IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2006 at 10:48pm
Mishmish , then you should be named Um Hurairah! 
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
firewall3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2006 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Yes, people are so nosey at times, it it is infuriating. And backbiting is allowed where you need help or advice, especially when you have been wronged. ofcourse, I do avoid mentioning names when i need advice. Dont want to end up  in hell!

Salam Amah, i do think when u seek justice against a person who have wronged you, that's not backbiting. insulting and testimony is different things.

of course my mom also laments about my siblings to me, and i'd assume she did as well about me to them. but i take that as merely someone who just wants to lets their steam off. i don't think she meant harm at all. for me personally, i will only take offence if the people talk bad with intentions to insult.

others who laments, maybe they're feeling emotional & simply merajuk. they maybe just need some love.

about hijab, i'd prefer muslim women to wear hijab. i admit i felt anguished when the media, even in Muslim Malaysia, kept harassing about the scarf. once a muslim man, wrote in the Muslim Malay paper  that we look ugly with it, the nation is threatened by the scarf because he's bored seeing women scarved, we look (i don't remember the exact wording) but it basically meant unattractive. he wanted the sexy kebaya girls of the 60s again. it hurts my feelings. plus the media idolizes women in skimpy dresses. it's like the cherished are really the non-scarved wearers because they're more glamourous.

but then i see Dr Jemilah of MERCY Malaysia. & that woman doctor profiled by MSNBC (i think she's sp so sweet! ). & i thank Allah, i see some who wears the scarf that i can feel good of myself. so i'm ugly, or unglamourous. but that's not important & i don't want to be seduced by something not important.

thinking about it, there's many scarved women doctors here. even if they're not idolized, even if they just neurosurgeon someone's brain or repair hearts, but they'll never win that 52 awards like the superstars (deemed as national treasures), but i do think higher of doctors, more than celebs. sorry idol stars!

Edited by firewall3
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2006 at 6:47pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sisters:

I think women are their most beautiful in hijab. It makes them glow, Masha'Allah. Now when I see women with lots of makeup and big hair, or girls wearing barely anything it looks abnormal to me.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
M E X I View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M E X I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 12:04am

as'salam alaykum wara7matu Allah wa barakatuh..

Dear asala, I would like to share with you something related to Hejab, insha'allah it can be useful for you and your decision to wear it...

Hejab is an act of obedience to Allah [swt] I think you know this verse... "And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc) and not to show off their adornment except what must (ordinarily) appear thereof, that they should draw their veils over their Juyubihinna"[24:31].

The hijab makes for greater purity for the hearts of believing men and women because it screens against the desire of the heart. Without the hijab, the heart may or may not desire. That is why the heart is more pure when the sight is blocked by hijab and thus the prevention of fitnah. But also wearing hejab we get a shield

The widespread forms of dresses in the world today are mostly for show off and hardly taken as a cover and shield of the woman's body. we as muslimahs, however the purpose is to safeguard our bodies and cover our private parts as a manifestation of the order of Allah [swt]. And well this is an act of Taqwah.

Hejab gives us eman, also is haya there are two authentic hadeeth which state: "Each religion has a morality and the morality of Islam is haya'" AND "Bashfulness is from belief, and belief is in Al Jannah". The hijab fits the natural bashfulness which is a part of the nature of women.

The hijab fits the natural feeling of Gheerah, which is intrinsic in the straight man who does not like people to look at his wife or daughters. Gheerah is a driving emotion that drives the straight man to safeguard women who are related to him from strangers. The straight muslim man has Gheerah for all muslim women in response to lust and desire, men look (with desire) at other women while they do not mind that other men do the same to their wives or daughters.

The mixing of sexes and absence of hijab destroys the Gheera in men. Islam considers Gheerah an integral part of faith. The dignity of the wife or daughter or any other Muslim woman must be highly respected and defended.. insha'allah always...

The best of the women is that one whose wear hejab being muhijabah, this way she keeps away and protects herself from any undue act, or fitnah.

May Allah give you strength to take the correct decision to wear hejab, without dread of what others say, thinks about you. ameen

amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 9:16am
Assalaamualaikum

well said mexi...

and yes, unlike how nonmuslims think....hijab covers our heads, not our brains!!

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2006 at 3:20pm

Quote Most sisters in the U.S. don't wear in, most would like to but don't. That is a fact, and as bad as things are for muslims in the west right now I don't think anyone needs to act like a martyr, we are more divided than ever, and divided we will fall...

It is sad that we should have to say this, but yes it is so true. I live in a southwestern desert town with a local air force base and have had tomatoes lobbed at me. I wear hijab over 95% of the time when I am out, I am still building my nursing uniforms to be modest and only wear a white bandanna/turban  when working. I wear long sleeved shirts under my scrubs. (that is really hot in a 120 degree summer!) I put on my Shayla when praying or leaving work. In fact I have reduced my outings so that my son or my husband are with me when I go out. and I have reddish hair and VERY blue eyes, so what? Allah (all praise be unto Him) is merciful and compassionate and knows the affairs of our hearts. What I see that is sad is that in country that was built in the code of religious freedom we seem to have little at times!

maryah

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2006 at 3:42pm

Maryah,

There is a site that alot of my mormon friends use. 

http://www.coverwear.com

The long sleeve shirts they sell are very thin material and not very hot. 

As Mormons we have special garments (underwear) that defines the boundaries of our clothing and encourages modesty.  The clothing on this site is to help with that.  I know the short sleeves and camisoles would not help you ladies, but a thin material long sleeve shirt can help greatly in the heat.  I live in Utah and it gets HOT in the summer.  Considering on any day I have three layers of shirts. 

Modesty is such a blessing, even in some non muslim faiths.  I have such a great respect when I see a Hijabi out and about.  I know she faces more dangers and greater trials than the Muslim brother with the short beard and western clothes.

Modesty helps a woman respect herself and to feel happy.  Though I disagree that a scarf solely defines modesty, its up to a woman.  Modesty is as much about behaviour than it is about clothing.  A woman can be completely immodest in her speech actions and thoughts but be covered head to toe in a niqab.  But I know women who wear capris pants and modest t-shirts that refuse to hear foul language, have rated R movies in their house and work very hard to ensure their daughters understand that chasity is the most important gift they can give themselves.

Maryah, one last thing, I knew a woman who wore a long white scarf as a nurse....but she pinned it more in the back like a babushka while at work....so the patients couldn't get a hold of it so easy if they struggled.  (She worked in a nursing home with a number of senile patients)  She was non muslim, but she wanted to keep her hair out of her face.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2006 at 3:50pm

So what, I am speaking the truth. Listen sisters, if you can't even get most of the women in Muslim countries to wear hijab(like Jordan, Pakistan, Egypt, Kuwait, Tunisia, Turkey ect.) Then you honestly think it will be so easy for women in western countries where women are harassed for them to all just go out and start wearing hijab? Please, my friend told me this-"In America you are all competing to see who is a better Muslim, you all want to turn each other into the muslims that you each think are the best. IF a woman wears a hijab, she wont accept you if you don't. Here in Pakistan a woman who does not wear hijab and one who does can be the best of friends. It is a NON-ISSUE, we don't even discuss it. IT is her choice and we respect it." Please ladies, what I have seen in the Muslim community has shown me NO EVIDENCE that the women who wear hijab are ANY MORE kind or pious than the ones who don't, the only difference between the two is that one has thier hair covered and one doesn't. ANd again if someone doesn't wear hijab, it is none of your business!!!

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic