IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - uncomfortable at the Mosque  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

uncomfortable at the Mosque

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 5:34pm

Originally posted by lmecca67 lmecca67 wrote:

I have been practicing Islam for about 4 years. My problem is this: When I go to the mosque, I end up going home and crying.  The sisters are not friendly to me and the brothers are not friendly to my husband. Our children are always looked at as if they are out of control.  I try to carry on  conversations but they all gather in their own cliques and I am left in a corner sitting alone. The "straw that broke the camel's back" was during Ramadan, we went to an iftar, no one spoke to me or my  family and we ended up leaving.This is everytime that we go. How many times do you get your feelings hurt before you say enough is enough?

Salaaams and Bismillah,

It seems that many of us relate to your post.  When I first went to the mosque with my dear neighbor and sister-in-Islaam who encouraged me to go with her and buy a Quran, the women stared me down for whatever their reasons -- it was a house by the mosque and just women were there, so my friend saw no reason for me to wear a scarf when I wasn't Muslim.  I didn't go back for years, although, I looked for other mosques when I became Muslim.

However, the benefit you have is the internet.  We really are here for you.  Find a group of us that you're at least semi-comfortable with.  I rarely see other Muslims that speak with me anyway, but I have formed dear friendships with sisters here on the web. 

And you can keep trying because one mosque I went to there was a sister, years ago, who I'll call the friendly greeting committe rolled up into one person.  And she is still my friend and we bumped into each other at a mosque.  ISA you will find good, true, loving Islaamic companionship too.

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 9:18am

As Gandhi said:

Be the change you want in the world.

I teach kids social, assertive and self-defense skills. One thing is how to go up and greet / meet people. Maybe we should teach the adults these skills.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Muslimah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 3:15pm

Salaam Imeeca/LaQuia!

I am soooo sorry for what you are going through!!!

Well, I am 30, and I've been Muslim all my life--and let me tell that you I have gone through that SOOOO many times!!! You are not alone! I dont know what it is--but some Muslim sisters have the maturity of a 12 year old. You dont know HOW MANY times I have given the greetings to Sister's, only to have them literally look in the other direction!...As for the masjid (mosque), I have been through that whole "clique" thing. But I expect that behavior from high-school kids, not grown adult Muslim so called "Women"...

They were very rude to not speak with you at the Iftar. I would tell you that you should find a new mosque--seriously. Allah wants you to feel welcomed, and if they are treating you coldly, then maybe its time to leave. Please dont cry anymore. There are many mosques out here. Go to the "mosquefinder" section on this website, and you'll find one...And, please do not follow the advise of someone who told you to vacuum and clean up the mosque. Dont degrade yourself in that way. Life is about respect--and respect goes 2 ways. If they wont respect you, then let them clean up their own trash. There are other ways to get blessings than cleaning up for ungrateful, rude people.

Muslim Women come across as being very cold sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if its because women are scared that somebody will steal their husband, or try to become their husband's 2nd wife--seriously. Everybodys so scared somebody gonna take their brokedown looking, 'living paycheck-to-paycheck' husband.

Me, I have decided that I only need approval from Allah. Allah says that if he were to punish mankind for their wrong-doing, he would not leave on the earth a single, living creature...So, no one has the right to walk around like she's made of gold--we all fall short. As long as Allah loves me, I'm walking around on cloud 9.

Girl, I've just learned to live with all this. If I do go to the mosque, Im there to hear the kut-bah (sermon) and get my blessings and say my prayers. But, I'm a VERY friendly person, so even though the sisters are looking like they're constipated, I still smile REALLY big and say "As-Salaam-Alaikum!!!!!" , then I sit down.

Maybe soon Allah will bless you with a good Muslimah friend in your neighborhood. I'm lucky to have about 3 good Muslims friends in and I'm sooo blessed to have them--even though they're in diffrent states. They too, have had the same experineces you have--and they all cover as well.

Keep your head up Sis. Tell your Husband its going to be alright. Just find a new mosque, and see how things go.

liyala View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liyala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2006 at 2:07pm
those who turn away when you say salaam to them are not likely to look at you when you are cleaning up trash; cleaning the mosque is for Allah; because the mosque is as much yours as anybody else's; it is for you to feel "at home" and not like a visitor.

moreover, i didn't tell anyone to clean anything; it is just something i do.
liyal.a
Muslimah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2006 at 3:55pm

Salaam Liyal,

Sorry Sis, I did not mean to offend you. Yes, cleaning the Mosque is for Allah,  and you did not directly tell Imecca to do so. I apolgize if what I said offended you. I just didnt want Imecca to think that cleaning the Masjid with the sole intention of gaining friends, was going to get them all to embrace her. We clean the mosque for Allah---not with the intention of winning friends. And Allah is very clear that he is concerned with our true Intentions.

I think that everyone is in agreement that we Sisters need to be more embracing and loving to each other, and at least give the greetings when we see people walk through the door, and ask how they are doing.

So, I offer everyone a Challenge: Next time we are in the masjid--Let's Give the Greetings & Hug a Sister we Never Spoke to Before...Who's up for this???

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2006 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Muslimah07 Muslimah07 wrote:

Salaam Liyal,

Sorry Sis, I did not mean to offend you. Yes, cleaning the Mosque is for Allah,  and you did not directly tell Imecca to do so. I apolgize if what I said offended you. I just didnt want Imecca to think that cleaning the Masjid with the sole intention of gaining friends, was going to get them all to embrace her. We clean the mosque for Allah---not with the intention of winning friends. And Allah is very clear that he is concerned with our true Intentions.

I think that everyone is in agreement that we Sisters need to be more embracing and loving to each other, and at least give the greetings when we see people walk through the door, and ask how they are doing.

So, I offer everyone a Challenge: Next time we are in the masjid--Let's Give the Greetings & Hug a Sister we Never Spoke to Before...Who's up for this???

Salaams and Bismillah,

ISA, who knows, you might be hugging me.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2006 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Muslimah07 Muslimah07 wrote:

Salaam Imeeca/LaQuia!

Everybodys so scared somebody gonna take their brokedown looking, 'living paycheck-to-paycheck' husband.

LOL.  I needed a good laugh today.

Salam

niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2006 at 6:20pm

Assalamu'Alaikum Sister,

We've all been the new sister at the masjid.

I think we've all experienced the same thing.

Our family moved from CA to MI and we attend a masjid with 99.9% IndoPak families...we are not from that region so not only is their a language barrier there is vast cultural differences from dress to family living etc.....We've been going there for nearly 6 years and I only have a few sister that I talk to and it took almost 4 years to meet them....

I found out from them that they all thought I was from Iraq because I wear my clothing according to Shariah and it's almost always black...LOL...they thought I couldn't speak english.....LOLOLOLOL! Here I thought I was being ignored and guess what....Oh I had a good laugh about that and I just told them spread the word!!!!!!

Oh well life goes on....I only go to masjid for one reason and that is to please Allah and to be a good muslimah.....so just go for the right reasons and everything will work out....Insha'Allah!

I still rarely go to monthly dinners and if I do it's close to the end when it's almost time for magarib...I have a real issue with monthly dinner turnouts vs. jummah turnouts...but that's just my hang-up......

MasSalaama

Umm Abdelkhalek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic