IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sisters read this!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sisters read this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 8:05am

Kim, quite true.

Israfil,

Quote why would a male choose that line of profession? Well the most noblest answer would be to better understand the human anatomy and to better advance the human condition.

Well, yes but in a not so long destint past being a doctor of any sorts was basically male and its only recently that women are in areas where once it was just men, I think even now women doctors have a hard time getting past this fratenity of men.

I personally think OB/GYN should be left to women

you ask:

Quote is there something I as a man cannot comprehend....?

oh sure, there is, you as a man and other men do not know what a woman goes thru what she feels

Quote The knowledge of a female gynecologist and male gynecologist are the same. The go through the same schooling and practice in the same field. Their only difference is perhaps the salary and their sex.

Well, yes and you say the knowledge of a female gynecologist and male gyneocologist are the same, physically yes but a woman does have an advantage over a male somewhat  

Women understand women better on an emotional and intutive level this is where and what women want most of all, but I will admit that some women can be rough as Kim mentioned and in my experience women some, don't understand another because they do not have or go thru the same as the other woman.

I often think I perfer a woman examining me but honestly I would just want a doctor that is sensitive and gentle towards me. and also up with the world and the advance in the medical profession.

Ummmziba,

Quote I know, in the west, females are used to male ob/gyn's, but that doesn't make it right. 

Usually that is through no fault of their own but because of the male domination of this area and hardly women ob/gyn that women do get used to it having a male. But if there was a chance I believe many would see a female.

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 5:00pm
Angel you said:

>>>I personally think OB/GYN should be left to women<<<

I personally think that is a sexist comment LOL

Angel you said:

>>>Well, yes and you say the knowledge of a female
gynecologist and male gyneocologist are the same, physically
yes but a woman does have an advantage over a male
somewhat <<<<

This is true for both men and women....Women don't know the
mind of men as all men think differently just as all women think
differently ( i mean different in the sense of individual
personality). As far as human anatomy yes there is the
advantage because men do not go through life cycles like
women yes in this manner I agree.

Angel said:

>>>Women understand women better on an emotional and
intutive level this is where and what women want most of all<<<

This may be true but this is an assumption of the negative
because you're saying that male gynecologist do not
understand women or just some? Overall those are good
points but to me that is kind of sexist. Sister Ummziba came
from the Quranic standpoint because she believes that the
examination of the woman's genitalia (yes I am being
grammatically brutal here don't be squeemish!) is not modest if
the male doctor is examining but as Kim says they are just
patients.

Not to be so cruel in metaphors but its the same with being a
sandwich maker you make a 1000 sandwiches if someone
makes your sandwich it is not like its the first time for the
sandwich artist because they've made 1000 others before
yours. Again in their minds ots about professionalism and trying
to advance the human condition but in your mind your are
embarassed because he is examining your lower area. To me
it wouldn't matter. Each examination is meant to save your life
so why does it matter what sex they are?

Now you ladies mention the standpoint of emotion.... Ok let's
go there then. Yes its understandable and true that women are
attentive to other women. I believe the connection of
understanding is there, but I don't believe that it should have
any bearing on sex because the male doctor can be as
emotionally inclined as the female. Ladies there are some
sensitive men in the world!!!!!!

As for the rules of modesty I don't think one oversteps those
rules because this is for the purpose of examination. Now there
are cultures who feel that modesty plays a part and as an
Americvan I think its wrong but I respect their views nontheless.
Again ladies as Kim mentions these individuals both men and
women, ar skilled at what they do have performed many
examinations over and over and over. Comfort level has no
comparison to one who can possibly save your life. To me I'd
rather choose a highly skilled doctor be it male or female.

liyala View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liyala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 9:28pm

Israfil,

I agree with Angel. I suppose most women, muslim and non-muslim would too. I strongly feel that practicing OB/GYN should be left to women. Although studying it to further their professional understanding though is a fine for a Muslim man.

Psychological and physical comfort depends on past experiences and perceptions. No matter how much a man studies about the anatomy of a woman, he is not a woman, and therefore the women doctors would have at least that distinct advantage when it comes to treatment and understanding. I wouldn't however go as far as Ummziba who "...would rather die than go to a male ob/gyn..." There are exceptions to every rule and Allah knows All.

liyal.a
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 11:34pm
That's quite fine that you agree with Angel there is no harm there lol.....
Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

I will be more blunt - for myself, I would rather die than go to a male ob/gyn.  It has nothing to do with his competence or knowledge or qualifications.  It is purely a matter of modesty.  Maybe other sisters feel differently.

God help you if you hemmorage and there is only a male OB/GYN there.

Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by kim! kim! wrote:

I have a friend who has an inverted uterus (it kinda "leans" in the opposite direction , if that makes any sense)

Anyhow, she tells the story of 2 different gynaecologists she has visited - one a female, one a male. She said the female doctor, when doing a pap smear and whatever treatment was needed that day really caused my friend a lot of pain. She said she was quite rough with her and my friend was quite upset by the incident.

By contrast, she said the male gynaecologist was gentle and very very careful with her and caused her almost no pain and absolutely no distress at all!

Kim...

Had the same expierence here Kim and I will never go to another female Gyno! The OB/GYN that did my C-Section is the best in the buisness where I live and knowing that why on earth would I trust my health and my pregnancies to anyone else?

Lameese

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 3:15am

I think, Israfil, you missed a few points I made, I agree with kim also, its there right on top of the post

I'll come back later, as I am leaving work now

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 5:18am

Assalamu alaikum,

I'll never read this thread at bedtime again.  Last night I dreamed I gave birth.  It was my fifth child.  It was a boy, I named him Omar Mustafa.  The labour was not too painful.  Now the scary part - it was a male doctor, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh .

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic