IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Did he betray me?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did he betray me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 11:22pm

Is it bad I say I butt heads with God? I'm sorry its a figure of speech. But then again why am I sorry for what I feel?

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

I'm sorry this is one area within Islam God and I "butt heads" 

La hawla wala quwwatta illa billah - 'No just estimate have they made of Allah such as due to him....(39.67)�

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:54pm
"I am not saying every marriage where both husband and wife are working is a trouble marriage, but I am saying today the value and fulfilment one should receive in marriage is deteriorating, and this is because of the exchange or mixing of roles of man and woman in our society."

I'm inclined to disagree-atleast the issue of semantics. I wouldn't go to the extent as to say marriages are deterorating I would say marriages are changing but this depends on the geographical location. The breadwinner time has passed and very few families are practicing it. Muslim professionals both men and women are in the workforce doing their duties and still able to have a viable family. I don't think a woman going into the field where it is heavily populated by men must attain male characteristics. This is false. If it is true I'd like you to specify in which occupation (if not all) are women to act like this.

As you all know because of my background and where I live a woman at least until she is about to give birth to my child has to work until our lives are stable enough where one of us can stay home. As one male speaking for myself, I have high academic standards which will get me in areas where I'll be able to make a very, gvery, very good living. But if there are Muslim women still stuck on the "I'm gonna stay home you take care of me bit" then obviously I won't choose them. Islam is about balance but its also about being realistic. We all live in different parts of the world. Our environments at least economically may differ and you can't suggest someone to pack their things up and move to a smaller town especially when their lives have already been established-it's not that easy.

Me personally I think a woman has more economical freedom in the workforce than at home. She doesn't have the burden of living under a man who supports her with essentials when she can provide her own essentials. all marriages don't always last so its important for a woman to at least be financially stable herself if she isn't already this doesn't even take into account the educational aspect of it. I'm sorry this is one area within Islam God and I "butt heads" but God knows my reasons and I hope sincerely he doesn't fault me for thinking the way I do. It isn't about disobedience, it's about survival.

Edited by Israfil - 14 June 2008 at 7:55pm
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 1:25pm
It is also a point that I have seen is that the men work many, many hours to support their families, sa living expenses are high, and the spouses don't see each othe much. With the changes in technology, people are not working short hours by any means. They often do not have time to spend with wives or children for that matter.
Take for instance you live in US, in some areas you have to wrk alot not just to afford the basics, but let's say you wish your child to attend Islamic school rather than public school? Or you have parents or family elsewhere to support.

I agree with Abuatisha, we do need women to serve women. We need women teacher, health care providers etc.  Plus once the kids are in school, parent's time is different.  There is nothing that says they cannot each or help people in other ways.

One thing is that many men ARE working hard tp support families. And people still need to learn and have services provided. And some women have the means, time and talent.  For instance, I am teaching at the masjid summer camp. A good program for the kids for the summer.

I also think that women in the west who are at hope are quite isolated. Its  hard to get together, and have friends as people are more spread out. Not like all the people are around you are Muslim. And isolation is not healthy. many women suffer from depression. And we women tend to "think" too much so its good to be active and involved 

Un fortunately there are men who expect the women to  earn money and give it to them. Its fine if for srivival to happen. But men should not expect or push their wives to do so.

Islam is about living in balance.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

In response to " there is nothing wrong with women working if they want to "  Sisters, please consider ... our society has a divine set up. That was for the man to be the breadwinner, and woman the homemaker. When the roles are crossed, exchanged or shared there is something wrong with that - we like it or not. When women enter the workforce with men, they are forced to acquire qualities which are not contingent to her feminine nature.  This affects the set-up of a family, which is at the unit level of our society.   

There is much truth to this statement as a general rule, however I don't believe the issue is so black and white.  How many of us are thrilled and overjoyed when able to find a female ob/gyn and not suffer the indignity of males fulling this role?  The islamic society as well as families are in need of women for not just homemaker roles.  Likewise, families would also benefit from more men taking an active role in homemaking chores. And Allah Knows Best.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 8:41am
Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir Rajeem,
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Rahim,

Chrysalis, perhaps you would care to add police force in your list of duties where women are few Smile

Since the string is being side tracked why not I just add a few points to that flow ...

In response to " there is nothing wrong with women working if they want to "  Sisters, please consider ... our society has a divine set up. That was for the man to be the breadwinner, and woman the homemaker. When the roles are crossed, exchanged or shared there is something wrong with that - we like it or not. When women enter the workforce with men, they are forced to acquire qualities which are not contingent to her feminine nature.  This affects the set-up of a family, which is at the unit level of our society. A woman who is (highly) qualified and is earning, holds a same or similar position as her husband in work force, is meant to be very independent in her thinking - this surely has an impact on married life, which in turn has an impact on children that is not always healthy.

I am not saying every marriage where both husband and wife are working is a trouble marriage, but I am saying today the value and fulfilment one should receive in marriage is deteriorating, and this is because of the exchange or mixing of roles of man and woman in our society.

Brothers, please, please, if you are able to, do not encourage or expect your wives to go out and "earn" for the family. There is nothing wrong in having a business, or a source of income for a woman, which is solely hers' but her primary role is that of "your follower" in the institution of marriage, where you are the head and the " leader of your flock". A wife is complementary to her husband, she is not his "equal". Any set-up that makes her compromise her feminity, will have an affect on the tranquility of marriage. So be the breadwinner, and make your flock give you the honor and respect you must receive for doing so. This is important for your happiness, and that of your wives and children.  If you think you cannot maintain a standard of living you want to on a single income, then have trust in Allah, and do with less, till He opens ways of provision for you, but it is not a very good idea to meet a certain standards or living on a shared income. It will not be a source of happiness and tranquility in married life. Trust me, there are 101 problems when both are working, but life is too short, and in such a busy schedule - stressfull set-up you wont get the time to smell the roses.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 5:49pm
Chrysallis you brought up a good point. Not to derail the topic at hand but sometimes a woman (and man) are compelled to work based off of societal circumstances.

I sometimes constantly remind people that society isn't how it was in 500 A.D. Even if you don't live in luxury sometimes its hard getting byb, like I said all of which are dependent upon one's arrangement.

Edited by Israfil - 13 June 2008 at 5:49pm
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 1:50am
Salaams Sisters:

You have only to go to KIVA to see Muslim women from all over the world applying for microloans to help them with their small businesses. Many of these women are the sole breadwinners, even when married, and there are a large number from Pakistan.

While you are there you might ponder joining in. The loans are interest-free and once repaid you can loan the money again.

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 13 June 2008 at 1:52am
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic