IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - polygomy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

polygomy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobody_Nobody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Aslam Alaikum Nobody Nobody,

Welcome to the forum. Where in Canada are you?

I look forward to getting to know you.

Hayfa 

Salaam sis, I'm trying to pm you but I'm encountering error...

jazakhallah
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:55pm
walaikum salaam,

I shall try also
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
sophykhan View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophykhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 10:38am
Smilethankyou everybody this is a great topic .i feel if my husband marry another he has a dislike upon me i dont know .i am white american different culture and also growing up here and seeing here everything .my husband is from pakistan he is the best man ever and so sweet .....some times we talk about pologamy i tell him its not a joke becauce it can hurt peoples feelings but i never experinced it i think it will be hard here maybe if we moved to another place or country it will be ok i think i am interested in helping him get a 2 wife???? idont know how and also worried about her if she will be ok with that i am 25 ,2 kids 7 and 4 will they be ok to see that????????
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 2:50am
Originally posted by sophykhan sophykhan wrote:

.....some times we talk about pologamy i tell him its not a joke becauce it can hurt peoples feelings

Don't even get me stated on that! Many muslim brothers think that it is amusing to joke around about Polygyny! Some are even dumb enough to do so with nonmuslims! We have a relative in Canada who tells us that there is an idiot gentleman in thier office who loves to joke around and tell nonmuslim ladies how he can marry upto 4!!! Grrrr. It is not funny! I wish our brothers would be sensible enough to know the importance and heaviness of words. Hadith says, words are like an arrow - once they leave the bow, they cannot come back.

maybe if we moved to another place or country it will be ok i think i am interested in helping him get a 2 wife???? idont know how and also worried about her if she will be ok with that i am 25 ,2 kids 7 and 4 will they be ok to see that????????

Why would you be wanting to get your husband a second wife sis? Perhaps in a rush of faith/sympathy you do so - and later you regret it. Like said before: Polygyny is not easy - it is not for everyone - it is an exception, not the norm - it has not been 'reccommended' as an extra act of faith - it is just an allowance that exists, in order to deal with certain issues WHEN they occur. A man with 2 wives does not get anymore sawab than a man with 1 wife. If anything, he will be held even more responsible - and the probability of him sinning due to injustice will increase.

Allah says in the Qur'an to the men, in verse 4:3

'but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then (marry) only one

and later on, in the same chapter, Allah says to the men again: 4:129

" You shall never be able to maintain real equality between wives, even though you are eager to., so do not lean totally (towards one) and leave the other as suspended. If you act righteously and fear Allah, then, Allah is Most-Forgiving, Very-Merciful."

So even to the men, Allah reccommends that they stick to one wife (under normal circumstances), since they will not be able to deal justly b/w more.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 3:36am

Chrysalis, you are right..men joke too often about having up to 4 wives. The impression it gives me is that they strut around like peacocks and actually give Islam a bad name in doing so. Polygany should only be practised if the man is a 'proper muslim' and goes about it carefully and respectfully and considers the feelings of the women involved. If he falls short of this then I would really doubt his understanding of having more than 1 wife.

Moving to another country would not make it easier. Also remember that in Pakistan a man needs written consent from a 1st wife to proceed with a 2nd. (though my personal experience proved otherwise.) Obviously men flaunt the laws back home if it is for their convenience. That is very sad and destroys trust in a marriage.

Some would suggest that a 2nd wife is taken because he is not happy with the 1st. I suggest the man wants his cake and eat it too. To have 2 wives increases his social status maybe?
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 10:08am
I think it is interesting that actually more men don't try to engage n polygyny... It is not a lot of men who do. It is obviously an intense subject for women..

I think we can learn alot to also see why most men do not engage in it in Islam. I think like anything else there a variety of reasons

-happy with one wife
-cannot afford it
-fears Allah (cannot do it right, be just and in Islamic manner)
-fears 1st wife.. lol
-fears society / state authority
-self-knowledge to know its not a good idea to try for themselves.. personal choice
-knows having one wife is challenging enough, but having two.. mind boggling
-thinks it is not permissable in Islam / misinformation

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 10:21am

-fears 1st wife.. lol

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 12:26pm

-knows having one wife is challenging enough, but having two.. mind boggling

Hehe....am sure men can only really cope with one wife...women on the other hand would have no trouble coping with 2 husbandsLOL
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic