Print Page | Close Window

Women of the Holy Kingdom

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3611
Printed Date: 06 October 2024 at 4:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Women of the Holy Kingdom
Posted By: Angela
Subject: Women of the Holy Kingdom
Date Posted: 06 February 2006 at 5:10pm

Discovery Times had an interesting show on Saudi women.  It will be shown again several times on Feb 7th.

http://times.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=110414&gid=0&channel=DTC - http://times.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=0& amp;cpi=110414&gid=0&channel=DTC

Replies:
Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:25am
I don't have this channel what a bummer, only basic cable at my house!! Someone else can fill me in a little maybe, Angela if you have time. Peace

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:40am

Well, the reporter was a woman from Pakistan.  She and her all female film crew toured Saudi Arabia talking to women and men about the Woman's movement in Saudi.  They were provided with a chaperone, but it was very interesting the things that happened.

While filming on one street the Moral Police showed up and said the all woman crew was attracting too much attention.  Even though they had a government chaperone, they were going to shut them down.

They showed clips of a Saudi sitcom that I wouldn't mind watching.  In one scene, the women who are home alone are frightened by an intruder.  They throw on their abayas and call the police.  They are standing veiled on the sidewalk and the policemen start to enter the home to look for the intruder and they ask the ladies where their father is.  They say he is not home.  The policeman apologizes and tells them he cannot enter the home unless their male relative is home and leaves them.   In another scene, an unmarried woman is under the care of her VERY elderly father who sees every man as a threat.  So he hits any man who mistakenly walks to close with his cane.

She talked to educated women, common women, tribal women.  She talked to short lived political candidates, female journalists and reformers.

She talked to a member of the Saudi government, TV producers, male journalists and a member of the moral police.

She went to Starbucks and had to sit in a segregated area with her crew, yet she had to purchase her coffee from a strange man.

She was only able to eat from one of the 5 restaurants in her hotel or order room service.

But, it wasn't all negative.

She talked with a female architect about the improvements for educated women. 

She talked with a Journalist for the Arab News who was able to see changes in her work place.

And she talked to a few women in a factory, which a few years ago would have never happened.  They expressed hope and faith that their daughters would have more opportunities for education and employment.

She also met several powerful men who were supportive of women having a more active role in Saudi's future.

My husband was rivoted and he's only shown a passing interest in such things. 

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 8:08am

Bismillah,

Thank you for the post, Angela!  I also don't get cable, and I appreciate the description!

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 8:26am

The strangest thing I found was that she found the most ardent critics of the Women's movement to be other women.

About the right to vote, one YOUNG educated woman pointed out that the western women had to wait for their turn.

Women in one market called the crew Immoral for filming around men, and other women felt that they were better off with the restrictions on them.  They were more protected.

As a western woman, this is hard for me to understand this mentality, but I guess I can understand the fear having lived in a lot more liberal areas than I do now.

Its a fine line to walk between western values of freedom and equality and keeping out the liberalism and moral decay.  I see the struggles here in Utah as Mormon girls must chose between living a gospel life and joining their non mormon friend's fashion and lifestyle choices.  Where a member of my Church refused to play that "Brokeback Mountain" movie and was publically criticized because of his closemindedness. 

However, I did not agree with the man that said women belong only in the home simple because they are women.  Khadija was a business owner and no good muslim would ever question her virtue because she worked outside her and the Prophets home.

Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 10:54am
I think many women in Saudi, at least the middle, upper middle and wealthy lead a life of luxory. At least they have servants from poor countries and sometimes nannies. They spend alot of time going to other womens houses for parties, shopping and going to beauty parlors. They also get driven around by male drivers and therefor don't have to worry about riding a bus or walking alot. Needless to say they are living in a giant bubble that is about to burst. The saudi economy can no longer afford all this pork(waste) and will soon have to cut back on all the perks they offer all the citizens and government employees. This may mean no more drivers and less servants and imported lower middle class workers. This will mean more jobs in the Saudi economy that need to be filled by saudis and more saudi women. They may even have to start driving because thier husbands wont be able to quit thier jobs just to shuttle the wife and kids around. And the women may not be able to have such a luxurious and lazy life and some may actually have to do some housework and have jobs outside the home. I think this is why you see some women opposed to the kingdom opening up, they are just plain LAZY!!! They don't want to ever have to work, or ride a bus or walk a few miles to a shop. My friend who is American lived there about 9 months and said the passtime of the women is basically eating, shopping, partying, shoppin, eating, eating, oh did I mention shopping, and going to the spa, the salon and the spa and the salon again. Thats it. What a waste of time, money and brain cells. Not to mention Saudis are all getting fat from lack of ever breaking a sweat or doing a days hard work. I find the whole society nauseating, and it is sad these are the people in charge Of the Wonderful Islamic Treasures like Mecca and Medina. Peace

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 2:33pm
I agree with jenni

Posted By: ZEA J
Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 4:36pm
I don't think you have the right to talk about saudi women like that  jenny,just because they live a different lifestyle.

-------------
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)

Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:01pm
Zea j, they have a lazy lifestyle. At least the middle, upper middle and upper class do. I know people who have lived there and have mixed with them. Some of the women are very superficial and simply love to shop and wear designer clothes. Meanwhile they pay thier servants as little as possible and treat them badly. My friend who visited thier would say ASalaamAlaikum and be friendly to the servants when she would visit someones house. They would allways tell her DONT TALK TO THE SERVANTS, dont be nice to them. Even though some of the servants were Muslim she could not say Salaam to them. She was so disgusted with how they treat people and have such a superiority complex. It is really shameful. I stand by my statement. And I do not include lower middle class and poor saudis and women as they have a very different life and are more humble.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:56pm

Bismillah,

Jenni, maybe you are right, generally.    I will contribute a small, personal item.  I had a dear friend who was Saudi and rich, and she was one of the most humble, kind-hearted women I have ever met.  Also another in the same category from the Emirates.  Not only was this second lady all of those things, but she was the epitomization of Patience.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 9:13pm
Herjihad, you are right. There are exceptions to the rule and many good people in Saudi. What I am referring to is the general Saudi culture that encourages this type of lifestyle. I have also met some nice ladies from Kuwait, I am sure they were rich but in no way did they show off. Peace

-------------

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 11:50pm

Salam,

I would also like to add my perspective on saudi society and its women.

While many existing laws in that country are not truly Islamic shariah laws, I can say that kingdom has been undergoing tremendous change in the last couple of years. My brother who works there as computer engineer tells me about those changes. Conditions of Saudi women, particulary from job market point of view are also changing drastically and getting only better by the grace of Allah. People, in general,  are happy there, more happy than we see elsewhere. For example, they rarely have cases of depression as we see so many here in the West. May be, because they achieve their "spiritual appetite" by frequently visiting Mecca and Medina more than us. Allah knows best.

Allah has really blessed the land as Prophet Abraham ( peace and blessings of Allah be on him ) had prayed to Allah:

And ( remember ) when Ibrahim ( Abraham ) said, " My Lord, make this city ( Makkah ) a place of security and provide its people with fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day." He ( Allah ) answered: "As for him who disbelieves, I shall leave him in contentment for a while, then I shall compel him to the torment of the Fire, and worst indeed is that destination!"

Qur'an: 2: 126

It apears to me that the society as a whole is moving towards betterment. Changes do not happen over night. They take time. Western democracies have taken hundreds of years to flourish, so we can also expect the same for them. Perhaps they will change at a faster rate due to volatile situation in the Middle East. Before 60s, they were so poor, that some Nawabs ( for example, Muslim Nizam of Hyderabad, India ) used to send money to them for support plus they used to mainly derive their earnings from annual pilgrimage. That was their "financially bottom" position in economic terms. Then Allah blessed them with oil. They went suddently from bottom to top of economic cycle. They wasted lots of resources, and may be wasting even now. But, as I said, they are now moving towards normalization.

The good point is that the better Saudi society moves in the right direction ( as it is doing now ), the better it would be for Islam as its leadership is the Custodian of two holy mosques, Mecca and Medina. It would also be better for non-Muslims who sincerely want to learn about Islam, the way of life.

May Allah bless them to achieve what is truly islamic, and may Allah also bless us with the wisdom of Islam.

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Posted By: firewall3
Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 12:32am
by better, what does it mean. i hope better, is not an illusion to worse. like what outsiders has been promising to Iraqis. better should come from within. if it comes from outside, it scould spell worse.

and i've read some Saudi women writers, on ArabNews there's Lubna Hassan (or Hussein, sorry!), she can be funny as well as opiniated. one thing i notice, and this is only my opinion, is that while maybe saudi women ask for some changes, but they certainly don't like it if outsiders barge in as if they're damsels in distress to be rescued. they can certainly do it better on their own.

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 1:55am

firewall3,

Better here would mean "better from within".

You have made your point well. Outside interference in such cases and in fact, in many situations becomes counter productive. ( Newton's law-action / reaction ).

Peace

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 7:43am

Originally posted by firewall3 firewall3 wrote:

and i've read some Saudi women writers, on ArabNews there's Lubna Hassan (or Hussein, sorry!), she can be funny as well as opiniated. one thing i notice, and this is only my opinion, is that while maybe saudi women ask for some changes, but they certainly don't like it if outsiders barge in as if they're damsels in distress to be rescued. they can certainly do it better on their own.

Lubna was one of the women interviewed in this show.  She seems to be a very intelligent and wonderful woman.  This show was focused on Saudi women.  That included the duel roles as women of faith and women who are being supressed by CULTURE, not religion.  I was suprised at the number of men in the show who were supportive of women having more freedoms of education and employment, while still observing modesty. 

The Saudi women interviewed just want to have the freedoms that Allah gave them.  To choose their husbands, to have property not be it, to be their own person. 

They talked about the 50 girls killed when the Religious police wouldn't let them out of a burning building because they were not veiled.  That the women in Saudi don't want to turn their back on their religion, but they want to be safe.  That kind of isolation and oppression is not safety. 

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 10:42am
Angela good point, the girls who died in the fire deserved better than this. Shame on the Saudi police and government for allowing such a thing. I think if a building is on fire and you are naked with NO CLOTHES you can run out of the building because it is LIFE OR DEATH!! The saudis need to get thier heads straigh and things like the girl school fire makes Islam look backwards to the rest of the world. I will say again shame on them and someone deserves severe punishment for those girls being killed. It was MURDER!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 11:37am

Salam Jenni,

I agree with you. But, the change has to come from within. They don't want to import democracy from elsewhere as "big brother" wanted to liberate women in Afghanistan, liberate iraqis from Saddam, and now may be wanting to liberate women in Iran and elsewhere.  And media works with the "big brother" hand in hand.

I hope you are getting my point.

Peace

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 12:10pm

I get your point PM.  And I agree with it.  Bush got a wake up call in Palestine the past few weeks.  Democracy is great, but now Hamas is in charge.  I think it would be a moral and political crime to not recognize Hamas.  The people voted and that's what they want.

I feel that the men and women of the Middle East need to take their own destinies in their hands when it comes to Democracy and social reform.  A western Christian society cannot set up a working democracy for a culture and society that operates by different values.

I am heartened by the changes that are being made in Saudi.  The condition of the women there were why as a 18 year old girl, I thought Islam was evil.  Now I see that its a Saudi thing, not an Islam thing. 

Women in this country had to struggle for many years to get their equality and we still do not have it.  So, I know its going to be a long road for the Saudi women. 

I hope and pray my country stays out of it.

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 5:44pm
while i support gender justice, still i'm uneasy with the way this thread is going. honestly, opinions here are personal opinions, which should not be taken as statements on behalf of the saudis. unless the writer is a saudi, lives in saudi, understands the saudi culture & witness the events; the opinions here can only be personal speculations.

honestly, thanks Angela for highlighting Lubna (she's famous!). but as much as i like Lubna's writings, as far as i remember, she also had wrote about western misconceptions on Saudi women. how they think Saudi women are oppressed beings, when they're really pretty outspoken. Lubna Olayan (CEO Olayan Financing), is listed by Forbes as one of the most powerful woman. The Saudi women themselves are well educated. When Karen Hughes tell them they soon can drive, they actually blasted Karen Hughes.

So Peacemaker could be right, that a change from within is happening. And it is best left to the Saudis themselves.

And in a way, when Lubna wrote that i understand how outsiders can be sympathetical, but they can often misjudge a country too. many blogs do that to my country & many others, i.e. China, Saudi etc. even here, i clearly remember someone had condemned malaysian shariah law as oppressive to women, when that is a untrue. if malaysians don't intervene, you'd remain thinking it's true. & libel on another country & shariah will flourish.

so i'm taking a strictly cautious approach to opinions & speculations. i am quite disapproving to speculations, so i think it's easier for my heart to excuse myself. maybe i should better not talk on something i do not witness & can't get fair judgment from all actual sides of the parties.

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 6:11pm

Saudi Arabia: Religious Police Role in School Fire Criticized

(New York, March 15, 2002) -- Saudi authorities should conduct an independent, thorough, and transparent investigation of the March 11 fire at a girls' public intermediate school in Mecca that claimed the lives of at least fourteen students, Human Rights Watch said today. The tragedy has focused attention on the role of the religious police as well as the state agency responsible for the education of girls and women in the kingdom

" Women and girls may have died unnecessarily because of extreme interpretations of the Islamic dress code. State authorities with direct and indirect responsibility for this tragedy must be held accountable "
Hanny Megally  
Executive Director of the Middle East and North Africa Division of Human Rights Watch.  

Print http://hrw.org/english/docs/2002/03/15/saudia3801_txt.htm - Printer Friendly Version

Related Material

http://hrw.org/press/2002/03/state030402.htm - U.S. State Department Rights Reports Critique
Press Release, March 4, 2002

http://hrw.org/press/2002/02/saudi020502.htm - Saudi Arabia: New Evidence Of Torture
Press Release, February 5, 2002

http://hrw.org/act/subscribe-mlists/subscribe.htm - Free Email Newsletter

http://hrw.org/donations/ - Contribute to Human Rights Watch

Eyewitnesses, including civil defense officers, reported that several members of the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (mutawwa'in, in Arabic) interfered with rescue efforts because the fleeing students were not wearing the obligatory public attire (long black cloaks and head coverings) for Saudi girls and women. The mutawwa'in, a law-enforcement agency that has sought to ensure the application of the kingdom's strict gender segregation and dress code for women, has drawn criticism for abusive practices including harassment, physical abuse, and arbitrary arrest.  
"Women and girls may have died unnecessarily because of extreme interpretations of the Islamic dress code," said Hanny Megally, Executive Director of the Middle East and North Africa division of Human Rights Watch. "State authorities with direct and indirect responsibility for this tragedy must be held accountable."  

There were 835 students and fifty-five women teachers in Intermediate School No. 31 when the blaze started at about 8:00 in the morning, according to Saudi press reports. Saudi newspapers suggested that the school, located in a rented building, was overcrowded, and may have lacked proper safety infrastructure and equipment, such as fire stairs and alarms.  

The government's investigation should also examine unsafe conditions at the school, which is administered by the General Presidency for Girls' Education (GPGE), Human Rights Watch added.  

Yesterday's edition of Arab News (Jeddah) cited a report prepared by Mecca's Civil Defense Department about the rescue effort at the school. The report noted that mutawwa'in were at the school's main gate and, "intentionally obstructed the efforts to evacuate the girls. This resulted in the increased number of casualties." The religious police reportedly tried to block the entry of Civil Defense officers into the building. "We told them that the situation was dangerous and it was not the time to discuss religious issues, but they refused and started shouting at us," Arab News quoted Civil Defense officers as saying.  

"Whenever the girls got out through the main gate, these people forced them to return via another. Instead of extending a helping hand for the rescue work, they were using their hands to beat us," Civil Defense officers were quoted as saying. The officers also said they saw three people beating girls who had evacuated the school without proper dress. A Saudi journalist told Human Rights Watch that the mutawwa'in at the scene also turned away parents and other residents who came to assist.  

The tragedy has prompted Saudi journalists to call for greater openness on the part of the GPGE in response to inquiries from the media for information about its policies and practices. All aspects of state-financed education for girls in Saudi Arabia, including the renting of buildings for schools, is under the authority of the GPGE, an autonomous government agency long controlled by conservative clerics. "A free flow of information would. . . help the press to prepare an investigative report on other schools in the Kingdom where conditions might also endanger the lives of students and teachers," Deputy Editor-in-Chief Jamal A. Khashoggi wrote in yesterday's Arab News.  

He urged that the GPGE provide information about fire safety in its schools for girls, including the number of fire extinguishers, the frequency of fire drills, as well as details about the contracts for the thousands of rented school premises in the kingdom, including provisions for installation of emergency exits and fire alarms.  

The kingdom's intermediate public schools, which are segregated by gender, provide three years of education for children between the ages of twelve and fifteen, following a six-year program of elementary education.  

Saudi Arabia is a state party to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child and the U.N. Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination against Women.  

Megally added that in the midst of this tragedy it was encouraging to see relatively open discussion of need for investigation in the traditionally very quiescent Saudi press.  

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 6:12pm
who wrote that Jenni? 

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 6:13pm
Is this good enough for you firewall 3? This is the true story of what really happened. And I doubt you will get the real news story of what happened from any saudi paper as they have absoulutly NO freedom of press.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 6:14pm
This was written by human rights watch, a non profit non religious organization that works for human rights all over the world for all people of all religions.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 6:21pm
pls Jenni, i do not want to defend any wrong doings. i don't know what exactly cause that school fire scenario. but if you want think it did happen, i condemn it as well. BUT, you must remember, it might also be an isolated incident. and to generalise than every girls in every burning house in Saudi should die instead of being rescued, can simply be defamation for the Saudis.

Jenni, plss. i've been hurt when you libel my country. using a broad paintbrush on a country, is never painting the correct picture. when the US army abused people in Abu Ghraib, do you paint that every American abuse everyone like that?

again i excuse myself as i think this discussion can border on unfairness. i'm deeply sorry if i hurt anyone.

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 6:28pm
Firewall3, I am not trying to be mean to you. And the article I quoted on Malaysia was posted on Islamicity website. It presented that the way Sharia would be implemented in Malaysia would be bad for women and take away thier rights. I was commenting on the article. As far as Saudi goes I agree thier are many good people there. I am addressing an overall problem in their culture, it is unfair towards women. Not because they have to cover, while I disagree with forcing women to wear a Niqab that is the least of my concerns. The fact is they can't vote,can't drive,have very little protection from domestic abuse, and in divorce have little rights to thier children. This is opressive plain and simple. Peace

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 10:56pm
thanks for you unnecessary sympathy jenni, but the shariah law in Malaysia does not abuse woman. since ppl who condemn don't even live here, yet condemn something one don't even understand, maybe one can try accepting the fact that it's really misconception to the Bill that's feeding the condemnations.

the truth is the law does not abuse. the Malaysian government has been scrutinizing this law, right now fine-tuning grey areas. and woman NGOs has been welcomed by the law-makers to give feedback on the bill. it consults the ulama, the government, the NGOs fo the bill to be written.

as explained by Sharizat Jalil, Minister of Women, Family and Community Development, the Bill will preserve women rights. such as:
1) if the husband wants to seek a new wife, he
now must present his current wife/wives, the new wife, the wali and everybody affected by the new marriege for legal judgement, as so to decide wether he is eligible, or not, for poligamy
2) the assets will be divided before the polygamy happens, as to protect the current wife/wives. this as so porportions of assets will be righted for the wives, without
the husband mishandling assets on the new wife.

as promised by Sharizat Jalil, as a trained lawyer she believed in this law, and before it will be in effect -- it should pass the NGO test. the government is working closely with women NGOs, and they are welcomed to raise concerns on the bill. the ulama & law-makers will explain the reasoning, fine-tuning grey areas until every party is satisfied. and only after approval from every party should the law be in effect.

so dear islamicity. i can explain my country, amaturishly however. but for others that has been condemned, maybe you really should know they have their own explaination too. and i can't be explaining to everybody i meet online -- so pls, somebody will you pls at least check first before one condemns another?

so i do hope ppl will not condemn unfairly... it does incite unnecessary hurt.

Posted By: ZEA J
Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 11:10pm
i agree with you firewall3

-------------
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)

Date Posted: 11 February 2006 at 7:22am

Bismillah,

I have had Saudi acquaintences complain to me about the morality police and their uneven, unfair, misapplied power over the people.  They should be prosecuted for mudering those girls, not just chastised in the non-Saudi press.

Firewall3, You know very well that there are Malaysians who disagree with the implementation of the Shariah as interpretted by the leadership there.  You can give us your point of view, and we are glad to know it, but unless you are going to present the opposition's point of view too, then we deserve to hear that from someone.

-------------

Posted By: Mishmish
Date Posted: 11 February 2006 at 7:55am

Assalamu Alaikum:

One of my best friends is from Saudi Arabia. We have known each other for almost 30 years. There are many things about the country that she loves, but many things that are seriously wrong. From her perspective, the majority of regular Saudi Citizens are pretty terrified of the Religious Police. Even the Saudi Police will not try to stop them if they are harassing someone.

Many of the Saudi men want women to drive, vote, etc... That is why there have been spontaneous demonstrations within the Kingdom from time to time, by men, women, or men and women. Even when the demonstrators are just women, they still get their husbands' permission before demonstrating, (kinda ironic note), because they know they will be arrested and their husbands will be held responsible. It is not the government who doesn't want to give women these rights so much as the religious leaders who have so much power.

I also saw the show that Angela is referring to. It was interesting, but what I found the most interesting is when the documentarian was speaking to one of the most powerful religious leaders in Saudi, who actually controls alot of what happens there, and she asked him why women were not allowed certain rights and he really didn't have an Islamic answer, he just kept saying something like: that's just the role of women... I'm sorry, it's been a while so I don't remember the exact words. But that was his answer, basically just because...

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Date Posted: 12 February 2006 at 9:26pm

This is interesting, and has links to other articles about Saudi women...

Saudis debate ban on women drivers

Friday 10 June 2005, 9:37 Makka Time, 6:37 GMT   < id=DateDisp_updateDate = name=DateDisp:updateDate> <>

Saudi Arabia is the only country that prohibits women drivers

Related:
Saudi women to get first taste of polls

Tools:
  Email Article
  Print Article
  Send Your Feedback

A Saudi man's call to lift a decades-old ban against women driving - the only prohibition of its kind in the world - has been met with death threats and opposition.

Mohammed al-Zulfa's knew his proposal last month to Saudi Arabia's appointed advisory council, of which he is a member, would stir controversy. Even so, he was taken aback by the reaction.

Some people said he should be booted off the all-male Shura Council, which has the power to change old laws and draft new ones. Another made death threats against him and his family.

The step would be almost revolutionary for the kingdom's conservative and segregated Muslim society.

"It's as if I am calling for women to take their clothes off on the street," he told Reuters. "I was only asking a normal question, about a normal issue."

Conservative Saudis say that allowing women to drive would expose them to strange men, and encourage young people to date - which would be anathema to the traditional practice of arranged, or at least closely supervised, marriage.

Those in favour of lifting the ban say the accepted practice of hiring foreign drivers to get around it is even less compatible with Islamic social norms. It also places a heavy burden on Saudi families who cannot afford such a luxury.

Zulfa says if the 150-member council does not vote on his proposal, it would be the first time it does not follow its own procedures.

The laws have gone to an internal committee and when they return for a vote, he will find out if it can be included.

"I am still hoping and waiting. I think it's the right place and time for this matter ... to be discussed and I hope my colleagues will be brave enough not to resist," he said.

Regardless of the outcome, the issue he raised is being debated more openly than ever before in newspapers, by important officials and the public.

Social, not religious

A top official and a senior cleric have made significant public comments on whether allowing women to drive is an act that breaks faith with Islam.

Interior Minister Prince Naif characterised the ban as a social rather than religious issue, which in theory means that if society wanted to see it lifted, there would be no obstacle.

Saudi women often have to wait
for their drivers to pick them up

The catch is whether Saudi society - which follows an austere doctrine of Islam - really does.

Shaikh Abdullah ibn Munee, a member of the Council of Senior Ulema - Saudi Arabia's highest religious body - lent some support to Naif by saying scholars had not discussed the issue, but that it was not religiously forbidden for women to drive.

"We never said it was haram (sinful) for women to drive. We do not say it is haram, but we say that it is for the good of our daughters not to drive," the Arab News quoted him as saying.

Such comments may have encouraged a member of a 1990 women's driving protest that shocked the kingdom to again speak out.

Fawziah al-Bakr, a 37-year-old university teacher spent a night in jail alongside 47 other women for taking part in the protest drive 15 years ago.

She said lifting the ban was a matter of conditioning people in a society where demonstrations are virtually unheard of and questioning religious tenets unthinkable.

"People had to get used to the idea of education for girls; they can get used to the idea of women driving. It is of course not the most important issue, but it is an important expression of freedom, mobility and access for women," she said.

Local newspapers have been filled with debate and editorials on the issue. One showed a photograph of a Saudi woman driving her car in the desert. A piece in Arab News newspaper carried the headline: "Let Them Be at the Helm."

Expensive drivers

Many among the country's liberal minority hope the time could be right for Saudi authorities to lift the ban, which they believe is in the interests of the country's economy.

"People had to get used to the idea of education for girls, they can get used to the idea of women driving"

Fawziah al-Bakr, university teacher jailed for a protest drive in 1990

Foreign drivers cost the kingdom more than 12 billion riyals ($3.2 billion) a year, according to Zulfa's estimates.

"It should be obvious to us all today that the future growth and prosperity of our country depends largely on women and their equal role in society," said oil consultant Hassan Yassin.

"We can ignore it and delay it all we want, but we cannot stop this from happening. With courage and confidence we should grab the initiative and take those steps which are in the interest of our country and economy," he said.

Saudi women, who support the cause, say the government should give them the option, whether society approves or not, in the same way that the late King Faisal imposed education for girls on an unwilling public in 1960.

"I think ... the government should take the initiative. If people don't want to do it (drive), it's up to them. But this is getting silly; it's giving Saudi Arabia a bad image. I feel sad about this, it's humiliating," Bakr said.

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Date Posted: 18 February 2006 at 8:23pm
bismillahi rahmani raheem,

salam. i just wanna say, i'm sorry to Jenni and anyone who i might offend here, as i might have been a little heated in arguing my points. i'm very sorry. i really should be more patient & understanding. so i'm sorry. if Jenni is simply reacting to a report, i guess it's understandable. i must say, maybe people are influenced by some women here who have been too critical of the shariah too. i was concerned too. but it was prooved to be simple misinterpretations. our intentions might be well, only the conduct is arguable.

still the best of all, the issue raised are nothing abusive at all. so we all can be happy about that.

i truly believe no muslim want to be abusive to another. (i learned that a muslim will be bankrupt on Judgement Day if he/she hurts another). so i believe that a trustworthy, recognised and noble group of ulama and the learned, never seek abusive laws. we must give them credit, as a higher learned people. still if women are concerned of the law, we can always raise it nicely & seek clarification. the women NGOs can always communicate with them & the law-makers. & they can always explain, clarify and correct grey areas.

as the Shariah is Allah's Law, i do support it.still i do believe to ensure it's fair implementation, we can always work together, and build consensus with all parties. either ulama or not, we're all muslim brotherhood (or sisterhood). we can cooperate together to support and implement the fairness of Allah's Law.

so i guess, that's all i wanna say. if i'm wrong people can always correct me. plss.. Jenni, & maybe Angela. I do feel bad to of what happened here. so i hope people can forgive me if i hurt their feelings. it's my fault for a heated argument. so i'm sorry. may Allah Bless you. thanks.

Date Posted: 18 February 2006 at 8:32pm

Bismillah,

Ma'ShahAllah, Firewall.  What lovely, heartfelt sentiments.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2006 at 7:44am

firewall,

No harm.  You are defending your people.  I was not upset by anything you said.  And....to make you feel better.  I'm Mormon....so you're good to go on the not hurting a muslim. 

Posted By: liyala
Date Posted: 20 February 2006 at 7:14pm

the documentary on discovery, does anyone know if it's going to be re-broadcasted? could we request another broadcast on the regular cable?

-------------
liyal.a

Date Posted: 20 February 2006 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by liyala liyala wrote:

the documentary on discovery, does anyone know if it's going to be re-broadcasted? could we request another broadcast on the regular cable?

They show it every so often. The next time I see it scheduled I post the times. I think you can order any of their programs on DVD or video. I can find out. They actually show a lot of interesting programs about the Middle East and Islam.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 February 2006 at 7:26am

The Discovery Channel and its affiliates often let you purchase programs and you can search for listing times on their website.

http://dsc.discovery.com/ - http://dsc.discovery.com/

The Name of the Show is Women in the Holy Kingdom.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net