IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - my mom wont let me marry him  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my mom wont let me marry him

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 5:55pm

Salaamu Alaykum,

Dear Angelina,

Please remember to pray for guidance and to be patient.  Life is filled with difficult choices that when we make them, we are more blessed when we take responsibility for what we choose. 

Each action will have a consequence, and this is the true fairness life hold out for us.  It's hard to get everything or even half of everything we want in life.  Again, Pray for guidance; breathe deeply; don't panic; be patient and be strong.

And choose a Quran study with calm people if you can find one!  Quranic recitation classes enriched my soul, and they would help you as well.  But there are classes on line as well.  And at the very least, listen to a recitation that you like.  In Shah Allah, it will calm, comfort, and guide you.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 7:32am

Assalamu Alaikum,

Since it seems your mother and uncles are dismissing this brother soley because of his ethnicity, I can never agree with how they feel.  Aren't we suposed to better ourselves?  Aren't we in this forum to spread true Islam?  There are so many people out there who have the character and commitment to make marriages work, even with racial differences.  In the end we're all judged on our intentions.  If you are attracted to a certain looking man that's one thing and everyone has their own physical preferences and we're all entitled to them, but lets not let it fall into flat-out racism.  If you don't have a common ethnicity in common and there are certain issues you'll have to deal w/ in a marriage, just remember this man could at the same time have more qualities and strengths in other areas.  Just because another man may be Arab doesn't mean he's going to be a better husband. 

Smile
angelino View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 11:27am
thank you all for your comments and concern. it seems im going to have to make a decision to stand up against blatant racism or give in and let it continue. i think the reason why these type of things continue to happen is because us, women are afraid to take a stand. we're afraid of our family looking down on us. and i admitt thats what im afraid of too. we need that one arab rosa parks to start a change lol. thanks again. salams
UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 1:38pm

Salaam Sister

I was wondering where you were?

No one wants their parents to be upset with them- especially a Muslima. And there is no love like a mother's love that's for sure.

I really, really, believe that if you do decide to do this that both of you should seek professional pre-marital counseling and try to work through big challenges like this prior to marriage. A professional counselor may be able to help you help your family.

Trust in Allah.

Salaam

Mrs. Dia
Desting2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desting2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 4:55pm
AsSalamu ALeykom sister

May Allah give you strengh, and make easy..

I can relate to what you are going ..my childhood friend went through the same thing.

not only Arabs, east Asian are racist, people who happen to be influenced by arabs such as Eastern and horn of African are racist too...

my best friend happen to be an Eastern African descent and she was not allow to marry a white Muslim, just because he is a white, has blue eyes and blond hair...she gave it up, the family will not support her and she had no choice.

another sister also strugle on her way, she eventually succeeded marrying brother of Romanian descent. And this sister goes to learn Qur'an in Islamic centre, there is a lady when she hears one of her people are marrying other races, she will say stay away from other races, don't marry them if they are Muslims too..

what kind of Muslims are these people anyways?

I just don't understand the behaviour of some Muslim people. why do they come here if they can't tolerate any other races?...they drive me nuts,

they bring with them bagages, full of racist culture...

some of them practice honor killing, why?

an afghani sister was killed by her family, she just married to white revert..why?

Sometimes I don't feel having muslim friends who have parents that are old, from Mid East, Asia, and Africa, especially Eastern Africa,

if the parents are riased or born in the western society, they are more tolerable of other races, whereas parents who just came....

anyhow..good luck sister, and May Allah S.W.A. have mercy open you.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 11:35pm

Salaam,

This is certainly my last post!

For those of you that very much dislike Western culture I'd like to say if there is anything you can learn it is the fact that at least from the intellectuals you can learn progressive thought. The problem with some immigrants that migrate to this country is they bring their 7 th Century Ethnocentrism style here. I note 7th Century because some of them think that way. Many dislike my comments because I keep it real and definitely honest about what I'm saying. In science they say the only thing that separate us from animals is our ability to reason. Well in accordance to marriage our reason is definitely not align with the credit that is given to humanity because we think very much on the outer not inner.

If we are to succeed as a true Islamic community we must start with our selves and give away our selfish desires by allowing ourselves to succumb to old ways which do not benefit us. I have to single out one who is Abuayisha who stated that there are more successful marriages with same ethnic relationships than there are interracial relationships. That may be true for now. However the gap of interracial relationships is getting much smaller everyday. Like I said compatibility does not equal success. I'd like to challenge anyone here who can prove to me that a marriage on the sole basis of race is the most successful. I swear by Allah on my soul that none of you can find one.

A relationship cannot work just by on ethnic ties. Even if there is commonality within the ethnic culture you still have personalities which are independent of themselves which require the individual to acquire such a personality. I won't go on and single out a specific culture but I'd like more of our immigrant friends to understand that humanity must not go on judging people from the outside. You women must be strong enough to make your own decisions as women. If you fear recompensation from your family then I'd say do not disobey them and forgo the marriage for now until an appropriate time.

If you cannot support yourself financially do not invoke the wrath of your parents but do not allow them to make decisions for you. In order to establish your own independence you must have the capability in making your own decisions. To judge a potential mate please consult with God first! It also helps in reading Qur'an and getting back to the basic understanding of Islam. I hope some of you who think in the 7th Century can get beyond your ways Godwilling.

J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2006 at 5:04am
Assalamu Alaikum,

I totally agree. Yes, you should still try to make things as peaceful as you
can with your family, but know at the same time that their racist behavior
is totally against Islam and there is no excuse for it. I would not marry
this brother just to prove your family wrong either (not saying that's what
you're doing). If he meets your standards and Islamic standards of what a
true husband should be, then proceed. As for pre-martial counseling, as
a matter of fact, probably any couple could use that. God knows I tore
the heart from my mother's chest when I told her I'm Muslim. It took her
about a year even to talk to me. But I did it because I knew I had to and I
knew it was right. I would suggest you talk with your mother about how
wrong her views are and educate her on what Islam really feels. Perhaps
if she realizes that what she's doing is displeasing to Allah (swt) she in
time can change. May Allah (swt) give you strength and make things easy
for you.
Smile
UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2006 at 7:10am

I would suggest you talk with your mother about how
wrong her views are and educate her on what Islam really feels. Perhaps if she realizes that what she's doing is displeasing to Allah (swt) she in time can change. May Allah (swt) give you strength and make things easy for you. - JR

Sister if her mother truly cared about displeasing Allah she would never have this attitude about another Muslim she doesn't even know. The Qur'an is clear, our Prophet sws, is clear, this woman is disregarding the truth like many of us do. We pick and choose what part of this deen (which is supposed to be a protection not a weapon) we will practice.

I'm going to say what I was told in my youth by my parents " sweet heart, pray for them, and ask God to have mercy on their soul. They are sick people and they have a diease called racism, this isn't about you, this is about them."

Also, I said to this another young lady on here. If your parents are making choices foryou you know you can't handle or live with it, be woman enough to stand up to the plate and do something about it. If you cant stand up for your own beliefs why are you qualified to get married? why are you qualified to be a mother? You need strength, you need to courage.

Salaam

Mrs. Dia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic