IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Today I became a Muslim! I think...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Today I became a Muslim! I think...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erotanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Today I became a Muslim! I think...
    Posted: 29 July 2005 at 7:20pm
About an hour ago I went online and was looking for some resources that I could travel to for some human assistance on the matter of Islam. I looked first online and came across the Muslim Community Mosque of Metropolitan Phoenix and called them on the telephone. A gentleman answered the phone and it was a bit hard to understand what he was saying because of the foggy telephone and his accent. I asked him if he knew of a place that I could to go study Islam and he told me all I needed to do was recite the shahada over the telephone and I am allowed to enter the womans section of the mosque. I listened closely to what he was saying because I had to repeat what he said in arabic. It was difficult because of the phone and I did not know if I was saying it correctly because I could not see him mouth. I thought I knew what the shahada is (There is no god but God, Muhammad is his prophet.). What I repeated over the telephone in arabic was much longer. Now I suppose I am going to the Mosque and I half to bring a sheet with me and they will give me something to cover my head with and they will teach me how to pray and help me. Well I am excited but I am scared. This is so new to me and I do not really know what to expect because I have never been in a Mosque before and I am so scared I will do something wrong or be disrespectful (without realizing it). I feel like I am doing the right thing. But at the same time I am frightened. I am also now thinking about my friends. Often times the things they say and do are bad things. Should I stay away from these people now?
Lehua View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lehua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:37pm

Masallah!!  Assalamu alaikum!

I am very happy for you.  The beginning is full of questions and discovery.  Don't worry about doing something wrong, the sisters you are with should know that you are new and learning.  In the beginning it can feel vey overwhelming, just remember the Koran was revealled over 23 years and you are only expected to do what you are capable of.  Allah(swt) knows what is in your heart and is Oft-Forgiving and Merciful.

In regards to your friends, begin with letting them know what is inapropriate behavior around you, i.e. lewd behavior, drinking, cursing, etc.  If they are a true friend they will respect your wishes and refrain from doing inapropriate things around you.  If you have to continue to remind them, distance yourself and let them come to you.  If they do not come, unfortunetly they were not as close as once presummed.  Insallah (God willing) your relationship with them will only become closer.  In my experiences, I have less total number of friends however the ones I do have are closer than most of my family (Muslim and Non-Muslim).

Lehua

erotanes View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erotanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:51pm
I will do my best not to stress too much about it. I am just very shy arround new people which I am sure will make it that much more difficult for me. Thank you for your support!
nadeem_aus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadeem_aus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:34pm

Congratulations Sister  Erotanes!  My advice, now that you have become a muslim is to take things slowly and learn little by little.  That way you will have a good understanding of the religion and its customs.

ZEA J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZEA  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 10:05pm
congratulations sister.

Edited by ZEA J
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 2:28am
ALLAHU AKBAR!! You're in my prayers and I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!
Insha Allah the mosque will soon feel like your home!!

Smile
amna_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amna_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 3:31am

Asslamualaikum

Alhumdolillah

We are so happy to have a new sister in Islam.Allahu Akbar. Inshallah Allah will help you to strengthen your faith.

May Allah shower His blessings unto you and may you be able steadfast in Islam.

La Illaha IllAllahu Muhammadu rasool Allah

Ma Salaam

Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. God is free of all wants and He is most forebearing. (Al baqra: 263)
erotanes View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erotanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 7:13am
Thank you all so much for your kind words! I am really excited. But now that I am a Muslim I have many questions about the life I have been living up to this point. How am I to behave? Am I allowed to attend my yoga classes anymore? How do I dress now? Where do I buy clothes now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic