IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Iraqi Virtual Science Library  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iraqi Virtual Science Library

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iraqi Virtual Science Library
    Posted: 08 May 2006 at 9:32am

On occasion America does do something which appears to benefit the fine citizens of Iraq.  I believe the following article proves this:

"

U.S. Officials Launch Iraqi Virtual Science Library

Public-private partners build online science resource for Iraq

By Cheryl Pellerin
Washington File Staff Writer

Washington � U.S. officials, scientists and publishers launched the Iraqi Virtual Science Library (IVSL) May 3, a digital portal that gives the Iraqi science and engineering community free online access to millions of scientific journal articles and other resources.

At the National Academy of Sciences in Washington, Paula Dobriansky, under secretary of state for democracy and global affairs, and Kenneth Krieg, under secretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics, joined Samir Mohamed Al-Sumaydi, ambassador of Iraq to the United States, in unveiling the online library.

The IVSL, a free resource for scientists and educators in Iraq, is a partnership with the U.S. departments of State and Defense, computer firms, universities, publishers and the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.

Over the next two years, the IVSL will be transferred to and ultimately owned by the Iraqi government.

�Together,� Dobriansky said, �this extraordinary group created an electronic library that gives Iraqi students, faculty members, scientists, medical doctors and researchers access to over 17,000 journals and literally millions of full-text articles on science and engineering � the same access enjoyed by a full professor at MIT [the Massachusetts Institute of Technology].�

Such knowledge is critical to rebuilding Iraq�s scientific and university communities devastated by three wars and the Saddam Hussein regime, she added.

�Iraqi science and engineering practices, codes and curricula are now about 20 to 30 years behind international standards,� Dobriansky said, �this is in a land which is home to a rich history of mathematic and scientific advances in fields such as algebra, geometry and medicine.�

BUILDING THE LIBRARY

The idea was sparked by the experiences of Alex Dehgan, an ecologist working in Iraq to rebuild the Museum of Natural History as a Science and Technology Policy Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).

The yearlong AAAS fellowships help establish critical links between federal decision-makers and scientific professionals to support public policy.

Working with Iraqi scientists, Dehgan saw their tremendous need for access to updated scientific literature. He and two others � Susan Cumberledge, a biochemistry professor at the University of Massachusetts and another AAAS fellow, and Bill McCluskey, director of the DoD International Technology Policy Office, began to enlist the help of other AAAS fellows to develop the concept of an Iraqi Virtual Science Library.

University of Maryland scientist D.J. Patil, a AAAS fellow in the Defense Department�s Defense Threat Reduction Agency, was enlisted and spearheaded the digital library�s design, implementation and funding.

Ultimately, an interagency working group of current and former AAAS fellows was established to implement the IVSL through the departments of Defense and State.

PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERS

The AAAS fellows used their professional contacts to engage a large number of collaborators to develop public-private partnerships to support the library.

Government partners include the departments of Defense, State, Agriculture and Energy along with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency and the Army Corps of Engineers.

Other partners include the Iraq International Center for Science and Industry, private scientific publishers such as Springer Publishing, Sun Microsystems, the University of Maryland, Cornell University, Yale University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the National Academy of Sciences and others.

The partners have provided associated computer software, information technology training, and some computer and communications hardware.

VIRTUAL SCIENCE

The Defense Technical Information Center built the IVSL Web site and the National Academy of Sciences negotiated subscriptions to a broad range of science, engineering and technical journals with funding from the Defense Threat Reduction Agency and the State Department.

To access the virtual science Web site, users must be affiliated with one of the supporting institutions.

These include seven universities, the Iraqi Interim Center for Science & Industry, the Iraq National Academy of Science and Iraqi Academy of Science, the Ministry for Higher Education & Scientific Research, and the Ministry of Science and Technology.

When a user registers, e-mail is sent to a registrar at the user�s institution for verification. Once verified, users receive a login and password.

Users have access to the latest scientific journal articles, as well as other scientific and educational resources.

�Imagine an Iraqi doctor using the information available on the Iraqi Virtual Science Library to discover modern treatment options for tuberculosis or dealing with avian influenza,� Al-Sumaydi said.

�Or an agricultural engineer learning of methods to deal with soil salination and develop drought-resistant food crops,� he added. �Or a civil engineer interested in the latest peer-reviewed literature on constructing earthquake-resistant structures.�

The IVSL is an endless resource, Al-Sumaydi said, that will improve the everyday lives of Iraqis in practical ways and rebuild Iraqi scientific and engineering education.

FOR IRAQ�S FUTURE

The IVSL is being implemented in coordination with the Iraqi government, with the goal of transitioning the pilot program over two years into a long-term project sponsored and supported entirely by Iraq.

�U.S. government experience in the former Soviet Union,� the Defense Department�s Krieg said, �showed that reaching out to the former regime�s scientists and reintegrating them into the international scientific community is an effective means for reducing the proliferation of WMD [weapons of mass destruction] expertise and building long-term relationships.�

Retaining the intellectual capacity of Iraqi scientists and engineers in productive pursuits in Iraq,� Krieg added, �is essential to building a peaceful, democratic and free nation.�

The IVSL is online and has been beta tested � it�s final stage of testing. In the next phase, the partners will expand the user base, develop training programs and add educational resources with Iraqi colleagues.

�This is a great day for Iraqi academics, a great day for Iraq,� Al-Sumaydi said. �It is one scientific community reaching out to another scientific community, and this will be remembered.�

May God Grant Us Understanding and Peace,

Patty

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 1:05am
"Wow!! Thanks America for giving me access to thousands of scientific journal articles.  All it cost was my country's infrastructure, stability, billions in oil revenues, 100 000 dead civilians and my dignity when Marines bust into my house scaring my wife and children in the middle of the night, send me to a secret prison where weirdos abuse me and take pictures of me naked.  A small price to pay for journal articles. Yay America!!!!"
-Iraqi Scientist

Edited by Megatron
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 9:36am

Edited by Hanan
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Hanan Hanan wrote:

Patty wrote: �� the fine citizens of Iraq.�

That�s Bush-speak � the fine citizens indeed!

Patty, do you have information on how much of the irreplaceable treasures of Iraq�s museums has been recovered from the Iraqi and American plunderers? You know what I mean ... yours and my history!

With all due respect Hanan, that is MY speak.  I rarely watch Bush at all!  What would you like me to call these people?  Good Grief!!!  I treat the Iraqi people with respect and you insult me for doing so.  Is it any wonder I'm confused?  And, yes, very regretably I have read about the museum pieces being looted.  Of course I do not approve of such a thing.  You know very little about me, obviously.  I am not mean spirited toward anyone.  So why are you so confrontational towards me?  Is this how we learn the road to peace?  I don't think this is what our God had in mind for us....we are to learn peace and love for ALL our brothers and sisters.  Correct?

Peace be with you always.

Patty

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Megatron Megatron wrote:

"Wow!! Thanks America for giving me access to thousands of scientific journal articles.� All it cost was my country's infrastructure, stability, billions in oil revenues, 100 000 dead civilians and my dignity when Marines bust into my house scaring my wife and children in the middle of the night, send me to a secret prison where weirdos abuse me and take pictures of me naked.� A small price to pay for journal articles. Yay America!!!!"-Iraqi Scientist

welcome, now we will rape your 14 year old daughter & kill her.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 5:03pm
What a totally sick thing to say when I'm honestly talking about peace.  And Israfil wonders why I'm so pessimistic?? 
Patty

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Patty Patty wrote:

What a totally sick thing to say when I'm honestly talking about peace.  And Israfil wonders why I'm so pessimistic?? 

I have read through quite a few of your posts, you ram charge the war party's POV without any concern for the feeling of the victims of the aggression. You keep harping the on the moronic stuff like starting this current thread. You  seem  like  Bruce's(95000) twin trying to tow the official line which you may deny.
Who would give a hoot to this virtual library when most of the country has virtually been destroyed. And what remain will be gone sooner than later. I won't even tell the slyboots to leave Iraq. Their fate has sealed and you know what I mean!!
By your signature and approach you are give the impression that peace means everybody surrendering to your Jesus or mother Mary's way>>>>>>>>>>say yes or no. Don't you worry about Iraq--the clock has been set!! They wouldn't need the libraries any more.
I have news for you that 99% of all who will come to rob the treasure of Euphrates will be killed and that does not exempt anyone including Gringos(As warned by the Holy Prophet)  
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 12:17am

Edited by Hanan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic