Print Page | Close Window

Chocolate, I love it and hate it!!

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3616
Printed Date: 06 October 2024 at 3:51am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Chocolate, I love it and hate it!!
Posted By: Jenni
Subject: Chocolate, I love it and hate it!!
Date Posted: 07 February 2006 at 9:31pm

Salaam all, I would like to ask all you sisters if you share one of my love hate relationships with chocolate? I love it, then I hate it. Why you ask? Well I get a craving for it after banning it from my home for a few weeks. Then I think while shopping at the market"Hey, I'm a perfectly rational adult, why can't I have chocolate in my house? I'll just buy some and eat a little at a time, after all chocolate is good for me, full of antioxidants." Then the evil stuff makes its way home with me and calls me from the pantry. I try to ignore it, but I know its there and I really want to eat it. So I give in and eat just a little, tonight is was some hersheys dark miniatures. One or two. But I am not satisified so I go back for more, just a few more. After gobbling up 7 or 8 mini bars I am now wired and sick to my stomach. All the caffine will keep me up late and I HATE CHOCOLATE AGAIN!!! It is now banned from my house again, at least for now.

p.s.(this is meant for humor and I am making fun of myself, so please don't turn it in to a religous matter. This post is meant to make you smile only)

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Replies:
Posted By: Khadija1021
Date Posted: 08 February 2006 at 12:45am

Assalamu Alaikum

Sister Jenni, I can completely relate.  However, I have found that more expensive brands of chocolate are more satisfying so I don't tend to eat as much.  Yes, cheap chocolate leaves me wanting.  So, if I go to the nice littel chocolate shop up the street and buy only a couple of pieces of better quality chocolate; I'm a lot happier and can keep the "love" in my relationship with chocolate.  Also, don't forget that the benefits only come with eating the dark chocolate. 

Sometimes in order to get my chocolate fix, I simply add coco to my coffee in the morning.  I know it sound a bit crazy but it is actually very good especially if you add a bit of cinnamon to it too.  I don't drink coffee every day and I never drink more than a cup so I don't feel so guilt adding some coco to it when I do.

Oh, and btw, I simply don't get people who don't like chocolate...LOL  I call coco Allah's natural antidepressant. 

Allah Hafiz,

Sister Khadija

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 08 February 2006 at 5:20am

Assalamu alaikum,

Ah, chocolate....my relationship with it is l love it, I love it (even when I over indulge I tend to hate myself, not the chocolate  ).  I remember reading a survey once that said most women surveyed prefered chocolate to sex, tee hee  !!!  Really, it is rare to find a woman who does not at least like chocolate, most LOVE it..

I am all for healthy eating, and I firmly believe that chocolate is definitely a part of a good, healthy diet .  Of course, as with everything else, moderation is the key - except of course during that time of the month when hormones rage and demand chocolate in payment for sanity , a few extra pounds is little price to pay for such lovely piece of mind.....

Besides, if you eat your chocolate while going for your daily walk...you can "have your cake and eat it too"  .

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 08 February 2006 at 6:54am

Bismillah,

There's a great special about the origins of chocolate on PBS.  The Aztec ruler was the only one allowed to have the special drink they prepared from it, and his servants used to pour it from one container to another to get it to be frothy on top. 

Don't you feel special now?  The food of kings is ours!

Khadija and Jenni, Naw, I love the cheap stuff whereas the expensive stuff gives me a stomachache.  I think thinking about the price must overwhelm me!  But really, I'm into VOLUME, not quality!  Hee Hee.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 08 February 2006 at 7:34am

I once read a study where chocolate has a chemical in it that we crave at certain times of the month.  It triggers hormones and endorphines that create a physical reaction.  http://www.islamicity.com/forum/javascript%20add_smilie":hyper:"'>hyper.gif

However, it also causes craps to be worse.  http://www.islamicity.com/forum/javascript%20add_smilie":cray:"'>cray.gif

But, being born in Pennsylvania....Hershey Park baby....Disney with CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.islamicity.com/forum/javascript%20add_smilie":thumbsup:"'>thumbsupsmileyanim.gifhttp://www.islamicity.com/forum/javascript%20add_smilie":thumbsup:"'>thumbsupsmileyanim.gifhttp://www.islamicity.com/forum/javascript%20add_smilie":thumbsup:"'>thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Date Posted: 08 February 2006 at 9:44am
How about combining chocolate with something like cake, like a dark chocolate triple layer cake with fudge icing. Or chocolate cheesecake, or chocolate covered almonds, espresso beans, or even pretzels. Ahhh the list goes on and on, I do know that chocolate raises seretonin levels which are often lower in women, so maybe thats why we love it more them men!!!

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Posted By: mariam
Date Posted: 08 February 2006 at 3:53pm
Asalam alykum

OHHHHHH i could do with some chocolate right now...after an argument with hubby..

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 08 February 2006 at 10:40pm

I miss my hot chocolate

I used to when I was studying library, grab a big hot chocolate every morning part of my breakkie, sip it on the way to school as it was hot, hence hot chocolate  , and then drink while in morning class  

This hot chocolate was made with a difference, can't remember the brand of chocolate but is yummie, but everything was chocolate, the milk was chocolate, the froth was chocolate and then the powdered chocolate on top -YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

At christmas mum got me these delux Lint chocolate, so yummie

I also love choc covered almonds

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Posted By: Mishmish
Date Posted: 09 February 2006 at 8:10am

I REALLY love chocolate and lately have started eating the really dark chocolates that are at least 70% cocoa.

That yummy happy feeling is serotonin, the body's feel-good chemical and chocolate releases it. The more cocoa, the happier you feel...

Maybe our cravings for choclate at "that time" is a way to protect everyone around us. We eat the chocolate and instantly get happy.

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:53am
Chocolate is a major food group in my estimation.

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: firewall3
Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 12:23am
just now on TV, the gynae said if you want baby boys -- try eating more seafood. while of you want baby girls, try eating more chocolates! apparently, the sperm, which has XY chromosome, the Y-chromosome strives better in alchaline environment, while the X stands better in acidic. chocolates can help the acidic level.

of course you should do this just before conception.

as a woman, i don't eat chocolates much, sorry. i love it on ocassions still.

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 7:17am
See, we were born to love chocolate!!!!!! It's in our pre-genes.

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 9:50pm

Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Chocolate is a major food group in my estimation.

my Godmother's sentiments to

I good go for some chocolate cake right now with choc icing of course  but I'll have to settle for a walnut/fruit bun

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 10:00pm

To all the chocolate lovers, some very very bad news    (  )

In rare flop, Starbucks scraps chocolate drink

Fri Feb 10, 1:01 PM ET

Starbucks Corp. (Nasdaq:SBUX - news) on Friday said it would stop selling Chantico, a rich chocolate drink introduced with much fanfare last year, because it was not adaptable to different customer tastes.

In a rare flop for the fast-growing No. 1 coffee shop chain, Chantico was pulled from Starbucks' menu in January, a year after its introduction, spokesman Alan Hilowitz said.

Described as "a drinkable dessert," Chantico resembled the thick, sweet hot chocolate found in European cafes but was only available without any variations in a 6-ounce size.

In the end, that limitation irked customers who are used to dictating not only the size of their lattes and cappuccinos, but also whether they want regular or decaf coffee, non-fat, whole or soy milk, sugar-free or regular flavor shots, and even extras like whipped cream and caramel.

"It was something that customers did like, but they wanted to be able to do something else with it," Hilowitz said. "We wanted to go back and give customers what they are looking for."

The chain is testing other kinds of chocolate beverages and food offerings, Hilowitz said, but added that they were unlikely to resemble the now-defunct Chantico.

"I wouldn't say (it will be) a replacement for or a Chantico-like product," Hilowitz said. "I'd say kind of the next evolution of what an indulgent product would be at Starbucks."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060210/bs_nm/leisure_starbucks_chantico_dc - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060210/bs_nm/leisure_starbucks_ chantico_dc

-------------

Posted By: Abeer23
Date Posted: 10 February 2006 at 10:18pm

Originally posted by firewall3 firewall3 wrote:

just now on TV, the gynae said if you want baby boys -- try eating more seafood. while of you want baby girls, try eating more chocolates! apparently, the sperm, which has XY chromosome, the Y-chromosome strives better in alchaline environment, while the X stands better in acidic. chocolates can help the acidic level.

Wow firewall.  I'll have to tell my sister-in-law to start eating seafood.  My brother wants 10 sons, and so far he's only got one son and two daughters.  Thanks for the tip.  If it doesn't work for them, I'll just say I got the idea from one of my cyber sisters (just kidding).

Salaam

Date Posted: 11 February 2006 at 7:55am

Bismillah,

Give up mayonaisse, but never chocolate!

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 11 February 2006 at 1:20pm
Well I find it funny about concieving and chocolate.  But abeer23 it is up to Allah, so tell your brother in law not to get his hopes up. If he only wants sons he might get 10 daughters!! Then he will have to buy chocolate, among other things for all his girls!

-------------

Posted By: Ketchup
Date Posted: 12 February 2006 at 1:13pm

Originally posted by firewall3 firewall3 wrote:

YES!  They say a high potassium diet can increase the chances of having a boy.... I dont know what you are allowed to eat but. eggs, milk and products,  meat and green vegetables are the key so they say.. studies I've been told about suggest that poor diets are more likely to result in girls.. I'm not a scientist so I wouldnt know but green veg seems to be the key..

As for chocolate... LINDT RULES!  The 70% coccoa is great, any one tried the 80%?  It has you bouncing off the walls.

Posted By: Abeer23
Date Posted: 12 February 2006 at 7:38pm

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Well I find it funny about concieving and chocolate.  But abeer23 it is up to Allah, so tell your brother in law not to get his hopes up. If he only wants sons he might get 10 daughters!! Then he will have to buy chocolate, among other things for all his girls!

LOL,

Date Posted: 14 February 2006 at 10:43pm

An article I found

My friend the chocolate cake

February 14, 2006

< =1.1>
Aunty Pam's Chocolate Cake

Photo: Marina Oliphant

Recipes, particularly chocolate cake recipes, are a sweet kind of social glue, writes Leanne Tolra.

CHOCOLATE cake recipe is only as good as the last person who baked it. Have you ever tasted a dud and then wanted the recipe? If you asked for it, it was probably out of politeness. It's unlikely you baked it to see if you could do a better job.

But a well-cooked chocolate cake is one of those recipes people always request, either continuing a chain of sharing, or creating a new one.

Recipe books often begin the chain, but such origins are quickly lost as the recipe is handed from friend to friend or colleague to colleague and takes on a new guise, with the credit usually going to the person who baked it last.

My friend Sue Gore makes a chocolate cake to a recipe from her friend Simone Boileau.

Sue and Simone met when their children were babies, and each member of their "mothers' group" has been given a copy of "Aunty Pam's" chocolate cake.

"Aunty Pam was a Colac girl," says Simone. "She was always one of the most extraordinary cooks I knew, especially when it came to baking."

"I used to cook for a living but I really only started baking things like that again 11 years ago, when I had my children.

"I often have a new favourite, but this recipe never goes out of my repertoire."

Aunty Pam's is an old-fashioned chocolate cake, not a sponge or a mudcake. It has a light, fine texture and is milky, slightly fluffy and quite sweet. The recipe is a simple one that uses vinegar to sour the milk, bicarb soda and half a cup of cocoa. Everything can be mixed in a single bowl and is then easily poured into tins.

In 20cm-diameter tins it makes two flattish cakes, ideal for filling with cream and topping with an easy cocoa and milk icing (smaller tins will result in a taller cake). Sue covers it with strawberries and dusts the top with icing sugar. Simone made it in an Australia-shaped tin for an Australia Day celebration this year.

She says the recipe was shared among other friends too, always as "Aunty Pam's", because Simone was taught that was the polite way to pass on such recipes.

Aunty Pam - Pam Hannan of Glen Waverley - doesn't take the credit for "her" cake either. "It's a lovely recipe," she says. "It's very simple, you just beat everything up. It's popular with adults and children too. But it's not my recipe, I got it from my sister, Jan White."

A colleague at The Age was the link to a recipe from Melbourne singer and Triple J radio personality Rebecca Barnard.

Rebecca calls it Valerie's Chocolate Cake and says it comes from "a very old family friend".

"Valerie was someone I had known all my life, I grew up with her children and she was an incredibly good cook," says Rebecca. "She was the most sophisticated cook in our suburb in the late '50s and early '60s. She made things like eggplant chutney that were very exotic in those days.

"When I first got the recipe, which has yoghurt in it, it was long before anyone was putting yoghurt in cakes. It's quite a simple recipe. You can put it all in a blender and it has a special, really yummy icing that uses melted chocolate and vanilla essence."

Rebecca, who has a segment on Triple J, has featured the recipe on her radio program and also when she had a segment on radio 3RRR years ago. She says it was very popular.

Mixing Valerie's chocolate cake in a blender is a good suggestion, but the blender will need an industrial-strength motor for the job.

The resulting batter is dense and thick and needs to be coerced into a baking tin. The cake is bulky and moist, with a slight yoghurt tang and a heavy, satisfying texture.

When Rebecca sent in the recipe, her accompanying note said: "This cake looks best if iced all over. Square looks really good too. Valerie made a big square and then the same cake in a smaller, square tin, put it on top, iced the whole thing and put a beautiful ribbon at the base of the small one."

Sharing a recipe is one those intangible, feel-good things about food that binds people together. It creates memories that are built on and shared again, each time the recipe is repeated.

My recipe books are filled with recipes from long ago, and I've named them after the people who shared them with me: there's Jo's Healthy Slice, Greg's Thai Pumpkin Soup, Janette's Lemon Cheesecake and Carol's Apple Slice. When I use the recipes I think about the person who gave them to me and the time we shared that particular dish.

I've shared one particular chocolate cake many times. It's my family's favourite and whenever I've made it for a birthday, dinner party or a morning tea, I've been asked for the recipe. I keep a copy on my computer now, to print out or email to friends.

It's rich, dense and slightly fudgy, but not as cloying as mudcake. Made with ground almonds and whipped egg whites, there's a lightness to it that contrasts with the dark, luscious chocolate. It's fantastic warm, dusted with icing sugar, or cold and firm a day later.

Although I've passed it on countless times (never giving it my own name), the recipe came from Jill Dupleix's New Food (William Heinemann, 1994).

Dupleix has admitted many times to having used, and fiddled with, a recipe first published in a slightly different form by Elizabeth David as a Chocolate and Almond Cake in French Provincial Cooking (Penguin, Middlesex, 1970).

In 50 Fabulous Chocolate Cakes (Anne O'Donovan, 1995), produced in association with The Age, Dupleix says she has felt protective of the recipe since first trying it.

"I have made it a hundred times and adored it every time ... I hoard it jealously and serve only thin slices of it at the end of dinner."

There are a couple of steps involved that are not difficult, but some cooks find them a challenge. One friend wondered why it didn't work when she used low-quality eating chocolate, rather than couverture chocolate; another met with failure because she "didn't have enough time" to beat the egg yolks in individually.

It usually falls slightly in the centre and looks rather ungainly, no matter how careful I am. But a friend once made it with "very large eggs" and although it wasn't quite as dense as my usual "flops", it looked absolutely perfect (and tasted divine).

I have tried it since, with the largest eggs I could find, and the result was a more even shape, but it was a different creature to the one Dupleix describes as "a funny-looking, misshapen brown sort of cake".

I don't think I'll fiddle with quantities or egg sizes again; in a sense, it's "my" cake and I don't care if it doesn't look perfect. It hasn't bothered anyone who asked me for the recipe. Or were they being polite?

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp vinegar
1 cup milk
11/2 cups plain flour
pinch salt
1/2 cup cocoa
11/2 tsp bicarb soda
11/4 cups castor sugar
185g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, lightly beaten

METHOD

- Grease and line the base of two tins*. Heat oven to 180C.

- Sour the milk by adding vinegar. Stir and put aside.

- Sift flour, salt, cocoa, bicarb soda and sugar into a bowl.

- Pour in melted butter and half of the soured milk and beat for 3 minutes with a hand-held mixer.

- Add vanilla, the rest of the milk and eggs and beat for 2 minutes.

- Pour into two tins and bake for 35 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes and turn out to cool.

Icing recipe

Aunty Pam's recipe does not specify an icing. This is the one our food stylist, Caroline Velik, used when making the cake for the photograph.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup Dutch cocoa
1 tbsp butter, melted in 1/2 cup boiling water

METHOD

- Sift icing sugar and cocoa. Add water-butter gradually, mixing well, until desired consistency is reached.

* NOTE: We tested this recipe in both 18cm and 20cm tins. Use whatever you have, but keep an eye on the cooking time.

Valerie's Chocolate Cake

INGREDIENTS
13/4 cups SR flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp bicarb soda
125g butter, melted
2 eggs
1 cup natural yoghurt (Greek-style is good)

METHOD

- Heat oven to 180C.

- Mix dry ingredients together then add butter, eggs and yoghurt (either in food processor or by hand) and mix until smooth.

- Pour into round or square cake tin* and bake about 50 mins.

Icing

INGREDIENTS
150g cooking chocolate
1/2 cup icing sugar
11/2 tbsp butter
3 drops vanilla essence

METHOD

- Melt chocolate carefully over hot water.

- Cream butter and icing sugar, add vanilla and melted chocolate.

NOTE: We tested the recipe in a 20cm square tin. For the two-layer version of this cake (pictured), we doubled the recipe, and put the mixture into 23cm and 16cm square tins.

Jill Dupleix's 'Incredibly Wonderful Chocolate Cake'

INGREDIENTS
250g dark, bitter cooking chocolate
150g castor sugar
150g butter
100g ground almonds
5 free-range eggs, separated
icing sugar

METHOD

- Heat oven to 180C. Melt chocolate, sugar and butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water.

- Remove from heat, stir thoroughly to combine, mix in ground almonds, then beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.

- Beat egg whites until stiff and peaked, and stir a couple of spoonfuls into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, before gently folding in the rest.

- Turn into a buttered and floured 20cm round tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

- Leave to cool before removing from tin.

- Dust with icing sugar to serve.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 February 2006 at 3:16am
Thats cruel Angela!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Alwardah
Date Posted: 15 February 2006 at 11:11am

Chocolate � my first love yummy yummy

Doctors say it is bad for migraine sufferers � triggers an attack.

When I have one of my attacks, chocolates are my comforter. They stop the vomiting that accompanies the attacks. What do doctors know?

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)

Date Posted: 15 February 2006 at 11:18am

Is there an actual proven link between migraines and chocolate?  Or is this something the quacks cooked up to stop us having a good time?

I was reading somewhere earlier about this 4.5kg tolberone, (the chocolate that hurts) does anyone know if this is true or some cruel consiracy...

Date Posted: 15 February 2006 at 6:35pm

Originally posted by Ketchup Ketchup wrote:

I think you mean, Angel

-------------

Date Posted: 15 February 2006 at 6:40pm

Is there an actual proven link between migraines and chocolate?  Or is this something the quacks cooked up to stop us having a good time?

No, there is something, cannot remember now, probably the caffine. But it has been mentioned to refrain from the three C's = chocolate, caffine and cheese. Although I don't think a little of one, not all, is ok.  

-------------

Date Posted: 15 February 2006 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

I think you mean, Angel

ha ha, sorry about that.. breakfast time brought about my reaction over your recipe... i nearly licked my screen...

Date Posted: 15 February 2006 at 11:07pm

I think you mean, Angel

ha ha, sorry about that.. breakfast time brought about my reaction over your recipe... i nearly licked my screen...

no worries.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 8:34am

It's weird that the doctors tell you to avoid caffeine with your migraines, I get them too, but most migraine specific medications have lots of caffeine.

Whenever I get a migraine I have to lay in a dark, cold room. I do drink soda and the caffeine seems to help.

Speaking of bad chocolate, I have become addicted to Nutella. A friend brought some back from Morocco for us and I have been eating it ever since. It's pure fat, and I can hear my arteries hardening everytime I eat it, but it's SO good.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

It's weird that the doctors tell you to avoid caffeine with your migraines, I get them too, but most migraine specific medications have lots of caffeine.

Caffine is used in pain killers to speed up the reaction... it's found in most over the counter pain killers these days.

-------------
"The days followed one another patiently. Right back at the beginning of the multiverse they had tried all passing at the same time, and it hadn't worked."

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 10:48am
< name=sas =http://clk.about.com/ method=get>  < style>#gh,#site{display:none} < id=wg border=0 name=wg marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://z.about.com/6/o/cw.htm?gs=altmedicine&ziRfw=1" Border=0 width=611 scrolling=no height=130> < =text/>if(z336>0){w('
'+ap[0]+at[4]+as[0]);adunit('','','about.com',ch,gs,336,280,'2','bb',3);w('
')}

Advertisement

< id=bb border=0 name=bb marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://N479ad.doubleclick.net/adi/abt.health/health_altmedicine;svc=;site=altmedicine;t=2;bt=1;bts=1;pc=1;fd=1;fs=1;sp2=0;gr=http%3A//altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/migrainediet.htm;go=9;a=;sbj=pid284;kw=;chan=health;syn=about;tile=3;r=1;u=2mcdf2311p4otr;dcopt=ist;sz=336x280;ord=262GImZ0COkWA1Y2n806" Border=0 width=336 scrolling=no height=280>

Migraine Elimination Diet

Why do people follow this diet?
Some people with migraine may be sensitive to certain chemicals that occur naturally in foods. The chemicals that most commonly trigger migraines are tyramine and other amines, including phenylethylamine and histamine. Amines can trigger migraines because they are vasoactive substances that act directly on small blood vessels to expand their capacity.

Foods that contain tannins, compounds that occur naturally in plants, can also trigger migraines. Researchers are not certain what the exact relationship is, but many agree that the neurotransmitter serotonin is involved.

Do I stay on this diet permanently?
No. The migraine elimination diet is a testing diet. It is unrealistic to permanently eliminate these foods from the diet. <>zSB(3,3);if(!z336){var zIsb=gEI("adsb");if(zIsb){zIsb.style.display="inline";zIsb.s tyle.height="0px";zIsb.style.width="0px";}var zIss=gEI("adss");if(zIss){zIss.style.display="inline";zIss.s tyle.height="0px";zIss.style.width="0px";}}
After learning what the offending food groups are, additional testing can be done with different quantities to learn how much of each food will cause symptoms. This way, a person will know what their limits are and still be able to enjoy eating these foods.

What are the guidelines of this diet?
Foods that are known to trigger migraines are systematically eliminated to identify offending food groups. Each food group is avoided for six weeks, or long enough to see if it causes an improvement in migraine symptoms.

Step 1: Eliminate amine foods
Tyramine is a chemical called a monoamine that is found in higher concentrations in foods that have been fermented, such as aged cheddar, red wines, and blue cheese. American and cottage cheese can be substituted. Foods containing tyramine include:
  • Aged Cheeses
  • Yogurt, buttermilk, sour cream, dried milk
  • Tofu, soy sauce, miso, tempeh
  • Smoked, cured, or pickled fish or meat
  • Beer, wine
  • Lima beans, Italian beans, lentils, navy beans, pinto beans, fava beans, broad beans
  • Snow peas
  • Peanuts
  • Eggplant
  • Sauerkraut
  • Oranges, citrus fruit
  • Cola drinks
  • Banana
  • Grapes, Raisins
  • Plums, Prunes, or Figs
  • Pineapple
  • Avocado
  • Chocolate
In addition to tyramine, foods containing the chemical phenylethylamine should also be eliminated. These foods include:
  • Cheesecake
  • Yellow cheeses
  • Chocolate
  • Citrus fruit
  • Alcohol/Red Wine
  • Chocolate
  • Cocoa
  • Berry pie filling or canned berries
  • Red wine
Foods that containe histamine or cause the release of histamine should be eliminated. These include:
  • Banana
  • Beef, pork (can eat lamb or chicken instead, these are safe foods for most people)
  • Beer
  • Cheese, especially yellow ripened
  • Chicken liver
  • Egg Plant
  • Fish, shellfish
  • Processed meat, such as salami
  • Sauerkraut
  • Soy, tempeh, tofu, miso, tamari
  • Spinach
  • Strawberry
  • Tomato, tomato sauce, tomato paste
  • Wine
  • Yeast and foods containing yeast
  • Pineapple
  • Citrus fruit
  • Chocolate
Step 2: Eliminate food additives
Some people react to the food additives such as artificial sweeteners, flavor enhances, and food coloring found in processed and packaged fast foods. These foods include:
  • Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is sometimes added as a flavor enhancer in Chinese dishes. It is also found in commercial soups, soy sauce, salad dressings, frozen dinners, soup mix, croutons, stuffing, and some chips. It is also disguised in the label as sodium caseinate, hydrolyzed proteins, or autolyzed yeast.
  • Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners can trigger migraines in some people.
  • Food coloring, especially FD&C yellow dye #5 and red dye #40, are known to trigger migraines in some people. Check labels, as both are found in common foods such as beverages, ice cream, candy, and some cereals.
  • Nitrites and nitrates are found in bacon, luncheon meats, smoked ham, and hot dogs.
Step 3: Eliminate foods that contain tannin
  • Bruised fruits
  • Red skinned apples and pears
  • Berries, cherries
  • Tea and coffee
  • Alfalfa
  • Barley
  • Chocolate
  • Nuts
  • Apple Juice, Apple Cider
  • Beer
  • Grape Juice
  • Wine
  • Black and Red Beans
  • Apricots, ripe bananas, unripe peaches
  • Kiwi
  • Persimmons, pomegranates, dates, currants, nectarines
  • Eggplant
  • Smoked meats
  • Most herbs
Step 4: Eliminate or reduce caffeine
Although some people find that coffee helps migraines by constricting blood vessels, the blood vessels can swell beyond their original size causing an even worse rebound headache. If using a decaffeinated coffee substitute, be sure to use one that has been Swiss water processed -- the chemicals that are used in the decaffeination process can trigger headaches.

In addition to coffee, tea and sodas containing caffeine should also be avoided.

Additional Testing
A person may have other food sensitivities that may be involved in migraine symptoms. A nutritionist or holistic practitioner can conduct complete testing and create a customized treatment plan.

http://altmedicine.about.com/gi/pages/mcopyrt.htm - Important disclaimer information about this About site.

<>function obL(a){if(a[0]!="Elsewhere on the Web"){var uc=(a[0]=="Related Resources"||a[0]=="Suggested Reading")?"18/19C":"18/19D";w("
"+a[0]+"

");var i=1;while(a){if(a[i+1].substring(0,26)=="http://video.about.com/gv/")a[i+1]="javascript:zpu('','http://clk.about.com/?zi=18/1K3&zu="+a[i+1] +"',470,450,'vp',(screen.width-470)/2,(screen.height-450)/2) " var p=(a[i+1].charAt(0)=='/')?"http://"+gs+".about.com":""; w(x2+p+a[i+1]+x1+' onClick="zT(this,\''+uc+'\')'+x1+'>'+a+'');i+=2;}w("

"+x6);}} if(this.zLb&5){if(this.zIoa1){obL(zIoa1);}if(this. zIoa2){obL(zIoa2);}if(this.zIoa3){obL(zIoa3);}}
<> zau(256,420,100,'ri','http://z.about.com/5/o/c.htm?gs='+gs,' ') < id=ri border=0 name=ri marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://z.about.com/5/o/c.htm?gs=altmedicine" Border=0 width=420 scrolling=no height=100>

< =text/>if(zbI&&zp[11].d){w('
');Dsp(zp[11],'ip');w('
')}if(zp[12].d){w('
');Dsp(zp[12],'ip');w('
')}if(zp[13].d){w('
');Dsp(zp[13],'ip');w('
')}

-------------

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 10:52am
This gives some idea why chocolate among other foods causes migranes. It is not from caffine, but from chemicals in the food that some are sensitive too. Some people get migranes from citrus foods or many other different foods. And elimination diet can help pinpoint it and by avoiding the offending food you can avoid most of the migranes. The other cause can be lack of sleep, stress or caffine withdrawel. That is if you drink large amounts of caffine and suddenly stop like during Ramadan you may get a bad migrane. It is the withdrawel of the caffine, not the caffine itself that causes the migraine.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 5:16pm
Jenni, your post, is there any food to eat  

-------------

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Ah, such is the world

Quote Speaking of bad chocolate, I have become addicted to Nutella. A friend brought some back from Morocco for us and I have been eating it ever since. It's pure fat, and I can hear my arteries hardening everytime I eat it, but it's SO good.

If you're in Australia, its freely on the supermarket shelves  Cadbury's has one and that is pretty good too

When I have nutella, its usually with a spoon by the spoonfull , not spread on bread

It's being promoted in Australia as a good source of energy of a morning for kids before school, so they don't loose their energy by first class. I think yeah ok, but its still a sweet what about the sugar content  It should be treated as a treat not a regular source of energy

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2006 at 10:19am

Bismillah,

Vitamin-filled chocolate.  Can this be yummy?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11453538/ - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11453538/

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2006 at 11:18am

Sister Herjihad:

My dream come true!!!!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2006 at 11:58am

Wow that's cool - vitamin filled chocolates

I need to put on weight- what better way

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)

Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 2:03pm
Chocolate may boost brain power

By Megan RauscherWed May 24, 2:35 PM ET

Chocolate lovers rejoice. A new study hints that eating milk chocolate may boost brain function.

"Chocolate contains many substances that act as stimulants, such as theobromine, phenethylamine, and caffeine," Dr. Bryan Raudenbush from Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia noted in comments to Reuters Health.

"These substances by themselves have previously been found to increase alertness and attention and what we have found is that by consuming chocolate you can get the stimulating effects, which then lead to increased mental performance."

To study the effects of various chocolate types on brain power, Raudenbush and colleagues had a group of volunteers consume, on four separate occasions, 85 grams of milk chocolate; 85 grams of dark chocolate; 85 grams of carob; and nothing (the control condition).

After a 15-minute digestive period, participants completed a variety of computer-based neuropsychological tests designed to assess cognitive performance including memory, attention span, reaction time, and problem solving.

"Composite scores for verbal and visual memory were significantly higher for milk chocolate than the other conditions," Raudenbush told Reuters Health. And consumption of milk and dark chocolate was associated with improved impulse control and reaction time.

Previous research has shown that some nutrients in food aid in glucose release and increased blood flow, which may augment cognitive performance. The current findings, said Raudenbush, "provide support for nutrient release via chocolate consumption to enhance cognitive performance."

Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 3:12pm

"Chocolate may boost brain power"

This explains why I'm a bloody genius...

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2006 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Chocolate may boost brain power

By Megan RauscherWed May 24, 2:35 PM ET

Chocolate lovers rejoice. A new study hints that eating milk chocolate may boost brain function.

"Chocolate contains many substances that act as stimulants, such as theobromine, phenethylamine, and caffeine," Dr. Bryan Raudenbush from Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia noted in comments to Reuters Health.

"These substances by themselves have previously been found to increase alertness and attention and what we have found is that by consuming chocolate you can get the stimulating effects, which then lead to increased mental performance."

To study the effects of various chocolate types on brain power, Raudenbush and colleagues had a group of volunteers consume, on four separate occasions, 85 grams of milk chocolate; 85 grams of dark chocolate; 85 grams of carob; and nothing (the control condition).

After a 15-minute digestive period, participants completed a variety of computer-based neuropsychological tests designed to assess cognitive performance including memory, attention span, reaction time, and problem solving.

"Composite scores for verbal and visual memory were significantly higher for milk chocolate than the other conditions," Raudenbush told Reuters Health. And consumption of milk and dark chocolate was associated with improved impulse control and reaction time.

Previous research has shown that some nutrients in food aid in glucose release and increased blood flow, which may augment cognitive performance. The current findings, said Raudenbush, "provide support for nutrient release via chocolate consumption to enhance cognitive performance."

Bismillah,

The "nothing" as the control in the study should have been a granola bar to be more accurate.  Maybe the folks were inattentive because they were hungry.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2006 at 7:13am
There's a saying, "if there is no chocolate in heaven, I ain't going", something like that anyway

-------------

Posted By: salman_s
Date Posted: 26 May 2006 at 7:40am

There's a saying, "if there is no chocolate in heaven, I ain't going", something like that anyway

in heaven there are dishes which are much sweeter than chocolate  however you get whatever you like there so if you wish for chocolates you will get it  

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 26 May 2006 at 9:38pm

Bismallah:

Will there be "fountains of chocolate" in Jennah? How about chocolate covered dates?

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Posted By: salman_s
Date Posted: 26 May 2006 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Maryah Maryah wrote:

Bismallah:

Will there be "fountains of chocolate" in Jennah? How about chocolate covered dates?

assalamualaikum sister Maryah

In Jannah you will get whatever you wish for, whatever .  May Allah grant us Jannatul Firdaus. Aameen.

Date Posted: 27 May 2006 at 12:58am

As Salamu Alaikum

Ameen to your duas brother Salman

Salams

-------------

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 27 May 2006 at 2:38am
Thumma Aameen!

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net