IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - chastity, virginity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chastity, virginity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 8:01am

Originally posted by sister_m82 sister_m82 wrote:

oh me silly girl. i'm shy to say this , but.. you won't believe what's my answer to my confused question. i've just found out that Zina is NOT a SIN for nonmuslims. . and as i had proposals mostly from nonmuslims, it was weird for me when i was questioned for the first time if i was a virgin or not. yeah, now you all know who is sister_m82 , a girl laughing at her own silliness. pray for me to gain more good knowledge. sorry

after some surfings in inet to find smth on this topic, only this text caught my attention:
"Sex is a major component in most relationships. And part of finding Miss Right includes being with a person who has the same sexual mentality and physicality you do, regardless of their saintly or sordid past."

Only by people who are hypocrites.     Christians that is....  I go rounds and rounds with this one and some of my old friends.  Satan has tricked people into thinking that if it feels good, it can't be bad.  *sighs*  Those of us who believe in our faiths are called old fashioned and out dated.  I wonder if the Youth of Rome were telling their parents this as the Visgoths were knocking on the gates?

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 8:19am

I just found this other statistic I would like to Share about AIDS.

• Total Number of AIDS deaths since the beginning of the epidemic:
    • Total- 21.8 million
    • Adults- 17.5 million
    • Children under 15- 4.3 million
  • Total Number of AIDS orphans since the beginning of the epidemic:
    • 13.2 million
  • EstimatedNumber of people infected with HIV everday:
    • 16 thousand
      (6,500 of these are between 15-24 years old)
  • An estimated 9 out of 10 HIV-positive women in developing countries DO NOT KNOW they are infected. (AAWH,1998)
  • Sub-Saharan Africa accounts for only one-tenth of the world's population but continues to dwarf the rest of the world on the AIDS balance sheet, accounting for 77.98% of the global total of HIV-positive people. (UNAIDS/WHO 12/99)

Its obvious from this statistic that the problem is far wider reaching that just educating men, women need to educate themselves.  I cannot believe that millions of Africans are engaging in bisexual sex when homosexuality is such a small percentage of the society.

•  

http://www.aidsquilt.org/hivaidsworldstats.htm

(all data is effective 2001)

Edited by Angela
    Hayfa View Drop Down
    Senior  Member
    Female
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 10:09am

I agree with you Angela. Most people are either in the gay community or they have been in prison (no females there) and come out and then sleep around again.

Most of what is going on in the world is men sleeping around, especially with prostitutes, and  then bringing it to their wives, girlfriends etc. Just because someone is married and has the paper to prove it does not necessarily prohibt behavior.

Considering those men have a choice to walk through the door or a prostitute's house or not. They should take their pictures and shame them!  Yes I am harsh. But to go and sleep around, and come back home and sleep with your partner/wife and possibly kill them means strong measures should be taken!

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
    umsami View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 11:19am

Angela:

The statistics you quote say that through 2004, over 440,000 people had gotten AIDS through Male-to-Male sexual relations.  159,000 had gotten it from heterosexual contact.  The point I've been trying to make is that a lot of the people who get it from heterosexual contact in the US have gotten it from a partner who may or may not be strictly heterosexual.  Janie knows that she got infected from Michael.  What she doens't know is that Michael has sex with other men.  Hence the "down low" phenomenon. 

Here's some info from the CDC:  In the United States, HIV and AIDS have had a tremendous effect on men who have sex with men (MSM). MSM accounted for approximately two thirds of all HIV infections among men in 2003, even though only about 5% to 7% of men in the United States identify themselves as MSM [1, 2]. The number of HIV diagnoses for MSM decreased during the 1980s and 1990s, but recent surveillance data show an increase in HIV diagnoses for this group [3]. Given the high prevalence of HIV infection in young MSM of minority races and ethnicities, there is a continued need for culturally diverse prevention and education services.

According to the CDC, through 2003:

* Male to Male Sex was the transmission mode in  59% of the cases

* Injection drug use was the transmission mode in 23% of the cases

* Male-to-Male Sex + Injection drug use.... 8%

* Heterosexual sex 8%

* Other 2%

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/facts/msm.htm

Here's some more statistics for you: 

In a study of HIV-infected persons, 34% of African American men who have sex with men (MSM) reported having had sex with women, even though only 6% of African American women reported having had sex with a bisexual man.  (There's a big disconnect there!)

The rate of AIDS diagnoses for African American adults and adolescents was 10 times the rate for whites and almost 3 times the rate for Hispanics. The rate of AIDS diagnoses for African American women was 23 times the rate for white women. The rate of AIDS diagnoses for African American men was 8 times the rate for white men.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/aa/resources/factsheets/aa.htm

The fear is that the phenomenon of hiding one's sexualiy may be similar in Latino and Muslim communities where the stigma against being homosexual is so high.

If you are straight you are not immune from AIDS... but I know of no gay man who isn't acutely aware that he is in a high risk group for AIDS.  Yes, women need to educate themselves... but they also need to be aware that just because their partner seems heterosexual, he may not be.  Tha's the point of my post... and perhaps that speaks well to the Muslim practice of having a Wali (guardian) and of investigating one's spouse prior to marriage.

The scariest thing about the AIDS epidemic in Africa to me, besides its prevalence, is that the witch doctors have told the men to have sexs with virgins to get rid of the disease.  And becaue of this, rapes are occuring...even of infant girls.  Sick.

As to your LDS status, I just find it srange that you'd hang out on Muslim boards unless you were interested in Islam.  As you are quoting Joseph Smith, it doesn't seem that you are.  What is this, your internet mission?

Edited by umsami
    Angela View Drop Down
    Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 11:35am

ummsami,

You are new here, you don't know me. I have been here a long time.  I came to this board to learn about Islam after the 7/7 London Bombings.  I wanted to know why Muslims were out to kill all Christians, Jews and Westerners.  I wanted to know why Muslim women allowed themselves to be abused.  I've learned alot about Islam since then.  Does it change my belief in God, Christ or the Holy Spirit?  No, but I have come to respect Muslims and Muslimahs as a very misunderstood people.  (Much like my own.)  I have made some very dear friends here and because of me hanging out, my family and friends are become educated about how Islam is not a religion of hate and violence.  But, you know, if you want Americans to remain ignorant, you'll have no one to blame when the world continues to hate you and believe the media's lies. 

One does not need to be interested in converting in order to be interested in learning.  I've learned about many cultures and faiths in my life.  I have lived in Russia, studied India and worked for an Indian family.  I have studied, Russian, Latin, Japanese and now Arabic.  Learning is precious and we are instructed as Latter Day Saints to study and expand our minds with learning.  We are taught to build bridges, not burn them.  We are taught to see the truth whereever it is and whomever brought it forth.  Truth is in all faiths, you just have to look.  We are all children of God and we should not be hateful towards each other.

My issue with your stance on AIDS is that its too far past the stages where you must focus on men having sex with men.  Instead you need to focus on not having sex outside of marriage and knowing your partner and staying faithful within marriage.

Yes, the statistics show more gay men have the disease since the CDC started keeping track, but the percentages of increase are FASTER in the black and non gay communities.  Not to say its not still spreading like wildfire in all communities.  If you keep blaming the gay population, then the heterosexuals will falsely think they are safe.  That is what I'm trying to get through to you.  We need to work on the very real HUMAN problem.  I know a family that were all diagnosed at the same time.  The wife was anemic and was given a blood transfusion.  She was infected and didn't know, then she passed it to her husband and unborn child....they found it when she gave birth. 

I see that you understand that being straight doesn't mean your immune, but you must understand, not everyone thinks in those terms.  So the education has to focus on the disease, how its spread and how its avoided, for EVERYONE.

Mishmish View Drop Down
    Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 1:11pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

Angela, you Muslim groupie you... Here today to get your fix?

I assume these are statistics for the U.S. only? Because in India, where Aids is spreading the quickest, and in Africa, most cases are heterosexually spread. In India, there is a huge epidemic among the prostitutes there, and of course we have all heard about Africa.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
    Angela View Drop Down
    Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 1:20pm

Mishmish,

You know I'm an addict.  Its all that wholesome goodness. 

Yes, the statistics I originally posted were from the CDC website and are only for the United States.  You'd have to go to the WHO for world statistics and I couldn't find any that broke it down by exposure type on a world scale.  Still 25,000 cases to 17,000 cases, that means that 59% of new cases are not from homosexual sex in 2004....and theres the "growing" problem. 

I read a report today where 41 percent of teen girls surveyed at Planned Parenthood clinics report having unwanted sex because of fear and pressure.  They were 50% less likely to use condoms because of the same fear.  All the girls in the study were sexually active, no virgins were interviewed obviously (so that's not 41% of ALL girls just sexually active teens).  All the girls were between 15-17 and the number one reason was fear their boyfriend might get mad at them.

The study stressed teaching both boys and girls about abstinence and pressure, as well as, communication. 

herjihad View Drop Down
    Senior  Member
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 1:21pm

Why the LDS quote? Do you really think that any Muslim who believes in one God, that God had know offspring, and that Muhammad (pbuh) was the last Prophet would ever believe in Joseph Smith or Bringham Young as a prophet?

Salaamu Alaykum

I was a Mormon as a little girl, and now I am a Muslimah as an adult. Sister Angela has stated her position to you so politely.  And I say to you that it is best not to doubt people's intentions as you have done here.  Maybe next time do a forum search with her name and read before you falsely accuse her.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
      Share Topic