IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sisters read this!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sisters read this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 8:10am
I think this empasis on a male obgyn is overrated. Let me say that I sought out females with both of my deliveries and had sucsess with them. However I think all of you should know as a Person who worked in Surgery, I was A surgical assistant for 6 years before having kids that your modesty is the last concern during any operation. If you have abdominal surgery your entire abdomen and breasts would be exposed and possibly your pubic area and your stomach shaved. If you have rectal surgery your bottom will be in the air naked if front of many people. And there is no way to get an all female room in most cases,99%. There will be nurses, orderlies and the doctors most likely male in and out of the room. Our main concern was safety and patient care and the last thing we cared about was you naked. It was strictly anatomy or body parts to us and we just go about our business talking and listening to music during any procedure. So the point is professinals, most of them like me have seen so many naked people men and women that we really are numb to it. We want to make the procedure go well, not stare at your private parts. I believe the same is for male gynocologists and if I lived in a rural area with no women I would gladly see one with no shame in it, and I believe there would be no sin in it either. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 9:23am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

I'll never read this thread at bedtime again.  Last night I dreamed I gave birth.  It was my fifth child.  It was a boy, I named him Omar Mustafa.  The labour was not too painful.  Now the scary part - it was a male doctor, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh .

Peace, ummziba.

Walaikum assalam sister,

That was the most interesting comment I have read so far on this thread, alhamdulillah.

If you may, the prediction of your dream is that something very nice is going to take place in your life, insha allah. Giving birth to a baby boy in a dream is absolutely positive - that is what I have heard thru sources

I had this dream once, long ago, and this was the prediction I received from a friend. Indeed something wonderful happened (no it was not a baby boy that I delivered actually), - very unexpected - something that I dont know if I was waiting for or thought I wanted, but alhamdulillah that is how it was.

So, sisters, if you want to sleep after reading this thread, please feel free  - give some credits to Israfil when your life changes for good, insha allah

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

Edited by Nausheen
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 11:06am
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

I'll never read this thread at bedtime again.  Last night I dreamed I gave birth.  It was my fifth child.  It was a boy, I named him Omar Mustafa.  The labour was not too painful.  Now the scary part - it was a male doctor, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh .

Peace, ummziba.

LOOOOOOOOOL! I feel for you! You did a lot of WORK in that dream. Maybe you will have another one :)

Lameese

Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 11:09am

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

I think this empasis on a male obgyn is overrated. Let me say that I sought out females with both of my deliveries and had sucsess with them. However I think all of you should know as a Person who worked in Surgery, I was A surgical assistant for 6 years before having kids that your modesty is the last concern during any operation. If you have abdominal surgery your entire abdomen and breasts would be exposed and possibly your pubic area and your stomach shaved. If you have rectal surgery your bottom will be in the air naked if front of many people. And there is no way to get an all female room in most cases,99%. There will be nurses, orderlies and the doctors most likely male in and out of the room. Our main concern was safety and patient care and the last thing we cared about was you naked. It was strictly anatomy or body parts to us and we just go about our business talking and listening to music during any procedure. So the point is professinals, most of them like me have seen so many naked people men and women that we really are numb to it. We want to make the procedure go well, not stare at your private parts. I believe the same is for male gynocologists and if I lived in a rural area with no women I would gladly see one with no shame in it, and I believe there would be no sin in it either. Peace

I am in health care too and everything you said is 100% correct. It is very hard on pt's that need total care but we are professionals and have seen so many naked bodies that no one cares anything about that. The pt is your primary concern, their health and saftey.

Lameese

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 5:13pm
Angel I re-read your post just in case i missed anything and I
probably will respond with nothing new than what i mentioned
before on this issue but here are your post as they are
numbered:

Quote:
why would a male choose that line of profession? Well the most
noblest answer would be to better understand the human
anatomy and to better advance the human condition.

Well, yes but in a not so long destint past being a doctor of any
sorts was basically male and its only recently that women are in
areas where once it was just men, I think even now women
doctors have a hard time getting past this fratenity of men.

1)I personally think OB/GYN should be left to women

you ask:

Quote:
is there something I as a man cannot comprehend....?

oh sure, there is, you as a man and other men do not know
what a woman goes thru what she feels

Quote:
The knowledge of a female gynecologist and male
gynecologist are the same. The go through the same schooling
and practice in the same field. Their only difference is perhaps
the salary and their sex.

Well, yes and you say the knowledge of a female gynecologist
and male gyneocologist are the same, physically yes but a
woman does have an advantage over a male somewhat

Women understand women better on an emotional and intutive
level this is where and what women want most of all, but I will
admit that some women can be rough as Kim mentioned and in
my experience women some, don't understand another
because they do not have or go thru the same as the other
woman.

I often think I perfer a woman examining me but honestly I
would just want a doctor that is sensitive......

My comments:

Overall what you said in response to me its hard for me to not
understand, and from your words ou mentioned a few things.
You prefer Female Gynaecologist but if need be you'd rather
choose someone skilled and professional and someone
sensitive to your needs. with that in mind i don't deny nor
disagree. You mentioned that medicine is dominated by males
and I would agree save nursing. Nursing there are more
women than men in nursing, well, at least here in the states.
Nursing is also seen as geneder specific, in the sense that
certain aspects of nursing are seen as feminine.

But I would agree that most mainstream mdicine is dominated
by males and i would like to believe that its because of the
applicants unfortunately that may not be the case. People here
have preferences and I respect that. but what you all must
understand that its about professionalism. Trust me my mother
used to be an RN and the stories she told me I could imagine
and I did! In fact what she used to tell me as a young child I
seen for myself working in the hospital.

Like my sandwich metaphor people make so many that the
only thing that matters is making the sandwich and not what
kind of sandwich. The same thing with examines for women. I
believe that most of the counterarguments come from cultural
philosophies that so many societies have clinged to. some of it
is the macho (or in Spanish known as Machismo) where a
man's wife being revealed to another man is a no no. Most men
who subscribe to this type of method do not want to reveal their
wives even for the purpose pf medicine to another man....

Not all subscribe to this but this is evident here at least where i
live and the hospital i work. If I said that I would prefer a woman
to give me genital exams many women would think its because
of my sexual preference and some would go to the furthest
extent of saying my lust for women, but in truth it really doesn't
matter. If the sole ethical purpose was to save my life the doctor
can be an alien for all I care. Medical ethics is all about what's
best for the patient, what's best for society and what's best for
humanity.........
hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 6:12pm
Well, given a choice I would never see a make gyn/ob because of modesty. I don't think this is just for muslim women because there are a lot of non-muslim women that feel the same way. I have been told by friends that when the doc is a male there has to be a nurse present in the room at all times. the nurse does nothing but just stands behind him and watches his hands and what he is doing-------- I think that says a lot!
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 6:48pm
Hope I don't think modesty is the case....What if the OB/GYN is
a lesbian who cannot control her desire for other women! the
same can be said so i don't think modesty or privacy is the
case. Again, modesty has nothing to do with medicine like I
said these people have seen private parts so many times that it
really doesn't matter...I think the only time when modesty is an
issue if the female hygiene is bad.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 7:30pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Again, modesty has nothing to do with medicine like I
said these people have seen private parts so many times that it
really doesn't matter...I think the only time when modesty is an
issue if the female hygiene is bad.

I'll add two things here.  One, modesty doesn't matter to the health worker who has seen more nakedness than one could count - but it may matter very much to the woman who has to expose her own very private parts (regardless that they look just like everyone elses, regardless that the people looking at them have seen it all before, regardless that the health workers are behaving most professionally) - it can still be very traumatizing to the woman.  This is even more especially so for woman (and unfortunately, there are millions of them) who have ever been sexually abused at any time in their life - this is something that may not have occured to you.

Secondly, the woman's hygiene would not be a cause for her to worry about modesty.  In my opinion, people with poor hygiene are generally unaware of it, or they would certainly do something about it!  Linking modesty with hygiene makes no sense.

Perhaps this whole topic could be summed up by stating that: as long as the health worker is professional, caring and gentle, it is unimportant what gender they are.  The most important consideration is the feelings of the patient, who may or may not be in great stress over whatever proceedure they must endure.  So, empathy and understanding are paramount.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic