thru.

when we do not know the reasons for a person's drawbacks, it is better not to convey our readings on them that may hurt.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 30 December 2005 at 9:16am
Well, all i can say is you are alot nicer and more patient than i am.

-------------

Posted By: MayPB
Date Posted: 02 January 2006 at 9:54pm

I disagree with whatever scholar said that abortion is permitted until 3 months. Life is present at conception and as Muslims we must protect innocent human life and the virtue of our lives as servants of God. I urge all sisters on this thread to stand up against abortion in all circumstances pertaining to "choice".  We are called to support the mother who suffers from a harsh situation and if necessary raise a child who is orphaned or adopted out (which is understandable in case of rape or incest) And those women who choose life in these excrutiating circumstances are todays unsung heros! Unmarried pregnant women find themselves in an irreversable situation which ultimately has no solution that feels ideal. The result of her "mistake" becomes her redeeming solution by adopting this child to a loving family with a mother and a father. These women are fulfilling their obligation of pregnancy by protecting the child in their womb and gaining alot of dawah for labor! Humbling themselves and accepting charity of a more stable family they choose the best life for the baby in hopes of a better future for others.

Peace

Date Posted: 03 January 2006 at 12:10pm

MayPB,

I couldn't say it better myself.  To bring the child into the world is a great duty given to us by God.  Its a sacred duty that belongs to women, and its one of the many things that Satan attacks to weaken the family and the spirits of people. 

I hope Leen, that you and your husband find peace before this child is born.  Perhaps the baby will give you both focus.  Just remember, there are options.

Recently My grandmother came to me to adopt a child to her sister's granddaughter.  The situation was not ideal for them either, but Brit has decided to keep her child and struggle through it.  I am very happy for them, but they know if it gets too much.  My home is open.  I hope like them, you and yours can find a way.

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 03 January 2006 at 5:34pm

Bismillah,

Dear Sister Leen,

There are a lot of important points and valuable information people have brought up and quoted for you and provided links.  There are a few things you need to consider personally:  How would you feel about yourself the week after, the month after, the year after, ten years after, if you have an abortion, or if you keep the child?  Abortion is physically and emotionally painful for many women.  The scars from that may hurt your life more than help it.  However, the truth is that some women can handle it.  And I don't know anything about those who have no trouble with having abortions.

I think abortion is a terrible birth control method and is a very evil way of oppressing women.  But Muslims disagree on this.  Some people have stated that it is clearly forbidden, but I know that I have read different points of view from different madhabs and others. 

My personal advice is not to do it.  The life you have been given is a beautiful gift, not a burden.  Please contact me and others here for support whatever you decide. 

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 03 January 2006 at 10:06pm

Herjihad,

It seems easy enough put like that "whatever you decide", this is not a whatever situation.

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:39am

Originally posted by MayPB MayPB wrote:

I disagree with whatever scholar said that abortion is permitted until 3 months. Life is present at conception and as Muslims we must protect innocent human life and the virtue of our lives as servants of God.

There isn't an unconditional okay for abortion within three months of gestation. Islam definetily protects human life, that  is why if a pregnant mother is at risk of her life, she has permission to abort the foetus - ie in a situation where either of the two lives is in danger, Islam is to protect that of the mother.  If the mother is at risk, it could possibly endanger the life of the foetus as well, to avoid all this, a mother is allowed to abort it, and wisely so.

Not denying the fact that life begins from the very moment of conception the "ruh" or the soul is sent down into it after three months. It is after this event that abortion is forbidden.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen 

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 7:36pm

Nausheen,

I did not use this scenario as  that abortion would be allowed

because it is so rare. Before abortions were legal in the United States 

a woman could have a legal abortion if her life was in danger. What

positive action has been acheived by pointing out when a child has a

soul? If we are pregnant we know we carry a baby, end of story. If

people argue about when this child is really a child and not merely a

"blood clot" or "bunch of cells" then we won't value the individual

rights of that unborn baby. 

MayPB

Date Posted: 05 January 2006 at 1:34pm

http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/fetaldevelopment/index - http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/fetaldevelopment/index

The baby is moving, with a beating heart by 7 weeks, two months...I hardly think the soul is absent until 3 months. 

The soul is a very part of creation itself. 

Date Posted: 05 January 2006 at 4:27pm

Bismillah,

Angela, the Holy Quran tells us that the soul is placed into the body at three months.  The body is a vessel for the soul to enter until then.

May, there are many different viewpoints that I have read of scholars opinions on this subject.  I have my viewpoint and I expressed it. 

It is important to me to let this Muslimah know that we are here for her whatver action she and her husband decide on.  The reality is that neither you nor I can stop them from their decision.  We can encourage them to preserve this wonderful gift of Allah, SWT, and to look at it as such. 

Life is a miracle.  We look for miracles in our lives.  How could we destroy a miracle purposefully?

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 11 January 2006 at 7:34pm

What verse exactly, to look it up -

thanks,

May

Date Posted: 12 January 2006 at 9:14am

Bismillah,

I did a search online.  Here are some relevant passages about fetal development.  However, I did not find the quote for the fact that Allah, SWT, puts our souls in the bodies of our mothers at three months of embryonic development.  These are all the results from a search for the word "clot".

If someone else knows where this is, please post it.

The Holy Qur'an speaks about "clot" in no less than 11 different places

1.In Surah AL-BAQARA chapter number 2 verse number 233
"And the mothers should suckle their children for two whole years for him who desires to make complete the time of suckling; and their maintenance and their clothing must be-- borne by the father according to usage; no soul shall have imposed upon it a duty but to the extent of its capacity; neither shall a mother be made to suffer harm on account of her child, nor a father on account of his child, and a similar duty (devolves) on the (father's) heir, but if both desire weaning by mutual consent and counsel, there is no blame on them, and if you wish to engage a wet-nurse for your children, there is no blame on you so long as you pay what you promised for according to usage; and be careful of (your duty to) Allah and know that Allah sees what you do. "
http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=2&surah_name=AL-BAQARA&ahya_number=233&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=2&surah_name=AL-BAQARA&ahya_number=259&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=4&surah_name=AN-NISA&ahya_number=5&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=5&surah_name=AL-MAEDA&ahya_number=89&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=22&surah_name=AL-HAJJ&ahya_number=5&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=22&surah_name=AL-HAJJ&ahya_number=63&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=23&surah_name=AL-MUMENOON&ahya_number=14&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=24&surah_name=AN-NOOR&ahya_number=58&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=40&surah_name=AL-GHAFIR&ahya_number=67&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=75&surah_name=AL-QIYAMA&ahya_number=38&quran_search=clot - http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/quranonline/surahs/redirect.php?surah_number=96&surah_name=AL-ALAQ&ahya_number=2&quran_search=clot -

-------------

Date Posted: 12 January 2006 at 10:02am

Allah in the Quran calls mankind an animal and at the same time he says what makes us above this is our soul.

Once the soul is put into the body then we are considered human and this is the islamic basis for the ruling. Please dont bring western notions of life into this they have no basis unless they agree with islam.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 January 2006 at 10:20am

Sorry Herjihad, Rami

But I have yet to see the verse in the Quran that says we don't get our souls until three months?

Where is the verse?

The divine spark creates life...God creates life...

So, show me the verse that says three months???  The ones in the previous posting say he creates us from a sperm drop.  That to me would mean conception...not three months later.

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:19pm
Has anyone discussed in this thread the option of good birth control. I am not talking about for unmarried people, but for married adults. Many pregnancies that are unwanted could be prevented with condoms, birthcontrol pills, or the I.U.D. And if a woman has health problems and does not want to get pregnant or she is depressed or otherwise emotianally unsound birht control would be a far cheaper and safer solution than an unwanted pregnancy. I think once you are to the point of being pregnant and you are two resposible married people you have to keep the baby(pregnancy) whether it is convienient for you or not and abortion is not an option Islamically.That is only my opinion and I agree with the school of thought that says abortion is not allowed except in extreme cases such as the life of the Mother is at risk or the woman became pregnant because of rape ect. A last option say if the marraige is very unstable, or thier may be a divorce is sending the baby to live with and be raised by another family member. Say a sister, or brother in law. An aunt maybe. And you could still be in the childs life as much as possible but not have the challenge of raising it alone. Peace

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:53pm

Bismillah,

That's a great point, Jenni.  After you have the baby, ISA, Leen, then you must use an excellent birth control method to avoid this situation if you need to.

Angela, no.  That's the best search I can do for now.  ISA, it will come to me.  It is definitely in the Tafsir of the Holy Quran subscribed to by many Muslims, but where it is... don't know.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2006 at 12:06am

The fatwah clearly states the soul enters the body after 120 days,

The great Hanafi Faqeeh Ibn Abidin States in his Radd al-Muhtar:

�The soul enters the foutus at one hundred & twenty days (4 months), as established by the Hadith� (Radd al-Muhtar, 1/202)

Ibn Abidin (Allah have Mercy on him) also states the prohibition of this gruesome act in his treatise �Radd al-Muhtar�:

�If a woman intends to abort her pregnancy, then the Fuqaha have said: If the period of the soul being blown into the foetus has elapsed, it will be impermissible� (Radd al-Muhtar, 5/276).

This is enough to proove the islamic position, if you would like to read the hadith for your self you will have to wait for herjihad to provide it.

you have to diferentiate between what life form exists beffore the soul enters the body and after it enters it. In this the Islamic position is diferent than that of western one.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2006 at 9:38am

So, its just Fatwas???  No word from the Prophet and no verses in the Quran???  I see.

Rami, you might not like it, but there are a few, just a few things in the West that are not completely wrong.   Preserving life and taking responsibility for the life you've made is one of them. 

My religion states that procreation is a divine duty given to us by God.  Therefore, to kill a child he has created it an almost unforgiveable act, there are circumstances, incest and endangerment of the mother where it can be forgiven.  The purpose of procreation is to give a body to the soul....therefore, you are robbing a soul of its chance at life when you have an abortion.

Maybe that's not Islam, but God did not give us the ability to have children to butcher them.  If you don't want children, then use birth control.  You shouldn't be having sex outside of marriage anyway, so talk to your husband about it first.  There are women out there just like me that are more than willing to take the unwanted children of these women.  In the end, only God has a the right to say what's murder and what isn't.  Man cannot make his own rules.

Date Posted: 13 January 2006 at 12:54pm

So, its just Fatwas???  No word from the Prophet and no verses in the Quran???  I see.

It is a formal legal ruling by one of islams legal schools of thought, this is binding on muslims to follow, for you it is enough to know this is the islamic position you are not in a state to correct a scholar on any matter even if the hadith is presented before you.

An ethical person would not stoop to throwing doubt or acusing a well known Muslim scholar of making a ruling not based on the Quran and sunnah.

Need i remind you this forum is islamic so when a muslim asks for advice they are asking for the islamic position nothing else, if you disagree please take the discussion to another thread otherwise your advice in this thread is considered a misguidance.

Angela you are one of the very few people given access to the islamic sections, please be more mindfull.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:03pm

The idea that it is permissable to have an abortion until the fourth month is not even agreed on by your own scholars. 

http://www.jamaat.org/qa/abort.html - http://www.jamaat.org/qa/abort.html

The scholars at this site say only in cases where the mother's life is at stake....not even rape.

So, how is my objection to abortion anti-Islamic.  And I have yet to actually be shown a ahadith or quranic verse to clarify the position that it isn't haram to abort the child before 120 days are past.

Convincing a woman that its okay just because she's under a given time period is wrong.  Unless she is going to die or the child is not going to live as in one of the cases on this sight, then its wrong.

Date Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:15pm

im sorry is that suposed to be a legal ruling or an opinion, one is bidning while the other is no more than mere chit chat in comparison. I also noticed you accept what he says yet it is entirely his own personnel reasoning no evidence from Quran or sunnah is he a mujtahid to be giving his own reasoning as a ruling for the matter when clear evidence from the Quran and Sunnah exist?

Who is this group? is it a sect or are they offering a legal rulling based an accpted madhhab?

are we now simply shoping around for any group which agrees with us on the matter?

I sugest you read the fatwah in its entiraty rather than make blanket statments no one encourages abortion but conditions exist when it would be permisable.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:28pm

regarding the issue of 120 days,

that according to Shari�ah the soul (Ruh) enters the foetus at 120 days (4 months) from conception.

The Jurists (Fuqaha) have based this duration upon a Qur�anic verse and a statement of the beloved of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace). In the verse Allah states the stages of development of the embryo in the womb of the mother. Allah Almighty says:

�And verily we did create man from a quintessence (of clay). Then we placed him (as a drop of sperm) in a place of rest, firmly fixed. Then we made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood. Then of that clot we made a (foetus) lump. Then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh. Then we developed out of it another creature (by breathing life into it). So blessed be Allah, the most marvellous creator� (Surah al-Mu�minun, 12/13/14).

In the Hadith recorded by the two most authentic authorities, Imam al-Bukhari and Imam Muslim in their respective Sahih collections, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) discussed in detail the periods elapsing between these stages, mentioned by the Qur�an.

Abdullah ibn Mas�ud (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

�The seed of one of you remains in the womb of the mother for forty days in the form of a Nutfa (sperm). Then it remains like a clot for another forty days, and then for a same number of days like a lump of flesh (when the formation of the limbs and the growth of the bones begin) (Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim).

The great Hanafi Faqeeh Ibn Abidin States in his Radd al-Muhtar:

�The soul enters the foutus at one hundred & twenty days (4 months), as established by the Hadith� (Radd al-Muhtar, 1/202)

The ruling on abortion in stage (a) i.e. after the entry of the soul into the foetus which is (as explained) 120 days, is that, it is totally impermissible and tantamount to murder, as it results in the taking out of an innocent life. All the scholars have unanimously condemned such a ghastly act.

regarding the issue of abortion prior to 120 days,

With regards to stage (b) i.e. prior to the entry of the soul into the foetus (120 days), the ruling is that, even in this case it is unlawful (Haram) to abort the pregnancy.

The reason why abortion prior to the soul entering the body will not be permitted is that, although there may not be life in the foetus, but the foetus is considered to be part and parcel of the mother�s body as long as it remains in the womb. Thus, just as one�s very own life and also all the limbs and organs of the human body are trust given by the Almighty Creator, so too is the foetus also a trust given to the mother by Allah, and she will not have a right to abort it.

The only difference here is that the sin of aborting the foetus will be of a lesser degree then aborting it after 120 days. It would not be regarded as murder, rather violating the rights of a human organ entrusted to the mother by Allah Almighty.

see the raminder of the fatwah for more detail.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:31pm

That's the problem, If I wanted to I could "shop" around for scholars that agree or disagree with me Rami.  That is why when I look at an Islamic reason, I want to see an ahadith or quranic verse.  That avoids the arguements on whether or not this cleric is right and that cleric is wrong.

There are so many sects and variations in Islam....so how can you definitively tell me I am wrong?  Okay, we'll go with the assumption that the "Ruh" doesn't enter the physical flesh until 120 days.  Does that make it any more right or wrong?  If that body is intended for a soul, then are you not denying that soul its foreordained body????

Date Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:34pm

Now, that makes a whole lot more sense than what you were talking about....except one thing....sperm lives 24-72 hours in the body....the clot like thing called a blastocyst starts forming days after conception....other than that...it makes more sense to tell a woman ITS STILL WRONG even if there is no soul yet.

(I'm adding this, I was just told the Sheikh you are quoting is some like Major Scholar....like me quoting Martin Luther, or Joseph Smith, etc....if you are going to use someone with this kind of reputation when answering a Non Muslim, please indicate the accepted authority of this person.  I have no idea if the name you give is a historical authority or your local Imam.)

Date Posted: 13 January 2006 at 2:11pm

thank you to the person who informed you they saved me an argument

regarding who to follow?

this is a rough break down of the muslim world,

Sunni muslims comprise roughly 90% of all muslims, the other major group is Shia they are roughly 5% probably more but not by much.

The overwhelming majority of muslims follow one of four schools of thought, Egypt and Asian Onciania countries are Shafii, North Africans are Maliki, Turkey and some Middle eastern countries are Hanafi while other middle eastern countries are hanbali. out of these four the  Major madhabs are the Hanafi and Shafii in terms of population.

Western Muslims are comprised of fragmented groups which is why you dont see them even knowing what a madhhab is, the only other exception is Saudi arabia which is wahhabi they also have big influence with western muslims.

If you Quote any ruling which is from any madhhab it would be accptable for any muslim to follow even if it is the opposite of what i mentioned, this is how muslims treat diferences of opinion as long as the opinion is from an expert and not an unqualified person or sect.

otherwise if the person follows Saudi you Quote for them from there scholars, generaly speaking people who adhere to the madhhabs do not accept rulings from them, i dont think they have a diferent opinion on this matter though allahu alam.

I was Quoting the Hanafi madhhab as the Fatwah stated, i was under the asumption you had read the legal rulling but insha allah i will consider your sugestion in the future.

If you do the math on the sections i quoted you will arrive at 120 days, although i should state hadith are not legal rullings so even if i quote a few ahadith or versus from the Quran it would be impermisable to take them as fatwah. Far to many issues exist which must be sorted out beffore we ensure that what we are Quoting is not abrogated or conditional or only part of the picture i could give you examples of how easy it is to confuse and misguide your self by taking a hadith as your fatwah the matter needs to be investigated and the utmost care taken.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 January 2006 at 10:11am

Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Sorry Herjihad, Rami

But I have yet to see the verse in the Quran that says we don't get our souls until three months?

Where is the verse?

Angela, The Quran is sometimes silent on certain specifics, which are detailed in the hadith literature.

If I am not wrong the following verses are closest to your querry:

YUSUFALI: He Who has made everything which He has created most good: He began the creation of man with (nothing more than) clay,
PICKTHAL: Who made all things good which He created, and He began the creation of man from clay;
SHAKIR: Who made good everything that He has created, and He began the creation of man from dust.

YUSUFALI: And made his progeny from a quintessence of the nature of a fluid despised:
PICKTHAL: Then He made his seed from a draught of despised fluid;
SHAKIR: Then He made his progeny of an extract, of water held in light estimation.

YUSUFALI: But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give!
PICKTHAL: Then He fashioned him and breathed into him of His Spirit; and appointed for you hearing and sight and hearts. Small thanks give ye!
SHAKIR: Then He made him complete and breathed into him of His spirit, and made for you the ears and the eyes and the hearts; little is it that you give thanks.

Thru the hadith we get a closer picture of the events that follow in succession in a mother's womb.

The following are from Al-Bukhari

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud

Allah's Apostle the true and truly inspired, narrated to us, "The creation of everyone of you starts with the process of collecting the material for his body within forty days and forty nights in the womb of his mother. Then he becomes a clot of thick blood for a similar period (40 days) and then he becomes like a piece of flesh for a similar period. Then an angel is sent to him (by Allah) and the angel is allowed (ordered) to write four things; his livelihood, his (date of) death, his deeds, and whether he will be a wretched one or a blessed one (in the Hereafter) and then the soul is breathed into him.So one of you may do (good) deeds characteristic of the people of Paradise so much that there is nothing except a cubit between him and Paradise but then what has been written for him decides his behavior and he starts doing (evil) deeds characteristic of the people of Hell (Fire) and (ultimately) enters Hell (Fire); and one of you may do (evil) deeds characteristic of the people of Hell (Fire) so much so that there is nothing except a cubit between him and Hell (Fire), thenwhat has been written for him decides his behavior and he starts doing(good) deeds characteristic of the people of Paradise and ultimately) enters Paradise."

Narrated 'Abdullah

Allah's Apostle, the truthful and truly-inspired, said, "Each one of you collected in the womb of his mother for forty days, and then turnsinto a clot for an equal period (of forty days) and turns into a piece of flesh for a similar period (of forty days) and then Allah sends an angel and orders him to write four things, i.e., his provision, his age, and whether he will be of the wretched or the blessed (in the Hereafter). Then the soul is breathed into him. And by Allah, a personamong you (or a man) may do deeds of the people of the Fire till thereis only a cubit or an arm-breadth distance between him and the Fire, but then that writing (which Allah has ordered the angel to write) precedes, and he does the deeds of the people of Paradise and enters it; and a man may do the deeds of the people of Paradise till there isonly a cubit or two between him and Paradise, and then that writing precedes and he does the deeds of the people of the Fire and enters it."

Narrated Abdullah

Allah's Apostle, the true and truly inspired said, "(as regards your creation), every one of you is collected in the womb of his mother forthe first forty days, and then he becomes a clot for an other forty days, and then a piece of flesh for an other forty days. Then Allah sends an angel to write four words: He writes his deeds, time of his death, means of his livelihood, and whether he will be wretched or blessed (in religion). Then the soul is breathed into his body. So a man may do deeds characteristic of the people of the (Hell) Fire, so much so that there is only the distance of a cubit between him and it,and then what has been written (by the angel) surpasses, and so he starts doing deeds characteristic of the people of Paradise and entersParadise. Similarly, a person may do deeds characteristic of the people of Paradise, so much so that there is only the distance of a cubit between him and it, and then what has been written (by the angel) surpasses, and he starts doing deeds of the people of the (Hell) Fire and enters the (Hell) Fire.

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mus'ud

Allah's Apostle, the true and truly inspired said, "(The matter of theCreation of) a human being is put together in the womb of the mother in forty days, and then he becomes a clot of thick blood for a similar period, and then a piece of flesh for a similar period. Then Allah sends an angel who is ordered to write four things. He is ordered to write down his (i.e. the new creature's) deeds, his livelihood, his (date of) death, and whether he will be blessed or wretched (in religion). Then the soul is breathed into him. So, a man amongst you may do (good deeds till there is only a cubit between him and Paradise and then what has been written for him decides his behavior and he starts doing (evil) deeds characteristic of the people of the (Hell) Fire. And similarly a man amongst you may do (evil) deeds till there is only a cubit between him and the (Hell) Fire, and then what has been written for him decides his behavior, and he starts doing deeds characteristic of the people of Paradise."

Every life is sacred in Islam, and even one taken away in injustice is like a murder of entire mankind. It is as straightforward as this.

Abortion is not permissible for petty reasons like "I was not ready". it was an accident, we are not financially stable etc etc ...

I have skimed thru your responses Angela, perhaps I should give more time, but so far I am unable to understand why you cannot see the regard for soul in Islam. Or why you had been re-emphasising your point when it was said already that aborting a pregnancy is wrong in Islam.

Peace,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 17 January 2006 at 8:43am

Rami you implied that to take a pro-life stand is "Western". My quiestion for you is what is unislamic about that? Is this what is being taught in Islamic schools in the "East"? My hope is that Islam will reach it's full potential in the United States but Muslims must incoorporate their values into our system of government. As far as abortion is concerned that means joining the pro-life movement, which already craves diversity. This idea of going to a scholar to look up advice doesn't appeal to me because it undermines people's abitlity to make their own informed decisions on the subject.

Date Posted: 17 January 2006 at 8:48am
Because Nausheen we see life present at conception and that is the life worth preserving. It is dangerous to start implying when a human has a soul and I think it's obvious why. All over the world there is this problem of preserving innocent life and I have yet to see Muslims take a huge stand on it. In Holland for example now children who are born with major handicaps are being executed by euthenasia with the consent of their parents.

Date Posted: 17 January 2006 at 9:20am

Nausheen,

Its because the arguements over abortion here in the United States hold the "when is a child a child" argument. 

When is life created, conception, after the first trimester, or at birth?

I thank you and Rami for posting the FULL narratives so that I can read them.  I do not have access to this literature or even know its out there many times.

The reason I fight so hard is because the Pro Choice movement try very hard to define life at birth and not protect it when its in its most vulnerable state.  Telling them there's no soul until 120 days, they would use that as an argument for why its okay to have an abortion up to that point.

I personally do not feel we have a choice.  I would not consider death a choice for the mother, if there is no alternative, there is no alternative.  That's not a choice, it has to happen. 

I guess my fear was that Rami was saying it was okay, as long as the Ruh wasn't there yet. 

That upset me to no end.  When creation is denied to a woman, like it has been to me, then we tend to get a little more vicious in protecting it in others.  Sorry if I offended, but for me, a woman who has an abortion when there are other options like adoption....then that's murder.

Date Posted: 17 January 2006 at 6:48pm

Bismillah,

I am thinking of the Saudi girl who was raped by her brother's friend and then after she had the baby, she was dragged out of the hospital and murdered.  They said she enticed him to do it.  I read this here on IC.

I would rather have had this girl:  Escape to a safe place to have the baby secretly, or if that couldn't be done, abort it as early after the pregnancy was known as possible.  Many people have tough situations like this one, and I am not in their shoes.  Who will take care of her baby?  The wonderful family that so irresponsibly didn't protect her, their own child?

This situation resulted in the death of the mother, although it wasn't medical, rather societal.  Thank God many women are not faced with their own deaths because of Roe v Wade.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 January 2006 at 8:11pm

LOL

So you think that before women in Saudi Arabia are allowed to vote, drive and be escorted without her husband or father she will be able to talk the Royal Family of upholding the United States' "Roe vs. Wade" law.????!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said before it is so rare that women in the United States are faced with a societal dilema as you described that it is socially irresponsible for us to let abortion be legal for everyone else. The majority of abortions are not necessary and more over, they are repeat abortions.

Date Posted: 17 January 2006 at 9:18pm

Angela go back to my oroginal post and click on the Blue highlighted writting they are links to the original fatwah not simply writing which is highlighted in blue and underlined so it stands out

May i dont know what you are talking about in America abortion is an option for women if they choose it, so for a muslim to follow what there religion says is well within American laws, please dont throw out there generalised statments espetialy regarding Islamic law when non muslims simply treat them  as they would any other law, they do not understand them and there nature so they have no right to comment on them in such a manner.

If you are a muslims by some chance i sugest learning more about what shariah law is from reliable traditional sources, about how it is implamented in non muslim countries and what your responsibility is.

just some advice only a muslim government has the right for punishment and only in there lands, so no choping of hands or stonning to death or what ever stereotyopical image you have of our faith, it is haram to take matters into your own hands.

Can non muslims stop commenting on this topic your input is not asked for this isnt a discussion a muslim is asking for Islamic advice not confusion from your end. If you wish to discuss this by all means you are more than welcome to start a seperate topic in the relavent sections.

This interferance is the main issue moderators have with non muslims, a muslim can not seek advice from another muslim without a non muslim confusing the issue, we dont mind simple questions to clarify a point but this is getting out of hand.

The main reason for this site is to guide muslims then it is to educate non muslims please show some wisdom on the matter.

i wont be around for 2 weeks so i wont be able to reply to anything being said.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 January 2006 at 1:24pm

Yes I am Muslim, and you undermine the information I gave you which you seem to have little understanding of. If every muslim beleived as you did then I guess your advice would make sense.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net