IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - my mom wont let me marry him  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my mom wont let me marry him

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2006 at 3:55am

Salaams and Bismillah,

Dear sister,

You've been given a lot of really good advice.  Think about it clearly.  Are you close to your mom?  Then I would really consider marrying someone who she is also happy with if you can.  And be patient.  Maybe she will change her mind in a year or two if she sees this man waiting patiently for you.

Salaams

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 1:22pm

As'Salaamu Alaikum Wa' Rahmatullahi Wa' Barakatullah

I did promise to stay away from posting my opinions but I had to respond to this because this is HIGHLY offensive to me. Comments such as: You've been given a lot of really good advice.  Think about it clearly.  Are you close to your mom?  >>>Then I would really consider marrying someone who she is also happy with if you can.<<<<

And comments such as: >>>With about half of all marriages in this country ending in divorce, your family's objections are legitimate in my opinion.  I believe that most successful marriages are those in which couples share common ethnicities.<<<<

Are the reasons why I myself am slipping away from the community of Islam. The person who actually gave the best advice was UmmAminata as she dispelled the previous arguments regarding African-American men. I myself being African-American male is very much educated. Steady Job. Also I have a two story house and very much living comfortable. I paid the house with all the hard work that I've done and right now I'm persuing my doctorate in Philosophy (also contemplating Psychology as well). My point is, is that if we do things such as getting married to those that our parents feel happy we are with we are not getting married for a legitimate reason. I think that marriage is about what we want in a spouse not what our parents feel is best for us.

Brother Abuayisha no offense, but your thinking culturally, not rationally. Just because you cite a fallible statistics upon American divorce does not mean that, such a statistic has to be apart of this young girls reality. The world thinks half of Muslims are terrorist, but does this make this statistic true? No. Don't look to statistics to reflect upon what trully is even if the statistics are based on valid information. Look to what your heart is and judge your heart with his as well as what his intentions are for you in marriage. If he truly loves you and if your Deen is compatible with his and if he has goals for himself then his efforts for his goals will reflect on marriage.

What I will adivse is the only difficulty you'll find is if you live under your mothers roof then the decision will be hard for you especially if your mother provides a roof over your head. Your decision may result (which Middle Eastern and Far Eastern people do) in your family disowning you or kicking you out of the house. Not saying that is what they'll do, but that is a reality some interracial couples face. The decision is yours but before you even consult your earthly parents, consult with the Creator first.

Another thing I'd like to refute especially some of the irrational patterns of thinking I've seen offline and on this particular site is that marriage is not about one's ethnic group as sister UmmAminata states. Marriage is about adding to the spiritual connection one has with the Creator as well as to develope a spiritual bond. We all are humans and we all came from one substance. Just because our cultures are different doesn't mean that our lives will be difficult. Part of Jihad is to overcome difficulty and I can relate this to marriage. Also, Compatibility does not equal a successful marriage. I'm sure brother abuayisha would like to confirm that there are high rates of domestic violence within Arab communities. Of course, don't take my word for it, do the reasearch.

Again, consult with God first, not your mother. Even if your mother dislikes this man that is usually the inital phase based off her (my apologies for sounding mean) own ignorance. If your mom only thinks in categories and only inward she is very much close-minded. If she is Muslim she fails to understand part of the Qur'an. We all are children of Adam and are a family within the bossom of Islam, therefore our success is not based off our external judgements upon each other but as individuals and as humans. Again this forum fails to promote such true Islamic thinking.

UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 2:15pm

Are the reasons why I myself am slipping away from the community of Islam.

Don't leave brother! We need Muslim men like you! Think about the black Muslim children brother They need you brother! The immigrant Muslim community doesn't truly demonstrate any serious concern about the spiritual well being of our children, only if it benefits their community financially.

I think that marriage is about what we want in a spouse not what our parents feel is best for us.

I'm responding to this strictly from an Islamic theological perspective. Based off what I have studied the marriage guardian {Walee} of the female is a male relative which often is her farther, uncle, brother, grand farther. It is the obligation of the marriage guardian to find a suitable match for their female guard. It is his obligation to find a mate based off a standard (Islam) of what is considered healthy and appropriate for her. This is where this can get tricky, because in Islam, the marriage literally is of two families comming together. How ever, no where do the standards dismiss or totally disregard black skinned people. People complain about bidah, well if this isn't bida I don't know what is. I would like to state that in the Reliance Of The Traveller translated by Sheik Nuh Ha Mim Keller that he does state a Arab can not marry a non Arab- however there is no sahih narration provided and the method of this decision is not sound. Please see your nearest sheik.

Just because you cite a fallible statistics upon American divorce does not mean that, such a statistic has to be apart of this young girls reality.

Lol! I missed that one! You know what's so funny... the three major reasons given by crediable actuaries are 1) Infidelity 2) Money 3) Children/ Mixed families! Race has nothing to do with the splits! You can see a study from Reuter's. lol !

Your decision may result (which Middle Eastern and Far Eastern people do) in your family disowning you or kicking you out of the house. Not saying that is what they'll do, but that is a reality some interracial couples face.

This is why I'm advising this young lady to consult a professional counselor and try to establish some type of support system for her self especially if she becomes a mother. The hatred of our people amongst Middle Eastern and Far Eastern is worse than the KKK! See for ya self!

marriage is not about one's ethnic group as sister UmmAminata states.It sure is NOT! Let me tell you... when challenges, obstacles, pain, suffering, which happen to every human in what we call the reality of life, your ethnicity can't help solve a dang thang - that's for sure.

Ethncity can't pay the bills, ethncity can't sooth a crying baby, ethncity can't increase your eman, ethncity can't bring tenderness and intimacy, just can't!

Compatibility does not equal a successful marriage

Finally some body get's it! It's not compatibility it's CHARACTER! If you can be perfectly matched but if your spouse is a liar, fruad, abuser, non praying, Muslim- ah- that's a problem!

We all are children of Adam and are a family within the bossom of Islam, therefore our success is not based off our external judgements upon each other but as individuals and as humans. Again this forum fails to promote such true Islamic thinking.

Brother- you are talking about what Sheik Hamza Yusuf calls " Meritourious Chilvary" unfortunately unlike the non-Muslim community which has made concerted efforts to seek healing and reconcilation, I'm afraid it ain't happening any time soon in the Muslim community. A few success stories but that's about it.

I myself being African-American male is very much educated. Steady Job. Also I have a two story house and very much living comfortable. I paid the house with all the hard work that I've done and right now I'm persuing my doctorate in Philosophy (also contemplating Psychology as well).

Brother... you are falling into that trap... You shouldn't even have to explain your self or justify- you are an adult, not a teenager or a dog. This reminds of that time during Mr. Luther King's marches when black men stood outside of federal buildings with signs in bold that said I AM A MAN. This is what you are getting at it subconsciously.

Mrs. Dia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 2:24pm

Brother a few other thoughts come to my mind on this subject.  I'm not sure how well educated the Arab, Indo/Paki, Far eastern communities are of American history, but they are teaching word for word "Miscnegation." Remeber those days black men had to hide for fear of being lynched or murdered for being with a white woman? Or black women had to hide for fear of being gang raped for dating a white man. Many of these people don't realize they are teaching miscnegation, and the aren't aware of the painful psychological issues associated with such teaching. They lack sensitivity regarding our community historically, yet cry racism at the drop of that hat if they are profiled by a Air line security agent or refused a job because their name is "Osama" or "Muhammad."

I'm not sure if you're farther, but just imagine your son being eliminated from the possibility of a basic human need " love and companionship" because he is black? Or your daughter being considered defected and her womb un worthy because she is black? Think about it from this point of view, and pull the depths of your soul as a parent instead of a Muslim.

I plan on having more children before my biological ticks off, what if I have a son the next time? It's hard enough being a black man. It doesn't matter how much wealth, status, and education you attain there is always that shadow.

continued..

Mrs. Dia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 2:32pm

During Ramadan I was at the masjid and in the women's section it can be rather chaotic due to small children, and due to adults who act like children. To make a long story short, there was a nine month old ethiopian baby boy crawling on the floor by his mother who was eating. A Pakistani sister saw the boy, walked right on top of him, and kept going. Next, the mother and some other sisters of all races started screaming at the sister, meanwhile the boy is on the floor crying, and some body screams call the ambulance! What a Ramadan hunh? To make matters worse the lady just rolls her eyes and keeps walking toward the food.  A older Pakistani woman goes to her and ask her to apologize and respect the house of Allah. She refuses. As she walks to find a seat on the floor across the room she accidentally knocks over a little arab girl just starting to walk. She picked up the little girl, gave her kiss, and apologized to the mother.  Seeing this, the ethiopian mother, threw her food across the room- and well, after that I grabbed my daughter and ran to the nearest subway!

Some people are truly disturbed brother. This is why I will not allow my daughter to attend any Islamic schools what so ever. I've heard and seen horrific things occur. What I know for sure is that if anyone ever did that my child especially a baby...

well...

You know that " ol sayin bout mamas with shot guns."

I know my self very well, and if anybody every did that to any of my children, they will see the mother bear unleashed and it won't be a very pretty site. Hate to sound violent on ya but if you mess with my babies you mess with my emotions and that is all she wrote.

Slaam

Mrs. Dia
taliyya View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taliyya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 11:26am
Wow. That story you told at the end makes me so angry. We'd have to "take it outside" for sure if it was my child being walked over as if they were less than an animal. No wonder muslims are in the state we're in. Simple islamic adab has been thrown to the wayside. And this happened in Ramadan? Subhanallah
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 11:33am

Assalamu Alaikum,

Here is a quote from Prophet's ( SAW ) last sermon:

"All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white (person) has no superiority over a black (person) nor a black has any superiority over a white except by piety and good action. Learn that Muslims are brothers to each other and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly."

And there is a hadith:

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 27:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "A woman is married for four things, i.e., her wealth, her family status, her beauty and her religion. So you should marry the religious woman (otherwise) you will be a losers.

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 2:36pm

Salaam O Alaikum Taliyya

I'll never for that Ramadan as long as I live. This Masjid is notorious for fitnah. One sister came to the masjid with a gun ready to shoot her co-wife?!

I do not go any where near that masjid, and they are constantly being investigated by the FBI all the time. I'm going to assume the fitnah there is just there.

I am never sending any of my children to any Islamic function by themselves, if I can't go they aren't going. I'd rather send them to a bible study instead.

Salaam O Alaikum Brother Peace Maker Thank you for sharing the beautiful words of the Prophet sws. Here's the thing brother...

I know that no community is perfect and pristine. We are human and are bound to fail. But here's what I have always had a problem with concerning the Muslim community.  There is just a certian low level of behaviour ( beligerence, obnoxiousness, cruelty, and verbal abuse) that is just totally disgraceful to any community claiming to have truth and living it. As long as people behave this way our community will never succeed. I respect that people have their racial preferences concerning marriage and it's their perrogative, but to spiritually cut off a large population of the creation is really terrible.

I believe people should marry who they want to marry. It's one thing to have preferences and it's another to have predjuices.

Salaam o alaikum

Mrs. Dia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic