IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Husbands Helping out?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Husbands Helping out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 3:16pm
Well and Rose, it seems to me the two of you may be resentful of wealthy people. Unless you propose communism, there will be richer and poorer people in the world. And if you don't want help thats fine, the point is within islam, not your own opinion a woman has a right to help. Thats it. She is not a maid, or slave or servant for her husband. If that is the role you want, thats fine. If my husband wanted to marry me just to have someone cook and clean than I would not have married him. But he wanted a companion and partner, so we work out between us what is fair for everyone. And I don't know if the two of you have kids, but if you don't you may be singing a different tune sometime in the future. I had a very good job before having children and can make as much as my husband. I am sacrificing being at home for the kids, thats it. Otherwise I can go back to work and do more than just cook and clean. Which I will say again in Islam is not just womans work.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 3:17pm
p.s. A maid is not a nanny, she does not raise the kids, I think you both are having a hard time reading my posts.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 3:34pm

Originally posted by jenni jenni wrote:

She is not a maid, or slave or servant for her husband. If that is the role you want, thats fine

Please tell me where did I say that I like being a maid??

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
well View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 4:36am

Assalaamu alaikum

Dear Jenni,

It�s clear that your husband is from a wealthy family; hence unless he suddenly becomes compassionate for the poor, he is naturally going to propagate a message similar to what you have brought. I assume this is (one of the reasons) why you liked him, and married him in the first place.

I can see that you have some resentment in the fact that, you are �forced� to stay at home and look after your kids (ie �I am sacrificing being at home for the kids, thats it. Otherwise I can go back to work and do more than just cook and clean.�).

This seems to me like you are resenting been a mother, and would rather compete with your husband in work (earning money). I don�t know if you have ever thought of this (and I do not have anything against women working), but maybe when you work, you take the job of another woman�s husband, and where does that leave her?

Regarding equality, naturally there are different grades in Jannah (& hence on earth also), I just wonder how people can have the cheek to preach - moderation & equality � when they quite clearly wish to hoard as much money as they are able (which is certainly not moderate nor equal). 

Narrated Hakim bin Hizam {RA}: I asked The Prophet {SAW} (for some money) and he gave me, and then again I asked and he gave me, and then again I asked him and he gave me and then said, �This wealth is (like) green and sweet (fruit), and whoever takes it without greed, Allah will bless it for him, but whoever takes it with greed, Allah will not bless it for him, and he will be like the one who eats but is never satisfied. And the upper hand is better than the lower (taking) hand.� [Sahih Al-Bukhari: Vol. 8: 448]

Many people are been denied even a wage, so is it fair that they should be discarded merely to support a small minorities luxury? If the poor are denied their basic necessities, as a result of a greedy few, then that few have certainly not perceived the message of moderation, equality - Islam�..

Narrated Abdullah {RA}: The Prophet {SAW} said, �Who among you considers the wealth of his heirs dearer to him than his own wealth?� They replied, �O Allah�s Messenger! There is no among us but loves his own wealth more.� The Prophet {SAW} said, �So his wealth is whatever he spends (in Allah�s cause) during his life (on good deeds), while the wealth of his heirs is whatever he leaves after his death.� (*) [Sahih Al-Bukhari: Vol. 8: 449]  

* What one spends during one�s life for Allah�s sake is what one really owns, because one will get permanent reward for that in the Hereafter.

In the above Hadith man is acceptant of the fact that, his own wealth (ie good deeds) is dearer to him than that of his heirs (his worldly possessions, that which he leaves behind), hence if a person comprehends the Hadith, they may realise the hoarding of worldly wealth is indeed a bad habit. So when will we realise that �real wealth�, is the purification of our spiritual health? When did the pursuit of worldly commodities - possessions, gain precedence over good deeds � true intentions? (Exert form one of my other posts)

Equality!

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 7:00am
Well,I Have no idea why you gave me such a response. You have not read my posts clearly. Or you would not have responded in such a way. All I said was husbands should help if they can't afford a maid. It is very clear and also Islamic. And in Islam a woman can work, let me tell you my dear I work in the Medical field, when a woman comes in the Hospital, she is glad to see my face!!! Peace
ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 9:49am

salam sisters,

I hate to say this, but i have 2 maids. My husband has forced them on me. Although, i don't like having them; i need them. I have masha�llah 7 children and sure to have more. My husbands family is big and i do all the cooking on Fridays( not the maids) Also i cook everyday and watch my children. To be honest there are lots of times that i wish i could send them home. As for my husband he never comes in contact with them. They both wear face covers Masha�llah. I don't feel spoiled because my husband has provided me with maids,he says that he wants lotttttssssssss of babies and that the responsibilities that i have with his family i need them. Masha�llah friday lunch is 10 chickens/ or 1 sheep. It takes 1 hour just to make salad/and wash the fruit for lunch. If a man can afford it/why not? If he can't than he needs to help out.

Lost somewhere in the Middle East.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 5:58am

Bismillah,

I believe the easiest thing for everyone to do is to at least rinse off their own plates and glasses and put them in the sink or dishwasher.  Pick up trash, hang up wet towels, put dirty laundry where it goes, clean up after yourself as you walk through the home rather than leaving debris behind!

Wealth is a lifestyle I don't understand.  Why not have maids if you can afford them?  I have no good reason.  I can see both points of view.  However, I have personally known two women who were maids employed by wealthy Muslims who were one:  Physically abused, neglected and not paid; two, sexually assaulted by the less than human "man" of the house. 

When weddings are paid for, that sounds like real generosity.  If you employ people for generous pay which allows them to get the clothes, housing, and healtcare they need (as well as time to worship), that seems like a benefit to them and you.

For myself, although I have always been financially poor as an adult, I had a poorer woman offer to come live with me and cook and clean.   (The benefit to her would have been a place to live in safety, and I would teach her English, of course.)  But I could not accept her help even though I was pregnant and often ill and unable to clean or cook large meals.  I felt I would have been taking advantage of her.  This is just how I felt.    I found a home which could pay her instead.

I believe men and women should share work equally as much as both individuals are able to bear the load, whether it is outside or inside the home.  Working together would be lovely rather than each waiting for the other to fulfill his or her supposed duty. 

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 6:19am

Salaam,

herjihad,  you have done a good thing about the lady and May Allah (swt) reward you for that.

you said" Working together would be lovely rather than each waiting for the other to fulfill his or her supposed duty."

exactly, I wouldn't wait for my husband to tell me to do something, I just do it. And also my husband doesn't need me always telling him do this and do that, he helps without me telling him. Both partners need to understand eachother and know when help is needed.

Peace

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic