IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The treatment of women  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The treatment of women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 2:04pm

asalamu alaykum,

I would say some key points in addition to Martha's (which were great by the way) would be respect and consideration.  A woman likes to know the man is in charge of the house, but she also likes to know he will listen to her advice and input.  Affection is also very important for a woman.  She needs to feel wanted or else this will make her more insecure. 

I will think some more on this and add anything else I think of.

sister_a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sister_a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2008 at 1:55am

Asalamu alaikum:

Additionally, women like to feel appreciated, not ridiculed and belittled. Compliment her and she will do more for you, complain too much and she will do less.

sister_a

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2008 at 3:43am

I think overall women want to be treated with respect, love, be able to talk - communicate (but I think women also need to be mindful that men don't talk like women do and some men cannot express like women do and this frustrates women and so they complain that their men don't listen. sure there are some men you can talk and express themselves quite fine). 

Friendship, kindness

feel safe & protected

Share in with the common things and do your own thing too (although that is my personal notion) I believe that you need outside interests as much as sharing the interests you have together. You need time on your own as well as being together - and each individual has varying lengths of time. (also my personal notion)

equality

share in responsibilities

acknowlegement - I don't mean not praising every 2 seconds.

Anyway I think only individual women can only answer what women want, because all we can do is repeat the same things and assume, when indivdual women vary in what they want. 

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2008 at 8:41am
Everyone is pretty much on the same board as far as qualities women look for in men and how they wanted to be treated. Interesting.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2008 at 8:45am

Hi Israfil,

Have our comments been helpful? It seems we are all very similar

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Salams_wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2008 at 8:48am
Women may be complicated, but they aren't as complicated as men think.  The comments make me think of that song by Shania Twain called Any Man of Mine.  I about died laughing when I realized it was popular in the mideast and asked if people really knew the meaning of the words.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 12:49am

Martha yes your comments were very helpful.

Salams_Wife I concur that women are complicated but so are men. When dealing with human beings its quite hard to understand what the other wants this is why I ask this question. I hope the brothers are reading this.

lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2008 at 3:34pm

As-salaam alaykum warhamatullah

I wish I had been privileged to join this discussion earlier.But am glad mash'Allah that my dear brothers&sisters who have contributed so far did justice to the'topic'.

I agree with so many facts stated here.And I would like to reiterate that,the complexity of human nature makes it difficult to really understand each other.And I believe communication is a 'major tool' in breaking this barrier.

This fortunately enough (the topic we're discussing) happens to be something I insha Allahu want to Write about in the future.The relationship that exists between men &women (Islam as a case study).I have discovered over the years that,so many things go unsaid,unaddressed& somewhat 'ignored' as sacred &a no-go area,which isn't supposed to be the case.In most gatherings,what we hear all the time is how the 'wife should be "obedient" to her husband&not the other way round.Isn't it time we changed that cliche by addressing the fact that some women suffer in silence all in the bid of being'a Pious wife'?The Ummah needs to know that women,just like men deserve the goodness they derive from their spouses in return.They need to understand that,even though Allah has given the man,right over the woman,He did not deny her the gentle treatment,kindness,affection and respect from her husband.The man is the head of the family no question about that.But the woman needs to know she is respected&appreciated for all the support she gives,whether she's working or a stay at home wife.The work she does at home cannot be quantified as it's a continuous one.And this is the reason she needs to feel secured.To feel that her efforts are been appreciated.

I personally believe every woman wants her man to be caring.No one wants a rigid,holier than thou man for a husband!What's the joy in that?

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic