IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Husbands Helping out?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Husbands Helping out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 6:33am

Originally posted by ZamanH ZamanH wrote:

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Salaam sisters, I was wondering how you all feel about your husbands helping around the house. Before I got married I made it very clear that I would not do all of the housework and child care myself and my husband agreed. 

That is the reason, I feel sorry for your husband. You are too lazy or too inept. Either way, your husband should not have married you. Women from other cultures don't make such fuss.

Zaman you are wrong...you can't solve the problems from this perspective....

kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 6:35am

DO these maids get to see their own children? DO these maids get time to relax themselves? DO these maids have someone to do their housework for them? DO these maids get treated well? Do these maids get FULL TIME wages? DO these maids have happy husbands? Do these maids have husband who help out around the place?

DO maids get treated like humans?

Kim...
Who has a house that's never perfectly clean, who has no class system and who has a clear conscience...

Edited by kim!
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 6:40am

Rose, why do you think that it is a females job? Everything I have studied in Islam says that it is the Husbands job to maintain the home. The wife is not required to maintain it, if she does so she is doing an act of charity for him. And as far as taking care of the kids there is the loving and teaching them and the physical care for them such as the bathing and dressing which are just as much the resposibility of the father. Muslims get the idea that this is womans work, this is cultural not Islamic. And in wealthier Muslim countries and even in Pakistan where my Husband is from upper middle class women do basically no housework and have a fulltime maid and gardener. They pretty much only cook and thats it, if they want to. Some have nannys as well who help with the kids if they don't have thier moms or mother in laws around. Since we are living in the U.s.a and labor is very expensive I don't expect all that. But I do expect him to help around the house, since this is not my job I am just doing as a favor to him. Peace

Wow. You mean all these men are out working their backsides off all day to keep their wives, their children AND their servants? No wonder these men are so annoyed. They must feel they get treated like farm animals. Or do the servants get paid so little that the man doesn't have to work too hard?

Maybe some people need to think about earning less money and have lower expectations.

Just like some people around here seem to demand of we Westerners...

Sheesh - at least we try to _hide_ the fact that our countries are wealthy due to exploiting the third world. Apparently some of YOUR lot are doing it openly on a daily basis...

Kim...
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 6:42am
Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum,

I think every husband should be a hands-on father. Only good things can
come from that. Children are greatly affected by how often they spend
time with their fathers. There's no excuse for a father not spending some
quality time wtih his kids every day. I'd rather have a husband who
worked "normal" work hours and has time with his children rather than
working looong hours for more money. But that's just me!

Peace,
J.R.

No, it's not just you. I think you have the right idea.
Happiness is more important than money.

Kim...
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 6:52am

Well, in Pakistan if people like my husbands family didn't hire maids and pay them, give them fabric for clothes and pay for thier kids uniforms and books for school they would have no food and no money. That is the reality. And my husbands family just paid for the gardeners daughters wedding. Thier is unfortunatly no other job opportunity for them.  

This is nice, but perhaps someone needs to start trying to do something about A) the unemployment rate and, B) rates of pay.

Kim...
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 4:43am

Bismillah,

Dear Jenni,  I disagree with some of your ideas, but a discussion board is where we exchange ideas, so please don't leave.  I also agree with a lot of your ideas and feel respect for your ability to express yourself.

ZAMAN HAS NOTHING WORTHWHILE TO CONTRIBUTE.  HE ADVOCATES TERROISM AND INSULTS OUR GOOD WOMEN.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 11:55am
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Bismillah,

Dear Jenni,  I disagree with some of your ideas, but a discussion board is where we exchange ideas, so please don't leave.  I also agree with a lot of your ideas and feel respect for your ability to express yourself.

ZAMAN HAS NOTHING WORTHWHILE TO CONTRIBUTE.  HE ADVOCATES TERROISM AND INSULTS OUR GOOD WOMEN.

Oh I so agree with you about ZamanH! And he needs to remember there are men in hell too.

When the Prophet Mohamed did not make slaves of the house out of his wives. When something needed mending he did it, remember? He did not call Aisha out of the other room to fix his article of clothing. But most men think the woman is only there to keep his house, have his kids and serve him. Granted not all men are like this but many are.

My husband will help me because we both work. Don't get me wrong, he is not just going to do it, I have to ask him first. I make sure it is only 2 things at a time because if you give someone a list of things to do it becomes overwhelming. But he will help out and he will even cook because he loves to.

I think the problem with men is how they were raised. If the mother raises her son to help her and respect her then he will help and respect his wife. Most women do not make the boys in a house do anything to help and that is where the problems start.

Sometimes I wonder why women get married at all. All the work is on their shoulders 24 hours a day.

Lameese

Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 12:10pm

The problem is many men don't and even when their wife is ill or tired they don't help out without being begged or asked. I am sorry to say that many of my American or other ethnic friends husbands are far more hands on at home than my Muslim friends husbands. They just come home from work and don't move from the sofa(my husband is not like this). When we go to the park in the evening we see the chinese, americans and others teaching thier sons and daughters to roller skate, ride bikes, play sports and swim. Where are most of the Muslim dads? At home waiting for thier wives to serve them tea. This is not everyone, but most of the people around here. Peace

Jenni,

I have a friend that is married to a Jordanian and she has reverted to Islam too. Her husbands mother and father came to visit. The mother got up one morning and was throwing up blood, she is in poor health. Both her sons were yelling at her to cook their breakfast like she did back home. My friend called me crying, she was so upset that they did not even care that she was throwing up blood and they would not let her (my friend) make the breakfast. My friend then took her husband in another room and told him that his mother was sick and not to yell at her anymore to make the breakfast, he beat her until she was lying on the floor. There are a lot out here like this.

You are right not every man is like this but many are.

Lameese

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic