IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I’m so angry  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I’m so angry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2005 at 1:28pm

I would like to suggest a book that I read about the "plight" of Saudi women.  Princess and its sequel Princess: Sultana's Daughters.  They detail the life of a member of the royal family.  It was a real eye opener.  But in the end, Muslim or non-muslim.  Sharia Law or Western Law.  Domestic Abuse is a wide spread problem that has little to do with sex and more to do with power and control.  The rape and abuse victims I counselled were not victims of stranger abuse but from their husbands or relatives.  This is not something that changes with religion, this is a problem that changes with education and openness.  Once rape or abuse is no longer blamed on the victim, then the real criminals can be punished.  All too often, the victim is made to feel its her fault.  By dressing sexy, or giving him a come hither stare.....or not cooking dinner exactly the way he liked it.  Oh, and my favorite....she couldn't keep the kids quiet while he was watching his football game. 

Jenni's right, ignore the man who knows nothing, but get involved in making a change.

Edited by Angela
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic