Print Page | Close Window

Is using grocery coupons Halal?

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4716
Printed Date: 06 October 2024 at 3:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is using grocery coupons Halal?
Posted By: mariyah
Subject: Is using grocery coupons Halal?
Date Posted: 04 May 2006 at 10:34pm

Salaams sisters:

Have another mind bender: I was having a conversation with one of the sisters at the masjid last friday after Jumma and a brother interrupted and stated that Using Grocery coupons is not halal because it is like earning interest and that is Haram..Anyone ever heard of this one?

I actually mispelled the brother when I first posted this as "bother" lol)

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Replies:
Posted By: Mishmish
Date Posted: 04 May 2006 at 11:58pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

How is using grocery coupons like earning interest? They are actually the same as money. There is no interest involved. You aren't earning a percentage of the savings, the manufacturer is paying the grocery store the amount of the coupon that you don't pay.

Often when I buy Islamic clothing or books online they give me coupons or certificates to get 10% or 15% off of my next order.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 05 May 2006 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Often when I buy Islamic clothing or books online they give me coupons or certificates to get 10% or 15% off of my next order.

Does that mean they earned 10% or 15% extra the first time?!

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Date Posted: 05 May 2006 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Maryah Maryah wrote:

Using Grocery coupons is halal because it is like earning interest and that is Halal..Anyone ever heard of this one?

Did you mean Haram?

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).

Posted By: fatima
Date Posted: 05 May 2006 at 4:39am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

Hadith of Ad-darqutni on the authority of Abu tha'labah, Sayyidina Muahammad (saw) said, 'Allah Azza wa Jal has imposed certain moral obligations, do not abolish them; He has forbidden certain things, do not indulge in them; He has laid down certain limits, do not transgress them, He is silent on certain matters, do not knowingly argue over them.

there is another hadith i have read in tafsir of ayaat of Haj rulings that when the Ayaah about performance of Haj was revealed and Sayyidina Muhammad (saw) was telling it to muslims that Haj is incumbent upon whoever can make a journey to the House of Lord, one of the sahabi (ra) got up and asked is it made obligatory every year for whoever can afford it, Sayyidina Muhammad (saw) did not answer but when was asked three times, He (saw) said once in life time and if i would have said yes it would have been very difficult for you so do not ask too many questions from your Prophet (saw) like people before you did,

it is also narrated in many places that Sayyidina Muhammad (saw) did not like it when sahabah (ra) asked too many questions bout matters which were left untouched by Allah swt and His Messenger (saw) as this leaves a lineant way for believers to follow and not make deen too hard on every one

wassalam 

-------------
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL

Date Posted: 05 May 2006 at 10:13am
Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Does that mean they earned 10% or 15% extra the first time?!

I'm thinking 20% to 30% the first time.....

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Date Posted: 07 May 2006 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Originally posted by Maryah Maryah wrote:

Using Grocery coupons is halal because it is like earning interest and that is Halal..Anyone ever heard of this one?

Did you mean Haram?

Yes LOL I was sleepy whe I posted that one!

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 08 May 2006 at 7:47pm
Is breathing haram? Just wondering.......... It seems we will go to no end in discussing what is haram and halal. Isn't this what the Jews did along time ago and made thier rules so complex that actually God became upset with them??

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 08 May 2006 at 8:08pm

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Is breathing haram? Just wondering.......... It seems we will go to no end in discussing what is haram and halal. Isn't this what the Jews did along time ago and made thier rules so complex that actually God became upset with them??

No sister, breathing is not haram, and neither is discussing it on the board, especially amongst sisters and friends, and I do believe Allah (swt) approves of us questioning things we do not understand, especially when someone interferes with a discussion of sisters outside a masjid and tell us we shouldn't do it. Should I go to a Christian clergyman or a Jewish Rabbi for such a question as this? I understand your concern in our questioning of this, one sister already gave us the hadith quoted above and that settled it. but Our Holy Book was revealed in a time when technology was different, it is amazing how it still applies to circumstances today. What is the use of this forum if we aren't inquisitive? Jazak'allah for the people who gave us this forum!

-------------

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 09 May 2006 at 4:24am

Bismillah,

Subhanna AllahulAtheem!  I guess that depends on if the air has pork grease smoke in it or not!  Yeah, I heard that somewhere that's what the disobedient Jews had done.  I think, wait it's coming to me... The Holy Quran told us that!

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 20 May 2006 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Bismillah,

Subhanna AllahulAtheem!  I guess that depends on if the air has pork grease smoke in it or not!  Yeah, I heard that somewhere that's what the disobedient Jews had done.  I think, wait it's coming to me... The Holy Quran told us that!

Now snorting pork smoke is haram!

-------------

Posted By: DavidC
Date Posted: 20 May 2006 at 5:19pm
In Christianity, it is stopping breathing that is "haram".

If we do that, God kills us almost instantly.

-------------
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.

Date Posted: 20 May 2006 at 10:11pm

Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

See, another thing our two religions have in common. I'm betting this is the case in the Jewish religion also.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2006 at 8:29am
I used this sarcasm to point out that we spend way too much time debating very small things and whether they are haram or not. Meanwhile the world is in shambles and women and children are really suffering all over. I wish people would get the big picture and stop focusing on minute small things that make being muslim harder and harder, and more complicated than ever. Lets talk about what we can do, what is good for a change. Like treating your wife kindly, being a good neighbor, giving your child a good education. It seems people here have little interest in those topics that are mentioned over and over in the Quran. Peace

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 21 May 2006 at 10:40am

Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

See, another thing our two religions have in common. I'm betting this is the case in the Jewish religion also.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 21 May 2006 at 10:41am

I used this sarcasm to point out that we spend way too much time debating very small things and whether they are haram or not. Meanwhile the world is in shambles and women and children are really suffering all over. I wish people would get the big picture and stop focusing on minute small things that make being muslim harder and harder, and more complicated than ever. Lets talk about what we can do, what is good for a change. Like treating your wife kindly, being a good neighbor, giving your child a good education. It seems people here have little interest in those topics that are mentioned over and over in the Quran. Peace

Bismillah,

Ameen!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2006 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Bismillah,

Ameen!

Argh enough! Lets close this Thread. By the way sister Jenni, I use the savings I get from coupons and send it to Small Kindness, the organization that helps Muslim orphans and widows, that is why I asked!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2006 at 7:57pm
Sister Maryah, its ok for you to ask.....Many Muslims have already asked this question numerous times to many scholars! It just shows that you fear Allah....

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2006 at 11:15am

amah, I guess those of us who want to do what is good and metioned in the Quran like being a good neighbor, parent and citizen don't fear Allah then. Hmmm

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2006 at 12:06pm

amah, I guess those of us who want to do what is good and metioned in the Quran like being a good neighbor, parent and citizen don't fear Allah then. Hmmm

Assalamu Alaikum Sisters:

I would say that since it is written in the Quran, you already know you need to do it , so you wouldn't have to ask. Just following what is written would be enough to show you fear Allah(SWT).

Salaams

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2006 at 7:13pm

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2006 at 7:28pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sister Maryah:

As a new Muslimah just ask whatever you want to. I know I did, and still do.  I made my Muslim friends crazy.    But if you don't ask, how will you know? There is no question that is too silly if you don't know the answer.

I remember asking how to fasten my hijab correctly, bathroom questions, just questions about everything and anything. I had to ask, I wasn't married to a Muslim and was starting out from scratch. It was all new to me, and I couldn't read fast enough to keep up with all of the questions. Besides, some of the stuff you want to know isn't written down in easily accessible books.

So, don't be shy or discouraged, just keep asking and someone will answer you..

Salaams.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2006 at 8:20pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sister Maryah:

As a new Muslimah just ask whatever you want to. I know I did, and still do.  I made my Muslim friends crazy.    But if you don't ask, how will you know? There is no question that is too silly if you don't know the answer.

I remember asking how to fasten my hijab correctly, bathroom questions, just questions about everything and anything. I had to ask, I wasn't married to a Muslim and was starting out from scratch. It was all new to me, and I couldn't read fast enough to keep up with all of the questions. Besides, some of the stuff you want to know isn't written down in easily accessible books.

So, don't be shy or discouraged, just keep asking and someone will answer you..

Salaams.

Thanks sis Mishmish!

And sorry to sr Jenni if I was harsh..but I found some posts grumpy.

-------------

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 23 May 2006 at 9:19am

Assalamu Alaikum!

Sister Maryah, I agree with what Sister Mishmish has said. Please ask questions until it becomes absolutely clear to you. And I pray to Allah that we succeed to answer your questions in the best possible way to avoid any confusion.

Jazak Allah Khair.

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Posted By: hakeema
Date Posted: 23 May 2006 at 9:46am

As-Salaam Alaikum,

Sister Maryah if hadn't asked that question you probably would've walked around believing that using coupons is haram.  There are some ignorant muslims on the planet so keep asking questions if something sounds strange to you. No matter how stupid it sounds.  Remember the saying: "No question is a stupid question."

Hakeema

Date Posted: 23 May 2006 at 10:16am
I am not upset with you Maryah, I am a convert too. I am frustrated at the lengths some Muslims go to point out what is haram and will go to any extreme to find a scholar that agrees with them. I will say what I have said before, Islam started as a simple religon. To teach people to follow Allah and be good. To pray, fast, be kind and have high morals and be charitable. The Quran is very clear on how to be a good Muslim. Now why to we go to GREAT trouble to debate every detail and continually find new things that we can make haram. I don't really think things like eating standing up or sitting down, covering your water or not, using silverwear or eating with your hands, sitting on the floor or on a chair,how you cut your watermelon, if you have short or long hair, what color you wear outside the house(some say you should only wear black or dark colors), ect ect matter at all.  We as Muslims are so bogged down in these things and not the things that are important!!!! As a new Muslim people told me all kinds of stuff was haram and my Husband told me to put on a filter and ignore people. That is what I have done and I figure it out myself, I try to find the answer that seems most reasonable and logical. Peace

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2006 at 9:42pm

I am not upset with you Maryah, I am a convert too. I am frustrated at the lengths some Muslims go to point out what is haram and will go to any extreme to find a scholar that agrees with them. I will say what I have said before, Islam started as a simple religon. To teach people to follow Allah and be good. To pray, fast, be kind and have high morals and be charitable. The Quran is very clear on how to be a good Muslim. Now why to we go to GREAT trouble to debate every detail and continually find new things that we can make haram. I don't really think things like eating standing up or sitting down, covering your water or not, using silverwear or eating with your hands, sitting on the floor or on a chair,how you cut your watermelon, if you have short or long hair, what color you wear outside the house(some say you should only wear black or dark colors), ect ect matter at all.  We as Muslims are so bogged down in these things and not the things that are important!!!! As a new Muslim people told me all kinds of stuff was haram and my Husband told me to put on a filter and ignore people. That is what I have done and I figure it out myself, I try to find the answer that seems most reasonable and logical. Peace

Love to you sis! I know what you mean, as I am left handed and am told to do all good things with my right hand! When I was young, they told me I could not write with my left hand, My mother fought them and won! Point well taken!

-------------

Posted By: Apex
Date Posted: 28 May 2006 at 2:19pm
The topic heading should be in the humor section....LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net