IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The treatment of women  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The treatment of women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 9:34am

Aminah07
Groupie
Groupie

But I did like your old avatar very much in fact my son cut and pasted it he is really into S/Ws' and it was a great pic.

Because you like it I will put my old avatar on.

martha
Yet give several men the same situation, and odds are they will all react differently to it. And women also. That largely I suppose comes down to upbringing and culture. And our own individual personalties.

Martha this is exactly my point.

Both men and women react differently to different stiautions although they, according to researchers, activate brains areas stereotypically attributed to their sex. I'm more concentrating the language some women have concerning men. Angela has pointed out some interesting facts to show how men treat women but I get the feeling that these facts are personal accounts of what they believe about how women treated and how men are. I've heard this before by other Muslim women here. It is not disrespectful language but its pointing out that generalizing the opposite sex despite data and despite seemingly overwhelming evidence is wrong. But more importantly I wanted to know the experiences of women and how they want to be treated. It sounds like a dumb question but trust me according to my experiences women have varying views on how they want to be treated.

Aminah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 10:58am

WAS,

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 12:19pm

Israfil, I hope the following is helpful. You wanted to know how women like to be treated. I can only answer for myself.

Well, in my own instance, I feel very different now to how I felt when I was, say, in my late teens. Back then I liked to be treated with flowers and chocolate, and eating out at restaurants. I grew up as a typical westernised woman. I liked a man to have good manners, to open the car door, and make me feel that I was the most important woman on earth to him. I wasnt interested in men that used bad language. But one that minded his 'p's and q's. His behaviour with others also counted. It mattered to me whether he wanted to progress career wise.  So I looked for this in a prospective husband, but also realising that married life would change our lifestyle. Material possessions at that stage in my life were important.

As a young married woman I always appreciated a helping hand, and when we both worked we mutually agreed to divide household tasks. And the flowers and nights out were still appreciated, but were less. Consideration for the other is paramount. Small sacrifices are sometimes necessary. Help when children are very small, ie mid-night bottle feeds and diaper changing was important. I didnt like my husband getting heavy handed with the children at all. So it seldom happened, and then he had me to deal with.

As an older woman now, the most important thing to me is honesty. Above all else. Without it there is little basis for a successful marriage. I say this because a woman should always feel secure. It matters more the older you get. Well for me it does. After honesty- respect and consideration. I have never been a wife to demand nice things for the home, expensive holidays, loads of clothes. Material possessions mean very little to me on the whole. Returning to the young woman 3 decades back, material possessions were important then, but that was before I did missionary work in South America. After seeing the poverty there my views on life completely changed.

Have I helped in any way? Is there anything else you want to know?

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 10:31pm
Martha what you wrote was helpful and interestingly enough you gave me an evolutionary account on how your mentality has changed over time. Just recetly my significant other broke of an engagement with me due to the fact that she wanted to know what she wanted in life and in love. Of course as a man I tend to question myself and the infinite possible things that could have contributed to this act. I always tell some of my female clients who have problems with their relationships that the most essential component to relationships is communication. Regardless whether both lovers have similar religious backgrounds if they cannot communicate a marriage will not work.  This is why I ask what women want because men aren't mind readers.
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 2:06am

As Salamu Alaikum

Masha Allah, very interesting points raised here. I tend to agree more with what brother Irafil is saying.

Salams

Edited by Alwardah
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 9:28am

Israfil,

Yes, I wondered why you were asking. Communicating with a partner is more than just talking. Men I think sometimes 'listen' but dont actually 'hear' what the woman is saying. I always like eye to eye contact. Then at least you feel you are getting somewhere.

Unfortunately, in this rat race of a world, good communication can be lost purely because of lack of time, or some other distraction ie TV. 

Like you say, men are not mind readers. And women can be very sensitive beings, and need reassurance more than the man. I dont know why. I know of many men that just cant relax after work. That is a huge shame for both partners and can give added tensions too.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:16am

Interesting Martha.....

Obviously I realize communication extends beyond simply verbalizing what you want out of your partner, but extends to other areas such as body language, hand gestures etc. From my studies (which I will do my utmost to not generalize) lack of communication and organization (qualities that stem from our frontal lobes of our brains) may come from different thing ssuch as the inability to communicate properly, lack of time, insecurity. and the list goes on. But again I want more views here on how women want to be treated it helps me understand better.

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 1:16pm

Israfil,

I hope more sisters reply.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic