IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fascinating Womanhood  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fascinating Womanhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 6:52pm
"And I don't beieve all women are meant or should be mothers.. I don't believe that . In fact there are a number of women that don't have that "nurturing" instinct. Ar they "less then" for not having it? Not really."

I am 100% sure not all women should be mothers. There have been a number of high, and not so high, profile cases in the States of mothers committing infanticide.  In most of the cases the women were stay at home mothers who were isolated and completely overwhelmed. They could not take the pressure and snapped.

I believe there are women who are more suited to homemaking and child rearing, there are some women who are more suited to pursue their happiness outside of the home, and there are some women who can do both.  It should be the choice of the woman which path she chooses and what will make her happy.

What I took exception to was the original post:
"2. Puting his needs before others (herself, home and children) - manytimes in busy households this is undermined, because she is equally busy, working and tired. Women by nature have the tendency to care and comfort. It is missing in our homes and  social set-ups where women are working.
3. to not assert herself as equal in many qualities - working women have the ability ot excel, and not every couple is able to handle this with grace - rather not every working woman thinks she may be stepping over her husband's sensitiviteis if she asserts herself in a certain ways. 

I am not debating that a woman is going to lose ALL her feminity if she goes out to earn a living - but it affects her, when she is away from home for same number of hours as her husband, and is facing similar challenges of the world as himself she is not the same woman as one who spends her time in more feminine chores"

I don't know about you, but the sisters I know who have children are just as tired and worn out by the end of the day as the sisters who work outside. Some even more so because when you are working outside the home at least you get a break.  And many stay at home moms I know are desperate for adult company and conversation. I think using your mind to excel at something you enjoy doing is a stimulant rather than exhausting.

Also, I am not sure where you got the notion that Allah did not create women equal to men. I would really like to see this from the Quran, because I have posted numerous Ayat that state just the opposite except for the area of maintenance, which is not something inherent in our creation but an obligation placed on men. 

What exactly are feminine chores? Cleaning the toilet and taking out the trash?  Who labeled household chores as feminine? I think men can wash dishes and vacuum just as well as women. They may not like to, but hey, neither do most women.

"And just a small comments on this above note of yours - who do you think is this "we" educating men. In my opinion, this should be the women. Because mothers are best teachers! "

But if you are teaching them that a woman's place is in the home where she is inferior to men and must not assert herself or excel, what are you really teaching them?

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 27 June 2008 at 6:53pm
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 4:57am
My own 2 cents. Though I may agree slightly with 1 or 2 things the lady in the article says . . . My opinion is that motherhood/domestic work is PART of bieng a woman . . .however it does not define womanhood. I also think it is unfair to label housewive's as more feminine since I think it degrades those who work. . . BOTH are essentially doing a good job and contributing in thier own ways. . . One cannot say what is better. Not bieng a mother does not mean a woman is incomplete. . . I also dont think that women who sew, bake cookies and cook are any more feminine that don't ! Tongue

However I do think that a lot of ppl have started downplaying the role/importance of housewives' and stay-at-home moms, and dont consider thier job as a proper one. Although they do more work then those men/women who have a career.

Edited by Chrysalis - 28 June 2008 at 4:58am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 7:26am
I like that question, what exactly is feminine chores?

It's just house cleaning, that is done by either gender, it's just that women majority do the house cleaning. I read a report some time ago, this year, that while men have increased their time to do house cleaning, women are still doing much of it.
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

I like that question, what exactly is feminine chores?

It's just house cleaning, that is done by either gender, it's just that women majority do the house cleaning. I read a report some time ago, this year, that while men have increased their time to do house cleaning, women are still doing much of it.

But when did they become "feminine" chores?  I don't think I have personally ever known a woman who woke up in the morning and felt compelled to clean the bathroom because she wanted to feel more feminine.

I suspect in many countries tilling the fields, planting, farming, clearing the land, selling charcoal and wood, are considered feminine chores because women are the ones who do them. Does this make them more masculine? I don't think so, I think they do what they have to do to survive.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 7:31am
I have no idea, that question is the first time I heard, even here at IC Smile
Like I mentioned I think its because women majority do the house cleaning, look after the kids, cook, mend clothes - not because they want to feel feminine.

And yes you're right women do attend the fields and farm the land, so feminine chores is a misrepresentation.
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:59am

But when did they become "feminine" chores?  I don't think I have personally ever known a woman who woke up in the morning and felt compelled to clean the bathroom because she wanted to feel more feminine.

LOL

Nothing would make one feel less feminine than having to scrub the toilet-bowl.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 8:50am
 I don't think I have personally ever known a woman who woke up in the morning and felt compelled to clean the bathroom because she wanted to feel more feminine.

i dunno.. this is the highlight of my most feminine moments. Maybe most women fogot to do their make-up and dress up before they clean Big%20smile
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

I don't think I have personally ever known a woman who woke up in the morning and felt compelled to clean the bathroom because she wanted to feel more feminine.

i dunno.. this is the highlight of my most feminine moments. Maybe most women fogot to do their make-up and dress up before they clean Big%20smile

I wear my pearls....
Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic