IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sisters read this!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sisters read this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2005 at 8:03pm

Now deep down the feelings some of you have upsets me. First it starts off as preference but as you sisters with the exception of a few here explain yourself more it sounds more of sexism than anything. Now this perhaps is unintentional because you have your beliefs and you align them with Islam which is understandable. But if you have left it as a preference then I would as a man except that logically, but its illogical to say (in my humble opposition) that backgrounds should be checked especially if you're a man!

This raies another issue within our community we (and I'm making up a word here) hyper-genderize our society. This has nothing to do with mizing but in regards to daily issues concerning ourselves. We are too afriad to talk openly about sex because of culture (non-Islamic that is) we do not discuss openly what bothers us mentally. We do not try to understand each other. Perhaps this is the only and open prt of our community that bothers me. We most of the times try to separate ourselves rather than unify ourselves and again this is not about mixing. This reminds me of a sister today whom I said As'Salaamu Alaikum all the time I see her at work yet she never looks at me nor greets me back. again this has nothing to do with mixing or lust but of respect to her I greeted her and according to our faith it is mandatory to greet back.

To me I have an edge in the sense. Because I was raised by a woman I understand (as I am myself) sensitivity and about certain issues that women deal with regardless of ethinicity. I believe that the issues dealing with women are historical and modern as well as personal and emotional on all fronts. But herjihad I raise the question as well as you other women how can you expect a man to learn and understand you if you choose to be seperate from him? Again this is not mixing....I've said this so many times so I hope non of you sisters turn this as a way of mixing. This is the one thing I respect of non-Muslim women is that most do ask questions about what men need and expect of women. No offense sisters but herjihad that really bothers me......

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

but its illogical to say (in my humble opposition) that backgrounds should be checked especially if you're a man!

I agree with you, background checks should be done on both genders.

Quote (and I'm making up a word here) hyper-genderize 

better watch out, they'll put that in the dictionary next time  

The rest of your post, I agree with.

Israfil, i think you need to understand, if women perfer women because it makes them feel better then it should be fine, whether you think or see it as sexism is not really the point. I'm sure, no I know infact, there are many men who perfer to see men on some certain issues because they feel more better and comfortable and not to do with sexism.

Yes, I'm pretty sure when it comes to emergencies then either gender will be fine or will have to do because all that matters is, is your health.

Herjihad, do not think that malpractice also happens with female doctors ?

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Just as I prefer a female doctor/nurse practitioner, I also prefer female friends. 

I have nothing wrong with your preferences, as I do agree with them, but please tell me, how do you get to know the opposite gender if you don't share, or expect them to get to know and understand you? 

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 10:45pm

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

so in reality we are all in agreement here then....

yep  

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 12:48pm

Bismillah,

Salaams,

Specifically sexual assault in the medical field is perpetrated by men in numbers significantly increased over that of women similar to the main population in America and the world over.  The numbers tell me that statistically it is safer to be seen by a female medical professional where my privates are concerned.  Also, as I said, I simply prefer the company of women to that of men.  I enjoy talking with my female nurse practitioners.  I have seen male doctors and they were polite and informative.

Men should study and practice all fields of the medical profession, just as women should.  The more knowledge the better.  There are enough women who don't mind seeing a male, or who indeed prefer it for my preference to be statistically non-significant.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 12:45pm

Personally, the way I pick my OB/GYN is calling professional organizations and basing my choice off of years of experience, complaints filed to the AMA and the State Medical Boards.  I research my doctors and know where they studied, how long they have been in practice and what their specialties are.  I do not regard sex when it comes to my health and given a miracle the health of my unborn.  I had a male doctor and a female doctor both miss a critical condition I had and now that my condition is advanced it is very unlikely I will have children.  I will not make that mistake again.  My current doctor has been in business for 27 years, I know where he's studied and I know that he's retired from deliveries.  He now focuses on health and fertility.  One of the other doctors in his office will take over my care if I should have a child on the way.  Women in the USA should take advantage of information services to pick the best educated and experienced doctors, and if she prefers a woman, still check out the educational background of that doctor. 

Unfortunately, in foreign countries, where in many cases women are denied education, they may not have those choices.  They may be stuck with the village midwife or the male doctor who studied in a foreign land.  We sometimes do not realize how good we have it when we make these choices.  To better our communities all over the world we should support the education of female doctors all over the globe. 

In the end when it comes to medicine, education is the answer.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 2:30pm
Angela great post
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 10:37am

Bismillah,

That's a great approach, Angela, for places where it is possible and for people who can accomplish it.  I preferred my second midwife because she had eight children herself.  This is an important type of experience for someone to have for childbirth.  Being close to a hospital and having a midwife who works easily with the local hospitals and doctors is vital.

Getting to know the opposite gender. Well, why is this important?  Getting to know anyone can be difficult.  I know my friend's husband pretty well because he is has an open personality.  Anyone could know him who wants to.

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic