IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fascinating Womanhood  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fascinating Womanhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 2:46pm
Sad that my earlier post was deleted some how. But I'm curious to know how osme of you "generderize" work as feminine where there is no proven biological relationship.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 8:36am
True Israfil...
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 9:46am
hey Israfil, I don't know who came up with that term, but us in this current talk on page 2 we agree with you, just making light of it. Wink

Your query needs to be put to the original poster.
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 8:04pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir Rahman ir Rahim,

Thank you gilrs for your insightful comments. I agree that not all women should be mothers. Because children are a trust from Allah, and those who are not ready to fulfil that trust better don't indulge. A neglected or unhealthy  childhood, may only contribute problem adults to tomorrow's society.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 8:28pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir Rahman ir Rahim,

Israfil, I can talk on the phone, prepare dinner and change a diaper all at the same time. And won't feel a bit of stress. Replace me with my husband in the same scenario and he will switch the stove off, tell the person on the other end of the phone he will call back in a few minutes, then change the diaper - and that is normal. If you know men who can easily multi-task I don't have a debate there, but it is scientifically proved that men and women use different brain centers to execute same jobs. Also the connection between the left and right brain of a woman is quicker than that of a man.  (Thus women are far better than men in multitasking)
Since there is so much difference in the "functioning of the brain" of men and women, they have different temperaments and apptitudes towards same jobs. 
Having said that ....  A woman can manuver a satellite, and a man can bake a cake. And am sure it wont take a rocket scientist to figure that.  However for the success of any project we select people according to their apptitude.  Societies in olden days recognised women as better in maitaining a household. - They just had a better apptitude (altho, certainly today's woman is no good), and am sure if a boy is trained to hang clothes neatly on a dryline even he can do that. But olden societies held the philosophy that a boy can do better on other jobs if he was trained there, eg, mowing a lawn, building a bookshelf in the living room, fixing a leaking faucet etc.  However there is no debate about the intelligence of a human brain. Given the right training any one can acquire any skill.

Today if you think switching roles is no big deal, I wont argue. However I do argue that household is a "full time job" and in the today's western society NOONE, neither the man or the woman is willing to devote full-time.  People have the illusion of being able to manage, but in reality they are making a mess of things there ...

Edited by Nausheen - 07 July 2008 at 8:33pm
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

(altho, certainly today's woman is no good 

Ouch
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2008 at 8:54pm
Nausheen I'm quite aware of the neurological functions between males and females. However, one cannot deny historically that many cultures including Muslim civilization ruled under the culture of patriarchy. The prophet was not an ignorant man I'm sure he was well aware of the traditions and the culture. He couldn't possibly change everything outside the divine mandate, therefore he worked within it. This sounds apologetic to the perpetuation of patriarchy in Bedouin-Arab societies then but that is the only reason I have. With that said, one cannot help but wonder why this idea, this women staying home men work is defensible. I know it's in the Qur'an but if we look outside in the big picture you Nausheen would realize that a lot of this stems from the rule of patriarchy.

Many researcher shave found that even full-time mothers are doing more work than men. This has nothing to do with women doing full-time housework, this has to do with the entire spectrum of the family makeup. Multi-tasking is a good thing but it gives a woman no credit if there is inequality in the home. A stay-at-home mother in western society is unrealistic right now. as far as the societies of the "olden days" you mentioned, in those times that family structure worked because women had less rights as men at those times-even in the times of Muhammad women still did not have the same opportunities as women of today even in Muslim countries.

Women have more opportunities to have careers, have a good life and start a family on their own terms. women shouldn't be compelled neither by religionist nor conservatives to stay at home. I believe both men and women need to function as a unit and plan. But again I can only repeat myself and say that whole woman stay home man work thing especially in the U.S. is a no-go for me. She needs to be educated (both street wise and academically), ambitious, goal-oriented, insightful, caring, loving, faithful, mature, sensitive etc. not too many women have these qualities. This is why i'm sure i'll stay single for a loooooooong time.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2008 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

But again I can only repeat myself and say that whole woman stay home man work thing especially in the U.S. is a no-go for me.

So having to earn/work and help with the finances of the house is your requirement for a future wife?

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic