IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Did he betray me?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did he betray me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mowgli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 12:25pm
Salaam sisters,
proudmuslimah3, thank you for your concern. Shasta's Aunt, you were right, the reason I left him in the first place has not changed, and he has not stopped his destructive behaviour.

I wish I had left things as they were, now I am going through the same threats to kill himself, involve my family, quit his job etc that I have already been through once. Please pray for me sisters, that I can come through this quickly, and that he can insha'allah find peace within him to put this behind him and start afresh in his life. He is a man with a lot of turmoil in his life.

I have been doing tasbih for the whole day, in the hope that he will leave me alone, he has been calling me nonstop since yesterday, and I and his family are finding his behaviour and threats so so distressing. I really hope I have to strength to see this through, insha'allah!
mowgli View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mowgli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 12:27pm
PS I also wanted to say thank you again to Shasta's Aunt, you put a lot of things in perspective for me, which was what I needed, and you understood the feeling behind my original post. Salaams, and may Allah bless you and the other sisters for your kind words!
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 10:48pm
Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir Rajeem,
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Rahim

May Allah give you ease in your situation, and may He show the light of guidane to this brother who was your husband, ameen.

After having read the entire string for the frist time, few unrelated things came to mind. Hope you will not mind commenting on your string, since you have discussed this matter on a public forum.

I:  Khula rulings are very different from talaq. There is no second or third chance in a khula. You are technically divorced in the first time, and cannot get back with your ex- unless you marry someone else, consumate that marriage, then terminate it. It is like this in islam to make us all understand the sacredness and seriousness of a marriage contract.

II:  Having some experience with marriage can tell you that a marriage that is so young as 8 months old, has lots and lots of room for compromise and mending.  And, every marriage has a potential to work or break.
However, if one is living in a bad marriage, one has only two solutions and no third. One, you change yourself, your take at things, your attitude to life in short fix yourself - and if you cannot do this, then know that it is close to impossible to fix your partner. Two, walk out of this marriage.
There is no third alternative.

Since you have taken the second alternative, now be content with it and find a new life. Masha Allah you mentioned you are turning to Allah for help in His rememberance. May He grant light to your heart, and show you a new way.

III: Please forgive me if this sounds dry :- To my understanding I cannot comprehend your being hurt by your ex-husband's fling.
He was the one who was left, despite the fact that he did not want to be left. You were the one who walked out on him. So in the first place he is the one who should be hurt, and very hurt, dear sister - please try to understand this. A young man, whose wife of 8 months has walked out on him, should he not feel hurt and lonely, and inconfident, losing control on his life - doubting himself, his personality ??
To my understanding dear sister, you left this man weak, and someother woman took advantage of it.
We can blame people for acting the way they do, but we cannot blame them for feeling hurt, and his circumstances made him feel hurt.
I am not condoning his reaction, all what I say is that I did not see in your posts any allowance for his hurt.

All what you should have concern for is the reason for your leaving him. You did not leave him for his fling, you left him before the fling. If that reason is still there, that is all what should have mattered.

secondly,  after you left him, by your own choice, do you still want his feelings to be tied to you? if so why? if not, why are you hurt if he could not handle his hurt in a manner more poise than how he did? After you have left him, he can do whatever he wants with himself and his feelings ... is this not so? Why do you still want him to keep loving you the way he did when you were his wife? If this is not what you want, then why are you hurt?

thirdly, men dont love in the same way as women do. When a woman loves a man, he is the only person in her life. Men can love more than one - like it or not, this is how it is. They are allowed by Allah to marry more than one. We should not think they will love just one, but still have 3 other. They have the potential to love all 4 ...
Please don't think I am saying your ex loved this woman, I am only trying to bring this fact to your mind that love of a man towards a woman is not like that of a woman towards a man. Thus their expectations and our expectations are different.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 12:04am
Originally posted by mowgli mowgli wrote:

PS I also wanted to say thank you again to Shasta's Aunt, you put a lot of things in perspective for me, which was what I needed, and you understood the feeling behind my original post. Salaams, and may Allah bless you and the other sisters for your kind words!

Salaams Sister,

When I was younger I had a similar situation. It was so painful and confusing and all of the drama made me crazy. It wasn't until it was over and long past that I realized how lucky I was to have gotten out when I did.  Hindsight has amazing clarity and I am just sorry I wasted so much time on such a person.

I am sorry that your situation has worked out this way, but Insha'Allah you will get through it and one day you will look back like I do and wonder WHAT were you thinking...  You will Sister, trust me.

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Mystical View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mystical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 4:16am

Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

Khula rulings are very different from talaq. There is no second or third chance in a khula. You are technically divorced in the first time, and cannot get back with your ex- unless you marry someone else, consumate that marriage, then terminate it. It is like this in islam to make us all understand the sacredness and seriousness of a marriage contract

"sacredness" denotes this is from God. Why then is divorce permissible? It's insane that in order to remarry an ex-husband or wife (?) one has to first go through a sham of a marriage, consumate it then divorce spouse before it's okay in the eyes of Islam to marry the one you really want to marry? Makes absolutely no sense. How do woman feel about this, er, rule? and how this rule come about?

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2008 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Mystical Mystical wrote:

"sacredness" denotes this is from God. Why then is divorce permissible? It's insane that in order to remarry an ex-husband or wife (?) one has to first go through a sham of a marriage, consumate it then divorce spouse before it's okay in the eyes of Islam to marry the one you really want to marry? Makes absolutely no sense. How do woman feel about this, er, rule? and how this rule come about?

Hi there Mystical.

Yes Marriage is a sacred Institution, and in Islam. . . divorce is one of the things Allah likes the least. Does that make Divorce unpermissable . . .No. Because Allah knows that sometimes breaking up is necessary, inevitable and better for both parties. Thus by saying that divorce is disliked, what is meant is that it is the ultimate and last resort and couples are strongly encouraged to try and work things out before opting for Divorce.

That is why Divorce is permissable . . . sometimes, that is what is practical. Rather than forcing couples to stay together, hate each other, mess up the kids "until death do us part". They can release each other from a bad marriage during thier lifetime.

As for the part abt the woman having to marry/consumnate with another man before she can be remarried to the ex . . . heres the Islamic version:

The divorce between a couple occurs when either of them initiates it. HOWEVER both are still legally married, and bound in the contract for the next 3 (or perhaps 4, forgot) months/menstrual periods. They are not supposed to indulge in sexual activity though. The wisdom behind this 3/4 month period is to allow time for any possible pregnancy to show. AS WELL AS provide a mandatory period during which the couple may realize any folly, and decide to stay together. This provides an opportunity to make-up. If both decide to resume sexual relations, the divorce is void and they remain a couple. If they reconciliate, no new marriage contract is needed and they remain married. HOWEVER, they have lost ONE of thier chances to divorce. Thus this was the first warning.

If the SAME couple goes through a rough phase, and want a divorce AGAIN. They go through the same procedure . . .If they decide to go through the divorce, after the 3/4 mnth reconciliatory period, the marriage contract is null & void and they are free to marry someone else. If they AGAIN decide not to seperate and reconciliate AGAIN, they may do so during the 3/4mnth period without a new contract. After a divorce is finalized, they need to renew the marriage/nikah contract - with a NEW mahr/dowry. This time around, they have incurred a 2nd warning, and have lost thier 2nd chance to stay as a couple.

The entire episode can be repeated a THIRD time as well. AFTER the 3rd divorce of the same couple . . .Islam uses a no-nonsense and Stricter stance. This is the last chance, and the couple know that. If they DIVORCE this time . . .they shoould know that they will not be allowed to re-marry . . . because past patterns have shown this marriage has always been rocky from the start and has had 3 chances to work out. THUS. . . after a 3rd divorce between the same couple has taken place . . .they are NOT allowed to remarry. They have had 3 warnings to shape up before.

AFTER this . . . if during the natural course of time, they get married to someone else, and get widowed/break up again . . . THEN they may be allowed to remarry thier exes.  HOWEVER . . .I STRESS that this has to happen in a natural way, as in a proper marriage. If a sham marriage is contracted JUST so the parties can remarry thier exes. . . it is considered Haram or Unlawful or a Sin. And Allah does not hold sham marriages as legal . . .and thier 'consumnation' is considered Adultery in the eyes of Allah. The pure "Intention" to marry is considered a major point for a marriage to be legal in the eyes of Allah.

WHY? you ask . . .this is a 'punishment' for the couple for taking divorce and marriage lightly and making a mockery out of it. This is to ensure that couples THINK before they take any hasty action. It also prevents ppl from making marriage/divorce a mockery by divorcing and remarrying again and again and wasting thier own time and resources, and ALSO the State's.

Howver, it is pertinent to note that Islam is being more tha lenient by allowing the couple 3 chances to work things out between themselves. This is because Islam goes out of the way to ensure that a couple stay together hence gives them so many chances. Why is it that ppl often completely IGNORE the leninency that Islam shows before it decides to take a stricter approach. How many ppl do you think will go through 3 divorces with the same person in thier lifetime? It is an anomaly, but Islam still makes room for that.

You ask what women feel about it. I as a muslim woman and somewhat tepid feminist feel that Islam's divorce and family laws are refreshing . . . and almost ALWAYS are in the woman's favour. Due to my post already exceeding length I have not mentioned the privelgaes Women get during Divorces etc, but I can post them for you later if you want.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2008 at 12:39pm
Chrysalis, Very nice answer..

Yes we do have many rights.. its interesting when you look at is from other perspectives what we DO get.. the PERKS of being female Smile

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 7:42am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Yes we do have many rights.. its interesting when you look at is from other perspectives what we DO get.. the PERKS of being female Smile

Jazakallah.

It isnt easy being a female!!! But Islam is so considerate of the fact that Women have special needs. I love that about Islam. Infact, in MOST societies. . . being a woman is no laughing matter, it is Islam that gives us all the perks :)

For example, Islam puts all the burdens on the husband *yay* and Women don't have to work unless they WANT to. And the Islamic Motto for women "Whats mine is mine, and whats yours, some of it is mine too" hah. :p

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic