IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Husbands Helping out?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Husbands Helping out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 6:23am

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Rose, that is true. But it is up to them to be nurturing and loving fathers and to make sure thier wife is happy, well rested and has time to care for her health and own needs. That way everyone in the family is well cared for, not just the husband. Peace..

Yes jenni, "please read what I write carefully".

I am very sensitive and LOVE to get as much attention as possible by my husband.

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
well View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 8:44am

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

Jenni stated: �And in wealthier Muslim countries and even in Pakistan where my Husband is from upper middle class women do basically no housework and have a fulltime maid and gardener.�

Dear Rose,

I just read your post entitled �blessed�, and it made me ponder how even in a rich country (as Jenni has pointed out above) there are � maids - who I presume are expected to (do the) work (of a housewife), as well as raise and look after her own children.

My question is - Is it fair to just pass on the work we don�t feel like doing, when the consequence of that action leads to doubling someone else�s workload?  

Angel stated: 

�Husbands helping out? Yes, they should, its not exactly going to hurt them  

If you're going to share a life to together, live in one house and maybe kids, then isn't it fair that both share the household tasks? and swap occassionally also?�

And of course Angel�.. I agree husbands have a duty to help out, and yes nothing wrong with spicing up the mundane, by alternating tasks. Excuse me if I am been somewhat idealistic, but if you love your partner wouldn�t you take satisfaction in pleasing them?    

Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 9:00am

Salaam,

Originally posted by well well wrote:

My question is - Is it fair to just pass on the work we don�t feel like doing, when the consequence of that action leads to doubling someone else�s workload?

No, of coarse not you dont tell someone to do this job just 'cause you don't feel like doing it. As couples living together both, the man and woman, are sharing everything and both want whats best for their family, future, kids,....

Excuse me if I am been somewhat idealistic, but if you love your partner wouldn�t you take satisfaction in pleasing them?

Thats what I think too, and that goes for the husband too.

TREAT SOMEONE THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED

Peace

well View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 9:58am

thanks for your reply.....

if you would be kind enough, i am interested in your opinion on the issue of the 'maid', who is a woman who has to do her own housework as well as another woman�s (housework).

if it is not right for a husband to expect his wife to do all the housework, is it right for the people (woman) employing a maid, to expect that maid to double her workload, merely because they have more money than her?

peace.....

from someone seeking equality

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 10:41am
Well, in Pakistan if people like my husbands family didn't hire maids and pay them, give them fabric for clothes and pay for thier kids uniforms and books for school they would have no food and no money. That is the reality. And my husbands family just paid for the gardeners daughters wedding. Thier is unfortunatly no other job opportunity for them. Also many of the maids are between the age of 15-20  and work to save money before they get married. Most of the women in Pakistan do not have nannies like in Saudi Arabia who take care of the kids. However they have maids who do the cleaning and laundry. Alot of the women do thier own cooking since they like it better than the maids. Anyway I have seen the women thier are much happier. They spend more time with thier kids and families. They get to exercise, relax and take better care of themselves. The can entertain more because someone is helping them. And frankly they look better and dress better than we do here because they have more time. I think in turn thier husbands are happier. And the men don't feel cheated because thier wife is spending all of her time scrubbing toilets and floors. They think thier wife is too special to do that and all of her motherly and wifely duties too. That is why my husband has no problem helping out, and if he has to srub a toilet he will too. After all in Islam it is no more my responsibility than it is his!! Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
well View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 1:09pm

�Well, in Pakistan if people like my husbands family didn't hire maids and pay them, give them fabric for clothes and pay for thier kids uniforms and books for school they would have no food and no money. That is the reality.�

Yes a reality created by whom?

It seems men are not getting paid enough money, to be able to support their wives (so that they do not need to work), maybe that�s because certain people reward themselves ludicrously high wages, at the expense of the less powerful & well off. 

Sorry if I have misunderstood what you have said, but your comments on how much happier etc. women are who are getting help with the housework (from a maid), for me only illustrates how those women have placed their (trust &) contentment in a (luxurious) worldly existence (and not Allah {SWT} and the Hereafter).

�And the men don't feel cheated because thier wife is spending all of her time scrubbing toilets and floors.�

I believe every woman/man should accept his/her duties (within their own household). There may not be many poor people at this forum, but from a poor persons perspective, a rich person saying - because I have money, I am now above doing housework, better hire someone less �well off� than me�.. Is naught but scorn of the greatest kind�..

If you can�t see that, and how people who drive for such luxuries create an ever greater gap between rich and poor, then the world is certainly only going to become an uglier place.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 2:49pm
Well, the discussion was about husbands helping out, if you read my original post I said I don't have a maid. And when I did she only came twice a month and got paid fairly well, I would not use poor to  describe her. The issue is in Islam and if you search islamiccity website you will see that it is not the wifes dutie or requirement to clean and cook. I am not telling women that they shouldn't do it. If you read my posts you will see that I do 75% of the housework. What I am saying if that if a husband cannot afford to hire a maid and his wife has no family or help, than he should fill in. And I will say again in Islam it is not my job to scrub the toilet. If I do it that is an act of kindness and charity towards my husband. But I don't have to. Maybe you think you have to, but that is only your opinion, not fact. peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 2:58pm

Salaam,

if you would be kind enough, i am interested in your opinion on the issue of the 'maid', who is a woman who has to do her own housework as well as another woman�s (housework).

Well, in my opinion I think if one is healthy and is capable of cleaning why would she want a maid. Just to sit around and watch someone go through her house as if it is hers. And take care of the kids and teach them her WAYS.

The only exception I think a woman would get a maid is when she is disable, and really can't take care of everything and needs a helping hand.

Originally posted by jenni jenni wrote:

They get to exercise,

house work is also exercise, I turn on the music and work at home, I don't realize it but I get work done faster.

Originally posted by jenni jenni wrote:

I think in turn thier husbands are happier. And the men don't feel cheated because thier wife is spending all of her time scrubbing toilets and floors.

Yes and when you say most maids are young, wouldn't the woman be scared from her husband to cheat on her with the maid. (in which I have heard of is happening).

I believe every woman/man should accept his/her duties (within their own household). There may not be many poor people at this forum, but from a poor persons perspective, a rich person saying - because I have money, I am now above doing housework, better hire someone less �well off� than me�.. Is naught but scorn of the greatest kind�..

What money can do........

Peace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic